Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > The Dumbing Down Of The American Mind      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 captain canuck
Msg: 136
The Dumbing Down Of The American Mind Page 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
beacause you watched it on TV ? hahaha !!!!!!!! do you believe everything on TV ? Do you not take things with a grain of salt ? I have watched hundreds of Docs, but I still have enough common sense to know that each of them is bias. But I guess I was wrong and you were right because you have watched them all, lol.
 greg8001
Msg: 137
The Dumbing Down Of The American Mind
Posted: 9/12/2008 11:42:27 PM
I think the U.S. has some problems with its public school system. U.S. K-12 students seem to be regularly beaten by K-12 students in other OECD countries, especially in science and maths. Also worrying is the attempts by religious fundamentalists to have evolution banned from the high science cirruculum and replaced by 'creation science', or at least 'creation science' is given equal time to serious science. It is like trying to give numerology equal time to regular mathematics in mathematics classes, teaching astrology with astronomy, dowsing with geology, and so on.

On the other hand, the U.S. has an excellent higher education system, especially in its universities and corporate research institutions (such as Bell labs). The U.S. still leads the world in many intellectual areas and by volume, publishes the most academic research literature. Many nobel prize winners in a number of fields have been American researchers.

I think overall the U.S. has a good education system, but its K-12 system probably needs a good overhaul. They can start by ensuring creationists don't get their paws on the science cirriculum and give better funding to schools in marginalised places.
 kabiosile
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 2:10:33 AM

"War is Peace"
"Freedom is Slavery"
"Ignorance is Strength"

Good ole double speak. Seems to be quite in fashion these days. All I have to say about this topic is it is just too easy for those who want to do it to put the buga buga on the minds of the masses.

No rulers like to have people who can think for themselves. They like people who think they are thinking for themselves but really are controlling themselves instead.

All teachers and others interested in the school system of the USA needs to read this guys work I have shared a small essay of his below the link in the quote will show you more...

Also highly recommended
DESCHOOLING SOCIETY
by Ivan Illich.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUoYAj7Nosg

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/prologue.htm
An essay that was put in the wall street journal from a man who had more than 50 years in the school system. by John Taylor Gatto

Government schooling is the most radical adventure in history. It kills the family by monopolizing the best times of childhood and by teaching disrespect for home and parents. The whole blueprint of school procedure is Egyptian, not Greek or Roman. It grows from the theological idea that human value is a scarce thing, represented symbolically by the narrow peak of a pyramid.

That idea passed into American history through the Puritans. It found its "scientific" presentation in the bell curve, along which talent supposedly apportions itself by some Iron Law of Biology. It’s a religious notion, School is its church. I offer rituals to keep heresy at bay. I provide documentation to justify the heavenly pyramid.

Socrates foresaw if teaching became a formal profession, something like this would happen. Professional interest is served by making what is easy to do seem hard; by subordinating the laity to the priesthood. School is too vital a jobs-project, contract giver and protector of the social order to allow itself to be "re-formed." It has political allies to guard its marches, that’s why reforms come and go without changing much. Even reformers can’t imagine school much different.

David learns to read at age four; Rachel, at age nine: In normal development, when both are 13, you can’t tell which one learned first—the five-year spread means nothing at all. But in school I label Rachel "learning disabled" and slow David down a bit, too. For a paycheck, I adjust David to depend on me to tell him when to go and stop. He won’t outgrow that dependency. I identify Rachel as discount merchandise, "special education" fodder. She’ll be locked in her place forever.

In 30 years of teaching kids rich and poor I almost never met a learning disabled child; hardly ever met a gifted and talented one either. Like all school categories, these are sacred myths, created by human imagination. They derive from questionable values we never examine because they preserve the temple of schooling.

That’s the secret behind short-answer tests, bells, uniform time blocks, age grading, standardization, and all the rest of the school religion punishing our nation. There isn’t a right way to become educated; there are as many ways as fingerprints. We don’t need state-certified teachers to make education happen—that probably guarantees it won’t.

