Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 776
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah PalinPage 32 of 104    (18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58)
I wonder how the world is viewing this pick of Sarah Palin. They have GOT to be laughing at us.
 geeleebee
Msg: 777
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 9/2/2008 9:39:25 PM
Wow...just...wow...Campbell Brown served Tucker Bounds up on a plate of fried rice...I'm beginning to think 'conspiracy theory'...surely the Republicans can't be serious?!? This HAS to be some kind of master plan for McCain to single-handedly tank the GOP...then skip away into the night, giggling like a maniac.
 geeleebee
Msg: 778
Posted: 9/2/2008 9:42:35 PM

geeleebee - did someone suggest a particular God to you?

Nope. And don't.
I'm all about people having a conversation with God--or Gods--or gods--I am all about people believing in whatever diety--or none--that they choose.
I am NOT all about having someone else's religion/God/god/prayers being force-fed to me--or to anyone.
 geeleebee
Msg: 780
Posted: 9/2/2008 9:50:57 PM

Then there should be no studies of eastern religions, taught in public schools either..... of course we're on the university level now, but off limits, is off limits isn't it? No mention whatsoever ever ever of any religion, or culture that is attached to a religion - hmmmm very inlightening..........

If your statement enlightens you, then congratulations.
Teaching about world religions is a great thing, in my opinion, and it's something that is taught at the high school where I work.

As a person who adheres to the Buddhist philosophies, and as a person who has friends who are Jewish and Muslim, I strongly recommend that all religions be studied. Studying about a religion is vastly different from being told to pray, and to which God.
Right?
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 781
Posted: 9/2/2008 9:57:25 PM
Re: Republicans and ^^^^^^... just heard Chris Matthews say " Democrats fall in love and Republicans fall in line." (In regards to Sarah Palin) He was talking about the GOP being very disciplined. They do exactly as their told. Which I find sort of interesting. It seriously seems that just about every person I've ever met that is a republican has this really, really strange hard line stance NO MATTER WHAT. I have a good friend of mine who I've worked with for years. Great guy. Republican. But when it comes to politics he has this hardcore IMMOVABLE view of things that I just can't seem to rationalize. Despite unquestionable proof. He and I are both Christians too. It's weird. I find it a very, very fascinating... phenomenon. I asked this question earlier "is there some type of secret talking point memo along with a set of blue pills sent out to every registered republican?" Its almost as if they're robots. (I don't mean any offense to anyone.) Of course there's exceptions but as a whole they all seem EXACTLY the same. I see those who call themselves independents who act just like the name implies. Us Democrats seem to be somewhat sway-able (lack of a better term) here and there but repubs? Cement bricks. Amazing. Can someone help me out with this reality? Or is it just me that sees this?
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 782
Posted: 9/2/2008 10:05:58 PM

Then there should be no studies of eastern religions, taught in public schools either..... of course we're on the university level now, but off limits, is off limits isn't it? No mention whatsoever ever ever of any religion, or culture that is attached to a religion - hmmmm very inlightening..........

I'm sure you've heard of courses in comparative religions. I mean, they're all over the place. You want to teach christianity or zen or anything else in that context, that's fine. But prayer in public schools? NEVER.
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 785
Posted: 9/2/2008 10:30:07 PM
^^^^Hilarious! Just watched some women on CSPAN say she couldn't vote for Obama because of his middle name. Astonishing. As I've stated in another thread just say you can't vote for the guy because he's black. Why even bother saying anything as stupid as you can't vote for someone because of their middle name. Talk about fear. Geeez. If somehow McCain/Palin win this election, the world will consider us to be the most moronic collection of human beings ever assembled in one place, the USA. Offensive? Yes, but if we get fooled 12 years in a row, we can't dispute ANY countries claims of us being dumb Americans. Lets hope this isn't the case. I strongly believe and hope that enough people in this country are dissatisfied with the way things are to actually VOTE for change. And by change I mean Obama/Biden presidency. In the now famous words of Sarah Palin... "Yup Yup!"
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 786
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 10:45:37 PM
^^^ I'll go along with the moment of silence.

But I want evolution and sex-ed in return.

