Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 551
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah PalinPage 23 of 104    (9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49)
More lies from Sarah "Soccer Mom" Palin in regars to the bridge to nowhere project this is from DEMS AND REPUBS...
http://www.reuters.com/article/vcCandidateFeed7/idUSN3125537020080901

McCain should've vetted her. Wow, talk about poor judgement.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 552
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 9/1/2008 12:58:55 AM
Ravishingrene,

First of all, thank you for being honest about your feelings and saying out loud what many people are probably thinking (and voting) in this election; that they are afraid of voting for a black candidate who promises social programs for poor blacks.

It is interesting to see the workings of decisions (honestly) in process. I think the more that "fear" of other races is made out to be taboo and eliminated from the public discourse, people will never have the chance to really examine that fear or the consequenses of it.

In your case, and perhaps many women in your region, a generalized fear or worry that a black president would spend money to help poor black people is causing you to vote for mccain, mainly because you like palin. If palin's beliefs and actions were imposed on your area, you would not have the right to abortions, nor would your daughters. She is also not in favor of birth control for women. You and your daughters, if you have any, would not have much control over your own reproductive rights. Imagine what your dating life will be like; you will either have to practice abstinence, or take the risk of having a child every time you have sex with a man (you hope) is starting to have serious feelings about you and wants to take the relationship to another level. You can survey other threads on POF to see how often the guy then immeadiately dissappears at this point.

On the otherhand, you can take the risk of voting for obama, and, perhaps poor blacks (among others) will begin getting funds for education, medical and transportation services in poor, depressed areas among other things. Ultimately would this be so bad?

Ironically, I am in boston, working at a large law firm. I will make a ton of money whether mccain wins or obama wins. Maybe 30-40 thousand dollars a year of that federal money you are afraid will be given to blacks would be my money. And yet, I am looking forward to seeing that money get directed to social programs.

This is one of the fundemental puzzles of american politics. Wealthy states, such as new york and massachusetts are consistently voting for social programs (we believe in the end, it cost the government less money to educate than to incarcerate) and poor states are frequently voting against the same programs, complaining they are a waste of THEIR tax money, when the money they pay in federal taxes is proportionately very very small.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 553
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2008 1:09:28 AM
"...as for my child being raped.... "

If a reported rape, then she is taken to an emergency room for a rape kit treatment which includes a medical procedure that reduces risk of STDs and prevents pregnancy. I've interviewed doctors of several types on this over the years. Standard practice. Rape is not a valid reason ... unless Palin passes a law to stop this standard treatment.

"Obama.... believes in late trimester abortions"

No he doesn't. I have previously provided the links and you can google to find them again. Obama and McCain have the same value: Abortion for rape, incest and to save the life of the mother. What is used to misrepresent Obama is his vote against a version of a bill because it had no provision to protect the life of the woman. He is pro protecting the woman's life.

Finally, 7 birth control pills work the same as 1 morning after pill. I know a couple of women who effectively prevent pregnancies when their rubbers leak (they do check). They are very careful to practice STD prevention along with pregnancy prevention. Only extremists like Palin are against their methods.

The vast majority of people are closer to agreement on this topic than many seem to think. It requires that we all set aside the extremists on both ends of the topic and find a pro-moderate position.
 mjk21258
Msg: 555
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2008 2:40:36 AM

So maybe she was against contraception before she was for it?

So, she is a flip flopper like everyother politician. Just making the point that any politician that has been out there for any amount of time could be accused of flip flopping on a number of issues. The most overused and overrated term in politics I beleive.
 mjk21258
Msg: 556
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2008 2:51:51 AM

Rayzrsharp....
I will say what no one else seems to be able to say.... Yes, I was raised in the south..... and the part of the south where in the 60's we had separate water fountains for whites and black..... and some of the truck drivers were not allowed to come into the restaurants to eat..... yes we still have lingering doubts about having a black in the white house... Don't worry we were afraid of putting a woman in there too.... It is not politically correct to say it but when a black man makes a speech and says he will make things better for the poor blacks when he gets into office.. I worry about reverse racism........ I don't just want poor blacks taken care of but poor whites.. poor Asians.. and poor whomever.........

As for qualifications..... I don't think any of the people running for office this year are worth a hoot.......but

Sarah Palin is the first breath of fresh air this election has seen... and for the first time instead of feeling I have to vote for the lesser of two evils..... I actually see hope in site!!!!!!! /]

Obama hasn't said he would only help the poor blacks of this great country, he wants to help the POOR of the country, just so happens that blacks make up a disproportionate number of the poor in this nation.

