Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 526
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah PalinPage 22 of 104    (8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48)
McCain and Palin had approx. 20,000 to show up at a campaign stop today.

So big cheering crowds are now suddenly a GOOD thing ?

I'm figuring free "exotic munchies" ( arugula, anyone ? ) , German beer, and a really hot band (Abba REUNITES ?) were somehow involved in this sudden turn around in McCain's popularity. According to some, there is no other way this could happen.

It's so sad to see that MCain's turned into such a rock star.

If Obama's "The One" , does this make McCain " The Two" ?
 Barredbard
Msg: 527
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 8/31/2008 6:55:13 PM
Quite amusing that anyone would be advocating for a debate between McCain and Obama. Chuckle. Suicide. David and Goliath all over again, except that this time David is armed with more than a sling-shot. McCain's persuasive skills are such that he couldn't convince me to use the latrine even if I were already pressed and chomping at the bit to go. Empty rhetorics? Yes. We've seen some of those. 'We shall conquer.' 'We shall not give in to the evildoers.' 'They are the axis of evil.' We shall not give in to the Islamo-fascists' (Merriam-Webster, Oxford Dictionary, take notes. A new word has been fashioned by our brilliant President). Hmm... quite a feat in discourse. One hopes McCain's feet are big enough to step into the rather large shoes of his predecessor. Of course, what makes an orator is clarity. Presentation. Facial expression. Sensitivity to the audience. Which is why Obama can travel abroad and be greeted with the acclaim befitting Alexander the great. McCain has the same capacity for speech possessed by all aspiring contemporary military commanders. 'Ten hut!' (Old spanish-Portugese expression, meaning 'attention!'). Doesn't usually go over so well in civilian settings.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 528
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 7:15:20 PM
Another interesting thing about Palin is that now journalists are scrambling to get a hold of the "Northern Exposure" special edition complete series DVD set - for research purposes.

McCain as "Maurice Minnifield" , and Palin as "Maggie O'Connell " ?

On the Northern Exposure television show, Maurice Minnifield was a Marine Corps fighter pilot in the Korean War ("fifteen confirmed kills over Pusan"), and spent time in a North Korean prison camp.

In 1988, Maurice brought Shelly Tambo to Cicely, having been smitten with her at the "Miss Northwest Passage" beauty contest in Dawson City, Yukon in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Minnifield

Maggie remained in the small town of Cicely, Alaska, flying an air taxi and supplementing her income as the local real estate agent. She served a term as mayor of Cicely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggie_O%27Connell

Spooky, isn't it ?
 mungojoe
Msg: 529
Posted: 8/31/2008 7:27:31 PM
Obama has many times said such great and flowery things such as reduction of tax burdens to the working class, billions of dollars to be sent here or there for one good reason or another yet in each of these phrases uttered by your great orator has he ever said where all this money to pay for any of this was to come from. Hmmmm....tooth fairy?

Well, the economy and budget seems to be able to support billions per month for an illegal war AND support tax cuts, bail-outs and corporate weflare on top of it.

According to the McCain/Bush Repubs this is absolutely no drain or burden on the economy. I would imagine much of what Obama proposes would be paid for just by eliminating any one of those "non-burdens" on the economy, wouldn't you?
 faith2565
Msg: 530
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 7:34:13 PM
They will eventually find something and I pray that it is not outrageous since McCain chose her after only one or two meetings.

You have children and meet someone once or twice. You go home and sign your children over to that person upon your death.

Does that make sense? Just a thought.
 gentalltheway
Msg: 531
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 7:42:02 PM

McCain and Palin had approx. 20,000 to show up at a campaign stop today. Reports said more wanted into the area but, there was no room so they lined the streets leading in. Little advance notice and McCain/Palin can pull off this many...while with many months advance and a lot of hoopla, Obama and Biden get 84,000 into a well staged event which holds 90,000.

You know what this means huh? "Beware airport restrooms, the Republicans are making their way to Minneapolis."
 StrangerInTheHouse
Msg: 532
Posted: 8/31/2008 8:27:24 PM
McCain's move was a smart move. It was red state politics... and as they've proven the past two elections, that's all they need to win.
Experience in Washington doesn't mean anything. In fact, it's a target, because Washington has been so ineffective the last 8 years and the whole country's going down the toilet...
It's the Elvis factor. The red staters believe that someone with common sense can come in and set everything right.. like in Elvis movies.
Don't tell them it can't be done.. because that's not what red staters believe.
They have enough votes to win the presidency. They've proved it. Any democrats who want to have a chance to win had better go to the red states and show them why they're better...
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 533
Posted: 8/31/2008 8:31:50 PM
RAVISHINGRENEE due your research before you post ma'am. I mean, really look into Sarah Pain's background and then decide if this is the woman you really want a heartbeat away from the highest office in the world. Also, this shows extremely poor judgement and desperation on McCains part. Why? Because if he was really smart he could've have chosen from among about six different REPUBLICAN FEMALES who have waaaaayyyyyyy more experience than Palin. Way more!!
Here's a list: Christine Todd Whitman, Kay Bailey Hutchison, Elizabeth Dole, Susan Collins, even - for goodness sake - Condoleezza Rice. Or Carly Fiorina

So why of all of those qualified females did he chose Palin? You have to have at least wonder WHY??!! For more info, here's
the best written article I've come across thus far about why this is a HORRIBLE choice for VP. It's fair and balanced. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-j-elisberg/the-worst-vice-presidenti_b_122491.html
 Barredbard
Msg: 534
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 8:36:25 PM
This is for Mr. 'gimme, gimme.'

