Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Closing Shop
Msg: 2
How much do you trust a condom?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I've been in that situation. There was a guy I had a huge crush on for a while and we finally started dating. He was a nice guy who treated me well, he was handsome and had a killer body- there was little reason not to have sex until he informed me during a makeout session that he had genital herpes. I didn't completely dismiss the guy--I certainly found his honesty attractive-- but did decide to take things slowly. It would require a serious commitment and a lot of education on my part to engage in such risky sex. Things ended up fizzling out between us (for other reasons) so we never got to that point.
 windloverr
Msg: 3
view profile
History
How much do you trust a condom?
Posted: 8/25/2008 11:15:34 PM
I agree with the previous poster. It wouldn't be an automatic "no"; but, as nothing is fail safe, the attraction and connection would have to be strong.
 gtomustang
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/26/2008 5:22:10 AM
My take on it all is...I don't need only that body part to get a woman off...so its basically a non-issue. You don't catch STDs thru your finger :) And sex is more than me getting my gun off.

So, I wouldn't need to worry about the porosity of an assembly-line condom made for the lowest cost possible....
 deerdog1
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/26/2008 6:25:19 AM
realistically with AIDs and Hepatitis the answer is No ..if i knew you had these I will be your friend but im not having sex with you ....for herpes its a little different ..if the connection/relationship was there i would probably risque it with condoms though un cure able and inconvenient herpes dont kill you ...the other two while people are living with them are life threatening ...so as crude as it sounds ..if i know you have them i wont allow myself to start sexually loving you ...I already Love me ...if someone i was already in love with found out they had them ...and they didnt get them from cheating ..well that's different and i could not possibaly know how I would react ...and hope i never do...If you got them from cheating well...Im going to miss you......even if i already got them when i find out you cheated
 Tim61
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2008 7:15:44 AM
well a condom has not failed me yet !!!

Tim
 Closing Shop
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/26/2008 12:22:29 PM

condoms have a failure rate of about 15%

That's the typical use rate as a birth control method, which includes improper use and the failure to use with every act of intercourse. So if you're not a dumbshit, the failure rate can be as low as 3%, which is still high enough that I'll always double up on birth control methods.

I'm in a LTR but if I wasn't I would not sleep with a guy unless he was tested and certified clean and I'd want to see the papers too!

If you can wait the six months required to detect some STD's, that's great but most people don't have the desire and/or self-control to wait that long. While I'll always take reasonable precautions to protect myself and ensure I get tested once per year, I'm not so terrified of STD's that I'm going to wait for the love of my life to come along before I'll get laid again. Nowadays, most STD's are little more than an inconvenience, and often they're curable. Even HIV isn't the immediate death sentence it used to be.
 Closing Shop
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/26/2008 2:10:09 PM
Ummm What planet are you from? That has got to be about the stupidest thing I've er read on here....

What's stupid to me is how you managed to miss some important keywords, words like "most" and "curable." Chlamydia and Syphillis can be cured, easily if detected early. HPV is often cured without the carrier even knowing he/she had it. Herpes can't be cured but the frequency of outbreaks can be minimized with drugs. Statistically speaking, the odds of a person who always uses condoms catching an incurable deadly disease is extremely low so I'm not going to live my life paranoid about it.

See, my reasonable precautions are to be tested every 3 months and also between partners...

Certainly if somebody is with a lot of partners it's in their best interest to be treated more frequently.
 Closing Shop
Msg: 26
Posted: 8/26/2008 5:40:45 PM
Chlamydia is usually symptomless, and how do you detect it early if you only get tested yearly...?

The term "early" is relative. An annual screening is what's recommended by medical professionals.

In the US alone, 1 million affected, with as many as 45,000 new AIDS cases reported each year. That's about 123 new cases a day in the US alone... The US population is 304,979,334 so that means the odds are roughly 1 in 304 have it...

Thanks for the statistics but alone they're rather meaningless in response to my statement, although the statistic on the number of new cases each year provides a base number to start from to determine annual risk of infection. Then factor in the statistics for gender, race, sexual orientation, sexual activity, condom usage and IV drug usage. Based on my stats and behavior, my risk of infection is extremely low.
 JustMary65
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/26/2008 7:27:48 PM
About as much as I trust a man-but you still need em even if they aren't perfect or come with any lifetime guarantee. ( Just being sarcastic-so go easy on the flaming..lol)

OT~

If I knew that a potential sexual partner had an incurable STD-would I-that's doubtful. I'd certainly want to speak to a medical professional to get advice so I could make an informed decision about the entire matter. Condoms give people a false sense of security because even with regular use you are still at risk to catch a STD from any exposed skin on the genitals. Most doctor's, in particular my OB/GYN, agrees with regular condom use, limiting partners and to be tested regularly if you are sexually active.

