Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 752
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah PalinPage 31 of 104    (17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57)
The problem is that no one wants to stop there, at allowing others' their beliefs. The people who want prayer want prayer, not a moment of silence. They say "the constitution says freedom of religion, not freedom from religion"....meaning that if we don't all have their religion, we must be wrong. I think there are too many religions to have any of them be mainstream, part of the day's activities in schools. After school groups, ok. A moment of silence so you can pray or contemplate, fine. Even letting Jewish students wear their yarmulkes or allowing Islamists to go pray during one of the 5 times a day they pray should all be allowed, but don't expect everyone to do it. Kind of a change of tune from "what we need is, dare I say God" all of a sudden. But at least it's making sense to me now. lol
 Barredbard
Msg: 753
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 9/2/2008 7:55:03 PM
Nomadic...I am delighted! Anyone that knows the latin name of 'Our Lord's Prayer' is one to pay heed to. However, I disagree with you. Fundamentally. We inherited our legacy directly from Great Britain. At the time - all the founding fathers - great and small, were Christians. Presumably even the roaches and other minor biological fauna acknowledged and reflected this religious persuasion. The fledling nation that they set out to devise by the aid of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights were based on Christian notions of piety, fairplay and justice. It does not murder our diversity to have our history reflected in the training facilities for our youth. In every country in the world, children are exposed to whatever religion their ancestors practiced, if only while in elementary. Whether it is Isreal, Bora-bora, Paraguay or England. History is intertwined with culture, and to understand our culture - any culture - you need a firm grounding in history. I doubt that there is anyone currently in the US that does not know of its predominantly Christian history. Otherwise it would be a discrimination for virtually the entire nation to not work on Christmas day, whereas other religious holidays are not honored quite so devoutely. And in the same vein, in the name of diversity, we should become the tower of babel, and give up English as our Lingua Franca. This would mean speaking all the conceivable languages that we have in the cauldron that we call the US, including Hebrew, Arabic, a myriad of African dialects, etc. I am sure you can see the practical hurdle that this would impose. So rather than entirely denying our children any exposure whatsoever, I advocate that we at least expose them to that which was our forefathers' preoccupation, upon which the country was established....
 polargrape
Msg: 754
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 8:06:31 PM
The bible is NOT banned from all campuses... that's just a foolish statement.

Not having prayer in school does not equate to depriving someone of their Constitutional or any other private rights.

No one is stopping these children from praying in the home with their loved ones before leaving for school. Why is this not a good time? Why is sharing a morning prayer with mom, dad and your siblings not good enough? Why does it fall on the schools to provide this prayer time?

No one is stopping little Jimmy and Jenny from taking a moment between classes... or during study hour to reflect on their faith and pray.

Why must it be all inclusive? Why must other children... regardless of their belief... endure the sharing of a group prayer?
 capegardengirl
Msg: 755
Posted: 9/2/2008 8:07:10 PM
leanworks: "she has more than the democratic presidential candidate has...Her 18 yr old son is going to Iraq"......My 21 yr old nephew is going to Iraq..Does that mean his mother has more foreign policy experience than Obama simply because her son is going to Iraq?.....Get real here?!!!...Palin was busy having 5 babies and winning beauty contests while Obama was working in the trenches in inner city Chicago helping families...I know who has more experience ...and it sure isnt her.
 Barredbard
Msg: 756
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 8:09:32 PM
Charles....I am sure you must have realized by now that I am advocating such teachings at our schools not because of any deeply rooted belief in Christianity. As a black person, my hypocrisy certainly has very finite limits, and Christianity has its fair share of major flaws. However I do not feel that children should be deprived of any aspect of history, including that which we may disagree with or find distasteful. Children are astute and perceptive, and in time they should find no difficulty in taking a bite from the forbidden fruit, thereby learning to decipher right from wrong on their own account...
 faith2565
Msg: 758
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 8:19:35 PM
No we all need to be VP candidates. I have a masters degree and about to finish my PH.D. My son is in Iraq and he was a single father before he enlisted. I am pro-life, but would never vote that way because I feel a woman has a right to chose and I am a single parent.

I am a combination of Obama/Biden/Palin.

I fill of the shoes black female worked her way up from a single mother of three kids with no college education about to be a doctor and I am a year younger than Palin also an administrator.

I needed that laugh!

