Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 301
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP Schtick is Sarah PainPage 13 of 104    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
hey exodusi1 that's her right as an american, if she don't beleive it, then that's her right and besides aren't liberals like yourself suppose to favor or permit freedom of action, esp. with respect to matters of personal belief or expression? You aren't doing a good job of upholding that.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 302
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 8/30/2008 3:23:15 AM

Do a google next time. When you have facts you don't have to invent so much garbage and, it less fatiguing.

OH no he didn't!
 dabearsguy
Msg: 303
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 3:29:40 AM

This "metrosexual" (you learned a new word?)
Matter of fact I did. When I work, I get my hands very dirty. I also hunt, shoot, fish, own a pickup and a Harley.
And he plays basketball like Kobe.
Oh, thats why they call him the Messiah.
 Barredbard
Msg: 304
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 3:32:35 AM
'McCain has been to war'

Yes, he has. Not to derogate a perfectly good war record, but we all realize what an indomitable warrior the redoubtable John McCain is. Armed with naught but a rusty AK-47 missing its firing pin, he charged a battalion of enraged Vietnamese and compelled them all to eat apple pies in honor of the US. That record has only been outperformed once; by Samson in the Bible, who reportedly slew one thousand Philistines with nothing but - get this - the jawbone of an ass. Not to be churlish or anything, but I should mention that Samson also displayed poor judgment in his dalliances with mademoiselle Delilah. Rumors are rife about Mr. McCain's parleys with other women, his age notwithstanding... And yet no matter how much we may admire him for his military background, it does not necessarily translate to leadership abilities. The type of leadership required of a president these days is necessarily of a less delineated kind than that which saw George Washington astride a prancing war horse leading the militia in the revolutionary war. A president in contemporary times would not be allowed to actually take to the fields with the infantry - no matter how much of a demonstrated berserk he is. Rather he issues commands from the relative safety and sanctity of the White House. That being the case, we ought to have an individual not susceptible to tantrums and tirades to be in control of all those weapons of mass destruction. I would rather have an individual with a modicum of intellect operating behind the scenes in the White House. Yes, I respect McCain's demonstrated sacrifice for our country. But no, I do not see that his service makes him especially better qualified for a job that requires a great deal of tact and diplomacy. Like I mentioned earlier, yes, we all realize what a mighty and impregnable country the US is. But that does not mean we can afford to alienate the rest of the world. The Bush administration has effectively estranged the international community. Obama - regardless of any misgivings we may have - has shown that he has the charm and skill to win other foreign leaders to his side.
 427cammer
Msg: 305
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 4:00:05 AM
I don't have an abundance of knowledge about McCain. I do know (unless we've all somehow been fed a bunch of propaganda) about his refusal to go home from a POW camp untilhis fellow POW's could go with him. His integrity and courage to follow through with convictions would be a tremendous asset to have in a president.

I watch news (sometimes), read papers (and these forums) and most every bit of information I get about any of these candidates is always skewed depending on who's delivering it. I watched Clinton and Obama debate on TV and in my mind he soundly defeated her. He is the better choice for a democrat candidate. I'm going to be watching the presidential debates as well and hopefully I can find a clear winner. And then... well then I wait, along with the rest of the world because I'm Canadian, and I don't get a vote.

I hope all the VOTERS watch with an open mind, and may the best man win.

I have a feeling the day after I'm going to be reading people from both sides screaming "We Kicked your ass".
 Mr Gummischuh
Msg: 306
Posted: 8/30/2008 4:15:59 AM
McCain has reversed himself to come out in favor of drilling for oil off America’s coasts, and now with his pick for V.P. has come out and endorsed drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife refuge in Alaska.

I'm a realist so let's all be real for a minute. We have a lot of different groups and types of people in this world. We have some people who are very political and those people will either like her and stand up for her or dislike her and try to pick her a part. This group will not decide the election on their own. Just not enough of them either way. Furthermore, these people already know how and who they are voting for and there is no changing their minds. Then you have those who are sick and tired of and hate politics. Now these people will vote simply by the little they hear of and from her and by what they see. Now there are a lot of these people I think and this is the group that will ultimately decide the election. She sounds good and looks good and makes the McCain ticket look good in my opinion. She sounds smart and looks good on the surface so far. I listen to her speak, and I hear change. I hear things, I don't hear from other politicians. Heck... I bet if you took a poll right now you'll see McCains numbers climb 5% just because he picked someone most men will look at and their first thought about her will be that she is a MILF . If we voted strictly on experience and political views nobody would get elected. Every election seems to come down to picking the best of the bad... and McCains ticket isn't looking all that bad right now .

