Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 351
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah PalinPage 15 of 104    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
I'll post an opinion - seems like everybody else has. I've never seen a thread grow so quickly.

I think this was a brilliant pick. Personally, I think she's a loon: Creationism; Buchanan supporter; the fact that everyone I would view as on the loonie right is ecstatic.

But I've realized that US politics has nothing to do with policy. I saw a post here from a Hillary supporter who has gone to the other side - she said the one position she disagreed strongly with Hillary on was Universal Health Care. That's like saying you really like Churchill, but didn't like his whole "Need to defeat the Nazis" thing.

Many voters vote on policy, maybe most. But swing voters don't seem to care. And Sarah Palin looks great, sounds great, has a record of cleaning up corruption.

It also gets inexperience into the debate, which is what the Republicans have been trying to do all along. McCain hit a home run with this, and I think it may win him the election.
 o4
Msg: 352
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 8/30/2008 12:22:24 PM
their really is no comparison between the VP picks ,Bidens foreign policy experience,
against the governor of Alaska

back on the 'experience' arguements.......
but let's just flip it around and look at the #1 seats rather than the co-pilots:

their (sic) really is no comparison between the Presidential picks, McCain's any subject experience, against a 150 day Senator
 tireofbeinglonely2
Msg: 353
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 12:28:47 PM
ok I was prob the one you claim would do his husband.. but in fact I said he was so hot that I would have had 5 babies with him too. Regardless he is still a hottie. I am happy for her.

On the other hand.. lets compare the Obama experience to the Palin experience this will be fun.

Obama experience 148 days of actually being in the senate.. Most of the time only voting present as to not muss his record of having any liberal over the top values.

Palin 12 consecutive years serving and governing the Alaska comunities as Concil woman, Mayor and currently Govenor. She has been noted as taking on her own partys coruption which is great cause she is not choosing sides or turning a blind eye. She has taken on "big Oil" and aquired a surplus which she put back in the hands of the people of Wasilla. She has a 80 percent aproval rating from the people of alaska. They love her.
 exodusi1
Msg: 354
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP schtick is Sarah Pain
Posted: 8/30/2008 12:34:58 PM
I don't think it matters. . .

She is far to consrvative to appeal to moderates. I don't care what she looks like, she isn't my type. That aside, she is to fire up the base. . . But McCain made a critical error, if that is his intent. . . The base always votes republican. . . Perhaps it is to counter any effect Barr has on the election? But, my guess is that while Barr is doing well now, election day will prove neocons will not vote to allow Obama and moderate policies to be restored.

All of the spin and hyperbole that is common from the right, labeling Obama as a, egads, Liberal, or his name or religion, etc. Fear is a motivator for their side.

I don't like the neocon mentality or ignorance, but I don't "fear" them for the most part. Perhaps I should, given their propensity for war.

But this insane fear and hatred for a party, that basically wants to help those who suffer most, it escapes me. . . Christian values are a liberal cause, not a conservative one. . . Yet the most zealous seem to fall into this trap, such as Palin herself. . .

Obama doesn't spread lies and fear, he is spreading hope and passion. . . I am proud to be a small part of this change in American Politics.
 Barredbard
Msg: 355
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 12:36:49 PM
LOL. Great analogy with Winston Churchill, halftime....
 Mr Gummischuh
Msg: 356
Posted: 8/30/2008 12:36:53 PM
Reality is that whether it's Obama/Biden or McCain/Palin, neither lineup can do anything on their own. The President and his side kick are only figure heads. Anything they do has to go through the House and Senate and possibly the courts just to name a few. Experience means nothing to me. We have had experienced after experienced politicians and what has that gotten us? Maybe it's time for an inexperienced politician to shake things up a bit.
 mungojoe
Msg: 357
Posted: 8/30/2008 12:40:49 PM

Rarely ever do members of the opposite party ever really listen to what the other has to say..we just dance around, desperately looking for a chance to point out fallacy or error without paying the slightest bit of attention to the rest of the post..We all are so terrified to ever admit that we were wrong, even to ourselves, that we remain stubborn even on trivial crap..Yet we hang in the there, sometimes simply to support our hommies, the ones we think "need" us to keep them from being eaten alive by the other side. Or maybe we cling to hope that we will persuade one who is on the fence. But do we? Would you listen to a bunch of bickering a$$es, like us, if you were searching for answers? I think not.