As for Sarah Palin being a breath of fresh air, why is that? Could it be because we just don't know enough about her? Sure she has fought corruption, but does she have any big new ideas?

I just read somewhere else and I quote, "she will gain the experience while VP to be the President" Well, my probem with that is, suppose and God forbid McCain dies two weeks after taking office?
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 558
Posted: 9/1/2008 3:20:57 AM

however... a fetus should be terminated before it is viable if it is unwanted.... it is better to never give birth than to have a child you don't want and them mistreat it for the entirety of its life.

And based upon that, you can still support McCain/Palin? Amazing thought process. Uh, hint hint...that's NOT what THEY support.
 Barredbard
Msg: 561
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2008 4:46:27 AM
My, oh my. Apparently someone owned up to having 'lingering doubts about having a black man in the White House, about reverse racism.' Fascinating. I've never understood this phenomenon from people from the south. Since the author of that opinion was using generlizations, I shall do the same. First of all, I wasn't alive during those lively 60's. Those glorious days, when 'there were seperate fountains and restaurants for black folks.' Segregation in the schools. On the bus. Oh, but there was never anything really terrible about that. Although the facilities were seperate, they were also equal, in the same manner that a donkey is equal to a thoroughbred horse. Both were equus caballus (latin name for horse). The Southerners did everything they could to ensure that the civil rights movement would be squashed. They burned churches. Tortured people. Lynched them. The one senator from the south who will remain unnamed holds the longest record for filibustering in Congress; in order to prevent the civil rights act from being passed. And all the while, he had a black mistress and black children. But that was not discovered until he kicked the bucket. And the really scary thing was - this happened not in a galaxy far away, or in time immemorial. This was 40 something odd years ago. Had I been born a decade or two earlier, all my fine tuned nonchalance would be non-existent. The people who did all these things were 'good people.' They went to church. They cared about their communities. They provided for their families. They just didn't want others to rise to the occassion.

And so, southerners are opposed to the idea of anyone with a pint of black blood gaining entrance to the White House. This aversion is a complex feeling. Some of it is guilt. No matter how vehemently they may deny it, they know they've done wrong. For the rest it is still racism. Obama is an abomination. He is the product of a union between a caucasian and a black. Shudder. If you check his scalp he might just prove to be the anti-christ. But the truth of the matter is, black people do not wake up every day looking for payback. They voluntarily segregate themselves most of the time. Think what you will of them, but they have moved on. Hatred is a two-edged sword that cuts against the wielder. It is impractical for anyone with even a peanut-sized intellect to go through life with such emotions seething beneath the surface. Besides, many realize it would be sheer folly to hate Caucasians. There were those Caucasians that fought every step of the way to ensure the freedom blacks enjoy. Men of good will. Stalwart companions. Great Humanitarians. They have a name for them in the south, and it is not a flattering one. As for my generation, we scarcely pay any attention to the bitter past. Oh, I am careful about the neighborhoods I visit. But I am more concerned about what the police are doing now. Today. I pretty much ignore the past. Like most 'blacks,' I feel it is better to live in the present.

As for those 'poor blacks' who will gain a wind fall when Obama 'ascends' to office. Funny. Obama isn't black, but in a society focused on race they forget he is only half. But lets keep working on the math. Blacks are slightly over 13% of the population. State welfare - such as it is - is scarcely ever calculated to make its recipients independently wealth. If all the impoverished blacks were given $12,000, which I am given to understand is the poverty line, it would be a very minute fraction of what the big corporations and the wealthy gain in tax breaks and incentives under this administration. Fact is, the poor will remain poor, regardless of whether the state feeds them or not. Poor Caucasians by far outnumber poor blacks. It is a matter of proportion. But they don't get any media attention. And while you are at it, you might as well address illegal immigration. More tax dollars go in that direction than in the direction of those 'blacks.' And by the way, if you are so concerned about welfare, you should love the Clintons. They dramatically reformed welfare. What I find mesmerising is the inability of rank and file members of the republican party to think for themselves. They are told that the liberals seek to take their hard earned money and give it to those blacks. And they just swallow that. Hook, line and sinker. No questions asked. In the civil war, the average caucasian in the confederate army did not even own any slaves. They could not afford them! But their leaders could. And they led the sheep. Blindly and unprotesting. Sad, really.....
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 562
Posted: 9/1/2008 5:18:18 AM
Charles is right. We don't know Palin's voting record. But if she had that kind of a voice and the privilege to vote on bills, I think we all know how she would have voted. With Bush. She's even more conservative than McCain on women's issues. So it appears that while they are propping her up as a 'step forward for women', really, the brain that resides under the coiffed hairdo is stuck in the stone age. Probably precisely why the conservatives love her.

