Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Outdoor2
Msg: 701
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah PalinPage 29 of 104    (15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55)

Day Of Stunning Palin Disclosures

Combined Wire Services
September 2, 2008

ST. PAUL, Minn. — - John McCain's running mate, Sarah Palin, said Monday that her 17-year-old unmarried daughter was five months pregnant, the latest in a string of disclosures that left the McCain campaign defending his choice and the thoroughness of the background check of the little-known Alaska governor.

It was also revealed Monday that an attorney had been hired to represent Palin in a state ethics probe and that her husband, Todd, had been arrested for drunken driving two decades ago. The man who led McCain's vice presidential search team said he thought everything that came up as a possible red flag during the background check had now been made public.

"I think so," Arthur B. Culvahouse Jr. told The Associated Press. "Yes. I think so. Correct."

McCain advisers said he knew about the pregnancy before he settled on Palin, and said that Palin had been thoroughly vetted. In Alaska, however, there's little evidence of a thorough vetting process.

Though it's possible that some people in Alaska were called during the process, there was no sign of it. The former U.S. attorney for Alaska, Wev Shea, who enthusiastically recommended Palin back in March, said he was never contacted with any follow-up questions.

Chris Coleman, one of Palin's next-door neighbors, said no one representing McCain spoke to him about Palin. Another neighbor also was never contacted, he said Monday.

Republican Gail Phillips, a former speaker of the Alaska House, said she was shocked by McCain's selection of Palin and told her husband, Walt, "This can't be happening because his advance team didn't come to Alaska to check her out." She said she would have heard had someone been poking around.

"We're not a very big state," Phillips said. "People I talk to would've heard something."

The FBI declined to say whether it had conducted a full-field investigation of Palin's background before McCain tapped her as his running mate. FBI spokesman Richard Kolko referred callers to the McCain campaign.

The revelations came on the first day of the Republican National Convention, which already had been overshadowed by Hurricane Gustav — and brought unwanted attention to the 44-year-old governor, a self-described "hockey mom" with little experience on the national stage.

"Life happens," said McCain adviser Steve Schmidt, talking about the pregnancy story.

"An American family," colleague Mark Salter added.

In a brief respite from partisanship, Democratic rival Barack Obama weighed in: "I think people's families are off limits and people's children are especially off limits."

McCain aides said the announcement about the pregnancy of Palin's daughter, Bristol, was aimed at rebutting Internet rumors that Palin's own youngest son, born in April, was actually the daughter's.

The pregnancy statement, attributed to Sarah and Todd Palin and released by the campaign, said that Bristol Palin would keep her baby and marry the child's father, identified only as a young man named Levi. The baby is due in late December.

"Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. We're proud of Bristol's decision to have her baby and even prouder to become grandparents," Sarah and Todd Palin said in their brief statement.

Palin had told McCain's team about the pregnancy and her husband's old DUI during lengthy discussions about her background, aides said.

As for the Alaska probe, a Republican-dominated legislative committee is investigating whether Palin dismissed Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan after he refused to fire a state trooper who had divorced Palin's sister.

In another development, the Washington Post, citing an analysis by an independent government watchdog, reported today that Palin employed a lobbying firm to secure almost $27 million in federal earmarks for a town of 6,700 residents while she was its mayor.

There was $500,000 for a youth shelter, another $1.9 million for a transportation hub, $900,000 for sewer repairs, and $15 million for a rail project — all intended to benefit Palin's town, Wasilla, about 45 miles north of Anchorage.

In introducing Palin as his running mate on Friday, McCain cast her as a compatriot in his battle against wasteful federal spending.

Compiled from Associated Press, McClatchy Newspapers and Washington Post reports.

http://www.courant.com/news/nationworld/hc-palin0902.artsep02,0,5221287.story

If accurate....it's all very interesting...
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 702
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 9/2/2008 12:18:04 PM
The GOP has now, unappoligetically abandoned all their supporters except those belonging to a narrow, religious group.

