Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 326
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah PalinPage 14 of 104    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)

You know what they say when one assumes?

Yeah. You wind up picking a weak VP choice like Palin.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 327
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 8/30/2008 8:51:18 AM
McCain picked Sarah Palin because of her combination of conservative credentials, youth, and gender. She is an excellent pick for McCain based on the factions he's trying to bring together. He's trying to bring together a coalition of conservative Christians, crossover women voters from Hillary, and young moderates/independants. Sarah has had a very interesting life and has had some great accomplishments.

BUT...... nothing Sarah has done in Alaska or Idaho can prepare her for the glare of Washington politics. It will be an entirely different world she's stepping into. One thing which is unquestioned about Obama, Biden, and McCain is that all three are tough as nails. Obama went through his baptism by fire in the rough Chicago political machine. Biden has been in legislative politics for 30 years. McCain's military and government history require no mention. On the other hand, Sarah was mayor of Wasilla (population 9,000) and has been Alaska's governor for 1.5 years. Washington will be a different world for her. The media will be different; the scrutiny will be different; and the standards will be different. I'll tell you the truth: I can't wait to see how this plays out, especially in the debates. Some candidates crack under the pressure. We are going to find out if McCain/Palin are ready to rumble.......or ready to crumble.

Can't wait.
 faith2565
Msg: 328
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 8:52:15 AM
What does the media have to say.......................

========================
The Palin Pick: Bold or Disastrous?
Friday, Aug. 29, 2008 By MARK HALPERIN

John McCain's selection of Sarah Palin as his running mate will either turn out to be a brilliant way for the Republican to scramble the race in his favor — or a disastrous pick that is cast as a desperate act.

An interview with the governor of Alaska reveals a dedicated and environmentally up-and-comer from America's largest state
Will Women Vote for Palin?
Sarah Palin may have been selected to appeal to disgruntled Hillary Clinton supporters, but one adviser doubts many of them will switch

Why McCain Picked Palin
John McCain needs to persuade swing voters that he’s willing to take on the Republican establishment...
McCain’s Play for Female Voters
John McCain accomplished a rare feat for a Republican candidate Friday, packing a 12,000-seat basket...
Transcript: TIME’s interview with Sarah Palin
Time’s Jay Newton Small interviewed Alaska Governor Sarah Palin by phone on Aug. 14, less than two w...
The Keys to McCain’s VP Pick
When you are running for President, you can’t exactly just have a few friends over on the weekend, e...

On the face of it, McCain has failed the ultimate test that any presidential candidate must face in picking a running mate: selecting someone who is unambiguously qualified to be president.
Palin is a talented politician who has both support among conservatives and a compelling personal story. But her short resume in Alaska politics and her nonexistent national track record will make it impossible for McCain to argue with a straight face that she was the most qualified person he could have selected.

===================================
McCain V.P. pick younger, less experienced than Obama
Posted: 06:28 PM ET

Click the play button to see what Jack and our viewers had to say. (PHOTO CREDIT: AP PHOTO)

FROM CNN’s Jack Cafferty:

All we have heard from John McCain for months is, “Barack Obama is too young. Barack Obama is too inexperienced to be commander-in-chief. Who do you want answering the phone in the White House at three a.m.? Blah, blah, blah.”

So what does McCain do? He picks someone to be his running mate who is even younger than Barack Obama and has less experience.

Sara Palin is 44 – Obama is 47. Sara Palin is in her first term as governor of Alaska, a state that has 13 people and some caribou. Obama is a member of the United States Senate from Illinois.

It’s not a big deal, except for this: If McCain wins, he will be the oldest person ever inaugurated for a first term at 72. He has a history of health problems that include bouts of melanoma, a potentially deadly form of skin cancer. It is reasonable to consider that McCain’s running mate could be called upon to be our president.

Meanwhile, some may see this as a move for McCain to attract disaffected women who voted for Hillary Clinton and aren’t yet behind Obama. But that might not work for a few reasons: Palin, like McCain, is pro-life. Also, she might be a woman, but she’s no Hillary Clinton – when it comes to her experience or her ideology.

