Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 exodusi1
Msg: 827
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah PalinPage 34 of 104    (20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60)
First of all, the gloves ARE OFF.

She is NOT a lady, she is the Republican Candidate for Vice President. . .

If she CAN'T handle the tough freaking questions, she DOESN'T belong in the position.

So, it is time to play tough, to challange. . . The whole respecting a lady stuff is BS!

She is not qualified to be president, she pales in comparrison to Obama in education, leadership as well as understanding of how the world works. . . I represented more people than she did when I worked as a lobbyist for the Students at my University. I have more leadership and perhaps accomplishments, aside from the governorship!

If she can't stand up with the big boys, she's playing the wrong game!
 cncgandolf
Msg: 828
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 9/3/2008 10:58:10 AM
"as believers continually .... become more Christlike."

And herein lies the hypocrisy.

Christ healed many who were not and never became Christians. He came for all, not just Christians. He preached caring for all by all (The Samaratan cared) - Christian religion not required
Christ never ever attacked a country or killed anyone.
Christ forgave people whether they were Christians or not.
Christ called for love and peace - not hate and war

While these religions claim to preach being Christlike, several of their other tenets mandate that they must not be Christlike.

Many in the world live Christlike lives without ever knowing or becoming Christians. They live the way, the truth and the life instead of claiming they will and then not doing so.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 829
Posted: 9/3/2008 10:58:19 AM
She's the obama alternative for every redneck on these threads who posts about being turned down for dates because they have no education. There are pages and pages of POF threads where people are arguing they are smarter if they have no college diploma than if they do. So, republicans found "the common man" again and all these people who are in love with the fiction of a "self-made" wilderness "maverick" who lives in a state with low education, high sexual abuse, but awash in money actually understands the problems of a complex federal budget.

That group of people consider her total lack of exposure to any of the issues her highest qualification of all.

Meanwhile, McCain, so dedicated to including all americans in this election, picked a candidate that offers nothing on the 2 main issues concerning americans: 1. war in iraq/afghanastan and 2. the economy. Furthermore, pro-choice voters and environmentalist voters can't even consider voting for her, no matter how nice a person she is.
 exodusi1
Msg: 830
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 11:21:06 AM
OK, lets be very clear here!

Our troops ALWAYS do their job! Always have, always will! It isn't their fault they invaded the WRONG country.

Victory is NOT happening in Iraq, because there is no way to bring back the 600,000 to 1,000,000 innocent people killed there, nore to bring back the 4,500,000 refugees.

Second, because we invaded the WRONG country, Osama bin Laden is still at large.

Do we really need someone who DOESN'T understand the difference AGAIN???

Obama was right from the BEGINING on that issue!
 eeeo4U
Msg: 831
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 12:02:51 PM
Ex, I think 800,000 people were killed by Saddam's war with Khomeini, Gulf War I, his pogroms against minorities and finally by Gulf War 2. I don't think we killed that many ourselves in five years. I don't know if Osama is still alive or not...we need I guess to find that out first before McCain or Obama swear to get him...McCain to have a pineapple inserted up his rectum in Hell, Obama to bring him before a sympathetic UN Court. Saddam I guess should have been a bit less Saddam-like, probably would have saved his life. I think Sarah Palin, John McCain and Joe Biden can all claim to have a more than passing interest in Iraq, all of them having children either returned from there or on the way, unfortunately unless Barack has another half-brother we don't know about, he doesn't have a vested interest...
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 832
Posted: 9/3/2008 12:17:46 PM
I gotta say this... I'm getting increasingly tired of hearing on various news shows, articles etc... on how this woman's daughter having a baby is somehow... OKAY now. The Republican party has been touting family values for 30 years. If this were OBAMA'S daughters (of course if they were older) the outcry by the GOP would flood every single newspaper, television show, radio show, blog in the country as being the most egregious immoral act ever committed. HOW DARE he let his daughter get pregnant!!!! What kind of family is he running over there??!!! See, I told you. My god!!
It's hypocrisy of the highest order and its shameful. And far too often my Christian brothers and sister on the far right are guilty of it time and time again. We continually leave out compassion over and over and over. The foundation of what we believe.

