Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How do you define "Athletic"?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 129
How do you define Athletic?Page 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

I would go along with the use of the body fat percentages you list

So is this athletic?

http://www.necjogha.org/sites/necjogha.org/files/ethiopia.jpg

Or is just using one criteria to define an esthetic, maybe not such a good idea.

How do you define Athletic?

How ever the f*ck you want, because it is nothing more than an arbitrary thing and not a standard that can be measured.

So if you define it by ability, then you must define which abilities you want to measure and how you will do so, thus rendering and real conclusion pretty much impossible.

So if you define it by an esthetic, you will come close but still somewhat subjective and all open to strong cultural bias'.
 statemachine500
Msg: 130
Posted: 9/3/2012 3:08:13 PM
^^^^^
Agree with above.Abs should be somewhat to very visible.Some muscle mass should be readily apparent.No rolls or chubby chins.Waist is smaller than hips or chest.
 milklover
Msg: 131
Posted: 9/4/2012 5:19:21 AM
I don't know.. i guess I'd define it as what your results are regardless of how long you've been working out. i consider myself athletic simply for the fact that I can do athletic things if I want to, even though I NEVER DO, and I look athletic according to the people around me that describe me in that way. I think I look somewhat athletic in my photos.
I know that some people consider themselves athletic even if their pictures do not indicate such, but honestly, I think many of these people that don't look as athletic as I look could probably easily out do me in cardio exercises or activities. You can't judge a book by it's cover!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2012 2:07:41 AM

"Description Women Men
Essential fat 10–13% 2–5%
Athletes 14–20% 6–13%
Fitness 21–24% 14–17%
Average 25–31% 18–24%

I like that you take time to post these things..I cant sit that long.

There is no FIT slot for us to check though.
Much more accurate than BMI imo, although it is a guide some can use.

I know that some people consider themselves athletic even if their pictures do not indicate such

Part of the reason is not a lot want pics showing a lot of flesh on a dating site.
Other reasons we know.
 jaqi
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2012 8:50:29 AM
I define myself as athletic because I have worked out hard to get a good muscle to fat ratio. The lighting in some of my photos show the muscle definition and some don't, just as when body builders do a show and don't put enough tan on it can lose them that first place to the next guy who has put more on even though they have the same degree of mass. That actually happened to a friend of mine last October in his first show, he was told that not tanning enough had lost him the first place!

Lighting in photos can either make us washed out and tired looking or refreshed and gorgeous just as it shows our muscle tone or not.
 zookie57
Msg: 134
Posted: 9/5/2012 4:18:30 PM

"It's very funny how most of people on this site define their body type as athletic. Mirror Mirror, tell me am?

Whats funny is I will only contact folks who say they are average. Even thought they are fit & trim. Why?

Cuz those are the ones who need not,"blow their own horn for attention or other wise"!

As they can carry themselves without the unnecessary fan fare or other motives..........cheers
 junkfoodjunkie79
Msg: 135
Posted: 9/7/2012 2:44:16 PM
If you claim that you workout , or did a 5k, apparently you are athletic according to all the women's profiles that I come across.
 Certain100
Msg: 136
Posted: 9/8/2012 2:27:39 AM
I think the definition of athletic depends on what the context of question. For most dating sites the question is: "what is your body type" and let's face it we are trying to convey what our body looks like. "Athletic" in this situation should be used by people who's bodys are very fit and toned. If the question is asking about your activity level, then "athletic" would probably be more appropriate to use for those who are not very physically fit appearance wise, but may be very active in sports. I find that many of the men on here say they are althetic and appear average or overweight. I don't view the women so I can't comment on them, but would agree with one post that says some men would define a thin, fit woman as athletic, while others may just say she is thin.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2012 8:46:03 AM
It dawned on me while reading this thread that over the decades I've never had a girlfriend who wasn't athletic. To me it's almost 'a given'. I've met women through some activity such as coed sports, at the gym, hiking, etc. I met my current girlfriend on Match but her healthy lifestyle was the one of the principal attractions.

Perhaps 'athletic' is relative to our individual experience. Fit healthy people often associate with similar people so their definition of an athletic body would be more rigorous than the definintion by someone more sedentary. A woman 5'4 over 125 lbs just would have what i'd call an athletic body...however, to someone else perhaps she could weigh 135 and still have that definition.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 138
Posted: 9/20/2012 1:46:56 AM
This thread sparked the scientist in me, so I changed my tag from "average" to "athletic". A completely arbitrary change, as it doesn't change my exercise program. I hypothesize that I'll get more dates from POF. We'll see if the change has an effect. Let the experiment begin.