Obama/Biden 08
 exodusi1
Msg: 759
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 8:21:12 PM
I concur with the astute historian. . .
 Barredbard
Msg: 760
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 8:23:27 PM
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I cherish history as well, and I have a permanent impression of the birth of the colonies, when puritans established them in order to practice their religion free of the excesses to be found in their former metrpolis. Many of such reminders are still in evidence today, such as the origina significance of the state of 'Maryland.' The founding fathers undoubtedly set out to devise a constitution that would rectify the excesses in England, which was why the seperation of church and state was so dear to their hearts, and darn the Archbishop of Canterbury! Still. Their primarily protestant persuasion ruled their lives, and they treated Catholics and other denominations (still do to some degree) with ill concealed suspicion. Taking all that into consideration, I believe this to be an indelible part of American history, and one that should not be lost. I am sure you can see that as a black catholic, I have little to gain by that point of view. I am doubly a minority in that regard....
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 761
Posted: 9/2/2008 8:24:26 PM
Faith, you would make an AWESOME VP.
 faith2565
Msg: 762
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 8:24:31 PM
You guys please do not get this thread closed the topic is not prayer.

Love Ya!
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 763
Posted: 9/2/2008 8:28:25 PM
Jo Ann Davidson refered to Palin at the RNC as Sarah Pawlenty.

If only!!!!
 faith2565
Msg: 764
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 8:33:03 PM
They are getting confussed. This is really funny
 geeleebee
Msg: 766
Posted: 9/2/2008 8:35:29 PM

I think that Barredbard states it most eloquently - prayer in school was a most accepted part of our countries tradition - the atheist came along and cried he was offended by God -

Uhh...you are mistaken. Atheists are NOT offended by God--they don't believe in God--hence the term 'atheist'. Look it up in your Funk and Wagnell--it's there--under, 'I don't believe in God, therefore, I cannot be offended by God'.

Sarah Palin is among the worst decisions the Republicans have made. Seriously, consider for a sane nano-second the image of her sitting in the Oval Office, having to make the decisions that govern our country with only the mayoral duties of a 'blink and you miss it' town, and 18 months as Govenor. Seriously.
 Barredbard
Msg: 767
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 8:42:51 PM
'Well, you can disagree as much as you like'

A rather cheap dig, and one that was rather uncalled for, given that I was rather civil about my dissent. Not entirely unexpected, I suppose, given that I have come to expect such from folks unable to express themselves in a more cordial manner, latin name for 'Our Lord's Prayer,' notwithstanding. Well, each to his/her own counsel. I am off to bed, where I shall dream of the redoubtable Ms. Palin...
 Outdoor2
Msg: 769
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 8:58:38 PM
I also attended a boarding school (non denominational) although I didn't "board" as it was only a 3 mile walk to school each day. I did attend the odd meal where those words were spoken, yet found them lacking in sincerely...as was the response..."Amen" was more of a signal to eat than a true acknowledgment of thanks.
Civil, right and proper, perhaps...but if done without sincerity...rather hippocratical if you ask me. I always thought (and still do) that farmers should be given equal footing. At the very least acknowledgment.
Christendom may hold these prayers as neutral...accepting the fact within....
As do many prayers within the various sects of all religions....

Perhaps....just maybe....someday....all religious (and non denominational) groups will once and for all realize that religious adherence is the least of our collective worries...and that our innate humanity towards others and the planet (and all it's species) we live on is vastly more important...pipe dream maybe...or ONE (meaning) ALL...can

IMAGINE

Tucker somethingorother

Carlson perhaps?
 exodusi1
Msg: 770
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 9:04:28 PM
Char;

I saw that interview live, taped it. . . THANK GOD FOR TIVO!!!

It was amazing, Tucker Bounds was speechless. . . If you don't find a transcript or clip, let me know, I'll see what I can do.
 geeleebee
Msg: 772
Posted: 9/2/2008 9:06:37 PM

“The facts are that Sarah Palin has made more executive decisions as a Mayor and Governor than Barack Obama has made in his life. Because of Hillary Clinton's historic run for the Presidency and the treatment she received, American women are more highly tuned than ever to recognize and decry sexism in all its forms. They will not tolerate sexist treatment of Governor Palin.”

Ummm...I seem to recall that then-Mayor Palin didn't have voting privileges; what 'executive' decisions did she make???
And...does anyone else suspect that Palin was chosen partly for her looks? If so, then wouldn't that be construed as 'sexist'???
Just checkin'...
 exodusi1
Msg: 773
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 9:11:02 PM
Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYYiw_y2qDI

Tucker is a complete moron!
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 775
Posted: 9/2/2008 9:18:46 PM
When I was young I was head of a Boy Scout troop. I could be president. And I want faith2565 for VP.

Obama/Biden 08 - Two minds are better than none.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]