Deal! Sex Ed was never my issue, it was the condoms. No condoms without parental consent - sign on the dotted line!

I'm late to this tangent, but I'd sign on to that deal.

I've never had a problem with a moment of silence. For a couple of years we started every day that way when I was in high school. I used to use it to simply gather my thoughts and try to put myself in the right frame of mind to face the day.

I'm one of those "spiritual but not religious" types. Over the years I've developed my own spiritual practices that work quite well for me. I share them with anyone interested, but feel no urge whatsoever to try to recruit others to do the same. I've come to suspect that the spiritual energy I tap into is the same source that inspired others to start all the various religious faiths, but I've noticed that all too often the practice of those faiths abandons the simple concept of respect, tolerance, and even valuing the diversity of other spiritual practices.

That respect, tolerance, and celebration of diversity extends as well to those who choose not to be spiritual in any sense. So as long as schools don't try to discriminate for or against specific faiths and practices a simple moment of silence in my view is a good thing.

Our schools should give our children the foundation to build the rest of their lives on. We should give them all the tools we can to help them chart their own paths through life, without over-directing which way those paths may lead.

So of course we should teach science to reflect the best knowledge of modern day science, including evolution. Of course we should teach sex education. We may not all make use of calculus or wood shop or become musicians or artists, but just about all of us engage in sex.

Whether to hand out condoms or not I think should be left to the local school board or school administrators to decide. As a former teacher, I know too well the perils of excessive micromanagement of classroom and school practices by outside entities.

Wandering back on topic, when Palin was first chosen I posted fairly supportive words about her. The more I learn, the more I think she's a bad choice as a potential VP. More importantly, I worry that the haphazard, hurried method of her selection may be indicative of how McCain would make other important decisions as a President, which makes me all the more certain that Obama is a better choice.

'nuff said.

Dave
 MacKevinized
Msg: 787
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 4:48:24 AM
Right now any one can go to the Alaska and can find out the stuff Palin has done in her administrative duties

She signs papers to make stuff legal.

She signs bills that allow big oil companies to tear up parts of the environment. She tries to get the legislature to pretend polar bears are not endangered so oil companies can pay more taxes to her state and claims she's on a mission from god.

She signed a paper that she pushed through that had provisions to insure all government expenditures be submitted as earmarks. which provides a conflict with due diligence and openings for corruption to become legal. She loved getting almost 8,000,000.00 in earmarks for her city of 6,500.

She fires people that aren't "Part of the team" supporting her political agenda.

She's never worked to find jobs for people in her state, she doesn't like paying for anything that might help the average people in her state like education and transportation. She depends on Big oil to pay for everything in her state.

Tonight she will have to be on her perkiest behavior for 20 minutes to a crowd like she's never seen and there will be millions of people expecting to see.....

It's going to be fun to watch the reactions of her new cult justify every flaw or deny it's relevance when compared to someone with a lifetime's experience with law and irrefutable proof of helping people change their lives for the better.

I just saw her being trained how to use the teleprompters. From her demeanor, I'm guessing your going to hear some queasiness emanating through the almost shrill delivery.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 788
Posted: 9/3/2008 5:56:59 AM
Oh, I'm sure she'll do great. These religious fanatic/egomaniacs love to address their base. It the rest of the country, the media, the more spontaneous campaign trail where they get queasy. After all, the woman has been practicing her speech for 4 days and nothing else. Its not like she wrote the speech or anything. It cuts down on the work when you are only expected to act.

As for the woman who can't vote for obama because his middle name is "hussein" well, she just cost me ten dollars. Everytime "hussein" comes up with a negative connotation, I donate 10 bucks to barack hussein obama's campaign. Apparently, millions of others are playing the same game as me.

But I don't think "muslim" or "hussein" is supposed to play on people's racism, rather their xenophobia. Its really pretty clever and they have pursued the strategy with much energy. They mention it constantly. (Though I don't remember in 1992 even one of them saying clinton should be president because his middle name was jefferson, and jefferson was a president's name)

It's too bad the gop can't put this kind of thought into, oh, I don't know, say...propper oversight of our financial sectors?
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 789
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:11:38 AM
Thanks Nero1 this was HILARIOUS yet so captures the Republicans this election.