As a Christian, I have become more and more annoyed by my Christian brothers and sister who are NOT following the teachings of what Christ preached which are adequately listed in the above earlier post. It's shameful. We as Christians are to lead by EXAMPLE! Our character should draw people to want to know Christ. ((Yes, I know some of you think its nonsense but whatever, thats another topic in another forum.. ANYWAY )) We are never told to SHOVE, LEGISLATE, MANDATE our beliefs on anyone. Ever. And to see Mrs. Palin try and ban books and /or potentially assist in legislating, mandating ideas on woman's choices is absurd! I'm personally PRO CHOICE- ANTI ABORTION. Meaning that a woman has the right to do whatever she wants with her body. Thats her God given free will. It does not mean that I agree with her right to terminate a pregnancy but its her choice. And thats something she has to deal with between her and God. It's none of my business. But to see politicians siding up with church leaders in an effort to appease each others interest be it financial and or morally is a shame! And embarrassing. I know this has been going on for years but man... damn.

My paster went off in church one sunday during the 2004 election ripping OTHER pastors who are siding up or mixing with politicians. She said (yes my pastor is a woman) that not only is it against man's law (which we are to respect-which Jesus himself specifically said to do in Matt 22:15-22) but it's AGAINST God's law to encourage or influence the congregation to vote for a particular candidate. This does not mean one can't pray with, pray for or minister to someone in politics but when you cross the line of leaning in a particular direction for said person you are breaking the law. I bring this up because I read an article yesterday where Palin's pastor said "I'm not telling you who to vote for but if you vote against THIS candidate, I have to question your salvation. I'm sorry. ) --btw- that was for a local election in Ak-- WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. My pastor always encouraged us to pray about our decisions, like with everything else. She said thats personal between US and God. And is none of HER (my pastors) business. And it should stay that way. It drives me crazy that many of us Christians are missing the point of what Christ taught. Yes we are to stand up about what we believe and yes we are to speak about it but our first order is to live a life in such a way that people will be drawn to you and compelled to ASK about it. For example, I get this usually wherever I work... I.E. hey, man... something's different about you. You always seem happy, no matter what. I then tell them why. Our character should do most of the talking. Just as Jesus character did.

What I'm seeing from so called EVANGELICALS (I hate that term with a passion) is a whole lot of religion. And Jesus stood AGAINST religion. I know some might have a hard time believing that but if you study the new testament it's clear. Our guide and influence is supposed to come from God and his word. If anything contradicts what's written in the Bible we are not to do it. So to watch Pastors, and other Christians be USED by the GOP and sometime DEMS (although that's rare as far as I can tell ) who TRUELY have NO INTEREST in what we believe in as far as getting OUR VOTE is insane. There was someone, a Christian dude, who spoke out and wrote a book last year about how Karl Rove and some of the Bush cronies LAUGHED at how stupid the Christian right was. This person I'm speaking of (can't remember his name for anything right now) worked in the white house and actually talked with George Bush who PROMISED to give and or commit upwards of I think 500 bil to help the poor all across this country. Through specific programs. He said that Bush told him face to face that he would do this. But only ended up giving close to 80 mil in programs. This person also went on to say that he heard Karl Rove and his cronies routinely joke and refer to the Christian right as the crazies or space cadets or some other derogatory term over and over again. This person was appalled and eventually quit his job at the white house. He said he was crushed because he believed as did most Christians- ((NOT ME!! LOL!)) did that the GOP would keep their word to help the poor and needy. ((I'm sorry I can't for the life of me think of his position or his name. He was on the Tavis Smiley show as well as Today, 60 minutes and I believe CNN. Anybody remember this? When I find it I'll post it))
Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that please don't confuse ALL Christians as being like those in the GOP or who the GOP presents. That's all. Whew! Had to get this off my chest. Damn.
 Kaos86
Msg: 833
Posted: 9/3/2008 12:23:19 PM
Back to the topic...

In November 2006, Palin was elected the governor of Alaska, becoming the first woman and youngest person to hold the office. She defeated incumbent Republican governor Frank Murkowski in the Republican primary and former Democratic governor Tony Knowles in the general election garnering 48.3% of the vote.
Certainly she will be the first female in the White House as VP.