What is an even bigger problem are those who do not even know they have an STD and aren't using any form of protection. Do I trust a condom-not 100% but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

lastbat13
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2008 2:46:37 PM

If you KNEW that the other person had a serious STD as in Hepatitis, Herpes or HIV that was potentially either life-threatening or could be incurable, would you TRUST a condom to protect you????

No, I would not. I don't trust a condom to protect me anyway, let alone if I know somebody has a disease. Condoms are only 95% effective when they don't slip, break, or have a hole. Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe in wearing a condom, but I don't trust them completely. No sex with people who I know have a transmittable disease.
 SteveinHP
Msg: 47
Posted: 9/8/2008 10:35:27 AM
Oh hell no. We are done then and there....
Posted: 9/8/2008 10:47:58 AM
F*ck that noise. Hiizzzzzelllllzzzzz Nizzzzzzzzzaaaaaawwwww
 raxarsr
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2008 7:30:21 AM
think about it............your trusting your life to it
 setuid
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 2:31:53 PM

Not to sound sheltered or guarded, or holier than thou...

...or ignorant

Why should I put myself at risk because someone else made poor choices that led to these conditions?

I know a girl who was happily married to her husband for 7 years, great marriage, great couple... then he went out of town and got totally smashed at some work outing, and ended up sleeping with a prostitute that picked him up in a bar. He brought that herpes home and infected his wife with it, and never told her what happened (probably because he was too drunk or embarrassed to remember).

Now she's infected for life. Explain to me how this is HER poor choices again?
 setuid
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2008 11:51:16 AM

THE SHORT VERSION: Latex condoms don't allow HIV to pass through them. The tests prove this, regardless of what somebody else may have told you.

The SHORTER version: Condoms do not prevent the spread of HIV, period, regardless of type, brand or otherwise. HIV is transmitted by absorbing blood, semen, vaginal fluid, pre-jaculate or breast milk into the body, and those can happen in no less than a hundred different ways.

Let's also not forget that in the US, the spread of HIV is pandemic.

Have you shaved your lower abdomen lately? Has she shaved? Those little invisible razor burns... are you sure you didn't get a SINGLE DROP of vaginal fluid or semen on them?

What about any micro cuts on your hands as you're pleasuring your woman? A slightly torn cuticle on your finger? A small cut inside your mouth? (I have braces, they are there even if you don't bleed or recognize it).

Are you sure that condom is pulled all the way back, snug against your body? What about your balls, swinging and banging into the dripping vaginal fluid as you're having sex? Are those completely cut and scathe-free? Are you absolutely sure?

A condom can help prevent pregnancy, but it isn't 100%. It can help prevent the spread of HIV, but it certainly is not 100% either.

Don't believe the hype. Seriously, and please be careful when you're spreading further myths that condoms "prevent" HIV. They do no such thing.
 ohio07
Msg: 81
Posted: 2/4/2009 11:04:53 AM
My sis who is an OB/GYN brings this up to me all the time. So I don't worry too much about pregnancy, I do want to know her history because I like to give oral and tease her whole area, as part of my foreplay. I would be disappointed if I couldn't do these things to a woman. ( a carpenter likes to use all of his tools) But if we were close and she wanted me and I liked, respected, loved her; I could do it. As long as she took her meds, was checked out and my overall risk was reduced.

I don't want something nasty on my face, (or anywhere else) if I can help it. And I can still use condoms or dental dams, (even saran wrap) if I must to please a woman.

But as for condoms, it's very rare to get pregnant with a condom break. Add into it the pill, and if you also used a diaphragm and the odds get lower, but NOT impossible. So I try to have multiple methods with my partner to be sure and safe. In addition to regular testing.

I've dated a girl who was treated and cured for an STD, no problems. I dated a girl who didn't use the pill for birth control. No problems. So I wouldn't overreact out of hand. There is info out there. Educate yourself as to what method suits you and have some FUN!!!
 ohio07
Msg: 83
Posted: 2/4/2009 11:17:21 AM
Google video: " Endgame" or perhaps "The World According to Mosanto" Chimera. Remember Tuskegee syphilis injections in African American males? Remember Nuclear testing with American soilders IN the blast zone... Throughout history governments have willingly practiced eugenics against world populations. Hell to get IMF money you have to agree to "population reduction" in the form of vaccines that make the men and women infertile. You have a computer, therfor no excuse. Do a Google search for God's sake. All of this can be shown in Government documents. For God's sake, at least watch the two documentaries I mentioned. Naieveite CAN kill you!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >