Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Banned for Being Too Good      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mungojoe
Msg: 13
Banned for Being Too GoodPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
So, apparently if you are too good, you can not play. How pathetic is this and are we becoming. If a player has potential and is a good player, he has to be banned from a league or told to play a different position?

Whatever happened to challenging others to pick up their game? Use to be that if someone was better than you, you picked up you level and became better yourself. But now I guess if someone is better than you, you force them to do something different. Maybe I'm missing something, but to me this is disturbing.

It's a 'beginner level' league. It isn't meant to be competitive in the 'big league' sense where it is 'all about the win', this is not a 'big money and scholarships' league.

These kids are just learning the game and as we all know, if you match kids who are beginners (these are 8-10 yr olds, LITTLE kids not teens) in any sport against people who are head & shoulders above them a majority will loose confidence before they have a chance to develop the skills (that's just the way kids that age are).

Playing a highly skilled kid against others who are clearly below his 'league' also tends to cause kids to become c*cky and over-confident, thinking they are better than they actually are because all the opposition is so far below and they do not have the level of competition to help them challenge their skills.

It's a situation that is not in the best interests, in terms of skill development, of either him or the other players.

If he is that good he can easily play the next age group up and be at an even keel with the other players. THAT is what will develop and build his skills.

In my opinion the parent just wants the "glory" of having a kid who's the league 'star player' rather than being merely 'one of the best'.
 shanna_5
Msg: 14
Banned for Being Too Good
Posted: 8/26/2008 3:18:39 PM
I understand both sides. It would be no fun if they knew they would lose, and the kid who could pitch feels bad because he feels reprimanded for playing good. As for it being because of the danger, I dont buy that. When he was on second base, he would have to throw the ball fast and hard to the other bases to get the opposing team runner out.For this kid going up to the next level, would he be denied because he didn't finish this beginners leve?.I hate it when I agree with both sides.
 mungojoe
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/26/2008 3:22:41 PM
Why is this league even keeping score? I mean if other kids are intimidated by a better player, shouldn't their very fragile egos get crushed if they lost a game?

Ah the old 'all-or-nothing false dichotomy' carried to an absurd extreme.

Let's look at it from a different angle. If this were a wrestling league would it be OK to match two 12 yr olds up, one who hasn't started puberty, weighs 80 lbs, is 4'9" (an average 12 yr old) against another who hit puberty at 10-11, weighs 140 lbs, is 5'7" (the size of an average 15 yr old).

They are the same age, would likely be in the same grade and may even be friends. Why should the larger child be forced to move up to the same weight class as an average 15 yr old when he can just stay with his age group and 'kick ass' all the way to the championship?

I'm pretty sure making him move up has something to do with the difference in ability between him and his age peers but why should that matter?

Isn't it better for the parents and kid to just let him stay at a level that is below his ability so he can 'be the star' and the parents get bragging rights?

After all, they're both 12, right (and I don't mean the parents but it does apply there too)?
 mungojoe
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/26/2008 4:24:43 PM

Jericho should have been 'sent up' immediately, not so far into the season. No fair to reshuffle the deck so late in the game.

That, really is the 'fly in the ointment' in this one.

The people complaining should have done so at the outset, not waiting until the results were all but 'sewn up'.

That makes the stated basis for the complaint appear disingenuous but it doesn't change the fact that the kid is going to get far more skill development by moving around to positions he is less good at or moving to a level that actually challenges him to improve his skill at the position(s) he is good at. That, really, should be the goal, to provide kids with challenges that exceed their abilities to a degree that they can realistically rise to. Winning purely (or even largely) because very few on the other teams can hit his pitches does little to develop the skills of the other members of EVEN HIS OWN team (as they have far less work to do than the opposing team in the course of a game). 'No hitters' and 'low hitters' typically present LITTLE OR NO CHALLENGE to the infielders or outfielders of the winning team.
 mungojoe
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/26/2008 5:12:14 PM
Wrestling is a CONTACT SPORT! They have Weight Classes... Baseball is NOT a contact sport, they are broken into AGE GROUPS!!!

Contact sports are broken into weight groups rather than age groups SPECIFICALLY because of the differences in ability that come from size and weight. On average, two kids of the same age will be very close in ability (size and weight (that is a fact)) but it recognizes that that may not always be the case. Hence, they are classified by ABILITY.

Non-contact sports are broken into age groups because of the same reason, on average, kids of the same age group will have very similar abilities, not because of something magical about the age number. What it DOESN'T recognize (by classifying by age rather than ability as other sports do) is that ability is not always determined by age, some kids have ability beyond their age peers.

If you want a kid to develop his skills and ability then he needs to be in an environment that CHALLENGES those skills and abilities, not an environment that is a 'cake walk' for them. Even though he is the same age, his ability isn't (in some regards). By playing him only in the position where his ability is not challenged you are actually doing him a disservice (as well as every other kid on his team and in the other teams), as both a parent and a coach.

It's only "apples and oranges to grapes" for you because you are far too caught up in the "it's all about win, win, win at all costs" and not giving any real consideration to the concept of skill development and what is ACTUALLY necessary to achieve that with kids.

Kids need to be at a level that is at or near their skill, not 'in over their heads to make them step up' or 'below their skill so they can be the star'.

Would you teach your kid to swim by tossing them into the middle of the lake and walking away, would you take your olympic swimmer to a wading pool because 'it's a cake-walk win' or would you do it where they are challenged but not overwhelmed (your answer will truly determine your understanding of what it takes to effectively parent a child)?
 gentalltheway
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2008 5:59:50 PM
This kid is no bigger or taller than the other kids. As someone mentioned in here, a 40 mph ball is fairly common for a 9 year old so where’s the problem? It’s simple really…This one happens to be able to control the ball very well as he never hit anyone... but that was not the problem. The problem was that he “turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.”

Now, coming back to the speed, if 40 mph is fairly common for that age, then when I analyse what some are saying, it will be ok for any other same age pitcher to hit other kids as long as they have fun learning the game and have a fighting chance...right? Same speed...hitting players…but can win = OK Right? Or are some just debating because other kids can’t seem to challenge him? They want their kids to play as long as there’s no special talented kids around…right? And we should agree because after all, we should not challenge kids…right?

When it comes to the excuse of “learning the game” goes, the same can be applied to Little League players as quite a few never played baseball before they registered. So now they are 12 but the average speed goes up to 70 mph. Ohhhh…we should ban baseball as someone is bound to get hurt!

As for from having him in another class goes, isn’t Little League the next step? If so, isn’t 12 the minimum age requirement?

Hmmm….3 years without playing where he seems to have a certain talent...That just doesn’t sound fair to me and again, it would promote mediocrity
 mungojoe
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/26/2008 6:34:56 PM
This kid is no bigger or taller than the other kids.

No-one said he was. It was an analogy.

He is playing in an 8-10 "house league". If he really is that good then there is no reason he shouldn't be playing in a more experienced "house league" at say the 11-12 age range, assuming it really is about developing his skills. That's where he'll get the challenge if all he does is pitch.

No doubt the adults are playing it for reasons that have nothing to do with developing the kids' abilities. Being on "the other team but not his" probably is the real reason behind the complaint and the "skill development" is a smoke screen because it can be justified.

The coach however, along with the parent, is not considering his skill development either. Their opposition has everything to do with "being the star" as well.

If the coach were actually as concerned with building well-rounded, skilled players he would be playing him more regularly in his 2nd & 3rd best positions and giving other players more chance to build their pitching skills (apparently from the story the other kids almost never get a chance to pitch even if they might have potential).

If the parent were actually more concerned with him developing well-rounded skills than 'being the star' she would be insisting that he get more time in his next best positions rather than a 'one trick pony' or not playing.
 badge3939
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/26/2008 6:50:20 PM

Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.
Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

It all politics

This is why they want him banned. It has nothing to do with his pitching. He turned down an invitation to join the defending league champions. Jericho, decided to play on a different team, that team could take the championship away from them.

Maybe fire the league's administrators.
 Ezzee
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/26/2008 7:33:19 PM

thhis kid is a freak of nature and is throwing the ball at them at 40MPH!

A freak? Seriously, you are going to call him a freak because he has developed into a very good pitcher?

I'm sorry, but this kid is no more of a freak then I am, or you are, or your year old daughter is, or my 10 year old daughter is. I think calling him a freak is a little unnecessary.

Also, it should be mentioned that the boy is not throwing the ball at the kids. He is pitching it to the kids.

So what is an acceptable speed then? Would 30 MPH be acceptable? or 20 MPH?

Also, I would ask if we are going to argue about how fast a pitch is allowed, then maybe we should debate how fast a ball can come off the bat to. Let's face it, a ball at ANY speed can do damage, and the fielders have a lot less protection then the batters do.

I still stand by my original point that these kids should step up their games. To me, it is pretty simple, if they can't deal with a 40 MPH pitch, then start working to deal with it. And if you don't want to start working at it, well, take your ball and go home.

Yes, that is exactly what I would tell my daughter too. And then I would take her out and work with heron it. If you want to get better, you have to practice at it. Just like reading, or being a decent human being. So lets work to get you better, and practice hitting.

Are you crying? Are you crying? THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!!!
 mungojoe
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/26/2008 9:14:19 PM
you are going to make that one individual suffer the shame of being torn from his peer group...

Seriously dude...

Do you honestly think a 9 yr old is going to "suffer shame" by being sent up to play with "the bigger boys" because of how good he is?
maybe he sets the bar, and the rest of the kids suck it up and strive to meet the same expectations???

Wow, is that what they teach in parenting/family life classes in high school around there? Just toss the kids in over their heads and tell them to "suck it up"? Certainly explains a lot.

Kids are not simply "little adults" who don't know as much yet, "suck it up" works when your dealing with scraped knees and stubbed toes, not teaching new skills and developing abilities.

and like I said before... lets compare apples to apples...

We are comparing "apples to apples". I'm talking about how you build skills and develop abilities in kids. The exact sport or skill you teach is not the issue, it's how you teach it that is the point. You seem to want to avoid that.
 Pyro74
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2008 1:21:41 AM

We are comparing "apples to apples". I'm talking about how you build skills and develop abilities in kids. The exact sport or skill you teach is not the issue, it's how you teach it that is the point. You seem to want to avoid that.

Part of developing skills and abilities means facing your fears, and others, that are better than you in a particular sport. To think that you are somehow protecting them, by taking away that challenge, is, in my opinion, wrong. I believe that you are actually teaching them the wrong lesson here. Life is full of fast-balls. The sooner they learn how to deal with them, instead of avoiding them, the better. And I'm speaking as a parent.
 mungojoe
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/27/2008 2:15:55 AM
Part of developing skills and abilities means facing your fears, and others, that are better than you in a particular sport. To think that you are somehow protecting them, by taking away that challenge, is, in my opinion, wrong.

Of course they need to be challenged, I've mentioned that several times and have even pointed out how the pitcher is not being adequately challenged by not being played in his weaker positions (to build his less capable skills) and playing with only the skills that are already heads & shoulders above the others (with nobody able to hit his pitches he isn't challenged to further build and adapt that skill either). The point is to challenge them at a level that is consonant with their abilities rather than one which overwhelms them to the point that they give up before reaching it.

Kids who are challenged beyond what is reasonably reachable from their current abilities will give up. When that challenge is presented repeatedly at a level beyond their grasp they will refuse to even try.

That teams are starting to walk off the field and forfeiting games rather than play is a pretty good hint that the challenge is beyond their scope.
 Pyro74
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2008 2:32:20 AM

That teams are starting to walk off the field and forfeiting games rather than play is a pretty good hint that the challenge is beyond their scope.

I think this has more to do with the "powers that be" in this league. I honestly think the coaches were told to forfeit if this kid was pitching, because of the politics involved with the other team that he chose not to play for and the sponsers.
 mungojoe
Msg: 26
Posted: 8/27/2008 3:28:42 AM

I think this has more to do with the "powers that be" in this league. I honestly think the coaches were told to forfeit if this kid was pitching, because of the politics involved with the other team that he chose not to play for and the sponsers.

Absolutely the adults are playing games with it. This has probably been festering all season and I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't already a history of back-biting between the coach that had the kid and the one that wanted him.

But I also think the coach (and the parent for their part) gave out all the ammunition that was needed with the way he was handling the kid. I wouldn't be surprised, knowing what happens when you mix kids, sports and parents, if there weren't also some complaints from within the team from the parents of kids who were capable pitchers but weren't getting any game time to build their skills.
 gentalltheway
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2008 7:48:29 AM

Does he HAVE to pitch? If he has perfected the pitch to the point that he is way out of the division he is playing in, why not have him work on the skills he HASN'T perfected?

Let’s see here...YES YES YES! Clear enough? That would be like saying that when Tiger Woods was a child, he should’ve tried other sports as he “perfected his skills” at golf. Or Saying to Wayne Gretzky (that would be a hockey player) when he was seen as the best even at a very young age, that he should be a goalie instead of a center player. Absolutely ridiculous!!!

Tuesday, in response to threats of a suit from an angry Nicole Scott, the LJB held a disjointed press conference at Criscuolo Field. Attorney Peter Noble, the league’s advisor, hemmed and hawed his way through real questions and kept getting back to the fact that league parents were in fear for the eyes, ears, and noses of their precious kids.

Yet there are a couple others in the league who throw almost as hard with less control. No one is demanding that they turn in their pitching spikes.

So therefore, the parents who are involved by saying that they fear for their kids are liars and aholes…BIG TIME! It’s not that they fear for their kids, it’s because their kids can’t friggin win! They don’t mind having their kids being hit by another pitcher with the same ball velocity as they are NOT talking about the other pitchers with similar speed but with obviously less talent.…Just the one who just happens to strike them all out!

May God forgive me for posting something from FOX...

Have YOU ever protested over a 9-year old pitcher?
Aug 26, 2008 | 8:45AM |

This question I have posed does seem a little extreme. What reason would you have to be against some 9-year old kid pitching against 8-10-year old kids?

Well, in New Haven Connecticut parents and their kids protested over a young boy named Jericho Scott. Scott is/was a right-handed pitcher who threw about 40 mph and has been so good in the New Haven Youth Baseball League that opposing players and parents urged league officials to ban him from pitching. To add to this story, Scott apparently has pinpoint control and has yet to hit any player in the league this season.

Back on point, are we kidding? You ask the league to stop a great pitcher from pitching? That would be like every country protesting that Michael Phelps shouldn't be allowed to swim because he's too good. Not only is this league wrong for preventing Scott from pitching, they have violated his rights. His parents paid for him to play in this league and he deserves the opportunity to pitch, hit, play the field and more importantly, play baseball.

For those people who opposed Scott from pitching in this league should not only be ashamed of themselves but they are what's wrong with sports.

This is far worse than showing up a player on the field or breaking an unwritten rule, these people have done what they could to break the spirit of a 9-year old boy who loves to pitch. Are you proud of yourselves? Have you accomplished something positive? No, you have brought unnecessary attention to yourselves for all the wrong reasons. This boy should have been given proper respect for his good play, and instead I have to read about how parents and a Youth Baseball League have ripped this kid's heart out. Great work people! Are you going to make the best hitter in the league swing with wood while the rest hit with aluminum bats?

Why don't we punish the kids who get straight A's in school because they are simply too smart in class.

Why don't we punish the salesperson who has 100 clients and makes $100, 000 from each of them because he's simply too good for his company.

In fact let's punish Tiger Woods when he gets back from injury because he should let other golfers win major championships.

This is one of the worst stories to hear when you have lived, breathed and sweat baseball for nearly 20 years. These people should appreciate what Jericho Scott does on the mound and hope that he succeeds later on in life. To take something away from him because of something he didn't do is one of the worst things you can do to a child. Heinous actually.

These are the same people who are allowed to have kids and teach them terrible life lessons like this story. These are also the same people who formulate terrible opinions about sports and are allow to vote in presidential elections. It is scary to think about how responsible parents like these are to a country, let alone their own family. It also paints a terrible picture of how their kids will perceive this situation and feel this is right. It isn't right. It is wrong in the worst way.

Developmental league or not, Jericho Scott's love for pitching was taken away because he happened to develop faster than other kids. Instead of the league being proud of that, they have taken a step backward as to say, "we don't want THAT kind of development". That is a slap in the face to him, his family, his team and his coaches. Shame on you.

Jericho's mother Nicole will meet with a lawyer, and that's the right play. Don't allow shallow, self-centered and naive parents to allow control over your son. And lots of people would have blown their top over this, myself included (probably), if I found out a league banned my son or daughter from pitching because they are too good. What should also be pointed out is he turned down playing for the defending champions of the league who happens to be sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators. Does someone have an AXE to grind on this kid? Or do they really want to repeat this year and banning Scott is the way to go.