~ Republicans Rush In ~
By Richard Cohen
Tuesday, September 2, 2008; A15

One of the great sights of American political life -- a YouTube moment if ever there was one -- was to see the doughboy face of Newt Gingrich as he extolled the virtues of Sarah Palin, a sitcom of a vice presidential choice and a disaster movie if she moves up to the presidency: "She's the first journalist ever to be nominated, I think, for the president or vice president, and she was a sportscaster on local television," Gingrich said on the "Today" show. "So she has a lot of interesting background. And she has a lot of experience. Remember that, when people worry about how inexperienced she is, for two years she's been in charge of the Alaska National Guard."

It's a pity Gingrich was not around when the Roman Emperor Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, better known by his nickname Caligula, reputedly named Incitatus as a consul and a priest. Incitatus was his horse.

John McCain's selection of Palin, which I first viewed with horror, could now be seen in a different light. Based on various television interviews over the Labor Day weekend -- and a careful reading of the transcripts -- it is possible that this is McCain's attempt to make fools of his fellow Republicans. He has succeeded beyond all expectations.

Gingrich's point about Palin being commander in chief of the Alaska National Guard has been echoed throughout the GOP. In fact, even Cindy McCain pointed out -- rightly enough -- that Alaska is across the Bering Strait from Russia and so Palin, by deduction, has been on the front lines of the Cold War . . . had it not ended in 1989.

Still, you have to admit that in all that time, especially since Palin became governor about two years ago, no Russian invasion force has come across the strait, maybe because she was in charge of the Guard, maybe because she herself is a hunter and an athlete. The record is unclear because no high-ranking Russian appeared on any of the weekend talk shows to say how they had considered an invasion of Alaska and then backed off when Sarah Palin became commander in chief of the Alaska National Guard. Who could blame them?

Just to show that he would not ask of others what he would not do himself, McCain came before Chris Wallace to sing Palin's praises. He said that he had "watched her record . . . for many, many years" which is, a prudent man might say, more years than she's had a record. McCain, as a fellow military man, did not mention Palin's tenure as the supreme commander of the entire Alaska National Guard, maybe because he thought it speaks for itself. If that's the case, he's right.

Probably the most depressing thing about Palin is not her selection but the defense of it. It has produced a parade of GOP spokesmen intent on spiking the needle on a polygraph. Looking right into the camera, they offer statement after statement that they hope the voters will swallow but that history will forget. The sum effect on the diligent news consumer is a feeling of consummate contempt for the intelligence of the American people -- a contempt that will be justified should Palin be the factor that makes McCain a winner in November.

One of the more heroic efforts at Palin worship came from the commentator-columnist William Kristol, the former chief of staff for Vice President Dan Quayle. He had to use the code word "traditional" three times in a single sentence to make his point: "It's a pretty amazing story of personal success, being at once a traditional woman who broke all of these traditional barriers, kind of the best of both worlds, if you believe in traditional values."

About the only Republican who seemed totally sincere about Palin was Grover G. Norquist, an anti-tax obsessive who once likened the argument that the estate tax affected only a very few people to the argument -- made by no one I can think of -- that the Holocaust also affected a relatively few people. "I mean, that's the morality of the Holocaust," he said only five years ago. Norquist called the selection of the anti-tax Palin a "wise" choice.

In 1959, the novelist Terry Southern published "The Magic Christian," a darkly comic tale based on the premise that people will do anything for money. The choice of Palin proves that people will also do anything for political power -- including rising early on a holiday weekend to make fools of themselves