Excuse me while I go pull Thomas Dolby off YouTube now. Science!
 PrizeFighter91
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2012 10:22:14 PM
your athletic if your an athlete. like as in you can run a mile in 6 mins, you can bench press your body weight, do more than one pull up and have body awareness. you can say your athletic until your blue in the face but if your clumsy and knock things over all the time your not an athlete. there is a difference in looking fit and being athletic, just because you can lift crazy weight over your head does not mean your athletic nor running once every two weeks and doing nothing the rest of the time. unless you are good at most sports you do instantly your really not all that athletic. also most ppl put athletic because there is not an "I kinda get out of my house every few months and pretend to be healthy" option lol.
 statemachine500
Msg: 140
Posted: 9/21/2012 6:08:34 PM
Hmmm maybe I've been too hard on myself. I can do all of those but I'm not sure how much weight I can benchpress. 90kg does sound like I might struggle a bit, I dunno...

Everybody talks about the bench press being an indicator of good strength....not that important really if you can do a fair number of pushups.Could you pick an unconcious person off the floor and carry them up two flights of stairs?All the jogging in the world won't enable you to do that.Jogging doesn't develop stroke volume....or your quad strength....
 PrizeFighter91
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2012 11:32:28 AM
yeah... but who the hell is going to do that? lol talking about athletes here not fire fighters. your either born an athlete or your not.. you can train yourself to be athletic but not to be an athlete
 Icecreamlover615
Msg: 142
Posted: 9/29/2012 12:39:08 PM
It's a body type, not a question of whether you workout.

You can workout and be fat! You can be thin and not workout!

Body type is a combination of body fat and muscle mass. It's a pet peeve of mine to see people say their body type is athletic and they are 30 lbs overweight. LOL
 jpwrnglrwmn_forumsonly
Msg: 143
Posted: 10/6/2012 8:01:08 PM
Yes, I'll definitely agree with the above definition. .I've always thought that "athletic" applies to those who are actually training to be an athlete.. There should be another category that fits in between athletic and average. . "fit". .
I've always thought that how one categorizes one's body type should be based on what a majority of people would say. . sometimes people put a body type that they're aspiring to, but it's not a realistic representation of their true body type.
I've been called lean, athletic, or thin sometimes, but I put average. (
I workout 4 days a week, 1 hr cardio, 30 minutes of free weights, stretching with little to no rest between reps, eat as healthily as I can . .no fast food, junk food rarely. .1 or 2 small pieces of dark chocolate, quinoa instead of white or brown rice. Probably because I always feel I have to be in better shape) It's all based on one's interpretation. .
 puma-jama
Msg: 144
Posted: 10/7/2012 1:57:39 PM
Does athletic as you define it include Sumo wrestling? Trust me , my experience is this. There are alot of people here in the U.S.A that participate in sports that I would not call athletic in terms of physical appearence. I once met a person on here that posted 10 year old pictures and put her body type as athletic!!! LOL She was not...
Having just had the Olympics over there in the UK everyone should be up to speed on what Athletic looks like. And I thjnk body type has everything to do with looks?

Puma USA
 Bodypulse
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2017 11:58:44 AM
being athletic doesn't mean your body has to be lean and mean, look at the sumo wrestler ! , if you work out in sports of any kind that requires you to use you muscles for your sport , and you play every week , and you have been at it 6- 12 months and your consistent ,meaning you don't miss many days , then your most likely seeing muscles you already knew you had ,or didn't know you have , the athletic body is conditioned for the sport they play !
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2017 9:59:23 AM

being athletic doesn't mean your body has to be lean and mean, look at the sumo wrestler !

They can be athletic in certain ways, but their Body Type is Not. That's Big & Tall/BBW. You can have an athletic body type but you're not that athletic, and you can have a non-athletic body type and be athletic. Being athletic in concept (not body type) is being above average in Active sport-activities, generally speaking.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 147
Posted: 11/20/2017 10:31:53 AM
"being athletic doesn't mean your body has to be lean and mean, look at the sumo wrestler ! "

Look at the golfer too ( eye roll )

Athletic means more muscular than fat REGARDLESS of whether or not you participate in sports.