**edit** When McCain introduced her the other day in PA, he said "Hey I found you someone else you can have a beer with". I threw up a little bit in my mouth. Why do the people on the right not see how flimsy this all is? They are playing you for fools. But that's nothing new.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 563
Posted: 9/1/2008 5:26:42 AM
I would imagine that Palin's son as well as many members of her state's military going to Iraq has her pretty much involved in what is going on over there.
Wow, thats quite an IMAGINATION!
Lets see, all parents of members of the milatary preparing to go to Iraq are pretty much involved enough to have enough knowledge on the invasion/occupation of Iraq to make decisions on policy by that "logic" huh?

I imagine soon be going there to visit. Once she does, I would expect her to be far more qualified than he in this aspect would you not agree?
Is this the joke furum? There are only a couple of months before the election presidential election in which she and Johnny Mac Daddy and the Republican nominees. Maybe her going to Iraq in that time would give her time to prepare for debates with Biden? Oh no! Thats right! She is by far the most qualified candidate to serve as troop pinup. Beautyqueens often make appearances to the troops.
 Kaos86
Msg: 564
Posted: 9/1/2008 5:59:55 AM

She is by far the most qualified candidate to serve as troop pinup. Beautyqueens often make appearances to the troops.

I am amazed at all the sexist comments from the left.
Now we see what liberals really think of women.
Thank God the men of Alaska know and respect an intelligent woman when they see one.

This woman has been elected a State Governor and currently carries an approval rating in the 80's phenominal. She has as much experience as Obama.
The left is terrified of her.
 mjk21258
Msg: 565
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2008 6:01:31 AM

If that's your fears then you must be hoping that if a democratic victory occurs, Obama kicks asap so that somebody with experience can take over.

No, that isn't a fear for me at all. I actually believe Obama is qualified and also believe he will also seek advice and council from Biden and others.

As for Sarah Palin, I don't know enough about her to say definitively whether she is qualified. But 6 years as mayor of a town of 5,469, (2000 census numbers) and less than 2 years as governor of a state with a population under 700,000 certainly doesn't give me the confidence that she is indeed experienced enough. Though I am reserving judgement til I know more about her.
 mjk21258
Msg: 566
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2008 6:10:55 AM

I never heard of Biden or Obama until this presidential race. [quote/]

Okay, maybe you haven't. But I will say one thing, Biden has been pretty well known for over 20 years. He ran for President in the 1988 primaries and was considered a strong candidate.
 MacKevinized
Msg: 567
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2008 6:43:16 AM
Sarah''s Resume

Education:

Went to college and learned how to pose in front of a camera and turn the knobs on the studio console.

Work:
I won a beauty contest.
Spent time in front of a camera reading sports scripts
Ran a sport utility vehicle business but it was not profitable.
Had babies while shooting moose for my dad.

Secured a position on City Council and talked about the 3 traffic lights and shooting a polar bear that was bothering the oil rig.
Secured a position as City Manager (but we'll call that MAYORAL EXPERIENCE) and talked about the 3 traffic lights and shooting another polar bear that was bothering the oil rig.

As Mayor, I've been in every neighborhood of it's 10 square mile area.

Got appointed to this oil ethics position and couldn't get in on the 'old boy network' so I broke into my peer's computer and quit my job knowing I could expose my fellow republicans, those old boys, for personal political gain.

That failed in 2002, but it worked in 2006 where I played down the part about breaking into someone's computer.

As govener, I was able to give $1,000.00 to each alaskan citizen from oil revenues so they would not mind the $2500.00 extra they have to pay for oil company profits.

I am for Change. I campaigned on having a couple of bridges built and was almost successful at having the federal money come through until some guy in the senate started calling it a 'Bridge to Nowhere" and the money dried up. Then I was against it, see, there's a change.
I know I promised to go back and explain why I'm now against cancelling this project to the people that have to drive a few hundred miles around what the bridge is over, don't worry, I will have a good story to tell when I get back from this VP thing.

I can change. You don't have to worry about me breaking into John's computer to see which special interests he's in bed with, He doesn't use a computer.