========================================

Obama/Biden 08
 exodusi1
Msg: 329
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 8:55:40 AM
Obama has been well vetted, since the 2004 convention, he has been in the spotlight. He turned down the more lucrative path, to make a difference in the poor community he came from. . . This isn't a silver spoon in his mouth guy like Dubya or McCain. . . This is a hard working young man who is a self-made leader. . . He is everything our nation embodies, he is the first to try to take the high road. . . but he is tough enough to fight back. . . I have never been as excited and I voted for Hillary!
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 330
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 9:02:29 AM
and MG ~ come to Texas ~ I'll set you up and get you engaged at a grass roots level ~

I figure with my high tootin' liberal political persuasion, in Texas, I'd be a fixin' to be lookin' up at those grass roots before the sun got very high in the sky, pardner

Plus, I look real silly in a ten gallon hat.

not that it matters too much....what are the numbers between McCain and Obama? Im just curious.

Obama's got an almost 4 point lead, as of the latest RCP average of national polls.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

Again, the electoral college calculation is a more valid figure than a two party comparison. Third party candidates like Bob Barr may drain off far more McCain supporters.

It's really too early to consider the polls as any real indication, and again that's just one part of a very complex calculation on who has the stronger chance at winning in November.

After both conventions are over, and especially after the debates, they may take on more value.

nipoleon
Msg: 331
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 9:05:09 AM
There's a scientific term for McCain picking Palin.
This is what you call a " stunt ".

The whole purpose of picking her was to steal the attention away from the Dem's convention.
He could have done the same thing by having himself shot out of a cannon or maby jumping a motor cycle over some buses. It's all about bring attention to himself and it's worked brilliantly well.
 faith2565
Msg: 332
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 9:05:25 AM
Redwine here are the numbers......My statement was called sarcasm. He did not pick her for her brains. He picked her as a trophy to win. She is no Hillary!

======================
August 29, 2008

Gallup Daily: Obama Stretches Lead to 8 Points
Lead one of largest in campaign

USAElection 2008Gallup DailyAmericasNorthern America
PRINCETON, NJ -- The latest Gallup Poll Daily tracking finds Barack Obama moving to an eight percentage point lead over John McCain, 49% to 41%.

=========================

Barack Hussein Obama is still in the lead!

Obama/Biden 08

faith2565
Msg: 333
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 9:17:35 AM
Baracks stunts work (they are bringing people together)

McCain's stunt is hurting! The republican party is waking up today feeling what the democrats felt months ago when Obama's name was placed in nomination over Hillary's, but they do not feel they have any recourse. They do not have any say. They do not have a chance to vote on this person or even time to organize before the convention. Their convention starts Monday. Yes, it hurts me a little because I am a part of this American family and truly thought this morning it would have been Romney and we would be ready for battle, but this has thrown a monkey wrench in the pot and the republicans now must use a few days to explain their choice so we will be stuck in the election process. That is why they are wondering if McCain's stunt will back fire. The timing is off! It is time to really battle in the election. We do not have time to learn someone else!

There is a difference !

Obama/Biden 08
 mjk21258
Msg: 334
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 9:18:45 AM
Wow! 23 pages now.

Let's see, Governor of a state with half a million plus. She brought major change, put money into the hands of the state's Citizens, reduced pork earmarks tremendously, oversaw an energy plan which the rest of the Nation's experts are saying will set a precedent, etc. etc. It's hard enough to get 2 or 3 people to agree on this Forum... and to get Congress to work together... that's a feat. McCain and Palin are the best ones to do it. Maverick/Maverick.

Yep, the other 3 sure do know the dealings of Washington. The fresh face will be Palin. At least McCain brings the 'change' that Obama spouts but doesn't produce.

On all the threads... I have yet to see Obama and Biden's plans laid out specifically. I've seen McCain's and Palin's though. Wonder why that is? Because Obama and Biden are just the same ole same ole politics. But, new/fresh is with the McCain/Palin ticket.

Hmmmm half a million, as I pointed out. It is the 4th smallest state in population. I am sure she doesn't face the multitude of issues that a governor of a state with a population 10 times larger.

And while change would be good, I think someone needs to have the experience to implement that change also.