I've never owned a dog that could bark on command. That's why I admire the republicans. The leaders at the helm who are reaping all the benefits and making all the money (think Haliburton, etc.) point at their rank and file members and command them to bark. And yowls, whelps and barks drown out common sense as the herd scrambles to obey. People 'demand free health care, guaranteed day care, retirement paid by others...' There's an interesting notion. I haven't met anyone that is demanding those things, and of course such demands are destined to fall on deaf ears. Not when we have more important things to argue about. Like the right to bear arms. Not your average Saturday night special, mind you, but high powered rifles and assault weapons.

The US is undoubtedly the only advanced nation that does little for the well-being of its citizenry. Our elderly, who have done more than their fair share to ensure the prosperity of our nation are not even guaranteed medicare as they draw nearer to their graves. Health care in the most industrialized nation is dependent on the whims of employers. And since in the our jurisprudence, there is a presumption of at will employment, employers can simply shrug and turn a blind eye if they so wish. In today's economy, they are doing so at an alarming rate. And in view of all this, it is a calamity for people to propose subsidizing a health care system? What an outlandish thought. Canada right next door is doing it, but we all know they are barbarians who still wear perfumed loin-cloths to this very day.

Obama will win every 'welfare city?' Come on sir. Surely you can do better than that. I'd expect better from an automaton. The right to vote should limited to people who can express themselves well; people who are able to think for themselves.
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 535
Posted: 8/31/2008 8:52:58 PM
Ravishing, I somehow knew you would say that "huffington post.... please" But did you read the article? The guy who wrote clearly states that HE DOES NOT SUPPORT OBAMA. HE WAS GOING TO VOTE FOR MCCAIN!!! Read the article first. I know its from a generally democratic site but this guy is crystal clear and has strong points that are hard argue against on why this is a terrible pick. Read it then come back and state your opinion instead of writing it off first. Seriously, check it out. Fascinating read. Especially from a guy who was ready to vote for McCain.
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 536
Posted: 8/31/2008 9:26:02 PM
So Ravinshing I take it you REFUSE to read said article huh? I guess that cool. Your prerogative. Seriously, lets hear why you think we should have another 4 years like the last 8. I'm just curious.
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 538
Posted: 8/31/2008 9:57:49 PM
Charlemagne we know the real reason why they don't like Obama. But they're afraid to come right out and say it. Instead they use code words to hide behind their bigotry. I say bigotry because MOST not all but MOST criticism is empty and baseless. They hate the speech because it actually spoke to them and you know how people HATE to be wrong so they demean it and say it was "all talk, empty promises, vague, etc." Even after he pointed out specifics. Then they say "please show me where he points out his specific plans etc." But refuse to go to his website and read what he plans to do. But yet, they can't state why "staying the course" is better than change. And regarding Sarah Palin, every major news channel from CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN continues to prod and analyze why McCain would pick someone with LESS experience than Barack Obama. They're not even remotely suggesting that she has more experience. Its as though that doesn't even cross their mind. Why? Because it's simply not true. If it were, most would be praising the pick as smart and savvy. Instead they all find it "curious, odd, strange, risky, daring, gamble etc." Also, the continually reference the pick as a hurting McCain BECAUSE of her less than experience than Barack.
Only Faux News suggest that Palin has more experience than Obama. Of course that should be no surprise to anyone.
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 540
Posted: 8/31/2008 10:42:02 PM
^^^Or Christine Todd Whitman, Kay Bailey Hutchison, Elizabeth Dole, Susan Collins, Condoleezza Rice. Or Carly Fiorina. ANYONE of them would be better than Palin.
From what I understand (didn't get to see the interview) Kay Bailey Hutchison although she still supports the decision was clearly taken back by it. Some suggested that she was struggling "live" during the interview to find a valid reason to support her. Again, with the issue of experience, the only people that seem to think she has more than Obama are republicans. Every major news outlet CBS, CNN, ABC, NBC refer to her as having LESS experience than Barack. I mean if she REALLY had more experience than Barack then the issues of experience wouldn't come up in regards to her being a "strange" pick for McCain. It wouldn't even cross anyone's mind. Nobody would question if she was ready or not.
 geeleebee
Msg: 541
Posted: 8/31/2008 10:46:27 PM
Can any of you who support McCain explain why you also support Palin? I'm not asking for her resume', I'm asking for your honest, gut-level response when you consider a scenario where McCain is incapacitated and Palin has to take over--the buck totally stops with her.
 jelunc
Msg: 543
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 10:58:51 PM
The First Husband of Alaska must really, really want one of those blue tahps!!
 Outdoor2
Msg: 545
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 11:15:39 PM

Wheres the beef?