What is apparent is that Palin cant run a state that has fewer people than some US cities let alone manage her family. Mccain's choice of her shows that he is not only desperate but also so sorely lacking in ideas that this is the best he could do! When in doubt he choose business as usual and Johnny Mac popped up and chose Palin.
Daddy Mac chose her because she's pretty. She is a gun carrying, super anti abortion under any circumstance, anti sex ed,anti tax, moose hunting, replacement for the son her father never had(perhaps this is why she has so many unresolved issues). She is a whole lot prettier than the other candidates. She is actually a govenor(the tiny population never occured to him as an issue to consider). She is alot younger than he.....then again, who isnt? She runs Alaska with an iron hand(by unethically firing any state employee she doesnt like, publicly condoning a crass sickening diatribe on a political rival-__great way to show she has deplomacy needed in world affairs, tying to get as many family members jobs and post as possible)She was a beauty queen. J0hnny Mac thinks as a world figure she'd fit right in......with Aleksandr Lukashenka,Than Shwe and Hu Jintao. Dispite not being lick Hillary in ANY way shape or form (outside of her "womanly form" Mccain or is it Mcclain because he is just as lost and like her book he is "Out On a Limb".But hey, she is pretty enough to get ol Johnny Mac's lil Johnny movin once again enough to prompt him to pick her.

Its time to take America back from these idiots and corrupt corporate lackeys.
Be wise ,vote Obama/Biden
 texasbaby
Msg: 790
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:58:05 AM
I feel as if I'm watching a bad movie here,,a political satire produced by some Mel Brooks wannabe.
I believe there is only a small chance that we will see a Republican in office next year. But, I keep thinking,, if the did win the election ~
She'll be sorry she sold the plane,, heck she's gonna need it to haul all her baggage to Washington!

tb
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 791
Posted: 9/3/2008 7:01:19 AM
A lackey and a shill is all she is. Even if you believe that she's a maverick reformer back in wasilla where she grew up and knows all the business owners, etc, how is she going to show up in washington all by herself and accomplish anything? She didn't bring a single advisor with her, just her kids and her wilderness story.

Now she's being prepped by the people she's supposed to be reforming.

Another headline on cnn today, the GOP rallies around palin. So she's a maverick reformer, who hardly any one in washington has EVEN MET and they're defending her? Why, because she going to stand up to them and reform them??????

Hilarious.
 Boricua Papi
Msg: 792
Posted: 9/3/2008 7:02:40 AM
This is coming down to PALIN and OBAMA. This is amazing! What would have more trascendency in history? The first black MAN president or the first WOMAN vice president? OBAMA is black but he is still a MAN. The first WOMAN vice president of the most powerful nation on earth is more of trascendency!! Even NOSTRADAMUS saw it!
 Joeld49
Msg: 793
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 7:09:19 AM
marathonman11x7 (msg 1479)

But you have to admit, given that McCain selected Palin for his running mate, it would be hilarious (if it weren't so serious) to see who he would select for the Supreme Court if he were elected President.
 packleader
Msg: 794
Posted: 9/3/2008 7:24:11 AM
A front-page story in The New York Times on Tuesday and articles in other news media reported that Ms. Palin was a member of the Alaska Independence Party for two years in the 1990’s.

The information in the Times article was based on a statement issued Monday night by Lynette Clark, the party’s chairwoman, who said that Ms. Palin joined the party in 1994 and in 1996 changed her registration to Republican.

On Tuesday night, Ms. Clark said that her initial statement was incorrect and had been based on erroneous information provided by another member of the party whom she declined to identify. The McCain campaign also disputed the Times report, saying that Ms. Palin had been registered consistently as a Republican.

After checking the party’s archives, Ms. Clark said that she could find no documentation that Governor Palin had been a member of the party. She said Ms. Palin attended the party’s 1994 and 2006 conventions and provided a video-taped address as governor to the 2008 convention.
I find it interesting that the Times is backing off on this story~~~~~
 jelunc
Msg: 795
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 7:25:01 AM

My last post on the subject is simply the same one I started out with. I'm tired of repeating myself. One more time, and one more time only: Prayer SHOULD be ALLOWED in school, for those children who CHOOSE to pray.

And I only wish that this would be the last time I have to respond to ridiculous statements like this.
Prayer is allowed in school for any child (or adult) who wishes to pray. What is NOT allowed if for the Christians who think that this nation was formed for them to cause government employees to lead those prayers in a coercive move that influences thought concerning religion.
IMO, including "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance causes that to be a prayer. Not a view that many will admit, perhaps, I would say that since so many object to it being removed that they do think so, though. So there is one prayer you get said every day in schools all over the country.
This will probably NOT be my last post on the subject. I am darned tired of reading that people are not allowed to pray, or to say Merry Christmas, or whatever foolish supposition folks want to put forward in order to pretend they are persecuted.
Especially when they want to batter others with their beliefs.
 MacKevinized
Msg: 796
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 7:29:55 AM
Will someone actually be able to list Palin's accomplishments as Gov.