Welcome to the world of US politics.

It hasn't been about the "job" for almost 30 years and you can thank the Republican crowd that began to come to influence with the Reagan campaign of '80 for it.

Sure, there has always been "mud slinging", it happens in politics everywhere but the Republican campaigns starting in '80 (and escalating from there), and coming to full force by '88, became all about "style over substance" as the main strategy.
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 358
Posted: 8/30/2008 1:01:03 PM

What are yout thoughts on Sarah Palin's PRO-LIFE stance?

First of all, I'd like to know your source on the 90% of people aborting babies they find out have a risk of DOWN's. (Incidentally, that test is performed in the first trimester).

My thoughts on Palin's pro life stance--for someone to be so pro life that they would see someone endure a pregnancy and the remainder of the mother's life raising a child that was the product of rape or incest, that someone has to be pretty closed minded. I'm also guessing she had such a charmed life that rape and incest have never darkened her doorstep.
 mjk21258
Msg: 359
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 1:42:57 PM
What are yout thoughts on Sarah Palin's PRO-LIFE stance?

I am pro-choice and while I am a man, I think a woman should be able to make those choices herself, hopefully with some input from the fetus's father. I don't think the government should be telling women what to do with their bodies.

Now if I was presented with a circumstance such as Sarah Palin's, I too would have chose to have the child. Oh and btw my daughter was conceived out of wedlock, her mother and I decided to marry and have the child, abortion was never even considered, but atleast no one was telling us it wasn't an option.
 exodusi1
Msg: 360
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 1:58:18 PM
Slowride. . . Even I didn't catch that one. . . Bravo my friend, bravo. . .

Ready for something fun? How about something true? The average college graduate earns MORE than one million dollars MORE over his/her lifetime than a non-college graduate. So, what does your common sense tell you about that?

thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 361
Posted: 8/30/2008 2:07:00 PM
The statistics of educated people supporting obama are significant. The "cultural" divide, in the end, comes down to an issue of style much more than substance. The fact that obama taught constitutional law and repeatedly alludes to complex ideals makes grad school types and lawyers love him, while it makes pragmatists (not always uneducated) say, please get to the point. Obamas main contributions come from university employees, law firm employees and some businesses, whereas Mccain has no law firms or universities in his top 10, though he does have financial contributors such as jp morgan and goldman sachs (who have also contributed in obamas top ten).

Obama's style, which many mccain/palin supporters will see as wishy washy or non-commital resonate the most with lawyers and academics. While mccain's style (and this new night mare, palin) the maverick type who will, for instance, not show up to meet with the oil execs at all, just as mccain will stand up in a pow hearing and leave the room if he disagrees with something, these actions are interpreted as "strong" by people who prefer to see the world as simple, or certainly, not as complex as "crybaby" academics, environmental scientists, lawyers, treaties, diplomats will have you believe it is. They prefer to rely on "common sense" not a multi-point of view perspective, because decisions become much more difficult the more debate is entertained.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 362
First polls not good for Palin
Posted: 8/30/2008 2:32:00 PM
Slowride,

Interesting numbers. I have to think palin's confidence nubers will fluctuate a lot in the next two months, as she is relatively unknown.

Bidens will probably stay where they are, because he is quite well known. (It also explains why they are high).

Also, I'm not surprised that more independent men are accepting of palin. Libertarian/independents who are likely to vote barr or nader are a target for mccain as far as winning votes. Men in these groups will not be bothered by the strong pro_life stance and will like the wilderness/small town/no gun control aspect of palin. They are also a key undecided demo. Not just women and "puma"s.

