Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SwampHunter
Msg: 26
It looks like McCain's VP pick is................................Page 2 of 104    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
Hey she's a woman! We were supposed to vote for Hillary because she's a woman, and Obama because he's black, right?

Mark
 capegardengirl
Msg: 27
It looks like McCain's VP pick is................................
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:20:59 AM
No Swamp hunter...you dont get it...But you must watch Faux News and the local media ilk because they dont get it either
 cncgandolf
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:21:52 AM
The appeal to pissed off Hilary people and Libertarians and other 3rd parties and those who want Republican change are exactly the things that the head of her "Palin for VP" campaign posted as the reasons she should be selected.

What is questionable is whether the believers in the prior McCain campaign will buy this switch - or want it. Why will they believe that a person who votes 90% with Bush would suddenly change faces? And why would they believe the changed face?

See copy of posting from http://palinforvp.blogspot.com/ below:

I have been working to draft Gov. Palin as Vice President since February of 2007, and I can recount first hand how she has united divergent views among Republicans and is now even gaining Democratic support. The key is that she offers a combination of qualities that make her a hero to many, many different groups. For instance, two of our strongest bases of support have been social conservatives and libertarian republicans, who are normally at each other’s throats.

However, she offered both groups something that they desperately wanted without compromising any appeal to the other. The SoCons loved her pro-life, pro-family, and pro-gun positions, while the libertarians and fiscal conservatives cheered her on as she vetoed hundreds of millions of dollars of wasteful government spending. Getting those two groups to sing kum-ba-ya was enough of an accomplishment, but now it appears that a third group has found what it wants in Gov. Palin: McCainocrats.

For those Democrats who are considering abandoning the Obama ticket (primarily disillusioned Clinton supporters), Palin represents the final push into the Republican camp. Not only is she a woman (which, like it or not, is an issue for some voters), but she also puts a fresh, future-oriented face on the McCain campaign. By upending Alaska’s corrupt political class, Palin has actually produced the type of change that Barack Obama can only talk about; and her collar is far bluer than Joe Biden’s ever was. Furthermore, she is arguably the only candidate who has the necessary expertise to address the single most pressing issue in this election: gas prices. As Governor of Alaska, Chair of the Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission (America’s largest interstate organization), and a former Chair of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, Sarah Palin can run rings around almost anyone when it comes to oil.
 jelunc
Msg: 29
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:27:55 AM
The one thing that strikes me is that it seems an odd pick when there are so many who are worried about his age.
If he should be elected and pass during his term...
 cncgandolf
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:30:52 AM
"now let me ask you, if Sarah was a Steve, would YOU have predicted "a loss" for McCain?"

Yes, an Alaskan Governor who is more of a Libertarian than a Republican may not pull as many votes as the person alienates.

"how much do you know about Palin in the what, 30 minutes you knew she was the VP pick -"

1. Listened to McCain's reasons
2. googled her and read several pages, including http://palinforvp.blogspot.com/
3. "A woman who went from PTA..city council..governor.." She has no federal experience. She has no business experience. ... "McCain is trying to uncouple himself from Bush... to react to last night's 8 is enough."

With all due respect, kissing your new running mate during her acceptance is totally unprofessional.

Ah, now, she might pull the military vote with a son in Iraq.

She will lose the environmentalist vote with a commerical fisherman husband.
 Eric2008
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:32:00 AM
I grew up with conservative girls like her...Nothing special, a dime a dozen

Hardly, She was part of commission that brought down Republican Party Chairman for corruption.When asked about the death penalty she said if they kill a child hang'em up.
The so called corruption she is accused of is by a FORMER Public Safety Commissioner she fired for not doing his job.He accused her of trying to get her ex-brother in-law fired from as a state trooper.When informed of the investigation,she said let them investigate I have nothing to hide.She has an approval rating of 80% in Alaska where the state's voters gave her a somewhat favorable rating to very favorable.
By the way the Republican party Chairman she helped bring down was found guilty of "conflict of interest" with the big OIL companies.Sounds like a good choice.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:35:10 AM
"When asked about the death penalty she said if they kill a child hang'em up."

And you can't figure out the hypocrisy of saying you are pro-life but of supporting killing people?