It seems that's the question to dodge today.

Will the voter's get to have an answer?

It's not sexist to ask, "Can you list her Accomplishments instead of stating she has some?"

What's the big secrete?

Are they afraid of what's in her past or afraid she's done very little?
 jelunc
Msg: 797
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 7:31:03 AM

I find it interesting that the Times is backing off on this story~~~~~

If the source, that the NYT thought was credible was shown to be otherwise what else would they do?
They have two choices.
1. keep quiet and try to find someone else who could confirm her membership, then insist that their original report was correct
2. retract their report
 Barredbard
Msg: 798
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 7:31:57 AM
'This is coming down to PALIN and OBAMA. This is amazing! What would have more trascendency in history? The first black MAN president or the first WOMAN vice president? OBAMA is black but he is still a MAN. The first WOMAN vice president of the most powerful nation on earth is more of trascendency!! Even NOSTRADAMUS saw it!'

That's right, even the paparazzi have come to the reluctant, but unanimous conclusion that Obama is in fact a man. In the quintessential Homo sapiens form. This, despite days of camping out by the john in the hopes of catching a glimpse of his private parts. While that's more than might be said for Michael Jackson, par exemple, I fail to see the point. 'Transcendency?' Ha! Palin is a woman, but she is still Caucasian. The first president in the 'leader of the free world' who isn't entirely of the Caucasian persuasion is more of a transendency. A wall-gecko foresaw this portentuous event in the glorious days of the erstwhile Civil War...
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 799
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 7:32:29 AM
Here's just one thing to think about, when looking forward to November.

Something like TWENTY-THREE Republican Congressmen are retiring this year .

Ten didn't bother showing up for the RNC convention.

To say that there's no hope I think would be an exaggeration. There is some hope. Clearly, the overall political landscape appears to be tilting Democratic right now.

- REP. JIM MCCRERY

We have a lot of members retiring, and it will be hard to win all of these seats of the Republicans, let alone knock off a few Democrats, in order to get back in the majority.

This is going to be a pretty good Democratic year. People are weary of the war. They're very upset about the economy, the subset of which is high gasoline prices. And they're very weary of the occupant of the White House, who happens to be a Republican.

REP. RAY LAHOOD

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/july-dec08/exodusgop_08-08.html

This is the dynamic that's making the odds of a Republican win in November look less and less probable, aided by things like the choice of McCain - and an exceptionally strong Democratic candidate that's no John Kerry.

I've read some reports of Democrats going into areas to sign up new voters, and promoting Obama. The initial reaction, when the door is opened, (and this seems to be happening a lot) is that people will make a big fuss at the door saying they'd never vote Obama or Democrat...and then they let them in, close the door, and give a big thumbs up.

It seems no one wants to be the first to put up an Obama sign in their yard, but once ONE goes up....others follow.

With all the vitrol here, and elsewhere, comparing Obama to everything evil under the sun, what I think may be happening is that we will see a reverse Bradley effect impacting on the vote.

Supporters, who don't want the potential of being hassled for being pro-Obama will "stealth" their way into the polls....and then vote for him.

So, in some ways, the massive barrage against Obama may actually cause Republican pollsters trying to get a feel for the electorate to be lulled into thinking they have more votes than they actually do.

Democrats are signing up one HECK of a lot of new voters, and the Republicans aren't. This also indicates the winds might be changing for the fate of Republicans.

Now, getting back to Palin, this isn't going to be nearly enough to compensate for what's occurring on the ground.

A "hard core " tag team of both candidates isn't going to be that palatable to centrist and independent voters - although it may hold the base. If anything, such a ticket may scare them off, as will an inexperienced VP selection running with a 72 year old man.

The reaction to Palin's selection isn't going to win women voters over, especially with her hard core values - which most women (and Americans) don't share.