I found this website on her http://www.vpilf.com/. Check it out. It seems to have some good information on her. Don't know how correct it is, but it looks like good accurate information.
 Mr Gummischuh
Msg: 307
10 Things You Didn't Know About Sarah Palin
Posted: 8/30/2008 4:24:54 AM
http://www.usnews.com

1. Sarah Louise Palin (nee Heath) was born Feb., 1964, in Sandpoint, Idaho. Her family moved to Alaska when Sarah was an infant. Her father, Chuck, is a retired schoolteacher.

2. She attended Wasilla High School where she played point guard on the state champion basketball team. Her nickname was "Sarah Barracuda."

3. Palin graduated in 1987 from the University of Idaho with a degree in journalism. She worked briefly as a sports reporter in Anchorage.

4. She refers to her husband, Todd, as the "First Dude." He's worked as a commercial fisherman and as a production operator on the North Slope for BP. He enjoys snowmobiling and has won the Tesoro Iron Dog, billed as the world's longest snowmobile race, four times.

5. Palin and her husband have five children, Bristol, Piper, Track, Willow, and Trig. Trig, born in 2008, has been diagnosed with Down syndrome. Her son Track joined the army in 2007.

6. Her favorite meal is moose stew.

7. She comes from a family of outdoor enthusiasts. Her parents, Chuck and Sally Heath, enjoy hunting and fishing, and have both completed marathons.

8. Palin was named Miss Wasilla in 1984 and was a runner-up for Miss Alaska. In 1996 she was elected mayor of Wasilla.

9. She's a lifetime NRA member and enjoys hunting, fishing, and snowmobiling.

10. Elected in 2006, she's Alaska's first female governor and the youngest governor elected in the state.
 mjk21258
Msg: 308
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 4:45:14 AM
jd28spot on 8/29/2008 1141 AM
Subject: It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Message: Don't even try to go there with the LESS experience issue.
Out of the four candidates, limited yes, but Governor Palin is the ONLY one with any executive experience at all!

Oh Please, executive experience as mayor of a town of less than 6 thousand and less than two years as Governor of the State with the 4th smallest population. I would hardly call that experienced, atleast the other 3 know something of the dealing of Washington, DC.
 mjk21258
Msg: 309
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 4:52:37 AM
I highly doubt this will win over the disgruntled Hillary supporters! Yeah, I can see Hillary supporters voting for a pro-life (anti-abortion), lifelong NRA, anti-gay marriage...... type. NOT

If they wanted to pull in some disgruntled Hillary supporters a better choice would have been a pro-choice type such as former PA governor Tom Ridge. And a choice like that would have enabled them to still hammer Obama on the experience issue and would have given McCain Pennsylvania's 21 electoral votes vs Alaska's 3, which I am sure he was already assured of.

This choice may very well have lost him the election.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 310
Posted: 8/30/2008 5:38:01 AM

McCain is on the ropes ~ and he knows it.

How's that? McCain was dead even in the polls before the Dem. Convention. A 6 point bump isn't much. They should be dead even again once the RNC concludes next week.

Once Obama isn't behind a podium with a teleprompter he sucks. He stutters and flails when under pressure. Even in Rick Warren he couldn't hold it together.

Bottom line is that you have to pick a Presidential candidate who's able to do the job. It's the Presidential candidate that's the most important, not the VP.

I don't think Obama can do the job, so I pick McCain.
 exodusi1
Msg: 311
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 6:06:16 AM
Nice spin, Obama doesn't "suck" as an orator, he is exceptional, AGAIN it is called thoughtfulness. . . He carefully chooses his words. . . I know you aren't use to this, given the candidates YOUR party selects, but our party is known for its great communicators; FDR, JFK, Bobby, Carter, Clinton. . . Obama. . .

38 Million people watched Obama. . . Anyone who listened with an open mind was MOVED. . .

Obama not only can, but WILL do the job!
 exodusi1
Msg: 312
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 6:29:17 AM
And just what will be your story on January 21st, as me, my son and my dad, three generations, One lifelong republican, one headstrong Democrat and a future leader watch as Barack Obama is sworn in as the Nation's 44th president to a RECORD crowd?
 exodusi1
Msg: 313
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 6:35:06 AM
That's a fair answer. . .
 MacKevinized
Msg: 314
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 6:40:28 AM
I wonder who did the vetting on this one.

It to me like Mzzzz Palin and her family are some major manipulators.

You know she got her degree in journalism right?
so she knows how to tell a story.

I just read the documents pertaining to the investigation of her abuse of power and find some stuff pretty interesting.

Wooten, the state trooper that Palin's sister was married to, is probably a jerk and did some really dumb things, starting with marrying into such a kooky family.

Molly, Palin's sister, was getting grief from her dad for not having used her moose hunting permit and talked Wooten into going hunting with her. When they got there there was only one gun and Molly didn't want to shoot it and made Wooten shoot it which violated state law because it was her permit.

3 years later, they remembered the incident when there was a custody dispute between Wooten and Molly.

Other transcripts of interviews sound like they staged arguments with Wooten to get him angry and then called in witnesses to show the anger to.

Mzzzzzzzz Palin got her family to pressure Wooten's boss to fire him and at first denied her office had anything to do with it but then the email came out of her telling Wooten's boss a list of allegations against Wooten.

In one allegation, Palin describes to another Trooper (Wall) how she had her sister call her when her when wooten was just getting home. When Wooten comes in the house, Molly proceedes to have a verbal confrontation with him. Palin get's her son involved in the call (as a witness) and get's in her car to drive to her sister's. When she get's there she gets the neighbors to come and view the confrontation from the outside of the house because she fears Wooten might kill her sister.

Now, as Palin and the neighbors are viewing through the plate glass window, Molly conveniently decides to move the argument from the bedroom to the downstairs living room in front of the plate glass window.

With the argument now being witnessed by Palin and the neighbors, Palin tells the neighbors she wants them to make sure to report to 911 if the argument turns violent and that she has an important business meeting to get to and leaves the scene.

She claims her sister's life is in mortal danger and leaves the scene for an important meeting

Why would Palin leave the scene if she thought her sister could be killed?
Why didn't she call 911 if she thought her sister could be killed?
 mjk21258
Msg: 315
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 6:48:51 AM
Naaaa, I doubt it. McLeader made a great move. You can see in his eyes how happy hi is with his choice. I bet Obama is puttin' on his chapstick as we speak.

Well, if he loses the election by less than 21 electoral votes and doesn't carry PA, his chosing Palin over Tom Ridge would be the difference.

Like I said, choosing Sarah Palin isn't going to bring in many woman supporters of Hillary Clinton, if any at all. Choosing Tom Ridge wouldn't have chased many conservatives away to vote for Obama/Biden, but it would have almost assured that McCain would have carried Pennsylvania and with that PA's electoral votes.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 316
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 6:57:55 AM
I think McCain would have made a better choice picking MICHEAL Palin, frankly.

I just don't see where any advantage she has outweighs the disadvantages she brings (as opposed to picking someone else).

Don't get me wrong, she seems to be a good speaker (better than McCain, surprisingly), and a rather pleasant person who has some strong beliefs we can admire her for.

1) If this is an attempt to somehow get Hillary supporters, it's not going to work well. Hillary supporters aren't typically pro-life people who support intelligent design teaching.

And she said THIS about Hillary ?

When I hear a statement like that, coming from a woman candidate, with any kind of perceived whine about that excess criticism or maybe a sharper microscope put on her - I think that doesn't do us any good, women in politics, or women in general wanting to progress this country. I don't think it bodes well for her, a statement like that. Because again, fair or unfair, it is there. I think that's reality, and I think it's a given, I think people can just accept that she is going to be under that sharper microscope. So be it. I mean, work harder, prove yourself to an even greater degree that you're capable, that you're going to be the best candidate and that is of course what she wants us to believe at this point. So, it bothers me a little bit, hearing her bring that attention to herself, on that level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

Pro-choice ?

According to Gallup's annual Values and Beliefs survey, updated May 8-11, Americans as a whole are slightly more likely to call themselves "pro-choice" on abortion than "pro-life," 50% to 44%. This is nearly identical to where Americans stood on the issue a year ago, and is similar to the close division seen since 1998.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/107458/
Abortion-Issue-Laying-Low-2008-Campaign.aspx

Most American women are not going to be easily signing their choice away simply to support a ticket this "pro-life".

This is enough of an issue, especially when connected with the potential limitations on birth control availability, emergency contraception, and abstinence education that this ticket also strongly supports.

Vote these two in, and the risk is quite high women will lose that choice. So any contention that Hillary supporters will somehow flock to any ticket a woman is on is somewhat simplistic.

Even the VATICAN doesn't support intelligent design anymore.

Just how bad is it when the Vatican thinks it's a regressive idea - and the two Republican politicians running for President of the USA embrace it strongly ?

Intelligent Design reduces and belittles God’s power and might, according to the director of the Vatican Observatory.

Christianity is “radically creationist,” Father George V. Coyne said, but it is not best described by the “crude creationism” of the fundamental, literal, scientific interpretation of Genesis or by the Newtonian dictatorial God who makes the universe tick along like a watch. Rather, he stresses, God acts as a parent toward the universe, nurturing, encouraging and working with it.

In his remarks, he also criticizes the cardinal archbishop of Vienna’s support for Intelligent Design and notes that Pope John Paul’s declaration that “evolution is no longer a mere hypothesis” is “a fundamental church teaching” which advances the evolutionary debate.

He calls “mistaken” the belief that the Bible should be used “as a source of scientific knowledge,” which then serves to “unduly complicate the debate over evolution.”

http://www.catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=18503

2) It may solidify the far right of the evangelist side, who weren't going to vote for Obama anyway. Two solid "pro-life" people on the ticket will appease any fears they have.

She also denies that global warming is a man made thing :

http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2008/08/29/palin-denies-that-global-warming-is-man-made.aspx

That may cost them others , ones that were fence sitters, simply because of those beliefs BOTH candidates share.

A Fairbanks paper, Alaska's second largest city btw, has a good article on her :

No doubt about it. In fact, as the governor herself acknowledged in her acceptance speech, she never set out to be involved in public affairs. She has never publicly demonstrated the kind of interest, much less expertise, in federal issues and foreign affairs that should mark a candidate for the second-highest office in the land. Republicans rightfully have criticized the Democratic nominee, Sen. Barack Obama, for his lack of experience, but Palin is a neophyte in comparison; how will Republicans reconcile the criticism of Obama with the obligatory cheering for Palin? Or will everyone just be forced to drop the subject? That’s not a comforting possibility. Although no one has the perfect resume and experience isn't everything, it is an important quality to weigh. Palin, if elected vice president, would ascend to the presidency if anything should happen to McCain, who turned 72 today.

Most people would acknowledge that, regardless of her charm and good intentions, Palin is not ready for the top job. McCain seems to have put his political interests ahead of the nation’s when he created the possibility that she might fill it.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/2008/aug/29/palin-has-much-prove/

That "bridge to nowhere" she "fought" against ?

Did Palin Really Fight The “Bridge To Nowhere”?

Republicans have been heavily touting Sarah Palin's reformist credentials, with her supposed opposition to Alaska's "Bridge to Nowhere" as Exhibit A. But how hard did she really fight the project? Not very, it seems. Here's what she told the Anchorage Daily News on October 22, 2006, during the race for the governor's seat (via Nexis):

5. Would you continue state funding for the proposed Knik Arm and Gravina Island bridges?

Yes. I would like to see Alaska's infrastructure projects built sooner rather than later. The window is now--while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist.

So she was very much for the bridge and insisted that Alaska had to act quickly—the party of Ted Stevens and Don Young might soon lose its majority, after all. By that point, the project was endangered for reasons that had nothing to do with Palin—the bridge had become a national laughingstock, Congress had stripped away the offending earmark, shifting the money back to the state's general fund, and future federal support seemed unlikely. True, after Palin was sworn into office that fall, her first budget didn't allocate any money for the bridge. But when the Daily News asked on December 16, 2006, if she now opposed the project, Palin demurred and said she was just trying to figure out where the bridge fit on the state's list of transportation priorities, given the lack of support from Congress. Finally, on September 19, 2007, she decided to redirect funds away from the project altogether with this sorry-sounding statement:

"Ketchikan desires a better way to reach the airport, but the $398 million bridge is not the answer," said Governor Palin. "Despite the work of our congressional delegation, we are about $329 million short of full funding for the bridge project, and it's clear that Congress has little interest in spending any more money on a bridge between Ketchikan and Gravina Island," Governor Palin added. "Much of the public's attitude toward Alaska bridges is based on inaccurate portrayals of the projects here. But we need to focus on what we can do, rather than fight over what has happened."

Maybe I've missed something, but it sure looks like she was fine with the bridge in principle, never had a problem with the earmarks, bristled at all the mockery, and only gave up on the project when it was clear that federal support wasn't forthcoming. Now, Charles Homans, who knows Alaska well, says Palin's anti-corruption instincts are fairly solid (she sold off the gubenatorial jet upon taking office, for one), and a casual Nexis search suggests that she's fiscally conservative (insofar as that term makes sense in a quasi-socialist state like Alaska), but this hardly looks like the "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" moment everyone's making it out to be.

http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2008/08/29/did-palin-really-fight-the-bridge-to-nowhere.aspx

She's FOR earmarks ?

Recently, members of the Alaska congressional delegation announced they would post on their Web sites the earmark requests it receives. Gov. Sarah Palin has applauded this decision.

Earlier this year, President Bush and the congressional leadership announced that the total number and dollar amount of earmarks must be reduced significantly.

The Palin administration has responded to this message by requesting 31 earmarks, down from 54 last year. Of these, 27 involve continuing or previous appropriations and four are new. The total dollar amount of these requests has been reduced from about $550 million in the previous year to just less than $200 million.

http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/031808/opi_258953362.shtml

And she's running with Mr "I'll veto-every-earmark-that-crosses-my-desk" ?

Experience/education

Palin holds a Bachelor of Science degree in journalism from the University of Idaho, where she also minored in political science

Palin began her political career in 1992, running for Wasilla City Council as a supporter of the controversial new sales tax and with an advertisement advocating "a safer, more progressive Wasilla".

(edit: just how bad could it have been, in Wasilla pop: perhaps >5,000 (that era) ? )

She won and served two terms on the council from 1992 to 1996.

In 1996, she challenged and defeated incumbent mayor John Stein, criticizing wasteful spending and high taxes.

Palin followed through on her campaign promises to reduce her own salary, and to reduce property taxes by 40%. She also increased the city sales tax to pay for construction of an indoor ice rink and sports complex.

At this time, state Republican leaders began grooming her for higher office.

She ran for re-election against Stein in 1999, winning by an even larger margin.

Palin was also elected president of the Alaska Conference of Mayors.

(She also supported Pat Buchanan ?)

Governor Murkowski appointed Palin Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, where she served from 2003 to 2004

Palin became Alaska's first woman governor and, at 42, the youngest in Alaskan history. Palin was also the first Alaskan governor born after Alaska achieved U.S. statehood and the first not to be inaugurated in Juneau, instead choosing to hold her inauguration ceremony in Fairbanks. She took office on December 4, 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

Her fight against corruption and wasteful spending was very laudable, but that may not go over very well with a lot of top Republicans - and the K street gang.

Her plan to increase taxes on oil companies actually suggests a closer tie with Obama's vision, and not McCain's.

She's the personal pick of Rush Limbaugh,****Cheney, Karl Rove and Pat Buchanan ?

Rove now supports the choice of Palin for exactly the same reasons he rejected Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine ? He's from a far larger state population wise, has been in office longer, and yet he would "not be capable" of assuming the presidency if chosen as VP ?

Pat Buchanan : "She's probably the most dynamic young conservative in the country."

Anyone Buchanan defines as a conservative can't be good.

