Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How do you define "Athletic"?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LIVE4JESUS918
Msg: 104
How do you define Athletic?Page 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Athletic would be a person who is a great athlete but NOT a person who LOOKS athletic, ha. I know people who are in great shape but can't kick or throw a ball to save their life.
 MisterNumber11
Msg: 105
How do you define Athletic?
Posted: 6/4/2012 5:34:02 PM

Athletic would be a person who is a great athlete but NOT a person who LOOKS athletic, ha. I know people who are in great shape but can't kick or throw a ball to save their life.

No.

What you are describing is being an athlete. Having an athletic body type means that you look like you are capable of being an athlete, generally lean with a greater than average amount of defined muscle.
 statemachine500
Msg: 106
Posted: 6/4/2012 5:37:43 PM
Kirby Puckett.The Fridge.Both great athletes that didn't look it.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 107
Posted: 6/4/2012 5:58:42 PM

How do you define "Athletic"?

With a tape measure.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2012 7:18:18 PM

With a tape measure

Right to the point...perfect.
 statemachine500
Msg: 109
Posted: 6/5/2012 6:52:39 PM
Yeah.Ban anybody with a 13 inch arm from claiming they are athletic.It looks pathetic.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2012 3:54:13 AM

I hate the use of the word "toned". Such a useless word.

I dont think so.

I want to be toned. I want another to have tone.
It looks hot.

I like the word fit too.
Fit can vary in size somewhat and have some "imperfections"
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2012 6:05:10 AM
True. Toned and fit is what I want in a gal. A spring in the step and a healthy glow. Toned and fit translates into a positive energy in life. A woman like this is sexy at 25 and sexy at 55.
 statemachine500
Msg: 112
Posted: 6/6/2012 3:03:37 PM
A friend of mine at our crossfit gym snatched 275lbs, back squats 500lbs and he doesn't have visible abs. He's strong as hell and has major endurance. He's an athlete - period. I'm no where near that but I do the Crossfit stuff, adventure racing and I'd consider myself an athlete. I guess I would define it as constantly challenging your body in a physical manner.

edited to add that I hate the use of the word "toned". Such a useless word.

Yet another crossfit super hero story.Last one we heard some guy was claiming his little sister squatted 700.Just out of curiosity,he snatched 275,how much does he weigh?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 113
Posted: 6/6/2012 4:11:52 PM

I want to be toned. I want another to have tone.
It looks hot.

By accepting esthetics as desirable traits, you take the good with the bad, so wanting and desiring an esthetics will come around to bite you in the ass because you can not fight it forever.

There will a time where in the gym you are not getting stronger and regardless what you do or how hard you try it is going away and if you can not a body for what it is a body and take what you get, life is gonna suck pretty bad.

"Never pick up what you can not put down"
I think I heard Maya Angelou say that once but not 100% and internet has failed me.

By giving special attention to what you like you also must accept the opposite effect by validating the good you also validate the bad.

If you only do something for the joy of doing it and not a desired result, you increase your chances of success, because there is a zero % chance you will be able to achieve the result for ever, but about a 90% change you can still participate.

Accepts gifts for gift and do not treat them as rewards, because you are only teaching yourself to ring a bell.
 statemachine500
Msg: 114
Posted: 6/6/2012 6:25:37 PM

If you only do something for the joy of doing it and not a desired result, you increase your chances of success, because there is a zero % chance you will be able to achieve the result for ever, but about a 90% change you can still participate.

Most people that work out enjoy working out.They like the feeling.They know it's good for them.They know it makes them look better.Simple.Jack LaLanne?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 115
Posted: 6/6/2012 8:39:14 PM
Jack LaLanne was the exception not the rule, and lived as long as he did because his genetics and he did what he loved.

There are a lot of people that live to ripe old ages that have never juiced a day in their lives and if you listen to the number one question they ask someone when they turn 100 is always answered completely differently by each person with the exception of one thing, for the most part they always had a positive outlook, where they found that in god or in hookers, it was a good time and good genes that will get you there.

They did what they did because that was what the loved and if they could not do what the loved, they loved what they did, these type of people have the best chance of a long healthy life.

(Food aside)Body building will not make you live longer, cross-fit will not make you live longer, stripper pole dancing will not make you live longer, the only think that will make you live longer that you can control is going out and living life for the sake of living life and not doing things for expected or desired rewards.
 Quadlog
Msg: 116
Posted: 6/7/2012 6:27:42 PM

Yet another crossfit super hero story.Last one we heard some guy was claiming his little sister squatted 700.Just out of curiosity,he snatched 275,how much does he weigh?

http://games.crossfit.com/athlete/12076

Nolan Crossman:
213 pounds BW. And my point wasn't that he was some bad ass. it was that low BF percentage doesn't mean your athletic. His numbers on that profile are older from last year. why the passive aggressive attitude? No one insulted you here.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2012 9:51:51 PM
Penciller wrote:

Since the question is regarding POF profiles, and Body Type is between Height and Hair Color, I would define Athletic based on appearances rather than physical abilities.