I am not moved by the argument that redwine keeps making that we don't know obama. The press has crawled up his @ss and out his nose and the best dirt anyone has found has been about people loosely associated to him being radical many years before they'd met, or similar.

The first bump we hear about palin is that SHE abused he measley little drop of power with inappropriate firings.

And as for the clintons abusing power...you guys may not know this, but the clintons are not running this time :)
 Brizo
Msg: 363
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 2:50:51 PM
She is no stranger to me....I've been sending her office protest email for years...she's permitted wolves to be hunted from helicopters, amid rumors of taking big bucks from Safari Club International and other pro hunting lobbyists...

And let's get one thing straight from the beginning, before I get pegged a namby pamby bambi lover. I'm pro hunting for food and pro weapons. However, I oppose sport hunting, particularly with semi autos. It's not very "sporting" at all. And no one is going to eat a wolf.

and I'll just quote the LA Times now.....

In her two years in office, Palin has given every indication that she intends to continue stocking the larder. She favors the construction of one of the world's largest mining complexes at the headwaters of Bristol Bay, home to the world's largest sockeye salmon fishery. Palin opposes greater protections for beluga whales found in the Cook Inlet, where oil and gas drilling and other development is proposed. And unlike her running mate, Palin favors drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, a recurring issue of debate during the Bush administration.

and this:

She has stood up to the federal government, a politically popular posture in Alaska. In May, the state gave notice that it would sue the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to prevent the inclusion of the polar bear on the endangered species list as "threatened" as a consequence of shrinking Arctic ice caused by global warming.

Such a listing could be used to block drilling in the Arctic, which Palin supports.

Palin told federal officials that the state did a "comprehensive review" of the science and found no reason to support a listing. But an internal e-mail message from the head of the state Department of Fish and Game's marine mammals program and two other staff biologists agreed with the Department of Interior's conclusions that the science justified the listing. Palin did not publicly release the state's report.

"The governor's decision was clearly based on politics, not on science, and was primarily designed to protect the oil and gas industry stampede into the Arctic Ocean," said Steiner, the University of Alaska marine biologist.

By Julie Cart, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
August 30, 2008

if her stances of drumming up state money over conserving her state's natural treasures continue to the White House, we're in for serious trouble.....
 PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 364
Posted: 8/30/2008 3:14:34 PM

Obama has voted party line on every occasion.
This myth about him changing things is pure Dem. fantasy.

Obama was unknown when he started his run. He has no froeign policy experience. He has questionable contacts. The only difference between him and Palin is her fearlessness in taking on corruption... even in her own party.
Palin represents real change and unlike Obama she has the record to back it up.

The above is exactly what Obama, camp & Democrats fear the most right now. That the Palin pick will now override the pomp and frills of the DNC in Co and Obama didn't receive the equiv. of the 28 pt bump that Kennedy did. After all, this entire set-up by the Dems has been to try and mimic the excitement of the Kennedy campaign/years.

But.... the dark horse came to be, with actual executive experience to her credit and the oratory skills to match and surpass even the Obama.

Common sense states that the Democrats are aghast at what to do now. First thing was an insult to Palin which Obama apologized for and termed quote 'a hair trigger' response unquote. Whereas when Biden was selected, there was no negativity from the McCain camp at all.

I'm like Oprah felt for the DNC Obamania... well... it's not exactly as she stated...since she said it was the best thing ever to happen to her..in her life.. I mean I consider family and friends the best things to happen in my life... however, the choice of Palin is definitely an uplift and total energizing force.

Many have and will classify her as a 'neocon'. Which is what I've been called here time and time and time again. Maybe it will become PCish to be a Neoconservative now.

McCain/Palin!
 darjeeling
Msg: 365
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP pick is................................
Posted: 8/30/2008 3:18:06 PM

"As for that V.P. talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the V.P. does every day?