You cannot GET more right wing than Buchanan, and if you try to... you just run into a wall. He's thinks McCain is a bit light in the loafers when it comes to conservatism , for God's sake.

RUSH: Hockey mom. Pistol-packing hockey mom!
RUSH: She's a conservative. Success, folks. Success here in this pick.
RUSH: Hubba. Hubba. Hubba. (edit : WHO says that anymore ? )
RUSH: You think Hillary was depressed watching Obama? Ha! Ha! Imagine Hillary watching this.
RUSH: This is an honest, authentic speech. It is not about promises. It's about accomplishments. This could hardly be better.
RUSH: It could hardly be better.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082908/content/01125107.guest.html

Anyone that turns rush into a hubba hubba dancin' fool can't be good either.

So, I respectfully submit that this is one choice that's going to cost McCain far more than he gains.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 318
Posted: 8/30/2008 7:29:18 AM
Very good post. Those are exactly the assets she brings.

She'll excite the pro-lifers and get them to the polls

She's also strong on other conservative social issues, (she's a gun-toting hockey mom) and that image/slogan gets across everything it needs to for the social conservative base.

She's very knowledgable/speaks well about drilling, because it has been a part of her life for so long. There's a lot of debate on that issue, but mccain and obama pretty much make the same argument (mix of drilling and alternative energy) but neither can speak with conviction. Also, living in alaska and making an argument that climate change/endangered species concerns are over stated is exactly what many republican voters like to hear. When they question themselves, nothing convinces them faster than liberals and conservationalists denouncing their candidate, so she may get those guys to the polls

I don't think she'll get any old hillary/ now undecided votes, except for the extremely retarded ones.

So mccain probably figured that scooping up the hold-out conservatives would be better than trying to poach hillary democrats.

The big risk is that, while a gun toting hockey mom may sway certain social issue conservatives, it will also drive all the old hillary votes strongly toward obama, because that pro-life, anti contraception issue strongly drives voters opposed to it, whether they are otherwise left leaning or fiscal conservatives.

So we'll see. Much like dems and folks tired of bush weren't bothered by obama's untestedness, I doubt conservatives who care about limiting abortions will care about palin's. Many of them feel abortion is the only issue, and foreign policy, the economy, etc are all too abstract to be concerned about.
 PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 319
Posted: 8/30/2008 7:35:01 AM

Oh Please, executive experience as mayor of a town of less than 6 thousand and less than two years as Governor of the State with the 4th smallest population. I would hardly call that experienced, atleast the other 3 know something of the dealing of Washington, DC.

Wow! 23 pages now.

Let's see, Governor of a state with half a million plus. She brought major change, put money into the hands of the state's Citizens, reduced pork earmarks tremendously, oversaw an energy plan which the rest of the Nation's experts are saying will set a precedent, etc. etc. It's hard enough to get 2 or 3 people to agree on this Forum... and to get Congress to work together... that's a feat. McCain and Palin are the best ones to do it. Maverick/Maverick.

Yep, the other 3 sure do know the dealings of Washington. The fresh face will be Palin. At least McCain brings the 'change' that Obama spouts but doesn't produce.

On all the threads... I have yet to see Obama and Biden's plans laid out specifically. I've seen McCain's and Palin's though. Wonder why that is? Because Obama and Biden are just the same ole same ole politics. But, new/fresh is with the McCain/Palin ticket.

McCain/Palin!
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 320
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 7:48:24 AM

On all the threads... I have yet to see Obama and Biden's plans laid out specifically. I've seen McCain's and Palin's though.

Not like it hasn't been tried, your Purpleness.

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts10126014.aspx

We've tried discussing those McCain issues too, but few showed up (except yourself )

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts9993962.aspx

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts10252634.aspx

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts9963015.aspx

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts10004870.aspx

Wonder why that is?

I was wondering the same thing, actually.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 321
Posted: 8/30/2008 7:57:35 AM
Purplecrayon,

Your only evidence that palin cut "pork" is her own claim that she did. There seems to be some debate on that issue.