Does anyone know if she will be the youngest VP in US history?
 jelunc
Msg: 834
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 12:32:57 PM
She is not going to be VP, at least not in '08, so no she will not be the youngest VP.
 Kaos86
Msg: 835
Posted: 9/3/2008 12:40:01 PM
In 2006, running on a clean-government platform, Palin defeated then-Governor Murkowski in the Republican gubernatorial primary. Her running mate was State Senator Sean Parnell. Senator Stevens made a last-moment endorsement and filmed a TV commercial together with Palin for the gubernatorial campaign.

In August, she declared that education, public safety, and transportation would be the three cornerstones of her administration. Despite spending less than her Democratic opponent, she won the gubernatorial election in November, defeating former Governor Tony Knowles 48.3 percent to 40.9 percent.

Palin became Alaska's first female governor and, at 42, the youngest in Alaskan history. She is a strong supporter of the U.S. Coast Guard. She is the first Alaskan governor born after Alaska achieved U.S. statehood and the first governor not inaugurated in Juneau; she chose to have the ceremony in Fairbanks instead. She took office on December 4, 2006, and has maintained a high approval rating throughout her term.

She sometimes broke with the state Republican establishment. For example, she endorsed Parnell's bid to unseat the state's longtime at-large U.S. Representative, Don Young.Palin also publicly challenged Senator Ted Stevens to come clean about the ongoing federal investigation into his financial dealings. Shortly before his July 2008 indictment, she held a joint news conference with Stevens, described by The Washington Post as being "to make clear she had not abandoned him politically."
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 836
Posted: 9/3/2008 12:47:55 PM
Sorry Kaos, but she probably won't make through the election. If FAUX NEWS is questioning her being on the ticket, what does that tell you...
Source below:
http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/09/03/eratner_0903/

How Long Will the Republicans Keep Bailin’ Palin?
I think the lady doth protest too much. Why are the Republicans having to rally and defend Sarah Palin’s family? The GOP delegates and flacks are having to dance now that we found out that her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant.

Isn’t this the party of sexual abstinence? For a minute there I thought she was related to Britney Spears’ sister Jamie Lynn, who is also 17 and was also pregnant. Before you know it, at this rate we will have a great TV reality show.

How long will Republicans keep bailin’ Palin?

She hits all the right demographics — mother of five children, gun toting and tax cutting — but the GOP needs to hit that 20 percent of the swing vote.

According to polls done by Frank Luntz and AARP the older swing voters are not swayed by Senator McCain’s pick. Many older voters feel that the pick is not authentic and is designed only to bring in voters. The Republicans are all on “Radio Row” here at the RNC convention singing out of the Palin song book.

It’s great music and sounds nice, but will this song be a one hit wonder or will it stick with the voters in November?
 eeeo4U
Msg: 837
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 12:53:49 PM
I actually recall the 800,000 figure as being Iraqis who died under Saddam.

There are a lot of people who may have been better for the ticket (Romney, Hutchison, et al) who turned down the chance to be VP with McCain. And it's difficult for anyone to make an omelet without breaking eggs, hence Palin's enemies coming forward. Her ex-brother-in-law tasered his stepson who was 10 years old...I have a 10-year-old grandson I've thought about doing worse to, he's ADHD and works at it but if I found out his stepfather tasered him his pink slip would have been delivered to him in the ICU!
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 838
Posted: 9/3/2008 12:55:21 PM
Ramdom thoughts (some admittedly loopy):

This pick is hurting the GOP. Their poll numbers are falling during their convention; they're keeping her under wraps and unavailable; stories keep coming out, and more are likely to follow.

So, will replacing her hurt their chances more than sticking with her? Keep in mind that she will "step aside for personal reasons" and not be officially pushed out if this happens.

And if this does happen, is it possible that McCain wanted this all along? He couldn't go into the convention with a pro-choice running mate, as there would be televised dissension. So if he picks an unsuitable person with the right extreme views for the base, he can show her off to the faithful, then pick someone he wants after.
 laxref41
Msg: 839
Posted: 9/3/2008 12:59:23 PM
I think you forgot to mention the fact that she is being investigated for using her political influence to force the Director of Public Safety to resign because he refused to fire her ex brother in law as a state trooper.