This is a sad story for kids who participate in sports. But I'm not sure what's worse; pushing for Scott to never pitch in the league or going to bed at night thinking what you did was right.

I hate that we had to learn about a dominant 9-year old pitcher this way. Jericho Scott has earned and deserved better than this

I stole this one from another site…

no wonder America's children and teens are so soft these days. Why not take the challenge and try and hit the kids stuff?? Nooo, the other team packs it in and runs off afraid like a bunch of wusses. That's absurd. Only as far back as the 70's, not long ago, the best played, prospered and moved on to higher leagues. Today, with all the political correctness going on, kids hit off tee's, they play for more than 3 outs an inning, everyone gets a chance to hit the same and everyone feels oooh soo good after the game. It doesn't help you develop. That does not help you become a strong young man when you face no adversity. It has to be a woman who came up with this stuff. "Ohh I don't want my Jimmy getting hurt". America is soft and getting softer. Young boys are being raised predominantly by their moms with little to no adult male interjection and increasingly having female values instilled. It's called the Pussification of America. Young men are wimps these days and wanna cry wah wah wah, like a girl, when things don't go their way. When you don't experience problems you can't adjust to them and take them on either. Jeeez, what about the brainiac kid that wins all the scholarships and comes in #1 and takes up time away from the teacher while the other kids that aren't as gifted don't do as well? What happens? Nothing. This kid who has exceptional arm strength was made to feel like an outcast or worse yet, a freak. He outta take the ball and bean one of the league geniuses that banned him. Totally absured.
 CherylCake
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/27/2008 8:29:24 AM
Jericho needs a big league mentor, and to be taken away & groomed. Get him away from those small town minds. I agree with what was mentioned before, to make sure the kid doesn't burn his arm out before he can hit the big time. How do ya think Magic Johnson's playmates felt watching the guy catching air like a kangaroo? Or Tiger Woods? Gosh, even I'M sick of seeing him, but, hey, the greats are always shoved down our throats to ad nauseum. That's just how we do.
 teeajay
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/27/2008 9:07:50 AM
So the kid is a sports prodigy, so what? Let him stay where he is and be the star and standout. Okay, maybe moving him to another, more advanced league, where he might actually become a better pitcher for being challenged might be a character-building experience for him. But why deprive the kid of his chance to be a star and feel superior to everyone else. And who cares about personal growth and learning humility anyway?

And all those nervous nelly's concerned about safety.. I mean really you should all lighten up. Isn't facing a speeding projectile a character-building experience, as well? Why would you deprive all those other kids the exhilaration of a hematoma? C'mon. I think you're all overreacting.

I mean just because there was a study that concluded 13 kids ages 5-12 died from injuries sustained playing little league ball, (University North Carolina study) that figure covered a 10 year period (1987-1996), and so 13 out of millions is not that bad a statistic as fatalities go. So where's the tragedy anyway?
 gentalltheway
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2008 9:33:22 AM

I am glad you support the right of Nicole Scott to take legal action.

She paid to have her son playing in this league. If the league administrators are too damn stupid to admit their fault, that’s all they deserve as far as I am concern.

Bring the league to their knees......
I bet it bankrupts the League

And who should be blame if it happens? The league or the kid who seem to put the ball in the strike zone fairly accurately?

Thats what youth sports is all about... Winning

Hmmm...what else is there? Kids play sports to win. I never EVER saw a bunch of kids losing a game and be happy about it. Have you? They are dissapointed and they deal with it. That’s when parents should teach good sportsmanship by telling the kids to congratulate the other team and pass along the message that it will not be as easy the next time. Suck it up, practice and the kids will do better the next time. If they like the sport, it will come automatically. If they don’t, then they should quit and try something else. Whining because they can’t win is bullshit!

The same goes for board games. Have you ever seen kids who wants to play to lose? I sure as hell never did.

Everyone should watch her son pitch

Well, that’s part of the problem.
There's plenty of sites with recommendations on how many pitches a 9 year old should take during a game and per week. Seems like all agree for 50 pitches. Now, if the kid strikes everyone out in 3 pitches, it would mean that he should be replaced half way through the game. Personally, I seriously doubt that he’s that good so let’s say for the sake of argument that he averages 4 to 5 pitches per kid but still have no one on bases (3 outs), it means that the kid should be replaced after 3.5 innings which means at least 3 pitchers per team. Sounds fair to me. What do you think?