But I think you are in favor of her because she is socially conservative. I suspect that is all that matters.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 322
Posted: 8/30/2008 8:06:57 AM
Palin might yet pan out. We'll see much more of her at the Republican Convention and the coming debates. She could very well be the inspired choice McCain is hoping on that equally satisfies conservatives and draws more women, but on paper she seems no match for Biden. We'll all see in the final stretch drive of this presidential campaign. If nothing else it'll be fascinating to watch unfold.

And for everybody, not just PurpleCrayon, if you want to know both candidate's plans simply visit their respective web sites, read up, and compare/contrast. They've been there for all to see for months.

Obama/Biden!
 faith2565
Msg: 323
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 8:17:55 AM
McCain is exploiting Palin. African Americans are exploited all of the time. That means 'being used' for his good not for the good of the country. McCain used affirmative action to the extreme.

This is why I do not care for affirmative action, when used recklessly. I pray Obama reforms or gets rid of it. Some people just put someone up there to fit a quota, but not always the best person. Their are some that truly use it fairly. They need a woman and place the best woman in the position, but others do not. In this case other republicans have been going through this battle with him and now need to sit in the back ground.

We were worried about only one democrat being hurt in this process (Hillary), but this is his a whole party and future cabinet.

I think after Americans get over the shock, we will be ok.

This time it is not going to work. Only bitter truly bitter Hillary supporters will support McCain and many republicans (hard core) will not vote, because I have heard them express how they really feel about women in leadership.

McCain got caught up in the moment instead of looking at the long term, but we needed to see this in his personality before he had a chance to run the country and continued to make very emotionally based decisions (short term).

Maybe this ticket needs to be reversed Palin/McCain. Have the two young people on the top of the ticket and McCain as the VP. But, I do love Biden.

Like Redwine states why are we hatin on her she did not do this. She is feeling great and her family is proud. If they called anyone and stated they could be VP they would be honored. In this case the anger or comments should go toward McCain who made a very short term decision. (This is the first time I have ever stated anything negative about McCain).
 Barredbard
Msg: 324
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 8:24:58 AM
Reading these blogs makes for an interesting spectacle. Apparently someone feels that Michelle Obama 'doesn't know her place.' I am not sure what that means exactly. But let us speculate. Perhaps she is not humble in the traditional sense of a woman skulking behind the shadow of her man. Or perhaps she is not well educated enough, despite her law degree and other intellectual achievements. Or maybe as a black woman she should be ecstatic that her husband has been granted a podium and a mouthpiece and has been allowed to mingle with his betters. However. The author of that opinion also thinks Obama is not a good choice because there are people out there 'trying to kill us, not spank us.' A commendable attempt at levity, but one entirely bereft of logic. People are trying to kill us, so we hand the keys to our advanced weaponry to a man with proven anger management issues. A man who - despite how much we might admire his war record - has precious little going for himself as far as being intellectual is concerned. A man who might be senile. Yes that would make sense in George Lucas' Star Wars in a galaxy far away, but not in our present reality. If people hate us, and are trying to kill us, then maybe we need a President who can try to ascertain the reason why. Maybe we need a leader who can get the world to see that the US is not the big bully and tyrant that it is made out to be. Maybe then we can pick and choose our battles without having the entire world against us. This would seem to be a desirable goal for most people in possession of their faculties. Now more than ever, we don't need a blunt instrument in the White House...
 faith2565
Msg: 325
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 8:33:35 AM
Red it is a good laugh, but it is true. McCain is exploiting Palin using affirmative action. He also realized too many people in his party were filthy rich and needed a small town girl. She will have the power and say so of a mouse if he is elected.

I would not be surprised if he does not tell her to go do her hair and nails while he is in the white house instead of working as a team to help this country. The Bush's will still be behind the scene. If he make decisions like this what about his judgement for judges. It is scary.

Yes, it is obvious he only met her once because she is under investigation.

Hillary and Obama were on the trail for over 18 months so if the accusations were true they have had time to find the results.

I pray he has not put an Edward's' on his ticket. He does not know this woman. He is only thinking about himself not the country. Thinking short term.

There are people standing beside him that have been baptized in the fire. I guess they did not desire to be his VP, but on MSNBC Romney was hurt. That is good the republicans will go to the polls divided. The democrats have healed. Better for the democrats.

Obama/Biden 08
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]