The constant defense of her is going to take away from McCain's election team to do other things - with scant weeks to go.

In Alaska, several state leaders and local officials said they knew of no efforts by the McCain campaign to find out more information about Ms. Palin before the announcement of her selection, Although campaigns are typically discreet when they make inquiries into potential running mates, officials in Alaska said Monday they thought it was peculiar that no one in the state had the slightest hint that Ms. Palin might be under consideration.

“They didn’t speak to anyone in the Legislature, they didn’t speak to anyone in the business community,” said Lyda Green, the State Senate president, who lives in Wasilla, where Ms. Palin served as mayor.

Representative Gail Phillips, a Republican and former speaker of the State House, said the widespread surprise in Alaska when Ms. Palin was named to the ticket made her wonder how intensively the McCain campaign had vetted her.

“I started calling around and asking, and I have not been able to find one person that was called,” Ms. Phillips said. “I called 30 to 40 people, political leaders, business leaders, community leaders. Not one of them had heard. Alaska is a very small community, we know people all over, but I haven’t found anybody who was asked anything.”

The current mayor of Wasilla, Dianne M. Keller, said she had not heard of any efforts to look into Ms. Palin’s background. And Randy Ruedrich, the state Republican Party chairman, said he knew nothing of any vetting that had been conducted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/us/politics/02vetting.html?_r=2&pagewanted=2&oref=slogin

This is not a way to vet someone....

“They didn’t seriously consider her until four or five days from the time she was picked, before she was asked, maybe the Thursday or Friday before,” said a Republican close to the campaign. “This was really kind of rushed at the end, because John didn’t get what he wanted. He wanted to do Joe or Ridge.”

In the final stages, two Republicans familiar with the process said, Mr. McCain’s campaign manager, Rick Davis, emerged as a key advocate for Ms. Palin.

- Ibid

FAR from being McCain's first choice, she seems to have been Davis's.

She fired a lot of people :

WASILLA MAYOR FIRES POLICE, LIBRARY CHIEFS
pixel

pixel
Author: Stephanie Komarnitsky
Daily News Mat-Su Bureau

Staff
Date: January 31, 1997
Publication: Anchorage Daily News (AK)
Page: B1

Wasilla Mayor Sarah Palin fired the city's police chief and the library director without warning Thursday, accusing them of not fully supporting her efforts to govern. Irl Stambaugh and Mary Ellen Emmons said letters signed by Palin were dropped on their desks Thursday afternoon telling them their jobs were over as of Feb. 13 and that they no longer needed to report to work. Emmons has been the city's library director for seven years. Stambaugh has headed the police

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=AS&p_theme=as&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0F793F7424CACDD2&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM

And more ....

While Sarah was Mayor of Wasilla she tried to fire our highly respected City Librarian because the Librarian refused to consider removing from the library some books that Sarah wanted removed. City residents rallied to the defense of the City Librarian and against Palin's attempt at out-and-out censorship, so Palin backed down and withdrew her termination letter. People who fought her attempt to oust the Librarian are on her enemies list to this day. Sarah complained about the “old boy’s club” when she first ran for Mayor, so what did she bring Wasilla? A new set of "old boys". Palin fired most of the experienced staff she inherited. At the City and as Governor she hired or elevated new, inexperienced, obscure people, creating a staff totally dependent on her for their jobs and eternally grateful and fiercely loyal--loyal to the point of abusing their power to further her personal agenda, as she has acknowledged happened in the case of pressuring the State’s top cop (see below).

As Mayor, Sarah fired Wasilla’s Police Chief because he “intimidated” her, she told the press. As Governor, her recent firing of Alaska's top cop has the ring of familiarity about it. He served at her pleasure and she had every legal right to fire him, but it's pretty clear that an important factor in her decision to fire him was because he wouldn't fire her sister's ex-husband, a State Trooper. Under investigation for abuse of power, she has had to admit that more than 2 dozen contacts were made between her staff and family to the person that she later fired, pressuring him to fire her ex-brother-in-law. She tried to replace the man she fired with a man who she knew had been reprimanded for sexual harassment; when this caused a public furor, she withdrew her support.