How much more evidence is necessary? Good schools don’t need more money or a longer year; they need real free-market choices, variety that speaks to every need and runs risks. We don’t need a national curriculum or national testing either. Both initiatives arise from ignorance of how people learn or deliberate indifference to it. I can’t teach this way any longer. If you hear of a job where I don’t have to hurt kids to make a living, let me know. Come fall I’ll be looking for work.

Well now, it has been known since the days of Socrates, that governments do not like truth and do not like anyone who speaks it and more importantly teach how to find it for yourself.

There is a fundamental contempt for free thinking people. So strong is this contempt, that they force all of us to drink the poison of "education" due to the "danger" these people present to society.

The question that should be asked is what that danger is? When you ask this question, The foundations crumble and you see the wizards ass behind the curtain and then realize the wizard is in your own mind, controlling your every thought so you dont get out of line.
 odiummalice
Msg: 139
Posted: 9/16/2008 4:17:42 AM
It is going to have to take a revolution to get America back, not to the way it once was but to a NWO. Not the NWO that the bottom feeding, corrupt, war pig that you call the president, along with a long line of other evil men want. I am talking about a NWO of peace, no wars for oil, no massive debt created by years of war. If you break down the American debt to each man woman and child in America, they would each owe about 600,000$.
I'm sure most of you have heard of this amazing man, as he was the front runner in the Republican party Internet voting before MCcain, songbird the senile was chosen, and that man is Ron Paul. He is a hero just like JFK, telling the truth is what JKF was murdered for, if you want to challenge that, just click here and listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ngJNIk8elA .
Ron Paul: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heaVKmBZp0s&feature=related . With this I challenge you to do you homework on Ron Paul and find out what kind of criminals your leaders are, and what your other option is. I am Canadian and I have my own battle against Harper, but I also believe that Canadian polotics are highly affected by American elections. There fore I beg you to attend every protest in your reach, fight for your rights because very soon your going to have to, the sooner the better folks.

P.S. Here is a little taste of Ron Paul that might just perk your interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI5lC4Z_T80

odiummalice
Msg: 140
Posted: 9/16/2008 4:23:57 AM
Posted By: SteelCity1981 on 9/15/2008 11:01:38 PM
Subject: The Dumbing Down Of The American Mind
Message: What does dictatorship have anything to do with crime rates? Nothing. There was not one post where I made of any sort references in regards to censoring the right to protest based on free speech.

Well if you had, then you would have also read the FBI crime rate statistics, but hey you read of all that too LOL.

I’d imagine that the political parties are diff in the U.S. Why is that funny? If you are saying that there is no diff between the Dems and the Reps in this country, then you have been living in a cave.

All I have to say is that both of the parties no longer stand for what the originally did.
 captain canuck
Msg: 141
Posted: 9/18/2008 12:50:09 PM
Im living in a cave ? hahahaha !!!! You are the one that thinks the two parties are actually different and you say that Im living in a cave, hahaha. Honestly , wake up !!!
 captain canuck
Msg: 142
Posted: 9/18/2008 12:54:06 PM
Where did you hear of Ron Paul ? Im just curious because I know the mainstream brainwashing media doesnt talk about him at all.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2008 3:46:21 PM
If I’m actually wrong, then why don't you provide real proof instead of an oblivated view that these parties aren't diff in their policies and stance?

There is your proof right there. I could provide much more if you like……….

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_(United_States)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_(United_States)
 captain canuck
Msg: 144
Posted: 9/19/2008 12:11:17 AM
You dont get what Im saying do you ? I know what each party claims to stand for,lol.
When did polititians start telling the truth ? This whole topic was about the dumbing down of the american mind, was it not ? I hate to say it but maybe you are a perfect example. Im not trying to be an ***hole but how can anyone think that the two parties are different, they are both in bed with each other. Ofcourse they want to seem different to keep everyone fron thinking otherwise. All politititians in the U.S and in Canada are pulled by the billion dollar corporations, they dont give a shit about you or me as long as we buy into their game. Putting up the wikipedia definition on the parties is hardly credible, that is like asking Fox News about the republican party,lol, which is a whole different topic. Do you understand what Im saying now ?
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2008 1:57:26 PM
I find the dumbing down example to be funny to say the least considering i'm reading nothing but obliverated opinions from you.