The other choices (Thin, Average, A Little Extra, BBW, etc.) do not define physical abilities either, but rather a person's shape. So it can be inferred that Athletic on POF profiles falls in the same category.

I have to disagree with this limited approach. If we judge "athletic" body type on appearance alone that's little more than being all hat and no cattle. Listen, I am quite attracted to a particular body type, one that might be described as athletic, and I am very fond of toned and defined musculature on a woman. But if it is no more than window dressing, well ...

Further, the mental images we all carry vary from person to person.

I realize that as we age our bodies undergo some natural changes, but looking like and living a life that shouts "given up;" no thanks.

Son and I had a meeting with a doc today for him. Top floor of the hospital. (Son is a top competitor in his sport and has trained for the past year to achieve some incredible results in the unnamed sport.) We ran from the parking garage to floor 6 and our HR's were the same: ~150. I was puffing like an asthmatic freight train and son was - not (and made sure I knew I was breathing harder! ) What was interesting was that my HR after recovery was lower by 10 or so. ( I credit my swimming regimen, and genetics, for that blessing.)

The thing is though, I do not look like Jack LaLanne. I'm not a blob, mind ya', but the flat abs of my youth have gone the way of Solyndra. But I keep working on it.

TK
[heart like a freight train, and the lungs to prove it]
 statemachine500
Msg: 118
Posted: 6/8/2012 7:54:47 PM

http://games.crossfit.com/athlete/12076

Nolan Crossman:
213 pounds BW. And my point wasn't that he was some bad ass. it was that low BF percentage doesn't mean your athletic. His numbers on that profile are older from last year. why the passive aggressive attitude? No one insulted you here.

You crossfit guys have a reputation ....

Now,to set things straight....Nolan is 6'0'',weighs 212 lbs,I don't think this would make him look obese or portly.
Age 30.

Clean and jerk....286
Snatch................236,considerably lighter than 275 in this movement.
Back squat..........450,not 500
Deadlift...............500
400 metre sprint..1:29.......world record.....lesss than half that.....42.93 seconds,Michael Johnson.

No distance running listed.He has good all round strength.He's basically an olympic lifter.
 Quadlog
Msg: 119
Posted: 6/8/2012 10:31:25 PM
He's got good cardio as well with running - just not on that list. It's his carry over profile from last year . He's not obese or portly but there are no visible abs like the folks are using to depict an athletic look. Isn't that the crux of what some people are arguing here? Anyways I'd rather be overall stronger than a distance runner but that's my preference. Give me a squat rack over running any day.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 120
Posted: 6/9/2012 10:05:34 AM
That is what people are arguing about, but not what the thread was supposed to be about.

The question was how does one define 'athletic' *in relation to the body selection options on POF profiles*.

A person could easily have a body that suggests they are an athlete when they are not at all. And someone can be an athlete, but not have a body that would suggest it. Athleticism is NOT the same, nor a guarantee of having an 'athletic looking' body.
 statemachine500
Msg: 121
Posted: 6/9/2012 11:03:48 AM

He's got good cardio as well with running - just not on that list. It's his carry over profile from last year . He's not obese or portly but there are no visible abs like the folks are using to depict an athletic look. Isn't that the crux of what some people are arguing here? Anyways I'd rather be overall stronger than a distance runner but that's my preference. Give me a squat rack over running any day.

I would take the squat rack over running as well.Include a Glute Ham Developer and I'm right happy.

Ok,he has no abs,no biggie.I can size people up pretty quick....I guarantee you I could see that this guy has a powerful back and legs.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2012 9:41:19 PM

It's common sense, really... If you're talking about the term "athletic" in context of what THIS WEBSITE is asking for, just view it kindof as a TIER level, with "athletic" being the best type of body (which probably means you work out and are in great shape).

The problem with this approach, and why all the disparate responses is that we are all trying to define something that cannot be defined - on an appearance basis, nor on a fitness basis. I made the same mistake with my off the cuff answer based on what I reflexively think of as athletic "looking."
The problem is that true athletes do come in a variety of shapes and sizes. I was reminded of this today when I watched the match between Nadal and Djokavic, saw a little of the womens gymnastics competition, and this evening when the news profiled a competitive bike racer. Now compare that to a heavy weight boxer, discus or hammer thrower, or even a heavyweight wrestler; or the extreme, a sumo wrestler. The variety of physical types on just one football team or a women's roller derby team belie the one size fits all stereotype of what an athlete "looks" like.

What it comes down to is what type of athletic look we prefer.

