Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How do you define "Athletic"?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 flyover_boy
Msg: 151
view profile
History
How do you define Athletic?Page 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

They can be athletic in certain ways, but their Body Type is Not.

Exactly ! The question is body TYPE. Many may be active and participate in sports, and very healthy, no doubt. They also may be fighting genetics, metabolism and body frame. This is part of the riddle of the human body. Everybody has a different chemistry...fair or unfair.

To what qualifies as athletic, it is, to some degree, subjective. Like the old line, I can’t define it, but I know it when I see it. It is appearing more on profiles, more than ‘thin’ reflecting trend of appeal. The skinny models on the NYC and Paris catwalks are being replaced by ‘fitness models.’

Some people put athletic because, 'I’ve always been athletic.’ But, just because you were in gymnastics and swimming through high school, college and your early 20's doesn’t mean it holds through adulthood. Even to active people in their late 40's. Kids happen, eating habits established during and higher metabolism period of life are subjective to changes, and everything about getting older...life...happens. Some deal with a body frame that just doesn’t work as well with age. I’ve been to enough reunions to see this play out and I see college age women and even in their 20's, you can tell the ones, although very attractive, will 'have to be careful’ as they age.

For profiles, I’m big on...don’t tell me you’re athletic...SHOW ME. I love the ones which go on with all their ‘activeness’ which is certainly the vibe here in California. But, in October, when all you show is Winter sports, with group shots in dark, bulky clothing, doesn’t sell it to me. And, you’re competing with plenty who have pool shots. In fact, I don’t want ‘active shots’ because I really can’t see what you look like, give me the plain Jane FULL body shots.

Then there are ones who go on and on about how much they work out/go to the gym. I remember one, with the typical head and shoulder ‘one shot wonder’ profile. Her profile was brief and mentioned THREE times how much she worked out, ‘fitness’ and athleticism. Meet up with her and...no way. Her problem was the big frame and to me, she was ‘chunky.’ Another, who photoshopped her pictures, was ‘athletic.’ She hit the stairMaster EVERY day for several hours. All it gave her was a pair shaped body with tree trunk legs.

Although it’s not absolute, but, think if they would look good in yoga pants or as an underwear model. Every coffee shop around here, I can usually spot a couple candidates who would work, not to mention actually wearing yoga pants and it’s working WELL for them.
 toocash
Msg: 152
How do you define Athletic?
Posted: 12/18/2017 1:57:57 PM

Her problem was the big frame and to me, she was ‘chunky.’ Another, who photoshopped her pictures, was ‘athletic.’ She hit the stairMaster EVERY day for several hours. All it gave her was a pair shaped body with tree trunk legs.

boy you sound like an ahole...you can define athletic for yourself all you want...you don't get to define what it means to somebody else. To me...athletic means a person who likes to participate in physical sports, i.e., a person who likes to move, even if it is only jogging. Nothing more...nothing less.

If you want a pretty, limber, lithe, strong, well proportioned woman....than find a twenty year old with those attributes....not many women in their forties, even the "athletes" are going to have those qualifications.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2017 2:04:49 PM

you can define athletic for yourself all you want...you don't get to define what it means to somebody else.

Ehhhh, not so fast. It's Body Type. Not whether they are athletic or not. And there are lines drawn in both situations where, no, you don't look athletic (body type), and no, you aren't athletic (performance/abilities VS common random on street).

To me...athletic means a person who likes to participate in physical sports

That's incorrect though. It doesn't mean they have an athletic Body Type, nor does it mean they're an athlete.
 toocash
Msg: 154
Posted: 12/18/2017 2:38:11 PM

Ehhhh, not so fast. It's Body Type

Really.... because you say so? I've been in enough 10 Ks to know that body type has little to do with ability. Regardless...you are making the same mistake as the poster I responded to...which is you are trying to define what athletic means for people other than yourself. Sorry... doesn't work that way.

I don't think anybody would have mistaken the pudgy George Ruth for an athlete...yet he was one of the best who ever lived...on the other hand...some sculptured, steroid inebriated guy may look good...but may be among the worst of athletes anywhere.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2017 7:21:03 PM

Really.... because you say so?

Because POF says so. Read a Profile. :) I don't care how many 10ks one runs, if their BODY TYPE is not athletic looking, they don't have an athletic Body Type. Again, read a profile. :)
 toocash
Msg: 156
Posted: 12/19/2017 5:42:03 AM
The title to the thread is how do you define athletic, not how does a pof profile define athletic. To me I define athletic as being athletic..not looking athletic.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2017 12:37:04 PM
The topic is in reference to the Site. Read OP's opener:

Noticed someone's post:
"It's very funny how most of people on this site define their body type as athletic. Mirror Mirror, tell me who I am? ;)"
 flyover_boy
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2017 2:56:48 PM

boy you sound like an ahole...you can define athletic for yourself all you want...you don't get to define what it means to somebody else. To me...athletic means a person who likes to participate in physical sports, i.e., a person who likes to move, even if it is only jogging. Nothing more...nothing less.

