Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How do you define "Athletic"?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CMonster
Msg: 78
How do you define Athletic?Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

I'll make it easy. Figure out your BMI and percentage of body fat. Men/women with a percentage of body fat equal to or less than 13%/20% respectively are athletic. For every 5 points of BMI over 22 if you're male or 20 if you're female, you get a 1%/2% respective reprieve on body fat, I.E. if you are a guy with a BMI of 27 you can be athletic with 14% body fat. If you don't have a percentage of body fat that low, you're whatever the BMI chart says you are: slim, average or overweight.

This is actually the most (medically) accurate description.
 Jim978
Msg: 79
How do you define Athletic?
Posted: 5/27/2009 2:24:05 PM

But they have an athletic skill along with most people who consider themselves 'athletic.'

You are chasing yourself around in circles. You previously asked how someone might obtain an athletic body type without being participating in athletic activities and that was answered. Now you are willing to accept people who clearly obese because of their skills alone?

What part of "body TYPE" aren't you getting? If you want a "Gym Rat? Yes/No" field then appeal to the PoF admin for one. But that's not what the particular profile field in question is about.
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 80
Posted: 5/27/2009 2:46:10 PM

...This is actually the most (medically) accurate description...

Disagree.

I am 5'9" - 185lbs
so I have a BMI of 27.3

Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

So I am overweight with a body fat percentage of ~10%.

BMI is far to general to use a measuring tool as it does not take into account different body types.

The only accurate way to define someone body is with a combination of the following terms.
Endomorph
Mesomorph
Ectomorph

That is the only way to truly measure / define someone body type.

You do not need to participate in any athletic endeavours to be considered Athletic looking especially if you are mostly Mesomorph.
 CMonster
Msg: 81
Posted: 5/27/2009 3:28:26 PM
BMI is far to general to use a measuring tool as it does not take into account different body types.

That is why the amount of bodyfat and the hip/waist ratio is also taken into account especially if you are athletic. I drop down to 5-7% bodyfat during certain parts of the year which is considered unhealthy for people who aren't physically active or who do not consume of the nutrients necessary to stay healthy. You can't compare athletes to who train regularly to those who don't, they're two completely different lifestyles and it isn't a fair comparison.
 kansastwisterjn
Msg: 82
Posted: 5/27/2009 8:36:11 PM
I set mine on average and that may be giving myself more lee way then I ought to. Truth is though, strength and endurence wise, I rate out has excellent by my gyms standards (Test given by a personal trainer). I work out 5-6 days a week for 1 hour and play raquet ball for two hours most Sundays so activity wise, yes I call myself athletic. Looks wise most people wouldn't buy it until they got to know me. Boy I did absouletly nothing to clear that up huh

Jim
 sweetest
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2009 8:38:00 PM
I think for the purposes of this site, the question relates to body typing only. Outside of this site, the question in my mind relates more to lifestyle. I feel that my body type is athletic but it could also be average just as easily. I had no issues selecting the drop down menu on it, as I did not obsess or dither in thinking that I needed to justify my selection in some way.
 chip1331
Msg: 84
Posted: 5/27/2009 9:49:41 PM
Carrick, I'm also using that under the pretense of how people look. Mind you, I'm not championing the BMI by any stretch of the imagination; it's just a convenient variable to incorporate into the equation. The actual appearance of athleticism is still determined by percentage of body fat. If that's too complicated, there are easier ratios to measure, like comparing the waist with the hips and/or chest, but there are more factors in play there that make the validity of those measurements more arbitrary.
 CMonster
Msg: 85
Posted: 5/28/2009 1:08:59 PM
Nah carrickknot, you can stick with the guys; you did say that you were the one in the barrel didn't you? No need to deprive you of your fun taking it from the team (whoops, for the team ).
 JustAManWithAPlan
Msg: 86
Posted: 5/28/2009 2:02:46 PM

Disagree.

I am 5'9" - 185lbs
so I have a BMI of 27.3

Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

So I am overweight with a body fat percentage of ~10%.