I really don't know if she is the qualified or not to do the job, but I think she was the wrong choice for McCain to pick. My boss and I were talking about the possible VP candidates before the choices were announced. He felt that the most important aspect was choosing someone capable of doing the job, I countered but first you have to get elected, so therefore in a close election the most important aspect is can that person help you get elected? I don't think Sarah Palin helps McCain get elected and may actually hurt him.
 Kaos86
Msg: 335
Posted: 8/30/2008 9:34:27 AM
Governor Sarah Palin is a brilliant choice...
She has gone after corrupt politicians on both sides, supports drilling in ANWR and drilling off-shore, is a strong fiscal conservative, and a devout Christian. She currently has around a 90% approval rating.
Governor Palin has passed ethics reforms in her state and is ethical to the point where it almost cost her a political career. She is referred to as, “A crusading corruption buster.” She has gone after corrupt Republicans as well as Democrats in Alaska. “The landscape is littered with the bodies of those who crossed Sarah,” says pollster Dave Dittman, who worked for her gubernatorial campaign. It includes Ruedrich, Renkes, Murkowski, gubernatorial contenders John Binkley and Andrew Halcro, the three big oil companies in Alaska, and a section of the Daily News called “Voice of the Times,” which was highly critical of Palin and is now defunct.” (Hard to sell papers critizing someone with a 90% approval rating.) It is now a crime in Alaska for public servants not to report bribery that they know about.

Another issue where she would be a plus is on coastal drilling as well as drilling in ANWR. With high energy prices and American’s screaming for Congress to act, Palin will help highlight one of Obama’s biggest weaknesses. Also being from Alaska, Americans may be more interested in her opinion about drilling there than they would a politician who may have visited once or twice in their lifetime.

Governor Palin also has a record as a strong fiscal conservative. She believes that people can handle their money better than government, an overriding conservative principle. Palin cut property taxes while at the same time increasing services as a Council Member/Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska. As Governor she has vetoed 1/3 of earmarks put into legislation, including several put in by Republicans.

Governor Palin is a devout Christian. This can only help McCain with the social conservative base of the party, who, for whatever reasons, do not believe he shares their values. Palin is pro-life and believes that marriage should be between a man and a woman. However she failed to sign a bill outlawing Gay Marriage due to the fact the Alaskan Supreme Court had said the law would be unconstitutional. She refers to her State Constitution as “my bible in governing.”

Let’s see did I forget anything? Why else would this young woman be a good pick for VP? That’s right, because she’s a young woman. Having a energetic young woman on the ticket would help McCain with the women’s vote and Palin could also do a great job on energizing the base. Also with a nickname like “Sarah Barracuda” you have to believe she could fill out the traditional role of the VP as an attack dog very well. I would not want to be on the other side of a debate with her.
 MacKevinized
Msg: 337
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 10:33:56 AM

with all due respect... Chaney and Bush are on their way out the door. Why are we bringing them up again?

'cause it's a warmonger and an incompetent cheerleader again.

Lets get to tomorrows news, the future.

'like Obama has been saying all along.

Those who live in the past will never have a future.

Huh???????????????????

Here's a few more clechés for ya'.

the early bird gets the worm
good things come to those who wait
early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise
a penny saved is a penny earned
an apple a day keeps the doctor away
don't tempt fate
don't paint the devil on the wall
mind your manners
don't put all your eggs in one basket
patience is a virtue
look out for number one
 o4
Msg: 338
Posted: 8/30/2008 10:35:42 AM
I said it in the other thread, I'll say it here too.

She's been only in the picture for about one day and already many here have made up their minds about her. That's fairly shallow and/or prejudiced. And many of the fish have said that it's important to think and consider and gather data before speaking. I get it, "do as I say, but not as I do".
 motownmaniax
Msg: 339
Posted: 8/30/2008 10:52:14 AM
Absolutely, o4, she needs to be given a fair shake. She can show her mettle in the months before the election, but she better move quickly.

A lot of negative stories have come out about her since the pick, so here's an interesting one that may go to the heart of what is many people's main issue, the cost of energy. She has a very public stance against the powerful oil lobby in Alaska.

The drill-down on Sarah Palin
John McCain's running mate supports drilling but she has also tangled with Big Oil.

Excerpt...

By Telis Demos, writer-reporter

(Fortune) -- Within hours of Senator John McCain picking Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate, the talking heads of CNBC had coined a new term: "Palinomics." In a nutshell, the doctrine stands for expanding the search for domestic oil and gas as a solution to the energy crisis.

But while Palin might be a proponent of more drilling in Alaska, she's hardly a patsy of the oil industry. One theme at the Democratic convention was Republicans' cozy relationship with Big Oil. As Al Gore put it Thursday night, the industry has been "drilling [the GOP] for everything it's worth." But whatever you think of such a statement, it would be hard to say that about Sarah Palin.

Palin reached the Alaska statehouse in 2006 after trouncing incumbent governor Frank Murkowski, patriarch of one of Alaska's powerful political families, in the Republican primary. The former high-school basketball star, beauty queen, commercial fisherman, and mayor of Wasilla (population 8,471) ran on one big issue: Exploiting her state's billions of dollars worth of natural gas on Alaska's terms, not on the oil companies' terms.

For years, Alaskans have dreamed of the revenue bounty promised by the state's natural gas resources. But until recently, prices were too low to make shipping natural gas to the lower 48 states profitable. Murkowski had negotiated a deal with the Big Three oil companies of Alaska - BP (BP), ExxonMobil (XOM, Fortune 500), and ConocoPhillips (COP, Fortune 500), which hold long-term North Slope leases - to finance and build a pipeline to get the 235 trillion cubic feet of natural gas estimated to be buried under the North Slope to market. The deal guaranteed a tax cut for the oil companies, and promised that Alaska wouldn't change those rates for decades.

But when Murkowski brought the proposal to the Alaska statehouse, it was rejected as a sweetheart deal for the oil companies. Several of the governor's negotiators were later indicted, accused of making back-room deals with the industry. Voters subsequently booted Murkowski from office. You don't mess with revenues from oil and gas in Alaska, because it goes into Alaska's Permanent Fund, which sends a check to each resident every year.

Once in office, Palin took an aggressive stance toward the oil companies. Her nickname from high-school basketball, "Sarah Barracuda," was resurrected in the press. Early in her term, she shocked oil lobbyists when she was so bold as to not show up when Exxon CEO Rex Tillerson came to Juneau to meet with her. Palin, after scrapping Murkowski's deal, would not give Big Oil the terms they wanted, yet insisted that the companies still had an obligation under their lease to deliver gas to whatever pipeline Alaska built. She invited the oil companies to place open bids to build a pipeline, but they refused. A bid by TransCanada, North America's largest pipeline builder, was approved by the legislature in August.....

Full story: http://money.cnn.com/2008/08/29/news/newsmakers/palin_oil.fortune/index.htm?section=money_latest
(apologies if this story has already been cited in here)

Obama/Biden in 2008!
 Joeld49
Msg: 340
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 10:52:45 AM

with all due respect... Chaney and Bush are on their way out the door. Why are we bringing them up again?

Lets get to tomorrows news, the future.

Those who live in the past will never have a future.

I think the reason why Bush and Cheney are being brought up is to show that when nationalism is concerned, no one can really tell what a frenzied voting public is capable of.

It took EIGHT YEARS for the American public to wake up to the fact that the Bush administration was a total disaster in spite of the fact that the writing was on the wall before he was elected.

I remember the first time he was elected, the Western world was amazed that the American public could elect someone who, in spite of the position he was born into, had achieved nothing - He was a mediocre student, a mediocre Governor, failure as a businessman, a "former" alcoholic and never had the interest to travel/explore/learn about other cultures ....... And then to be elected a second time - What else can be said.

I remember having on-line discussions with Americans before Bush was elected and then re-elected - some of their statements for reasons they supported him where so irrational it was almost impossible to have a sane discussion with them. Now I see these same type of frenzied statements coming up again re one candidate or the other. I only hope you guys make a better choice this time, as your last selection affected the U.S. and the rest of the world in a VERY negative way
 Mr Gummischuh
Msg: 341
Posted: 8/30/2008 10:54:26 AM
I think the real issue these men have with the Palin pick is that she is a female. They will create an issue, whether justified or not in an effort to keep women in the place they think they should be in..... barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen .

Just had to throw that out to stir the pot .
 Barredbard
Msg: 342
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 11:01:14 AM
Oh, I suppose it is a bad thing that 'the fish' have already prejudged Palin before she set foot on the boat. And the fish should know better than to swim in the direction that their fins are pointing. This is coming from the same league of extraordinary gentlemen who incessantly criticize Obama for being a newcomer in the scene. The same sanctimonious rabble that questions Obama's credentials because they are 'mysterious.' His loyalties. His ethnicity. His name. His bowel movements. His dietary etiquettes. This is a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black. No pun intended, of course...
 Kaos86
Msg: 343
Posted: 8/30/2008 11:21:16 AM

With Palin you have an unknown, with minimal experience, and numerous questionable issues surrounding her. I'm not saying she's bad, I'm saying there is too much unknown about her for her to be sitting a heartbeat away from the presidency of the United States of America.