TK
[perhaps under body type POF ought to allow for a variety of athletic archetypes for choosing our description. How many, though, would honestly choose "Sumo." OK, I'll go: welterweight bowler]
 LetsBuildSomething
Msg: 123
Posted: 6/12/2012 12:21:44 PM

How do you define "Athletic"?

I'd say for men, below 10% bodyfat, and women, below 15% bodyfat.
And of-couse you need some muscles, to qualify.

a beam-pole man with 6 % bodyfat is not Athletic.

really... look at an Athletic, what do they look like?
 boomtiki
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2012 1:14:28 AM
Someone athletic to me is someone who does some kind of work out a few times a week. Such as biking, running, working out, playing basketball, baseball, volleyball, swimming, hiking. Doesnt have to be all but one and do it often.
 statemachine500
Msg: 125
Posted: 6/17/2012 3:37:41 PM

The problem is that true athletes do come in a variety of shapes and sizes. I was reminded of this today when I watched the match between Nadal and Djokavic, saw a little of the womens gymnastics competition, and this evening when the news profiled a competitive bike racer. Now compare that to a heavy weight boxer, discus or hammer thrower, or even a heavyweight wrestler; or the extreme, a sumo wrestler. The variety of physical types on just one football team or a women's roller derby team belie the one size fits all stereotype of what an athlete "looks" like.

Reminds of the early 80's,you would sometimes see a big guy wearing athletic pants with matching full sleeved top.The Russian superheavy weightlifter look.Best way to make a fat guy look athletic.
 Eagle Fish
Msg: 126
Posted: 9/2/2012 1:43:13 PM

Noticed someone's post:
"It's very funny how most of people on this site define their body type as athletic. Mirror Mirror, tell me who I am? ;)"

I work out several times a week and consider myself athletic; when I cut down to less than twice a week I actually change my profile to average.

I'm wondering how other people choose a setting on that one.

Of all things to post on I know, its a puff piece - lol! How do you define non-relegious was already well covered.

Good for you when you cut down on your exercise you changed your profile to show that.

Since I am looking for people to date, I don’t care generally what a person puts down for "body type" on POF but what activities can they actually do. For example, I do care if one cannot casually walk around Lake Harriet for 45 minutes with me and my dog without me calling 911…. I have had “athletics” that had to stop multiple times.

Lake Harriet: 2.75 miles for walkers and runners.

http://www.minneapolisparks.org/default.asp?PageID=4&parkid=266

I generally agree with most of the posters responses. I think we all know what sizes we are in general.

I think watching the Olympics would show that being athletic comes in different shapes, types and forms. Beauty like athletic can be subjective.

Beauty is on the eye of the beholder.
Literal meaning - the perception of beauty is subjective.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder.html

It means everyone's idea of beauty is different.

For example, I will say Michelle Jenneke is considered athletic

Michelle Jenneke Beautiful Michelle Jenneke dances before winning race HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK6rZT8N1XI

The Russian Stiletto Heel Race could be considered athletic.

Russian Stiletto Heel Race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9wdBHSYQkE

Why don’t you Google athletic. If it fits you then be comfortable with it.

Adjective
1. physically active and strong; good at athletics or sports: an athletic child.
2. of, like, or befitting an athlete.
3. of or pertaining to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina: athletic sports; athletic training.
4. for athletics: an athletic field.
5. Psychology . (of a physical type) having a sturdy build or well-proportioned body structure. Compare asthenic ( def. 2 ) , pyknic ( def. 1 ) .

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/athletic

Does this helps in deciding what to put down?
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 3:23:16 PM

What you are describing is being an athlete. Having an athletic body type means that you look like you are capable of being an athlete, generally lean with a greater than average amount of defined muscle.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That.

Ask 3 men about my "type" and you will get three answers
Average
Athletic
Thin.

POST A FULL BODY SHOT.
 Aegle24
Msg: 128
Posted: 9/3/2012 7:28:37 AM
Peppermint petunias is right defining athletic is partly perception. I have met guys who list themselves as athletic but do no form of exercise. One guy who in my opinion was obese told me he was thinking about buying P90X and another guy told me he was thinking about joining a gym. Some men I have met who have spent the last 20 years on the beer and chicken wings diet and have decided to try to get back in shape and been working out for a month or 2 also list themselves as athletic even though their doctors would probably put them in the obese category.

This is what I think defines athletic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage

"Description Women Men
Essential fat 10–13% 2–5%
Athletes 14–20% 6–13%
Fitness 21–24% 14–17%
Average 25–31% 18–24%
Obese 32%+ 25%+ "

http://men.webmd.com/weight-loss-bmi

"What Is a Healthy BMI?

A person with a BMI of 18.5 to 24.9 is considered to be at a healthy weight. A person with a BMI of 25-29.9 is considered to be overweight. A BMI over 30 is considered obese. A BMI of 40 or above indicates that a person is morbidly obese. This can increases a person's risk of death from any cause by 50% to 150%."
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How do you define "Athletic"?