Whereas "conservative" used to be a buzz word for "free market/limited government interference" now it means:

1. assign or withhold federal funds to family planning, counseling and schools that promote safe sex in accordance with the agenda of this country's minority religious views,
2. ignore the fact that american children fall behind in math and science on the world stage in order to focus on teaching creationism in schools.
3. block the development of medical research in favor of promoting their religious agenda.
4. allow medical professionals to interfere with the natural supply and demand forces related to contraception if it violates their religious views.
 Barredbard
Msg: 703
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 12:27:06 PM
I am taking a break from work, and I’d be mortified if my boss discovered I was on Plentyoffish rather than commandeering the phone, shuffling and reshuffling files and doing legal research. I sense that he wouldn’t understand that we solve all the problems in the continental US and the world as a whole in this one forum. While you have your different styles – and slight nuances to your expressed humor – I have enjoyed reading both your blogs till date. Your political perspectives are different, in the same way that a banana might be said to be different from a plantain (both look identical, even if they taste different). Or a guinea pig might be said to be different from a bush rat (both are rodents, even if one has reason to loathe scientists and the other doesn’t). Or a butterfly might be said to be different from a moth (both develop from caterpillars). Or a Dixiecrat might be said to be different from a Republican (both seem slightly ‘constipated’). Or the King James version of the Bible might be said to be different from the Revised Standard Version (both tell the same credibly incredible tales). Meaning there’s little, if any real difference. You both usually have well-informed, good points to make. So let us bury the hatchet in – let’s see – Dobson. He would make such a jolly receptacle for any solid object, blunt or sharp. Yes sir. He gets my vote for a bludgeon rally.
 Barredbard
Msg: 704
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 12:27:55 PM
That was for Charlemagne and Dance
 Barredbard
Msg: 705
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 12:48:17 PM
LOL...Thanks redwine. Writing is a thankless job now that the writer's guild has been disbanded and the peasants all have access to stylos and pens. And a printing press. As a republican, you wouldn't want me living on welfare now, would you? There are as many writers that make a good living as there are bi-racial racists in the US. Tres peu. Very few. I think I'll opt for a career as a towncrier....
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 706
Posted: 9/2/2008 12:57:24 PM
If she's so perfect and "has it all" why is she hiding from the press since Saturday?
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 707
Posted: 9/2/2008 1:14:01 PM
Dance, I agree, you are the Ralph Waldo Emerson of POF.

No back to the fight... I love how Barack had to write 3 books, 1 on his vision for america and 1 specifically about his future policy goals, and still spend 19 months getting kicked in the stomach so that America would accept him DESPITE HIS ADMITTED LACK OF EXPERIENCE and Palin thinks she can walk on to the scene and say, "well, you like Obama right? Well, my experience is just as good."
 exodusi1
Msg: 708
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 1:28:24 PM
Which is why YOUR kids end up pregnant or have STDs. . .

Great parenting skills!

We have to teach YOUR kids, because you are too ignorant to do so, YOU kids shouldn't suffer because YOU are ignorant. . . That's the difference between liberals and Neocons. You just don't get it and would rather sacrifice your children then admit you were wrong!
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 709
Posted: 9/2/2008 1:29:06 PM

As far as condoms - If I had a school that undermined my authority in my childs life on that or any other issue, there would be hell to pay.

If we agree to talk about the real world, then we have to acknowledge that some kids in high school are having sex.