Hypocrites. Any who claim pro-life but take revenge with "hang'em up" or attacking another country and killing over 50,000 innocent women and children are total hypocrites.
 oddandy
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:36:16 AM

And you can't figure out the hypocrisy of saying you are pro-life but of supporting killing people?

We have to kill people in order to demonstrate to society that killing people is wrong!

oh wait....
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:42:30 AM
Palin is a very dangerous pick for Obama's chances. She undermines the argument that McCain is more of the same, especially when matched up with Biden who is just as much of an insider. She undermines the argument that McCain can't bring change. And she puts an ordinary, working mom one heart beat away from the presidency, which is a huge draw for a massive chunk of the moderates and independents that supported HRC.

Biden is now muzzled to a large extent. Considering how much the Obama camp has been accused of misogyny during the primaries, Biden can't be seen to be "beating up" or eviscerating a new mom with a young down syndrome infant to care for. It would inflame the PUMAs and other HRC crowds.

This was a brilliant strategic move by McCain. It cuts the legs out from under one of Obama's main messages, forces Biden to either be muzzled or be a liability and reaches out to the HRC disenfranchised supporters (of which there are still millions).
 o4
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:48:19 AM
Never heard of her before.....From what I'm reading up on her this morning though:

Sarah looks like a PERFECT PICK for the job!!!! This one may just super-confirm McCain being over the top! What a great surprise gift McCain might have just given us!

Now, let's hear what the lady has to say.........(but I'd bet it's going to be GOOD!)...
 cncgandolf
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:55:20 AM
"Barack Obama says that he believes the death penalty should be expanded to NON-murderers...

those found guilty of child rape

so your point?"

Since he does not claim to be pro-life than his stand is not hypocritical.

My point was the hypocrisy. You just proved that Obama is congruent.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:59:00 AM

This is the vice-presidency of the United States we're talking about, not an Alaska town PTA. Expect Biden to debate her hard. The office is too important to field softballs. She seems too inexperienced to me. McCain could've done much better.

You said that with a STRAIGHT face?

Who has LESS experience than she does? Could it be OBAMA?

The Obama has the ticket flipped with the experienced guy in the wrong slot. A strong President, and a lesser credentialed VP with great potential is a much better ticket.

Palin also has good energy cred. The conservative base of the Republican party just LOVES her. So in one fell swoop McCain has appealed to the conservative base of his party and disgruntled Hillary supporters all on one fell swoop.

I'll do more reading later, but my intial opinion is this is sheer brilliance!
 exodusi1
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:59:16 AM
It is the timing, wolves, not the pick. . . I don't know anything about her, but the attempt to steal the thunder is a dud for me. I guess they had to do it, but I doubt it will help.

Gustav may steal their thunder, then let's see Obama announce his all star Cabinet the day after McCain's Acceptance speech.

Wes Clark Sec of Defense. .
Bill Rischardson Sec of State. . .
 cncgandolf
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 10:03:12 AM
"Now, let's hear what the lady has to say"

As a woman professional with a great deal of respect for Geraldine Ferraro and Hilary Clinton I am absolutely and totally insulted that she has the audacity to think she has earned the right to stand beside them as if her credentials are comparable.

I have a great deal of admiration and respect for the role of motherhood. I've raised three awesome adults myself. I know what it takes. I was one of five daughters of a highly politically active stay at home mother. I have always been impressed with the job my mom did. She wasn't ready to run the country.

If anything happens to McCain, Palin is not ready to take over. She is no Hilary ... no way no how ... not even in the same league. Promote her from Governor to Congress and let her learn Federal for 4 years and then I'll change my mind - depending upon her track record in 4 years of federal.

In the whole of the Republican party federally experienced people McSame could not find one woman with anything close to the credentials of Hilary? Wow. What a shame.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 10:05:34 AM
"She took on Big Oil, taxed them and gave Alaska a surplus."

And claims more dependence on oil -even if American oil - by building another Alaskan pipeline is the solution to the crises.

How come Brazil figured out the solution was alternative fuel back in the 70s and the USA is still addicted to oil? Are we really that much dumber than Brazil?
 zabet
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 10:10:09 AM
Anthropological research suggests that cultures in which women have "the baby in the field and keep plowing" are cultures in which women have very low social status and power!

I wonder who takes care of her children while she works, and how well they're paid.
 exodusi1
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 10:20:48 AM
Not a chance. . . But thatks for playing, we have some lovely parting gifts for you. . .