Well, on the face of that statement alone, she gets my nod as a wise choice for McCain's VP pick (while perhaps simultaneously disqualifying herself?)* ... because really, its a damn good question.

What exactly does a Replublican VP actually devote himself to accomplishing most days?

If we go by the last eight years, the job description would seem to indicate the following duties:

1. Working closely with lobbying interests, in closed commissions, in drafting American energy policy, and addressing other critical domestic agenda, like: the privatization of Social Security, enabling corprate clients in exporting American jobs, enhancing corporate loopholes for tax avoidance while simultaneously promoting Wealthfare for the people that really matter, one's friends and donors.

Sounds like a simple matter, but there is really a lot to do, if on takes into account the sheer number of lobbyists one is required to meet with, and skirting press attention while doing so, which makes it doubly hard.

2. Working closely among those with blatantly vested interests in 'ginning up' Mideastern wars and fomenting of other global tensions in the shaping of American foreign policy.

Again, this is much harder than it sounds, in that one spends considerable time in forming commisions with policy wonks and PR firms in drafting how the particular war will be both unveiled and launched, and there are any number of items on the daily 'to do list', like:

1. Set up blue star committee (WHIG) to orchestrate the plan and delegate the various responsibilities like launching the initial propaganda campaign, the creation of official dissident organizations like the Iraqi National Congress, getting compliant 'journalists' on board, the setting up of rump units within the Pentagon and 'intelligence' agencies themselves. Deciding the overall plan, establishing the rational and pretext, and the date for 'product launch', you don't do it in August, but in September.

As you can see there is a whole hell of a lot to do behind the scenes; working with think tanks that draft the policy papers, to meetings with AIPAC, JINSA, WINEP, The Hertage Foundation, and AEI; engineering the press 'leaks', brow beating the CIA, castigating the UN, and forming contingency plans for dealing with the inevietable political rivals like Joe Wilson and uppity Generals; before dealing with the public appearances and responsibilities of the VP, not to mention the boilerplate political work one does as VP of sidelining the opposition and their policies.

So, its no wonder that Sarah Palin actually asks the question; which, to her credit, sort of does call into question of her suitability for the position, while simultaneously revealing McCain's political savy in drafting her.

So, does Sarah Palin have the right stuff to be the VP?

On the face of it, as a principalled person from all reports, she seems singularly unsuited to operate with the Machievellian intent and corrupt dedication of****Cheney as she does seem to embrace the quaint notion that public officials actually work for all of the people. That quaint notion however does not bode well for a VP as the role is entirely and completely intended to be one of a staunchly partisan manipulator and political enforcer. To her credit she seems unsuiatble to that role.

So, on the domestic side of the agenda, being a principalled fiscal conservative runs counter to the overall aims of the GOP and one could only hope that she might confront them all on the sheer idiocy of Republican economic policy ... deficits do matter Mr Bush and Mr Cheney, but I sort of doubt she would be allowed to do that if John McCain intends to keep his word. From what I've heard so far I wish she were calling the economic shots but that is not the way this works.

On international relations and foreign affairs she has already signed onto the rhetoric of the GOP but who knows how deep that really might run ... both parties are now completely infiltrated by neoconservative policy wonks and coopted by both AIPAC and the Military Industrial Private Contractor Congressional Complex ... that I don't know if we might ever really see a change in our lifetimes.

Obama and Biden are nearly as bad ... as Obama has made it a point to kiss AIPAC's ass, and Biden proudly proclaims himself a Zionist ... and both parties are wrong, wrong, and wrong, about Iran, Putin, Georgia, Russia, and South Ossetia.

The biggest 'change' we could make to alter the American trajectory would be to 'sideline' and 'isolate' all three entities that are causing so much internal distortion and global calamity ... the neocon Zionists, AIPAC, and Israel itself, but the last public figure to do that in any significant way was George Herbert Walker Bush back in 92, which ultimately cost him losing the Presidency.