Now is it irresponsible of the school to try to minimize the consequences of that? And how is providing access to condoms for those kids that should be using them "undermining your authority"? I have to say, that if your authority is undermined by a condom machine, you don't have any.
 mjk21258
Msg: 711
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 1:38:51 PM

I am really sorry, but I think that a school that will not give my child an asprin for fear of liabilities, should not have the right to distribute condoms to him/her. The idea that any agency would give my child anything that ok's sexual activity is abhorant to me. That is an issue that needs to be dealt with at home. Your nanny state mentality, I feel is partially what's wrong in this country. Instead of encouraging abstinence, your philosphy encourages sexual activity. Kids need to know what adults think about what they are doing - giving them an easy out, tells them it's ok - If I were a parent today, I would say that you can have your public schools - I will either home school my kid, or find a private school that teaches the same morals I do - yeah, I hear you, if my kid turns up pregnant, etc etc etc. There is a good change she won't - Matter of fact, she decided not to (that would be the child I did raise). I spent time with our kids, talked to them, told them the real deal - that is not the schools job. It's something I feel strongly about. If passing out of condoms in school were working so well, I don't understand why the teen pregnancy rate is as high as it is -

There are many reasons why the teen pregnancy rate is so high. The number one reason is sex feels good and teens realize this, the number two reason is parenting, too many parents don't talk to their kids about it and then their children are afraid to ask questions about it. If more parents would talk about sex with their kids, one of two things would happens, kids would have less sex or practice safe sex. Now, since some parents don't talk to their kids about sex, it needs to be taught in school and I don't mean by other students. And if you think schools are teaching poor moral then indeed you should home school or send your child elsewhere, but I believe that vast majority of schools teaching sex ed are doing so in a responsible way. Shame more parents don't take that responsibility so serious.
 exodusi1
Msg: 712
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 1:45:37 PM
Exactly, MJK!

If you don't teach you kid about sex, then my kids suffer. Yes, in a perfect world, my kids would be my responsibility and your kids would be yours, however, we don't live in a perfect world.

Now, it may seem that I am angry and I suppose I am. . . I ama liberal on most issues, but when it comes to children I am very conservative. I believe in doing WHATEVER is necessary to protect them, which INCLUDES educating them, whether or not their parents are too ignorant to understand why. . . I don't believe in punishing the child because of the parents. . . I am consistant on this, whether it is sex education, pedophilia or drunk drivers. . . Anything that harms children is a priority to fix.

You can ALWAYS take your kids and homeschool them, so they grow up to be just like you! But those in the public education system should be afforded the best education possible, so they ahve a chance at a productive life and so they understand the consequences of having sex, protected or otherwise. . . > Condoms aren't 100%, but ignorance is!
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 714
Posted: 9/2/2008 1:51:34 PM

Actually, I a speaking from personal experiendce

yeah, we all need to stop thinking in terms of our "personal experience" and regionalism, etc. You can't make policy decisions for the nation based on your own little slice of life, devoid of all statistics. The religious right wants you to believe this and to believe that dogma is a better guide than trying to sift through all kinds of confusing and conficting data from all different parts of the country in making a decsion, but the fact is, it's crazy to do so.

When will conservatives start talking about monetary policy again and let people choose their own social and religious lifestyles?
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 715
Posted: 9/2/2008 1:53:45 PM
No matter what our opinions on passing out condoms, sex ed and how to prevent STD education, the facts remain. Kids are going to have sex whether they are educated about it or not, whether they have good communication with their parents or not, whether they wear a purity ring or not. It is human nature and I think we can all agree that teenagers have been having sex since the world produced teenagers. Alaska has one of the highest teen STD rates in the country, and a high, though dropping, teen pregnancy rate. That right there should tell Mrs. Palin that her abstinence only mindset is not the best way.

To the posts below me....

So where are the condoms? I'll tell you where. They're at the health department because most schools are not allowed to pass them out.

And as far as where you think her passions come from, no one can answer that but Mrs. Palin. Dontchya think she got a little slap in the face with this news that she's gonna be a me-maw? I don't care where she got her ideals from, they are ineffective. And not educating our teens and equipping our teens with the proper education and prophylactics is doing them a huge disservice. I wonder how many of those girls in Alaska are walking around with chlamydia and either don't know it or not getting rid of it because they don't have condoms available. You do know that undiagnosed and/or untreated chlamydia can cause infertility, don't you?