Who’s to blame? Coaches, the league and quite often the parents. All the league has to do is to enforce the recommendations and the problem will be solved. Kids will have the challenge to try to hit the pitches from the better pitcher for 3 to 4 innings than have better chances with not so accurate ones which of course means that they will get hit here and there but hey, all will be happy.

Simple solution. Everyone who does not wish to play against this pitcher can quit.

There you go! Teach them how to whine and quit. Amazing!
 Xcen
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2008 9:47:38 AM
It sounds like enough arrogance and ill-will on both sides of the issue to thoroughly disgust everyone. Hmmmm, a reigning champion team with money behind them is ignored by Junior Hot Stuff who then pitches his team to an undefeated season whereupon he is banned, the police are called, lawyers are involved on both sides, and the locals are choosing up sides. Can we guess this is a townspeople with too much money and not enough humility? Underlying all this is what is "taught" at schools. Schools are in the business of passing through all the kiddies with diplomas so they "dumb-down" the requirements for passing. The exceptional performers have to find challenge on their own, the mediocres gain a false sense of being exceptional (until they enter real life of earning a living), and the lazy and underachievers gain the "self-respect" of believing life owes them everything, they are entitled. Welcome to America.
 mungojoe
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/27/2008 2:09:00 PM

Then, lo and behold, some of the coaches start getting out of hand competetively and start recruiting kids from the All Star league so they can work out their sophomoric, competetive dikk waving.

Hit the nail on the head.

This is nothing about the kid, his coach and parent are using him, to his detriment and that of the other kids, for their own vicarious glory. The coach that didn't get him wanted the same thing but didn't get it.

In their search for their own unfulfilled dreams they are misusing this kid and depriving the other kids of the opportunity to build skills by doing it.

The kid shouldn't be in the league if that is how he is being played and if he is in the league then his coaching (and parenting) should be more focused on his lesser skills, that is the point of leagues like this.

All the "suck it up" and "mommie coddling" crap is just another expression of this "live your dreams vicariously through kids no matter how it affects them" nonsense (with an unhealthy dose of "beat them down to toughen them up" thrown in. This kind of reminds me of a "father" I once knew that thought his 3 yr old daughter should be taught to swear like a sailor so "she can stand up for herself").
 Sky at sunset
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/27/2008 4:02:12 PM
I did read the article in the news yesterday but don't claim to know all the details. My first thoughts were - wow, there are some adults here acting really badly and find that boy a different league to play in. Little guys shouldn't be terrorized by a pitcher/ringer. No he doesn't hit them but would you want to bat against a major leaguer? It's also a shame for the good pitcher to go through this. He has to know that this is too small of pool for him to be swimming in.

Bad coach
Bad mom

Kids are the losers and deserve better role models - just my humble opinion.
 Jiperly
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/28/2008 12:31:58 AM
I disagree with the leagues stances- but thems the brakes. Its their league, and thus they are free to conduct themselves as they see fit- and its their league that will suffer because of it.
 Eric2008
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2008 12:03:32 PM
I think that both sides in this league have made very critical errors.If this is going to be a beginners league there should not be any recruiting.If you allow recruiting you have to allow all players to play.Be that as it may, the founders of this league forgot to set-up limits for pitchers like most leagues do.
If the child's coach is following the rules as they were set-up at the beginning of the season you have to let him play.
 shanna_5
Msg: 36
Posted: 9/1/2008 7:26:47 AM

The coach should have the kid pitch until he damages his arm?

I will answer that. No, he should not. Real medical issues can come from overusing muscles. If this boy continuously uses his arm,the arm muscle may tighten up as natures way to stop him from throwing. The tightening of the muscle and the continuing use of the arm will stress the tendons.The tendons will develop extra tissue to give it more strength.That will cause pain with everyday use of the arm, which could require physical therapy, or surgery. Then he could be out of the game for good. Winning a game is not worth this boys health.Well, it shouldn't be anyway.
 designingwoman
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2008 2:54:34 PM
Put him in the next highest bracket and let the kid play ball!!
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Banned for Being Too Good