And I'm for eliminating dinosaurs from any reference material because we all know that's a let wing plot to disprove the bible.
 badge3939
Msg: 568
Posted: 9/1/2008 7:02:50 AM

I don't have anything against state governors, (although this last president has been a disaster) I have something against somebody who has been one for less than 20 months of a tiny state thinking they're qualified to become president.

Tiny state? This can be taken many ways.
I take that as land mass.
Then Rhode Island is a big state.
Hope you realize that Alaska is the largest state in the USA.
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa/states/area.shtml
Just in case, but that including water.
http://geography.about.com/library/faq/blqzlargestates.htm

If it is in reference to the population.
http://www.city-data.com/states/Alaska-Population.html

Alaska, with a land area one-fifth the size of the conterminous US, ranked 47th in population in 2002 with an estimated total of 643,786, an increase of 2.7% since 2000. Between 1990 and 2000, Alaska's population grew from 550,043 to 626,932, or 14%.

Trying to use the population base as a reason to discredit her is lame.
http://www.ucalgary.ca/applied_history/tutor/calgary/popchart3.html
1988 Civic Census (April) 657 118. Who was mayor? He became the Primer
to a population base of 2,545,553 in 1991. http://www.citypopulation.de/Canada-Alberta.html What was his experience before being elected mayor? TV Sports caster.
She is the best pick McCain had.
Just trying to discredit her on anything. Sends a message that the DEMS are scared of her more than McCain.
It just wishful thinking that she not going to be on the ticket in Nov. .
If she is not scared take on her own party, on issues. She sure would not be scared to take on the Dems. That what scares the Dems the most.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 569
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2008 7:06:53 AM

She is the best pick McCain had.

If you read that article I posted, that doesn't seem to be the case. She was not even being proposed by ANYONE in the inner circle as a probable pick.

She was only chosen, at the very last minute, because McCain made the decision personally.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 570
Posted: 9/1/2008 7:16:07 AM
Can any of you who support McCain explain why you also support Palin? I'm not asking for her resume', I'm asking for your honest, gut-level response when you consider a scenario where McCain is incapacitated and Palin has to take over--the buck totally stops with her.

For me the ship is still out on Palin, but I can tell you why I still support McCain given his VP choice. While Palin might not be able to serve from day one, neither can Obama. He's completely unqualified for the position, and what I've seen of him during the one plus year he's been campaigning has not changed my opinion.

So to me the choices are: elect an unqualified President (Obama) who will start serving in January, or elect a highly qualified President (McCain) who is unlikely to die in office, but if he does would leave a person with less experience than he has in the job.

Personally I don't see how Palin has less experience than Mitt Romney, whose entire political resume is one term as Governor of Massachusetts.

Even if Sarah Palin was running against Barack Obama for President, I might vote for her. What I do know shows me she's a fighter, not unafraid to stand up to her party, whereas Obama rose in the political system through the Chicago "machine" and has had very little opposition in running for office. Palin also brings executive experience to the Republican ticket, where the Democratic ticket has none.

Like Hillary, Sarah Palin appears to have more cojones than Obama, so maybe if Hillary and Sarah each lent Barack one of theirs he'd have a set.
 mjk21258
Msg: 571
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2008 7:32:24 AM

Yes. Lost twice. Quite strong

Just pointing out he is quite well known, since you said you never heard of him.

But if you care to check out Biden's record you would find he is qualified, even if you don't agree with his politics. As are IMO McCain and Obama. Palin I am not convinced she is qualified.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 572
Posted: 9/1/2008 7:35:17 AM
I'm still baffled be those who think "scale" is not an issue and running a small town and running the country are the same set of skills. Putting aside the whole, she's qualified/not qualified, or if she'll ever have to assume office if elected, let's just agree that anytime a project gets bigger, managing the scale of the project becomes a skill in itself.

And for all those who say obama's constitutional law experience means nothing, I'd say you've never taked constitutional law. It is not only a "law" class, but it is a political and social history of the united states and it's policies. Anyone who has meditated for 10 years on key supreme court cases has had time to reflect at length on carefully reflected on federal laws and their intentions, their failures, in everything from commerce to crime to civil rights, to taxation and more. When candidates say stuff like "I will close the loophole in inefficient laws" that candidate can't do it unless they have history with drafting laws, what is constiturtional legal, what similar attempts have failed in the past. Making a law is NOT as simple as making a wish, and it really requires a little experience, to say the least.