Substitute Obama's name for Palin and that statement reads exactly the same.
 o4
Msg: 344
Posted: 8/30/2008 11:27:03 AM
This is a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black. No pun intended, of course...
I'm glad we can share a chuckle in these threads too, even with the fence running politically between us.

I just think there's a huge difference between the White House slot and the Vice-Presidency, and McCain looks to be in good enough health to me.....
Also to me, 150 (+/-) days in Washington and then going for the #1 seat is wreckless at best. While on the other hand, making room for a really smart new-comer who seems to have done a good job in a tough slot of both working to take on political crime and find ways to both protect Alaska's environment while also allowing the tapping of the energy resources shows she's got the brass ones and the creativity to potentially be a good second seat (potentially because not all the story is in yet on her I'm sure, but at this early juncture so far anyway), which is sometimes also a future "#1 in training".

If instead the ticket were Biden-Obama instead of Obama-Biden, I'd have very little to say on the 'experience in Washington issue'. Well, McCain-Pilan is much more like Biden-Obama than the other way around. The dems just lined them up out of order is all.
 o4
Msg: 346
Posted: 8/30/2008 11:52:32 AM

when it comes to REAL expertise, that she SHOULD have it, at this point in her political career.

Kicked Exxon's butt. Kicked the butts of corrupt fellow politicians, many in her own party. Protected Polar Bears. And is from a family with real budgets and is doing fine within those budgets. I call THAT expertise!
Let's see what else she also has to offer too! But it takes open minds to be willing to review and maybe even accept the new...
 mjk21258
Msg: 347
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 12:02:35 PM
Mr Gummischuh on 8/30/2008 126 PM
Subject: It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Message: I think the real issue these men have with the Palin pick is that she is a female. They will create an issue, whether justified or not in an effort to keep women in the place they think they should be in..... barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen .

Just had to throw that out to stir the pot .

Stir the pot? Come on, many of us voted for Hillary in the primaries and would have voted for her in November had she gotten the nomination. So why would Sarah Palin being a female have anything to do with this?

Very weak attempt at stirring the pot, my friend.
 Mr Gummischuh
Msg: 348
Posted: 8/30/2008 12:14:32 PM
When I look at and listen to Hillary speak, I don't see a woman. She comes across more like a man than a woman to me. Maybe that is why I can't stand her. I want to the see and her a woman speaking but see a woman sounding and coming across like a man. Furthermore, I wasn't serious with the barefoot and pregnant comment.... . Even though a lot of men still think that way I think.
 Kaos86
Msg: 349
Posted: 8/30/2008 12:14:56 PM
Obama has voted party line on every occasion.
This myth about him changing things is pure Dem. fantasy.

Obama was unknown when he started his run. He has no froeign policy experience. He has questionable contacts. The only difference between him and Palin is her fearlessness in taking on corruption... even in her own party.
Palin represents real change and unlike Obama she has the record to back it up.
 Barredbard
Msg: 350
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 12:15:48 PM
Frankly, experience seems to be worth its weight in boiled urine after these last eight years. George Bush Sr. was himself president of the US. Jeb Bush was the governor of Florida. George W. Bush was the one-time governor of Texas. A veritable family of aristocrats like in merry olde England; they were literally choking on experience. You would think if experience was really worth anything, it would have been reflected in the current administration's dispositions. But mais non. We have squandered both the good will we gained after September 11 and the money in the coffers. Our economy seems to be on the verge of a recession, the war in Iraq is essentially a morbid joke and our dependence on foreign oil (little suprise there) seems to be on the rise. So if a man appears on the scene that appears to have an intellect and has mounted a highly efficient campaign from relative mediocrity, I will prick my ears. Obama, despite my earlier reservations, has proved to be such a man. McCain is not. Of course, as a moderate I initially liked McCain. But in order to consolidate the conservatives behind him, he had to sacrifice those perspectives that made him unique. More's the pity.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]