Some thin people are skinny fat, as in, their limbs are thin but are soft as a marshmellow due to lack of usage.
 ItsImpeachmentTime
Msg: 148
Posted: 11/20/2017 2:42:18 PM

With a tape measure and a scale.

As if you do not know this is referring to a body type and not a lifestyle then count yourself as one of the people who does not understand the question.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 149
Posted: 11/29/2017 1:22:19 PM
I find a lot of people think their body type is average but you look at their pix and think " ya , for TEXAS maybe ! "
 robin-hood
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2017 11:28:25 PM
Athletic means your in shape to participate most physical events. Such as a good hike, good lengthy swim, try out most sports that require some strength and endurance. If your overweight and out of shape your not gone to do well, and definitely the following day your not gone to be up to another physical event, and in many cases not even make it out of bed.
 flyover_boy
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2017 1:43:17 PM

They can be athletic in certain ways, but their Body Type is Not.

Exactly ! The question is body TYPE. Many may be active and participate in sports, and very healthy, no doubt. They also may be fighting genetics, metabolism and body frame. This is part of the riddle of the human body. Everybody has a different chemistry...fair or unfair.

To what qualifies as athletic, it is, to some degree, subjective. Like the old line, I can’t define it, but I know it when I see it. It is appearing more on profiles, more than ‘thin’ reflecting trend of appeal. The skinny models on the NYC and Paris catwalks are being replaced by ‘fitness models.’

Some people put athletic because, 'I’ve always been athletic.’ But, just because you were in gymnastics and swimming through high school, college and your early 20's doesn’t mean it holds through adulthood. Even to active people in their late 40's. Kids happen, eating habits established during and higher metabolism period of life are subjective to changes, and everything about getting older...life...happens. Some deal with a body frame that just doesn’t work as well with age. I’ve been to enough reunions to see this play out and I see college age women and even in their 20's, you can tell the ones, although very attractive, will 'have to be careful’ as they age.

For profiles, I’m big on...don’t tell me you’re athletic...SHOW ME. I love the ones which go on with all their ‘activeness’ which is certainly the vibe here in California. But, in October, when all you show is Winter sports, with group shots in dark, bulky clothing, doesn’t sell it to me. And, you’re competing with plenty who have pool shots. In fact, I don’t want ‘active shots’ because I really can’t see what you look like, give me the plain Jane FULL body shots.

Then there are ones who go on and on about how much they work out/go to the gym. I remember one, with the typical head and shoulder ‘one shot wonder’ profile. Her profile was brief and mentioned THREE times how much she worked out, ‘fitness’ and athleticism. Meet up with her and...no way. Her problem was the big frame and to me, she was ‘chunky.’ Another, who photoshopped her pictures, was ‘athletic.’ She hit the stairMaster EVERY day for several hours. All it gave her was a pair shaped body with tree trunk legs.

Although it’s not absolute, but, think if they would look good in yoga pants or as an underwear model. Every coffee shop around here, I can usually spot a couple candidates who would work, not to mention actually wearing yoga pants and it’s working WELL for them.
 toocash
Msg: 152
Posted: 12/18/2017 1:57:57 PM

Her problem was the big frame and to me, she was ‘chunky.’ Another, who photoshopped her pictures, was ‘athletic.’ She hit the stairMaster EVERY day for several hours. All it gave her was a pair shaped body with tree trunk legs.

boy you sound like an ahole...you can define athletic for yourself all you want...you don't get to define what it means to somebody else. To me...athletic means a person who likes to participate in physical sports, i.e., a person who likes to move, even if it is only jogging. Nothing more...nothing less.

If you want a pretty, limber, lithe, strong, well proportioned woman....than find a twenty year old with those attributes....not many women in their forties, even the "athletes" are going to have those qualifications.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2017 2:04:49 PM

you can define athletic for yourself all you want...you don't get to define what it means to somebody else.

Ehhhh, not so fast. It's Body Type. Not whether they are athletic or not. And there are lines drawn in both situations where, no, you don't look athletic (body type), and no, you aren't athletic (performance/abilities VS common random on street).

To me...athletic means a person who likes to participate in physical sports

That's incorrect though. It doesn't mean they have an athletic Body Type, nor does it mean they're an athlete.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How do you define "Athletic"?