Since you’ve been so generous and articulate with your argument, I invite you to re-read my post...not snibits, you missed important details. But, to carry this discussion further, I’ll lift it higher by dispensing the juvenile language.

On a profile, when someone puts athletic BODY TYPE; my vision is of a tone body, proportionate, preferring a mid-sized to smaller frame. That may not be yours or someone else’s. I think, generally, people put ‘athletic’ for body type, on profiles because of the perceived currency value it has, makes them appear more attractive. But, if they don’t have the pictures to back it up, or they aren’t clear (or honest) and many embellish on their physical activities, all you get at a meeting is disappointment. Often the belief is, ‘I’ll win them over with my charm.’ Hard to do when the first image is ‘bait and switch.’

This has nothing to do with what their activities may or may not be. They may be VERY athletic, and no questioning of their health. But that isn’t the question, it’s body type. As you know, two people can have the same diet, physical activity and be very different. Why do you think drug companies have so expensive trial runs and medicine is not really a science, but an art. Our metabolism is different, body chemistry, we age differently.

I’ve lived all over the country and that may vary too. But, where I live now, I can find you plenty of women over 40 who foot the bill I so described above. Even over 50. Try searching profiles in Asia and look over ‘average’ body types. A little different then what we call that here.
 APRILIKESWHITEROSES
Msg: 159
Posted: 3/9/2018 6:22:42 PM

1- Muscles
2-FLAT STOMACH
3-Endurance to: run, hike, jump
4-Have flexibility in the body.
 LovingLoner2
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2018 9:37:43 PM
If you don't have a 6 pack, don't call yourself athletic looking.
On a dating site, we are concerned about physical appearance.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2018 11:38:19 PM

1- Muscles
2-FLAT STOMACH

I think this is an example of "MY version," mistaken as what should be THE version. Many athletic distance runners, and basketball players don't have much muscle on them. So they'd be nixed? And there's plenty of people in great muscular shape, but, would fail in the dept of "flexibility". I don't see how flexibility is a must-have for mere generic athletic body.

IMO, an athletic body -- if one's going by what the term says -- is multi-dimensional. A thick tough softball catcher or a football offensive lineman are usually athletically built -- but not in the way a typical baseball shortstop is, who is also athletically built.

If you don't have a 6 pack, don't call yourself athletic looking.

There are some pretty Hot girls with a delicious body including a flat stomach who don't come close to having 6 abs showing. Just saying. :)
 LovingLoner2
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2018 4:43:11 PM

There are some pretty Hot girls with a delicious body including a flat stomach who don't come close to having 6 abs showing. Just saying. :)

There are some pretty Hot men with a delicious body including a flat stomach who don't come close to having 6 abs showing. Just saying. :)

You see, it goes both ways.
But we are discussing what your body type looks like not your face.
 dolatar
Msg: 163
Posted: 8/26/2018 4:55:27 AM
Athletic is anybody who moves on a regular basis vs preferring a couch..i.e..the opposite of sedentary.
 apriloveswhiteroses
Msg: 164
Posted: 11/8/2018 5:10:52 PM

- Muscles
2-FLAT STOMACH
===============
^
I think this is an example of "MY version,"

Nope .. That is the Real meaning when we mention the word "body"

IMO, an athletic body -- if one's going by what the term says -- is multi-dimensional. A thick tough softball catcher or a football offensive lineman are usually athletically built -- but not in the way a typical baseball shortstop is, who is also athletically built

I am an ATHLETE -..........(many of them do not have athletic body)
Or I have an athletic BODY........
two different things...got it?:)
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2018 1:24:04 PM

I am an ATHLETE -..........(many of them do not have athletic body)
Or I have an athletic BODY........
two different things...got it?:)

Yes, I in fact pointed that out if you read all my posts. :) You can be an athlete, but not have an athletIC body.

My post there that you quoted was also pointing out something else: There is no One universal "athletic" body construct, was my point. You can be a thick tough muscular softball catcher of a gal, which is an Athletic Body -- but not attractive. Not like a typical delicious gymnast gal's body. Got it? :)
 dragonbytes
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2018 1:56:01 PM

Athletic is anybody who moves on a regular basis vs preferring a couch..i.e..the opposite of sedentary.

Does getting up to get your own chips and beer count?
 Strangemix
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2019 11:54:57 AM
It's almost as deluded and frustrating as all the fat females that refer to themselves as "curvy". Almost.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How do you define "Athletic"?