Kiss my Karma: My only point is that schools were put into place to educate - read, write, critical thinking - We and our teenagers are most definitly broken - unfortunately we cannot agree on how to fix it - sad. I dare say - God

I agree that we and our teenagers are broken. I agree that it is the schools' job to educate with reading and writing. However, when parents like the Palin's don't do their parental duties because they think their little sons and daughters are perfect angels and will wait for sex, it is wrong. So the schools step in and teach sex ed, because it is the smart and right thing to do.

And guess what? If my kids need fixing, maybe your God isn't who I turn to. So why would that be the answer for my kids?
 MacKevinized
Msg: 716
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 2:03:28 PM

Your personal experience is not the issue. The reality of rates of teen pregnancy and STDs in this country is.

Actually it says more about McCain's selection ability for a running mate. Then getting caught with a minimalist vetting process.

McCain has now cancelled an interview with CNN about Palin because the reporter asked "What decision has Sarah Paylin ever made reguarding Alaska's National Guard.

The McCain spokesperson got all huffy and said stuff praising Palin but never answered the question. The reporter asked again and got no answer and now McCain has canceled an interview he had scheduled tonight.

They don't want to admit she has no experience in foreign affairs or her own national guard.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 717
Posted: 9/2/2008 2:09:44 PM

McCain has now cancelled an interview with CNN about Palin because the reporter asked "What decision has Sarah Paylin ever made reguarding Alaska's National Guard.

Actually, this is pretty damn serious.

McCain is giving up a chance to speak to potential voters in order to punish a network for letting a tough question get through. Political campaigns need press, but there's a lot of press chasing one story. So the press needs the candidates more.

This is freaking scary, and is one of the scariest aspects of the current administration. They blackballed good journalists, and Bush called on male prostitutes by name for soft ball questions. They avoided public scrutiny. Now it looks as though a McCain administration would do the same.
 Just_2_b_me
Msg: 718
Posted: 9/2/2008 2:14:29 PM
Well I just got back from a little vacation and Wow how exciting

Sarah Palin for Pres in 2016

I haven't read all 50 something pages, so Ill touch on just a few of my thoughts on her experience.

A Mayor and Governor has to take a stance on everything that comes before them. Senators have the luxury of being able to vote "Present" or just ignore the vote altogether. Anything to avoid making a controversial commitment. Which has real executive experience? What about an editor of the law review that wrote no opinions? How about a lecturer at a major college where faculty publish papers frequently yet contributes nothing. In fact, only writes about themself. All to remain a "plain wrapper" throughout their career so nobody could question a stance on an issue. This is what one does when they decide, early on, to be a politician. Some people have strong opinions and feel they can better society. Others just want the power and prestige. They groom themselves to be "everyman" so to better themself. Which sounds like too many Washington politicians?

Also:
I would like to remind you of the Founding Fathers intention that our leaders come from the private world, and return to such after serving their term(s).

Barredbard
Msg: 719
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 2:17:33 PM
Well. Personally, I feel that parents who feel strongly about their children being exposed to the 'pleasures' of sex education should be allowed to excuse their children from such participation in schoold. No one should be compelled to raise their child in a way that offends their religious, moral, 'culinary' or traditional beliefs. A nice middle of the road opinion - so to speak. That way, when a child does find that 1 + 1 does indeed = 2 as they learn in basic arithmetic, the parents would not feel as though society played a hand in corrupting the minds of their chaste and pure offspring. However, and not to be crude, the preaching of abstinence does little to stem the instant discomfort in the trousers of young men as they achieve puberty. Or the urges of young women as they discover empowerment and bliss. As a catholic ,my father preached abstinence to us, and my siblings and I paid heed insofar as we made sure we discovered heaven far, far away from home. As the penance that my father paid for his fiery beliefs, we never admitted that we had committed a cardinal sin - well, several times over, in our adolescence. Nor were we ever - even when we had raided his liquor cabinet and were pissy drunk - foolhardy enough to confess that we had engaged in that rather delightful sin. The guilt always set in afterwards, but it was never potent enough in intensity to diminish the rather debilitating pleasure we had discovered by 'accident.'