If she's so eager and willing to be vindictive as governor , what might she do when she is vice president... or worse, should something happen to McCain, she would be president.
 Kaos86
Msg: 840
Posted: 9/3/2008 1:00:14 PM
Palin has strongly promoted oil and natural gas resource development in Alaska, including in the Alaskan National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR), where such development has been the subject of a national debate. She also helped pass a tax increase on oil company profits. Palin has followed through on plans to create a new sub-cabinet group of advisers to address climate change and reduce greenhouse gas emissions within Alaska. When asked about climate change after becoming Senator McCain's presumptive running mate, she stated that it would "affect Alaska more than any other state", but she added, "I'm not one though who would attribute it to being man-made."
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 841
Posted: 9/3/2008 1:07:44 PM
^^^^^^^^^^that's cause she attributes EVERYTHING to God.
 mjk21258
Msg: 842
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 1:08:23 PM

freedom to accept or not accept Him. I accept, you don't have to - I allow you yours, don't take mine away either..

First let me say, I have no problem with a moment of silence.

Now Claudiac who is trying to take away your right to accept God and worship. Has anyone closed down your "House of Worship?" Even if there is no time set aside for a moment of silence in school, no one is saying people can't go to church, the temple, or mosque, are they? Or even pray at home.
 Skydds
Msg: 843
Posted: 9/3/2008 1:14:12 PM
Since the announcement, Palin has brought nothing but unwanted baggage to the ticket. She’s under investigation for corruption, has a mere year and a half’s worth of experience as Governor, and issues with her family, such as the pregnancy of her unwed 17-year-old daughter, have snowballed into front page news.

Buried beneath the avalanche of Palin is John McCain, the man who is supposed to be the focal point. There are those that believe, rather foolishly, that disenfranchised Clinton supporters will back Palin, but even Clinton herself has rejected comparisons made by Palin. Clinton and Obama may have their differences, but they are differences that are in no way as severe as those between Clinton and Palin, whose ideologies, no matter their gender, are vastly different.

At this point, the McCain campaign is in serious peril. There has even been talk of replacing Palin, though at this late hour that would most likely cause even more damage to the campaign’s credibility, which is already at a low point.
 exodusi1
Msg: 844
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 1:20:31 PM
How about a moment of science in Church? Where Churchgoers can contemplate the Big Bang Theory, Evolution and quantum physics?
 texasbaby
Msg: 845
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 1:26:40 PM
I'm impressed that she can dress out a moose! A MOOSE,, heck I can dress out a deer! I wonder if that would at least qualify me to be Governor of Texas. Look out Perry..

tb
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 846
Posted: 9/3/2008 1:48:29 PM
She is not qualified to be president, she pales in comparrison to Obama in education, leadership as well as understanding of how the world works. . . I represented more people than she did when I worked as a lobbyist for the Students at my University. I have more leadership and perhaps accomplishments, aside from the governorship!

Let's think about that one for a minute, shall we?

What do you think of Abraham Lincoln as a President? Most historians (real historians, I mean) rate him in the top 3. Abraham Lincoln had a grammar school education.

What do you think of Harry Truman as a President? Truman had no college degree, although he did study law at what is now University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law later on (but he did not get a law degree).

What do you think of George W. Bush as a President? Bush has an undergraduate degree from Yale, and an MBA from Harvard. Of all the graduate schools at Harvard, the MBA program is the HARDEST to get into.

Education is by far NOT the determinent of whether or not a person is smart, or has leadership skills.

If she can't stand up with the big boys, she's playing the wrong game!

No argument there, and everything I know about her shows me she CAN stand up with the big boys, and then some.

There are pages and pages of POF threads where people are arguing they are smarter if they have no college diploma than if they do. So, republicans found "the common man" again and all these people who are in love with the fiction of a "self-made" wilderness "maverick" who lives in a state with low education, high sexual abuse, but awash in money actually understands the problems of a complex federal budget.

Regular life experience can make up for a lot of educational deficits. No one is SMARTER without a college education than with one, but many people are smarter without a college education than other people who have one.

No doubt a person who is ALREADY intelligent may get a lot out of going to college, but higher education isn't going to make a dumbass into an intellectual. There is truth to the old cliche that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Meanwhile, McCain, so dedicated to including all americans in this election, picked a candidate that offers nothing on the 2 main issues concerning americans: 1. war in iraq/afghanastan and 2. the economy. Furthermore, pro-choice voters and environmentalist voters can't even consider voting for her, no matter how nice a person she is.