Have you even bothered to look at the detailed plans of either candidate?

They are not that much different! They get closer as the days drag on!

Wanna know why?

The big boys who really run the show will win...regardless of who "wins"

They are like a well versed orchestra...enabling them to pull at heart strings regardless of the audience..yet their agenda is still the same....

Am I to understand it the Republican choice for VP hinged on abortion???

No....but it did energize people...hoping to take the wind out of Obamas acception speech...hell...he almost had no other choice...any other pick would not have generated 40 odd pages on this site...let alone any other.

I think the difference between the two V.P. picks is McCain chose salad and dessert and Obama chose meat and potatoes.

Barredbard:

Here are a few facts regarding Palin:

She didn't (doesn't) know what the job entails...perhaps she'll prescribe to McCains view of the job description?
Just days before she signed a very (potentially) big oil/gas contract that also involves Canada. Another piece of the N.A.U. agenda perhaps? Personally, I'm waiting for when access to water fight comes...it'll get really nasty then...
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 546
Posted: 8/31/2008 11:17:14 PM
Ravishingrenee... in all seriousness, let me let you in on an inside tip from the black community... the majority of African Americans rarely if ever think about getting back at whites. The overwhelming attitude is I just want to be able to pursue and live a life free from discrimination. Period. There is no hidden agenda of getting back at whites. Some black people may feel this way but I'm confident in saying the overwhelming majority don't. It's a waste of time mentally and physically. Also a losing battle if we did go that route. Also, have you ever considered your thoughts on that regarding Obama? His mother was white. His GRANDPARENTS who are still alive are WHITE. So why would this biracial Black man discriminate against his own family. Ridiculous.
Re: Palin, I actually like her. She IS a breath of fresh air for this election. And I actually wouldn't mind seeing her run IN THE FUTURE. But now, coming off of the last 8 years? With her current views? With her paper thin resume? With John McCain? Hell no! We gotta change. We have to at least TRY some change and Obama has strong IDEAS in that direction. McCain literally promises the same. He also doesn't think much is wrong with this country. That should tell you a lot. He doesn't think WE those who make under 5 million dollars are really that bad off. He thinks middle class is those making UNDER 5 MILLION DOLLARS!! Talk about out of touch. As far as hope, did you see Obama's speech? His whole campaign is on hope. Which McCain ridiculed. He ridiculed YOU because you actually want and see HOPE! As far as qualifications lets think this out real quick.... lets agree for a moment that none of them are qualified. Since none are qualified then what are we left with? Ideas. Since in our hypothetical scenario suggest no one is qualified then who has the best ideas for taking this country in a new direction? Again, McCain PROMISES the same. Sure he'll say other wise but his actions tells us everything we need to know... he follows Bush 90-95% of the time. That's not change. At least Obama has ideas. Although lofty ideas that one can surmise as goals and or challenges, nonetheless its still a vision. And as the good book states...Where there is no vision, the people perish!
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 548
Posted: 8/31/2008 11:31:13 PM
Boy... it's amazing how people will look for any excuse in the world to vote against Obama. ANY excuse. Just a thought... if Palin where a man with the same credentials and Obama were white with the same credentials the whole idea of experience probably wouldn't come up. But hey, this is America. Old habits die hard. Change is just around the corner.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 549
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 11:42:16 PM

Psst....it's cuz Obama ain't white (enough).

You care more about the cover of the book than the substance....WOW...still learning at a grade two level are we?
What will be you next statement? I'll take a wild guess....."It's called the WHITE for a reason!"
Voting based on race rather on substance...can't get more Un-American than that.
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 550
Posted: 9/1/2008 12:26:37 AM
Vulf, he's proving my point as stated earlier. Its because Obama is black. Period. AGAIN. NOT ALL THOSE WHO DONT SUPPORT OBAMA feel this way. But MOST DO and its clear in their un-cited, random code word comments like "he's a democrat with the same ideas as Karry" Or I don't like his stand on abortion (this is painfully obvious when MEN state this) Or he wants to raise my taxes. Again, I say to all those who DONT SUPPORT OBAMA (and give vague unsubstantiated reasons why) have some balls and just say you won't vote for a black man. Period. I personally would have nothing to say to that. Actually nobody could say anything because it would be how you feel. Even if I think its a base, shameful and remedial way of thinking, I can't really get mad at it. So just be honest at least, in your bigotry and stop trying to hide. Just be the bigot your are.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]