I said, I don't know who she is yet, but it won't matter. Has nothing to do with her gender, has everything to do with the fact that this country can't afford four more years of the same!
 bikerguy45
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/29/2008 10:22:35 AM
i just finished listening to her acceptance speech..can't wait till i see her & Biden debate...Son in the military...fiscal conservative...cut taxes & gave money back to the citizens of her state...seems she actually understands she works for the citizens of Alaska !!!!!! wow...a novel idea !!!!!! a mom... a parent of a special needs child..commander in chief of a state national guard !!!!!!!! nra member..up at 3 a.m. to hunt moose....wow...also attractive !!!!! 20 years married to the same guy !!!!!! can't wait till the D.C. crowd slams her...i wonder how many of them have been responsible for the well being of an entire state !!!!! bikerguy
 Blacksheep
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/29/2008 10:26:58 AM
I cant stop myself from laughing at this one

all republicans to the top deck, man the life boats!!
The "Mavrick" has just scuttled the ship!

If this isnt the most blatent attempt at pandering to women I dont know what is.

Experience arguement out the window, which was the only thing the Rethuglicans barely had an arguement on. (false argument that it is anyway).

Stretch Palin across the rails and wait for the Biden freight train to come barreling down!

Im over here twitching in anticipation of the upcoming debates both presidential and VP.

Obama/Biden 08'

PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/29/2008 10:27:20 AM
Palin hit a grand slam homerun!!

That was the speech of speeches!! And, it was from the heart of a woman who has fought corruption in Alaska, gave back money from big oil to the People of Alaska...the list goes on and on. And, as one commentator said... being a Governor is executive workings. It is a different breed than being a Senator and is more closely related (in the inner workings) to being President...than serving in Congress...due to the landscape of governing.

Oh.. and, here's something many might not want to acknowledge. She asked America for their vote for her and McCain. I haven't heard that from the Obama/Biden ticket.

Palin will leave Biden in the dust during the VP debates... just as McCain will Obama. And, when will Obama ever do a townhall meeting with McCain. He keeps saying name the time and place.

McCain/Palin '08 and '12
 exodusi1
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 10:43:30 AM
"Hey Rocky, I've been nominated for VP, uhuck"

I am reserving judgment on her, but Purple, sorry, you lost all credibility for judging speeches already. . . I'll listen for myself on Youtube later.
 capegardengirl
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/29/2008 10:48:29 AM
eric..Shes a Daisy Duke in disguise..deferring to men, conservative woman..reactionary....hypocrite.....Big daddy and rich uncles in oil so she will let them off easy while she supports war and murder for Iraqis and antiabortion "prolife" rhetoric....Nail welfare mothers and those who cant afford to raise a child and want an abortion while she and her five children are supported financially by her husband....Shes never spent any considerable time fighting for womens rights like equal pay and sex descrimination, civil rights for people of color......Must be nice and cushy.....I left Texas to get away from 80% of women like her....Now shes got herself into a pickle wheres shes being investgated before shes even shown up with McSame here...How desperate he is....Of couse Repub men like her, she remains in her place and doesnt challenge the status quo....Boring!

Legal abortion is an important issue to the vast majority of women...not 3% BS..Thats male researchers talking
 flyguy51
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/29/2008 10:50:48 AM
Palin seems immediately likeable in terms of first impressions: comfortable at the podium, attractive, and, dare I say it-- perky. She has executive experience (mayor/governor), albeit relatively light. She's socially conservative, which is not my bag these days, though. And if, God forbid, McCain were to pass on, I'd be a bit scared.

One pundit on Fox News said that Palin has more executive experience than Obama; she neglected to mention that it is also more than McCain's. Sigh... Fox News is like the gift that keeps on giving...
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/29/2008 10:55:14 AM
Um, if this is enough to sway an undecided, then the undecided wasn't.

Look, she seems like a decent choice. Even the Republicans don't know much about her, so I'm viewing the hyperbole with skepticism. Everybody who is praising her to the skies was ready to praise regardless of the choice - if McCain had picked Rumsfeld or Cheney they'd be calling it the best possible choice.

I think the investigation looks like a tempest in a teapot from what I can see, and will help her in the public's mind if too much is made of it.

And give McCain credit - it may not have been as gutsy as choosing a woman in '84, but it's still a good thing to do.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]