The only accurate way to define someone body is with a combination of the following terms.
Endomorph
Mesomorph
Ectomorph

That is the only way to truly measure / define someone body type.

You do not need to participate in any athletic endeavours to be considered Athletic looking especially if you are mostly Mesomorph.
Way I see it if one has low-ish body fat(within 10% points of essential bf%) and that person is over the normal weight range in BMI then they are overweight IN muscle an arguably good thing
 abelian
Msg: 87
Posted: 5/29/2009 1:29:14 AM

A 6" (or more) "drop" is an "Athletic" type.

Unfortunately, that sets the bar really low. That standard essentially lumps average and athletic into ``athletic'' and the other categories to grade different levels of being overweight.
 zarathustra00
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2009 5:15:12 AM

Unfortunately, that sets the bar really low. That standard essentially lumps average and athletic into ``athletic'' and the other categories to grade different levels of being overweight.

Agreed. If we were going by measurements like that, I would say at least 10" if not 12" minimum?

But again, to each their own. I would like to also volunteer to be the judge for the women.
 TheReason_
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2009 2:53:09 PM
I too would say Athletic would be according to looks, since here the definition is a body type. I bike 16 - 25km a day (mountain biking, climbing etc, not road biking) and go to the gym 3 -4 times a week. While they are athletic pursuits, I consider myself average at the moment. No six pack yet, but I'm not lugging around a keg either.

6pack, or lean and lanky to me, mean athletic. If you check my pic, I think you w0uld agree, that I'm average, and not athletic. Soon though. By the end of the summer, I'll be changing it to athletic.

cinnamonchips
Msg: 90
Posted: 5/30/2009 6:23:21 AM
Athletic....
It's confusing to me. Most of the men I've met have put themselves as athletic, but, although they looked good, they never did anything that would be considered athletic. Some people are just naturally in good shape, not necessarily super built but nice. To me athletic is someone who is active, and if you sit on the sofa most of the time then how are you "athletic"?. I am very active, I've always worked out, active job, for fun I go for a long bike ride or hike....and yet, I feel I'm not as toned as I'd like to be (I'm 42) so I put slim.....(I'm 5'5" & 110lbs.). My last boyfriend (dated 2yrs) I met on Match, he had on there his likes were bike riding (had no bike), beach (once in 2 yrs), rollerblading (no), hiking (walking to garage from house)......yet, visually he looked really nice, great shoulders. There should be a choice.....active or non active......bet there would be a whole lot of confusion on that one.
 randomguyinaz
Msg: 91
Posted: 10/8/2009 5:14:43 PM
I would say athletic is someone that is more physically capable than the average person (stronger and faster)
 HO2
Msg: 93
Posted: 10/9/2009 6:32:35 PM
Perhaps POF moderators and website creators should take note of what has been posted
over the last few pages concerning lifestyle versus body type.

POF might create a category for lifestyle using a few adjectives
1.) couch potatoes - watches sports on TV but never actually does anything physical
2.) book junky - does nothing but sit still for hours on end reading quietly
3.) house athlete - works in garden a bit, mows their own lawn, shovels snow
4.) gym athlete - machine training, swimming indoor pool, needs an exercise mat
5.) outdoor athlete - athlete dealing with actual weather conditions all year round

Playing sports like darts or bowling hardly qualifies someone as an athlete.
Sports is such a massive broad category rarely ever really focusing on athletics.
Standing & sitting around for 9 inning in a baseball game doesn't really impress me.
 FL CO
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 7:04:09 PM

Standing & sitting around for 9 inning in a baseball game doesn't really impress me

Couldn't agree more. Of course football doesn't really impress me all that much either when it comes to the amount of actual activity a player sees.
 YayForBeer
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2012 8:56:50 AM
Fat doesn't mean automatically nonathletic.

I'm quite overweight, but I also hold a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, can kick above my head with ease, and can run up the 4 flights of stairs at work with no issues.