As a pragmatist he was absolutely correct in confronting Israel; and Sarah Palin seems to operate on pragmatism as well ... and in certain ways I think the only party truly capable of politically challenging both the Military Profit Complex and Israel is the GOP ... if the notion ever struck them to do so ... and with Sarah Palin's son on the front lines in Iraq ... I suppose it might eventually come to be ... if she is truly as smart and principalled as she seems to be ... but I wouldn't place bets or gamble on it.

Overall, I think Obama's statement about her is correct ... She is a compelling person. I suppose we will need to wait to see if she can actually retain her intergrity, and I would not underestimate her. Joe Biden will need to tread carefully which sort of nullifies his strength in the debates and his attack dog role, but again we will need to wait and see how Palin plays it.

IMHO I happen to think McCain made an excellent choice in drafting her as his VP running mate, but it doesn't alter my choice or voting strategy.

caw
 exodusi1
Msg: 366
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 3:25:42 PM
We don't hate people like you, we feel sorry for you. You vote against you own self interest each time, but we still seek to improve YOUR standard of living.

You tend to be rude, that is your choice. . . So don't be surprised when people respond back with equal vitality. Slowride is one if the brightest individuals on here, I've been impressed on a number of occasions with his insight.

Teaching is a difficult profession. . . No one goes into it expecting to get rich. . . The hours are long, the pay isn't and it is often thankless. . . Instead of ridiculing your neighbors, you should thank them for going so far into debt to help educate our children. . . Thatwould be compassionate and common sense!
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 368
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 4:04:54 PM
I'm voting for this guy for prez ---->

And this guy for VP ---->

Can't go wrong with this ticket.
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 369
Posted: 8/30/2008 4:06:37 PM
There is a difference between Sarah Palin's inexperience and Obama's.

Obama has graduated from top schools and taught constitutional law at another prestigious school. He has formed laws and been given the authority by the people of his state to vote on laws. He has actually worked with and knows how the people in Congress and the Senate work and knows who they are....they are the ones who prompted him to run for office. He has been in high end politics for at least seven years.

Sarah Palin is by her own words "a hockey mom" who was a PTA member and got luckily voted into a city council office. She then ran for and won a mayoral race. All of the experience she had before she was elected governor by not a very big margin has been small town. Hell, I could go into my city offices and cut spending today too if they let me. Would that qualify me for VP?

The thing that worries me is that while she may not be running for the presidential office, she may very well get it. I wonder if she's even thought about what the heck she would do if left standing there with the fate of our country in her hands. A heartbeat might not seem like much today, but wait till the day it changes her from a ticket ornament to the Commander in Chief of a military in crisis. And the person in charge of our education, taxes, environment, and our women's right to choose. Her position on all of these things, and the very real possibility that she could be the HBIC, frightens me more than Obama's questionable acquaintances ever could.

I've heard that she is a very popular governor. 80% approval rating. Bush was an extremely popular governor too.
 Kaos86
Msg: 370
Posted: 8/30/2008 4:20:42 PM

I imagine Rush Limbaugh is having kittens over this.

Rush Limbaugh actually was one of the first to suggest the Alaskan Governor.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 371
Posted: 8/30/2008 4:20:57 PM

(And that mouthy wife of his, doesn't know her place.) That bothers me too.

Ah a scathing indictment of womens' right. Guess you drank the koolaid on the "keep 'em barefoot 'n pregnant" thing. How sad. Don't 'cha just hate it when women do as well as the men folk at pretty much anything? I'll bet it bothers you.

I want a man of integrity. (as much as possible) Not a man that would throw his grandmother and his preacher under the bus.

And I'll bet McCain measured up for you when he abandoned his wife while she was undergoing cancer treatment and left her for a rich hottie? Oh yeah. Integrity plus on that score.

But, I feel McCain wont be afraid of hurting anyone's feelings when the tough part of the job starts.

You're right. He hurt his first wife's feelings and I'll bet he didn't mind it a bit.

you make this bantering job so easy

Of course it's easy when you make no sense.