You never said anything in regards to corruption, you ask a broad question, all you said was differences, so I provided fundamental policies and stance difference between the two. You are referring to something entirely different with this “everyone is in bed with one another statement.” I mean seriously we all know politics "can" be corrupt so what is your point?

Wikipedia is hardly creditable? Well then provide evidence that it isn't when it comes to the two party differences in which those two links provided. I can give you many other creditable sources here as well, but yet, I see nothing on your end to counter the Wikipedia source as not being creditable.

itechman63
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2008 2:12:35 PM
You guys are all right. The Democrats and Republicans are different in that they prefer different positions when screwing us. They are the same in that they screw us for their own interests in serving the same interests.

I think when we talk about the "dumbing down" it comes down to someone providing information and the only responses are either 1)"Hell yeah!" or 2)"Nuh-uh!". No one says to everything they hear, "Prove it!". I mean everything. Take no singular entity's word for anything. When you should say "Prove it" the most is when someone with whom you agree says something.

It's not that we're dumb or even that we're lazy. It's that we're gullible and we hate being wrong more than we love being right.
 captain canuck
Msg: 147
Posted: 9/19/2008 2:46:17 PM
You dont get it ! Im trying to get out of talking with you. Just leave it at that. I could show you evidence but I can tell it would not be good enough for you. You have your opinion and thats fine, we all have one.
The reason I dont think wikipedia is credible is because I can bet a years salary that each parties write up on there is done by some person who is bias. Dont get me wrong I like wikipedia but its also not the best thing when it comes to info because anyone can write something on there.
Its very obvious what I have been trying to say,lol.
 OneBlend
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2008 2:54:24 PM
Here's a good video worth the 10 minutes of invested time.
The Chemical Dumbing Down of America .....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLYrSfnsqb0
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2008 3:18:27 PM
I get what you have been saying, everyone knows that the two parties or politics for that matter can be corrupted; I’m not disagreeing with you on that. But in order for things to become better more people have to stop blindly voting for people based on what they will do (which is a prime example of the dumbing down of america) but instead vote on what they have done so people aren’t electing more of the same corruption.

I understand that Wikipedia can be edited, but what's there is basically the same thing that you can find everywhere else in terms of the fundamental differences in policies.
 captain canuck
Msg: 150
Posted: 9/19/2008 7:22:29 PM
I agree with you about that except for the fact that there is no person to vote for. I give you an example. Here in Canada in the late 1980's this thing called GST started being talked about and all the oposition parties were against it. The party that was in power at the time created it anyway. During the next elestion Jean Cretien of the Liberal party promised to do away with it if he became Prime Minister, also other members of his party bet their carrers on it. He won the election and didnt do a thing about it. I could name a whole wack of examples. I watch U.S. politics very close as well. I know whats happening down there to. Time and tme again I see someone get into power and do just what the other person was doing.
 captain canuck
Msg: 151
Posted: 9/19/2008 7:24:20 PM
I hope I havent offended you cause that was not my intention.
 captain canuck
Msg: 152
Posted: 9/19/2008 9:25:16 PM
www.infowars.com its a great site !!!!
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2008 10:39:11 PM
No you haven't offeneded me at all, I don't get offended on the internet especially on messege boards. No harm done.

You're right there isn't anyone genuine in this election or last election or the election before etc... We haven't had someone that was close to being as genuine as you can get in a prez since Reagan.
 captain canuck
Msg: 154
Posted: 9/20/2008 11:15:15 AM
In Canada it has been 30 or 40 years,lol.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > The Dumbing Down Of The American Mind