She has bitten the hand of every person who extended theirs to her in help. The City Council person who personally escorted her around town introducing her to voters when she first ran for Wasilla City Council became one of her first targets when she was later elected Mayor. She abruptly fired her loyal City Administrator; even people who didn’t like the guy were stunned by this ruthlessness. Fear of retribution has kept all of these people from saying anything publicly about her.

When then-Governor Murkowski was handing out political plums, Sarah got the best, Chair of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission: one of the few jobs not in Juneau and one of the best paid. She had no background in oil & gas issues. Within months of scoring this great job which paid $122,400/yr, she was complaining in the press about the high salary. I was told that she hated that job: the commute, the structured hours, the work. Sarah became aware that a member of this Commission (who was also the State Chair of the Republican Party) engaged in unethical behavior on the job. In a gutsy move which some undoubtedly cautioned her could be political suicide, Sarah solved all her problems in one fell swoop: got out of the job she hated and garnered gobs of media attention as the patron saint of ethics and as a gutsy fighter against the “old boys’ club” when she dramatically quit, exposing this man’s ethics violations (for which he was fined).

As Mayor, she had her hand stuck out as far as anyone for pork from Senator Ted Stevens. Lately, she has castigated his pork-barrel politics and publicly humiliated him. She only opposed the “bridge to nowhere” after it became clear that it would be unwise not to. As Governor, she gave the Legislature no direction and budget guidelines, then made a big grandstand display of line-item vetoing projects, calling them pork. Public outcry and further legislative action restored most of these projects--which had been vetoed simply because she was not aware of their importance--but with the unobservant she had gained a reputation as “anti-pork”. She is solidly Republican: no political maverick. The State party leaders hate her because she has bit them in the back and humiliated them. Other members of the party object to her self-description as a fiscal conservative.

Around Wasilla there are people who went to high school with Sarah. They call her “Sarah Barracuda” because of her unbridled ambition and predatory ruthlessness. When Sarah's mother-in-law, a highly respected member of the community and experienced manager, ran for Mayor, Sarah refused to endorse her. As Governor, she stepped outside of the box and put together of package of legislation known as “AGIA” that forced the oil companies to march to the beat of her drum.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/09/an-wasillan-on.html

McCain's people put out this press release concerning Palin and the AIP :

Bumiller Writes Her Own Story

While the press scrambles to report on the process by which Governor Palin was offered the second spot on the Republican ticket, New York Times reporter Elisabeth Bumiller has opted instead to make up her own version of events. As the AP reports, "Sarah Palin voluntarily told John McCain's campaign about her pregnant teenage daughter and her husband's 2-decade-old DUI arrest during questioning as part of the Republican's vice presidential search, the lawyer who conducted the background review said." Yet according to Bumiller, yesterday's disclosures "called into question" how thoroughly Governor Palin had been vetted. Why the discrepancy? It seems one reporter actually reported the story, while Bumiller made up her own.

The AP quotes Steve Schmidt saying the campaign was prepared to send a "jump team" to the home state of whoever was selected for the second spot. But Bumiller has her own version: "A Republican with ties to the campaign said the team assigned to vet Ms. Palin in Alaska had not arrived there until Thursday, a day before Mr. McCain stunned the political world with his vice-presidential choice." A Republican with ties to the campaign? How about a Republican on the campaign? It's not as though the leadership of this campaign was unwilling or unable to talk to the New York Times, in fact, they were already on the record answering these questions.

And Bumiller writes that Governor Palin "was a member for two years in the 1990s of the Alaska Independence Party." Not true, and unsourced. Governor Palin has been a registered Republican since 1982.

Ms. Bumiller, if you'd like to try reporting instead of writing fiction, here's a link to our press line.

http://www.johnmccain.com/McCainReport/Read.aspx?guid=5f9faddd-4d87-4b78-a1e9-ef2826498d31

Now we have confirmed reports that her husband was a member of that party, and witnesses who claim to have seen her at their convention. Now, she could have been a guest, that's possible , right ? Just being by her husband's side ?