I used to be 160 lbs when I was in my late teens, early 20s. I could barely do any of those things because I smoked a pack a day, and sat around all day playing video games.
 walleyej
Msg: 96
Posted: 5/27/2012 6:32:19 AM
Hi ,I'd like to add my two cents here.BMI(body mass index is a usefull tool in determining ones body type.)Lok it up on the web.Figure out you BMI.Be honest!Unfortunately the average body type is borderline obesety or so it seems.Here is the fomula.Multiply your weight x times 703,divide that by your hieght in inches,divide that figure by your hieght in inches again.This number is your BMI.18-25 is a healthy weight for anyone.26-30 your on the high side.30-40 is obese!!!40 or more is dangerous.My BMI 145x703=101935/65''=1568/65''=24.1.Hope this helps some people put their body type into true perspective.Oh ! and by the way I don't care if i've offended someone with this.Facts is facts,if the shoe fits?If not ,maybe your BMI is a little high....lol.
 statemachine500
Msg: 97
Posted: 5/27/2012 6:35:14 PM
My BMI works out to 25.237
Abs visible
Fairly strong all over
Able to sprint hard

Zara is in great shape.
 jaqi
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2012 10:16:53 AM
The original post was more to do with the POF definition of Athletic as difining image. Therefore thin, athletic, a few extra pounds etc. I have a number of friends who are very fit but don't have the classic athletic build. I must admit it floors me sometimes when I see guys who have labeled themselves as athletic on here and their waist is bigger than their chest!
 DameWrite
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2012 10:51:17 AM
When I see athletic, I don't think of body type as much as activity level. They can come it all shapes and sizes but chances are there is muscle under the skin.
I read...active.
 italianstyle1987
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2012 2:42:49 PM
I consider anyone who competes in sports with a decent figure to be athletic. Working out and be an athlete are two completely different things. Depends what your working out for? how you workout? and what your workout goals are?
also i believe time has to do a lil bit with it as well. you cant workout 2 days and say your athletic. Although their is no definition for athletic that pertains to how it is used on a dating site.

My personal interpretation of Athletic for Females is different then males. for 1 women are gonna have curves that show along with some definition and general smoothness to their body. While men will have more muscular definition , Which could range. Some guys are slim , trim , and ripped (usually men who play or participate in sports with alot of cardio) vrs other guys who lift to bulk up and are going for more mass ( for sports that require more contact) . There's so much more to add to this and their is no such thing as a perfect athletic body. If they think their athletic and u say their not its a matter of opinion. Some chicks are huge and just big boned and still run everyday and train just like any athlete so its possible to be an athlete without a "fantastic" looking body. Same goes for men. ever watch WWE? some of those guys are fat as hell and still move and everything. I been a personal fitness trainer for year and i've trained women and men for different goals in a wide range . Personally im better when it comes to endurance training and weights but i've done alot.
 providence75
Msg: 101
Posted: 6/3/2012 4:23:13 PM

seriously? People define athleticism by whether or not they have a six pack? :shakes head:

As far as the body type categories go on a dating website: YES!
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2012 9:24:35 PM
I've worked out consistently for over 4o years. Running and moderate weights. Darn right I have an athletic body. However definitions of 'athletic' vary.

When I read that a woman has an athletic body I think her body is 'toned' and that she also has a level of physical performance (can run a couple miles, climb 10 floors, etc. ). For a guy, no real fat to pinch and also able to run a few miles, do 50 push ups, etc. A healthy male without extra fat will have muscle definition whether he works out or not. Doing weights just adds some more. A healthy female body can certainly be 'softer' in appearance but still shapely.

I don't equate sports performance with an athletic body (or fitness). They can be one in the same but many exceptions
 Quadlog
Msg: 103
Posted: 6/3/2012 9:38:30 PM
lol...a six pack does not mean athletic.

A friend of mine at our crossfit gym snatched 275lbs, back squats 500lbs and he doesn't have visible abs. He's strong as hell and has major endurance. He's an athlete - period. I'm no where near that but I do the Crossfit stuff, adventure racing and I'd consider myself an athlete. I guess I would define it as constantly challenging your body in a physical manner.

edited to add that I hate the use of the word "toned". Such a useless word.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How do you define "Athletic"?