I wonder who did the vetting on this one.

I think it was that "Brownie guy" from FEMA. He's still doing a great job.

Molly didn't want to shoot it and made Wooten shoot it which violated state law because it was her permit.

3 years later, they remembered the incident when there was a custody dispute between Wooten and Molly.

Yes indeed. These are the heady issues Palin has had to deal with during her tenure. I'm sure even the moose was relieved. This sounds like something out of Gomer Pyle episode. Banal to the max.

Why would Palin leave the scene if she thought her sister could be killed?
Why didn't she call 911 if she thought her sister could be killed?

She sure can get the job done can't she LOL. Sounds like the incarnation of Rove or Cheney. Ooohhhh she's another winner drudged up by the GOP in a last ditch effort to "do anything, even if it's wrong". This is seriously bad drama.

I think McCain would have made a better choice picking MICHEAL Palin, frankly.

He noticed at the last minute the Mr. P didn't have a vagina. So he couldn't pass the physical.

I think the only purpose for her pick as VP is to shore up the far-right wing base. Her views are pretty extreme, even compared to McCain's.

It's fairly obvious that a hard core fundamentalists will love Palin. She hates the thought of evolution being taught in school. Another science anti-christ. Good luck with that one. It was also a lame attempt to woo the disgruntled Hillary supporters. Only problem is that Palin is against everything Hillary ever stood for. One really has to wonder who's scripting this thing for McCain. Wow. Are they ever out of touch. I must say it's rather amusing to watch.

I found it rather ironic that the Dobson prayer thing for rain in Denver never materialized (the rain that is) but it looks like Gustav is going to definitely rain on McCain's convention. How ironic is that LMAO. I guess even god knew better. Way too funny.

we do not know Barack Hussein Obama.

Who's "we". You choose not to know him but you're wasting that talking point here. It's gotten as silly as all the other talking points you come up with. All bluster and no substance. But that defines the republican party these days doesn't it.

We know all about that smell.

What you're smelling is the Bush legacy and it ain't roses LMAO. Yes yes yes. All that cowboy Texas savvy brought us Bush. How wonderful is that. Puke.

Shes barely said hello. I think alls shes done yet is introduce herself and all hell has broke lose.

And that's enough for you to accept her as a possible president of the US if anything happens to McCain. Texas. Please do us all a favor and keep out of politics. You'll just muck it up again.

I kinda feel sorry for Palin. She's gonna get creamed.

Of course she will. She's a patsy. But that was the plan all along. McCain knows full well he won't win. But now he can blame it on a novice.

he never checked her background, except maybe her ass,

That's McCain's M.O. He only deals with beauty queens. You see a pattern emerging here? LOL.

This sentence is so wrong in so many ways, dude.

How the hell do you know? Dude? Did McCain have a conference call with you and Palin?

dont you see we are counter bantering with the same ol thing??

Who's "we"? All YOU'RE doing, in response to pretty much everything is "no, no no". Nothing to back it up but all the cutesy Texas "darlin' and y'all".

McCain has that crystal ball thing goin' on .... He knows who she is.

Spare me. These are thinking adults you're talking to. What do you think this is? Bible school? You're not talking to people who buy into the adam and eve and talking snakes BS which, by the way, Palin wholeheartedly supports.

Chaney and Bush are on their way out the door. Why are we bringing them up again?

Duhhh. You didn't get the memo did you. McCain is so far up Bush's butt and has been with over a 90% support of Bush in his voting record, it's BUSH 3. Get it? Republicans must trutly believe everyone else in the world has "stupid" tattooed on their foreheads.

you think a certain way no matter what facts come to light.

Which is exactly why it's pointless discussing anything further with her. It's like trying to nail jello to a wall. There's just no point in it.

She's been only in the picture for about one day and already many here have made up their minds about her. That's fairly shallow and/or prejudiced.