On the other hand, a woman who earned a bachelors in political science in 1987 and then worked as a sportscaster, never contemplating a life in politics, as palin said, has probably not meditated much on the history of federal lawmaking/failures and successes...except for roe v wade of course, and that's not the only federal policy that bears on our lives, believe it or not.

And anyone who never heard of Biden until last week must have spent every sunday at church for the past 30 years and never saw "meet the press" once in their lives, cause he was often on there, talking about his views in depth for a solid hour.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 573
Posted: 9/1/2008 7:54:50 AM
And for all those who say obama's constitutional law experience means nothing, I'd say you've never taked constitutional law.

Hmm . . . I've "taked" consitutional law, both at Princeton (undergraduate) and Harvard (graduate). And it is a very good background for the practice of law, for serving in the judiciary, and even for serving in Congress.

Being the chief executive officer of the country requires much more than a good understanding of constitutional law. If it didn't then I should be running for President. And no . . . I don't think I have the qualifications for the job.

It is not only a "law" class, but it is a political and social history of the united states and it's policies. Anyone who has meditated for 10 years on key supreme court cases has had time to reflect at length on carefully reflected on federal laws and their intentions, their failures, in everything from commerce to crime to civil rights, to taxation and more.

I think these things make someone very qualified to be a constitutional law professor, and from what I understand Obama was a very good one.

I went for my graduate degrees after I had been in the workforce for 7 years, and I can tell you those who are in academica have very different perspectives than those who have actually worked in their field.

When candidates say stuff like "I will close the loophole in inefficient laws" that candidate can't do it unless they have history with drafting laws, what is constiturtional legal, what similar attempts have failed in the past. Making a law is NOT as simple as making a wish, and it really requires a little experience, to say the least.

And writing laws is not the same thing as taking, or teaching constitutional law. Given that I'm one of the few people in these threads (if not the only one) who's both taken con law and written legislation, you'll have to take my word for it. If there are others, I'm ready for differing viewpoints and debate.

On the other hand, a woman who earned a bachelors in political science in 1987 and then worked as a sportscaster, never contemplating a life in politics, as palin said, has probably not meditated much on the history of federal lawmaking/failures and successes...except for roe v wade of course, and that's not the only federal policy that bears on our lives, believe it or not.

Politicians pass through the ranks with differing types of experience. We've had many good Presidents who did not have a legal background . . . so your point is?

And anyone who never heard of Biden until last week must have spent every sunday at church for the past 30 years and never saw "meet the press" once in their lives, cause he was often on there, talking about his views in depth for a solid hour.

Well, I'll give you that one. Biden's been in office for 35 years. You haven't been watching the political scene if you don't know who he is.
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 574
Posted: 9/1/2008 8:28:43 AM
Jesus Christ wouldn't be a bad choice, but there's no way he'd be carrying guns and voting republican. In fact, I think the jury's still out on what he thinks of evangelicals. lol

Reddwine, the only people I've heard of not liking Obama's choice of Biden are the Hillary supporters. They wanted her. But even they have to give Biden kudos. He's a good man.

As far as Sarah Palin, I have to admit I haven't paid much attention to presidential elections and VP's etc before Clinton. So I cannot say that someone so unknown picked out of the sky and plopped in front of a podium hasn't happened before. Personally, I think all Americans should be a little peeved at this. It is almost as if we have no choice or no say in who becomes the next D!ck Cheney. As has been pointed out, this woman might very well become our next president. What's she even done that has shown she has interest in the job? Honestly, I think that she felt she couldn't say no to this offer out of the blue. She had no aspirations for it, no desire,(by her own admission) and I think she was just as shocked as we all were. It is much, MUCH different than Obama's "unknown" status. Obama may have been an unknown, but bylots of hard work and determination, and actually reaching out to those he wishes to govern, he is now not an unknown. It almost makes one feel as if McCain was drunk one night and threw darts at a VP map.

.......bam! Welp, I guess she's the one! Whataya think, Karl? OOPS!! Romney's face fell on the floor....I better try again...naw. We'll go with this one. Now pass me another shot of JB.
 exodusi1
Msg: 575
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2008 8:37:15 AM
So called Christians are constantly assailing Liberals for having Christian values. . .

I could see it now, JC is a P****, he doesn't love America, he wants to love the terrorists, he doesn't understand eonomics, he is a socialist, he wants UHC, he wants to raise my taxes to pay for their healthcare, they should get a job. . .

They don't even see their own hypocracy! I'm sorry JC, they know not what they do.. .
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]