Well, she is the only one of the Presidential and VP candidates with executive experience. She is in charge of a militia, and Alaska's border is just a couple of hundred miles from Russia. She's also the only one to ever manage a state budget, and while her particular state is a small one, it has an $11.2 billion dollar operating budget (FY 2008), and ranks around 30th of all state budgets.

The combination of McCain's federal experience, and Palin's chief executive state experience gives them the edge. I think they nicely complement each other.

Does anyone know if she will be the youngest VP in US history?

No she isn't. John Beckinridge was the youngest VP (36 years old). Richard Nixon was 40. John C. Calhoun and Daniel D. Thompkins were 42. Al Gore was 44, the same age as Palin.

Teddy Roosevelt was also 42 when he became Vice President, and he took the oath of office as President just before his 43rd birthday after McKinley was assassinated. TR is the youngest man ever to hold the office of President, with Kennedy second, and Clinton 3rd.

I think you forgot to mention the fact that she is being investigated for using her political influence to force the Director of Public Safety to resign because he refused to fire her ex brother in law as a state trooper.

If he didn't he should have been fired. Palin's ex-brother-in-law drank in his police vehicle, admits firing a taser at his step-son, and had some other minor infractions like illegal hunting. What a scumbag. Here's an article about the allegations:

http://www.newsminer.com/news/2008/aug/15/public-safety-investigation-dogs-alaska-governor/
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 847
Posted: 9/3/2008 1:50:04 PM

We should remember that Palin is being touted as the anti-Washington politician and against porkbarrel spending.

1) she supported the building of the Alaskan "bridge to nowhere" up until it was exposed and momentum died.

2) she and her teams spent a ton of taxpayer dollars flying to DC to lobby Stevens the convict, for Alaskan earmarks!

And this is the real issue with Sarah Palin. She is being packaged as something she is not.

She may wish she could be fiscally responsible, she may even want to be, but her scant record shows that she has pretty much screwed up everything she's touched, even in a state where the only job of elected officials is to figure out how much of their huge yearly surplus they should send to the people each year and how much should be kept for civic projects.
 eeeo4U
Msg: 848
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 1:52:15 PM
OK, show me how even if McCain dies Palin can get abstinence-based sex-education and creationism into the school system. We had 8 years of Bush and I don't see the Ten Commandments or to make some of you happy, "Arbeit Macht Frei" hanging above the entrance to schools. After 8 years of Clinton, Hugh Hefner's Playboy Philosophy wasn't yet required reading, and 4 years of Jimmuh Cahtuh did not make the Protocols of the Elders of Zion part of the curriculum...
 Kaos86
Msg: 849
Posted: 9/3/2008 1:52:47 PM
Shortly after becoming governor, Palin canceled a contract for the construction of an 11-mile (18 km) gravel road outside Juneau to a mine. This reversed a decision made in the closing days of the Murkowski administration. She also followed through on a campaign promise to sell the Westwind II jet purchased (on a state government credit account, against the wishes of the Legislature) by the Murkowski administration for $2.7 million in 2005. In August 2007, the jet was sold on eBay for $2.1 million.

In June 2007, Palin signed into law a $6.6 billion operating budget—the largest in Alaska's history. At the same time, she used her veto power to make the second-largest cuts of the construction budget in state history. The $237 million in cuts represented over 300 local projects, and reduced the construction budget to nearly $1.6 billion.

In 2007, the Alaska Creamery Board recommended closing Matanuska Maid Dairy, an unprofitable state-owned business. Palin objected, citing concern for dairy farmers and a recent infusion of $600,000 in state money. Palin subsequently replaced the entire membership of the Board of Agriculture and Conservation. The new board reversed the decision to close the dairy. Later in 2007, the unprofitable business was put up for sale. No offers met the minimum bid of $3.35 million, and the dairy was closed. In August 2008, the Anchorage plant was purchased for $1.5 million, the new minimum bid. The purchaser plans to convert it into heated storage units.
 Skydds
Msg: 850
Posted: 9/3/2008 2:22:57 PM

And as far as the pregnant daughter, this would be a personal and a private family matter. Kids are not part of the political discussion. They are off limits.

What did McCain say about Bill Clinton's daughter?
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]