Thing of it is, time has changed everything. It is a hard cruel reality, but nevertheless the gospel truth. There are positive things about living in current times. The advent of the automobile, discovery of electricity, of the George Foreman's grill (my personal favorite , of boxes that talk (we call 'em radios), etc. I would rather be a peasant today than the esteemed King Henry of England 200 years ago who, despite his rather rotund stature, had to contend with riding a horse and using a pit latrine. However, those conveniences came with some less palatable changes. The discovery of the birth control pill turned secretive apprehension into sweltering confidence. Evidence of bliss could be banished with as little effort as the swallowing of a pill. Women were no longer required to cover themselves in voluminous garments that billow out in the wind and which presumably hid their tantalizing shapes. Villages developed into towns, with staggering populations. The puritans lost their sensitivity. And while there was never a time that featured the complete absence of pregnancy in the young 'uns, the popluation explosion was sure to exaggerate and exacerbate these incidents.

Bottom line? I would never attempt to resist change. It is an uphill task, with little, if any rewards. All the preaching in the world didn't make Palin's teenage daughter desist from sex. (Sorry, it was such a tantalizing example). And she comes from a solid Christian background. Children have proven themselves to be remarkably resourceful - and resilient to coercion. That which we cannot curtail, we should mitigate. And so preaching the wisdom of abstinence, while emphasizing the crucial role of condoms might be the right balance that would serve to 'ram home' (no pun intended, of course) the penalty for careless indulgence in coital relations. I doubt that anyone doubts the appeal of complete abstinence. But this might be difficult to achieve, in any case...
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 721
Posted: 9/2/2008 2:35:52 PM

When will conservatives start talking about monetary policy again and let people choose their own social and religious lifestyles

EXACTLY! That's why sex ed and condoms as a parent is MY choice for my children, not the state's!!! Yeah well stated thatswhatshesaid.

Just as some democrats and liberals feel it is THEIR choice for their children not to have to pray in school? So why is one choice more 'right' than the other?
 mjk21258
Msg: 723
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 3:13:58 PM

Actually, I a speaking from personal experiendce - you are the one who thinks every kid out there is having sex - sex education is my job - not the schools - anyone who thinks the school should take charge of their kids sex ed, is simply lazy - sorry that my opinion touches such a nerve with some of you - wonder why that is? I'm sure there is a reason - always is one

Claudiac, this isn't just about you and your kids, it is about all the children. And just because someone thinks sex ed should be taught in schools, doesn't mean they aren't teaching it at home themselves. When my daughter was old enough to read, one of the first books she read was "Where do babies come from?" Both of my children knew they could talk to their mother or I about sex. They are now 30 and 27 and neither is a parent yet, they will become a parent when they are good and ready, no accidental pregnancy for them.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 724
Posted: 9/2/2008 3:24:16 PM
Obama just gave wall to wall speaches all last week. He didn't just introduce a completely unknown candidate, picked by one guy on a lark, to the american voting public.

Other than People magazine, Palin has not given and interview or made an appearance since Saturday. Not a single opportunity to ask her directly about her record or her positions while they hole up and wait for people like you to "bond" with her and defend her based on no knowledge at all whatsoever.
 Kaos86
Msg: 725
Posted: 9/2/2008 4:19:25 PM
To attack the war hero ~ is about like attacking Palin pregant daughter ~ something I personally would not want to do ~ but if I must ~

A Scary comment ...but more so ...Sad!

So McCain is no war hero ~ just a guy that got his ass in a tight spot and barly made it out alive. ~~ could he have stayed home? ~ yes ~~ so respect him for that.

Just one more decision Mccain has to live with. ~ I personally think he's used all the war hero business up

McCain chose to stay in the prison camp with severe injuries and suffered beatings as a result so that others who arrived before him could leave.
Any one who serves in my book is a HERO.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]