Then we have THIS :

And in 2008, as governor, she submitted a welcoming video to the AIP convention in Fairbanks. "Your party plays an important role in our state's politics," she said. "I've always said that competition is so good, and that applies to political parties as well… We have a great promise: to be a self-sufficient state." She closed by saying, "Good luck on a successful and inspiring convention. Keep up the good work, and God bless you.""

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/02/politics/animal/main4409075.shtml

We have a great promise: to be a self-sufficient state ?

Keep up the good work, and God bless you ?

That's a pretty clear statement that she's onside with them, isn't it ?

And this :

Sarah Palin, vice-presidential candidate for the Republican Party, was once a member of the Alaskan Independence Party (AIP), and may still be sympathetic with their mission, according to Lynnette Clark, Chairman of the AIP.

The AIP believes that the vote for statehood was invalid, and that there should be a vote on Alaskan secession.

Responding to a request for comment from the Western Standard, Clark wrote:

"Yes, Governor Palin was a member of the Alaskan Independence Party. She joined the Party and attended the AIP Statewide Convention held in Wasilla in 1994, along with her husband, Todd. In 1996 she changed her registration to Republican and Todd re-registered as undeclared, a registration he holds today."

Clark maintains that she, as Chairman of the AIP, is "not so excited about having [Palin] as a V.P. candidate," and added that she feels "somewhat betrayed as an Alaskan that she would attach herself to a candidate [John McCain] that has long held an opposing view to the development of our republic and its' resource wealth." John McCain has opposed efforts to permit drilling for oil in the Alaskan National Wildlife Reserve (or ANWR).

As for Palin's current views about the AIP, Clark wrote, "I cannot say where Governor Palin now "stands" regarding the AIP Platform, however, she did send a wonderful DVD from her office for the 2008 AIP Statewide Convention sharing her opinion of the importance of this Party."

http://westernstandard.blogs.com/shotgun/2008/09/sarah-palin-was.html

And this :

The McCain campaign has confirmed she visited the group's 2000 convention, and she addressed its convention this year, as an incumbent governor whose oath of office includes upholding the Constitution of the United States.

Palin's husband, Todd Palin, was a member of the party from 1995-2002 with a brief exception in 2000.

It's worth noting that Vogler isn't just some figure from ancient history. He is still being hailed on AIP's site this year, the same year Palin addressed the group's convention.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/aip_founder_professed_hatred_f.php

Volger ? The founder of that party ?

The founder of the Alaska Independence Party -- a group that has been courted over the years by Sarah Palin, and one her husband was a member of for roughly seven years -- once professed his "hatred for the American government" and cursed the American flag as a "damn flag."

The AIP founder, Joe Vogler, made the comments in 1991, in an interview that's now housed at the Oral History Program in the Rasmuson Library at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks.

"The fires of hell are frozen glaciers compared to my hatred for the American government," Vogler said in the interview, in which he talked extensively about his desire for Alaskan secession, the key goal of the AIP.

"And I won't be buried under their damn flag," Vogler continued in the interview, which also touched on his disappointment with the American judicial system. "I'll be buried in Dawson. And when Alaska is an independent nation they can bring my bones home."

At another point, Volger advocated renouncing allegiance to the United States. In the course of denouncing Federal regulation over land, he said:

"And then you get mad. And you say, the hell with them. And you renounce allegiance, and you pledge your efforts, your effects, your honor, your life to Alaska."

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/aip_founder_professed_hatred_f.php

So, it's not looking very good that Palin and McCain are going to be having Thanksgiving Dinner together with their families at the White House, if you get my drift.

It's certainly not looking good for any positive boost in McCain's perception regarding his decision making process, nor putting out press releases that seem to fly in the face of all the evidence already uncovered.

I say she's toast, or she will be the anchor that drags McCain down (in already rough seas) below the waves.

Time will tell, won't it.
 Just_2_b_me
Msg: 800
Posted: 9/3/2008 7:54:42 AM
Actually with all the squawking and crying those on the left are doing in regard to McCains VP pick, I think it just shows they are scared.

McCain just maneuvered himself onto Obama’s six o-clock and has blown his empty hot air balloon out of the sky.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]