What a coincidence. That's about as long as McCain has known her. Talk about shallow. Give me a break.

Oh, I suppose it is a bad thing that 'the fish' have already prejudged Palin before she set foot on the boat.

That Palin "fish" is far too small and should have been thrown back in the water.

Carly Fiorina Is on McCain committee because? Just a babe? McCain thinks she is stupid?

But he didn't choose her did he. He chose the smiley face with the pony tail. Go figure. I guess Carly didn't quite measure up in the beauty department.

This is great... A fighter pilot surrounded by babe's. ... I Love it.....

We're so happy you're amused. But it's time to put down the comic books. This is real life we're dealing with.

Obama supporters reaction to Sarah Palin is proof of their attitude towards women.....

No. It's proof of their attitude toward incompetence.

America is going to love her.

Wishful thinking pal. Wishful thinking.

I am not moved by the argument that redwine keeps making that we don't know obama

No one with a brain is moved by that rubbish. For people like that, it's just something to say when there's nothing to say. It's just like the "yeah, just like the Clintons, huh" nonsense.

He broke his leg cutting the grass.

Brilliance was never meant for menial tasks. We have republicans for that (they're good with tools 'n stuff.

Instead of ridiculing your neighbors, you should thank them for going so far into debt to help educate our children. . . Thatwould be compassionate and common sense!

Which is in short supply these days. Does that mean that the compassionate conservative is the oxymoron of the century? I guess so. All talk. No action.

Are we simply in denial about that, or what?

One of us sure is and it ain't us.
 jed456
Msg: 372
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 5:06:18 PM
Seems like she is getting a great endorsement.

Not Every Woman Supports Women's Rights

August 29, 2008

Statement of NOW PAC Chair Kim Gandy on the Selection of Sarah Palin as John McCain's Vice Presidential Pick

Sen. John McCain's choice of Alaska governor Sarah Palin as his running mate is a cynical effort to appeal to disappointed Hillary Clinton voters and get them to vote, ultimately, against their own self-interest.

Gov. Palin may be the second woman vice-presidential candidate on a major party ticket, but she is not the right woman. Sadly, she is a woman who opposes women's rights, just like John McCain.

The fact that Palin is a mother of five who has a 4-month-old baby, a woman who is juggling work and family responsibilities, will speak to many women. But will Palin speak FOR women? Based on her record and her stated positions, the answer is clearly No.

In a gubernatorial debate, Palin stated emphatically that her opposition to abortion was so great, so total, that even if her teenage daughter was impregnated by a rapist, she would "choose life" -- meaning apparently that she would not permit her daughter to have an abortion.

Palin also had to withdraw her appointment of a top public safety commissioner who had been reprimanded for sexual harassment, although Palin had been warned about his background through letters by the sexual harassment complainant.

What McCain does not understand is that women supported Hillary Clinton not just because she was a woman, but because she was a champion on their issues. They will surely not find Sarah Palin to be an advocate for women.

Sen. Joe Biden is the VP candidate who appeals to women, with his authorship and championing of landmark domestic violence legislation, support for pay equity, and advocacy for women around the world.

Finally, as the chair of NOW's Political Action Committee, I am frequently asked whether NOW supports women candidates just because they are women. This gives me an opportunity to once again answer that question with an emphatic 'No.' We recognize the importance of having women's rights supporters at every level but, like Sarah Palin, not every woman supports women's rights.
 jed456
Msg: 373
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 5:11:57 PM

In an interview last month, she even let slip that she did not think the job of vice-president was very meaningful. "As for that VP talk all the time, I'll tell you, I still can't answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day," she told CNBC. "I'm used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration."

I feel safe if McCain possibly croaks a person with such vast experience will be leader of the free world.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 374
Posted: 8/30/2008 5:28:46 PM
The sad part is that she probably doesn't get the fact that the audience is laughing AT her and not WITH her.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 375
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 5:34:07 PM
And you wonder why McCain never answerd any of your letters...
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]