Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 851
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah PalinPage 35 of 104    (21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61)
She is not a reformer, and because McCain (who I truly believe does want to cut spending) has a short memory. He publically called Palin out in 2001-2002 for asking for over 2 million in earmarks for wasilla.

McCain Was Against Palin Before He Was For Her
stumble digg reddit del.ico.us news trust mixx.com September 3, 2008 01:36 PM

One of John McCain's main selling points as a government reformer is that the Arizona Senator sure hates him some earmarks. He hates them so much that he's been willing to call them out by name. As a Senator, McCain's published "pork lists" full up with government spending he's deemed wasteful. On the stump he has promised much more of the same, vowing to make Congress' major pork players "famous."

That brings us, again, to Alaska governor Sarah Palin. Long before McCain focused the national spotlight on Palin as his Veep pick, he was making her famous as a dedicated feeder at the pork barrel trough. As the Chicago Tribune details:

In 2001, McCain's list of spending that had been approved without the normal budget scrutiny included a $500,000 earmark for a public transportation project in Wasilla. The Arizona senator targeted $1 million in a 2002 spending bill for an emergency communications center in town -- one that local law enforcement has said is redundant and creates confusion.

McCain also criticized $450,000 set aside for an agricultural processing facility in Wasilla that was requested during Palin's tenure as mayor and cleared Congress soon after she left office in 2002. The funding was provided to help direct locally grown produce to schools, prisons and other government institutions, according to Taxpayers for Common Sense, a nonpartisan watchdog group.

McCain's surrogates contend that Palin had no other choice but to seek funding through Federal earmarks. McCain spokesman Taylor Griffin told the Trib that Palin said she was "disgusted" at the fact that "small towns like hers were dependent on earmarks." But the records actually show that "Wasilla had received few if any earmarks before Palin became mayor."
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 852
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 9/3/2008 2:32:01 PM
In 2007, the Alaska Creamery Board recommended closing Matanuska Maid Dairy, an unprofitable state-owned business. Palin objected, citing concern for dairy farmers and a recent infusion of $600,000 in state money. Palin subsequently replaced the entire membership of the Board of Agriculture and Conservation. The new board reversed the decision to close the dairy. Later in 2007, the unprofitable business was put up for sale. No offers met the minimum bid of $3.35 million, and the dairy was closed. In August 2008, the Anchorage plant was purchased for $1.5 million, the new minimum bid. The purchaser plans to convert it into heated storage units.

Kaos, thank you. Here is one more excellent example of how republicans of late think it's free market practice to pour 600k into failing businesses that are failing for a reason.
 Kaos86
Msg: 853
Posted: 9/3/2008 2:32:05 PM

McCain Was Against Palin Before He Was For Her
stumble digg reddit del.ico.us news trust mixx.com September 3, 2008 01:36 PM

One of John McCain's main selling points as a government reformer is that the Arizona Senator sure hates him some earmarks. He hates them so much that he's been willing to call them out by name. As a Senator, McCain's published "pork lists" full up with government spending he's deemed wasteful. On the stump he has promised much more of the same, vowing to make Congress' major pork players "famous."

That brings us, again, to Alaska governor Sarah Palin. Long before McCain focused the national spotlight on Palin as his Veep pick, he was making her famous as a dedicated feeder at the pork barrel trough. As the Chicago Tribune details:

In 2001, McCain's list of spending that had been approved without the normal budget scrutiny included a $500,000 earmark for a public transportation project in Wasilla. The Arizona senator targeted $1 million in a 2002 spending bill for an emergency communications center in town -- one that local law enforcement has said is redundant and creates confusion.

McCain also criticized $450,000 set aside for an agricultural processing facility in Wasilla that was requested during Palin's tenure as mayor and cleared Congress soon after she left office in 2002. The funding was provided to help direct locally grown produce to schools, prisons and other government institutions, according to Taxpayers for Common Sense, a nonpartisan watchdog group.

McCain's surrogates contend that Palin had no other choice but to seek funding through Federal earmarks. McCain spokesman Taylor Griffin told the Trib that Palin said she was "disgusted" at the fact that "small towns like hers were dependent on earmarks." But the records actually show that "Wasilla had received few if any earmarks before Palin became mayor."

Which proves McCain will cross the aisle to change Washington.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 854
Posted: 9/3/2008 2:33:42 PM
Not to mention she seems to have spilled the beans on Triggs deployment activities.

Breach of National Security anyone?

She is not even qualified to answer the white house phones.
 Kaos86
Msg: 855
Posted: 9/3/2008 2:36:33 PM
Biden actually said Obama wasn't qualified...

Her top priorities are resource development, education and workforce development, public health and safety, and transportation and infrastructure development. Under her leadership, Alaska invested $5 billion in state savings, overhauled education funding, and implemented the Senior Benefits Program to provide support for low-income older Alaskans. She created Alaska's Petroleum Systems Integrity Office to oversee maintenance of oil and gas equipment, facilities and infrastructure, and a Climate Change Subcabinet to prepare a climate change strategy for Alaska.

Palin's administration passed major legislation that began a competitive process to construct a gas pipeline and overhauled state ethics laws. Palin is chair of the Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission, a multi-state agency that promotes conservation and efficient recovery of domestic oil and natural gas resources while protecting health, safety and environment. She also serves as chair of the National Governors Association Natural Resources Committee. Prior to her election as governor, Palin served two terms on the Wasilla City Council and two terms as the mayor/manager of Wasilla. During her tenure, she reduced property tax levels while increasing services and made Wasilla a business friendly environment, drawing in new industry. She has served as chair of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, which regulates Alaska's most valuable non-renewable resources. She was elected by her peers to serve as president of the Alaska Conference of Mayors.
http://www.nga.org/portal/site/nga/menuitem.29fab9fb4add37305ddcbeeb501010a0/?vgnextoid=864bb9006da3f010VgnVCM1000001a01010aRCRD&vgnextchannel=d54c8aaa2ebbff00VgnVCM1000001a01010aRCRD

There you go vulfie
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 856
Posted: 9/3/2008 3:20:43 PM
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Off topic. Go have this rant in the pregnant kid thread. Sheesh.
 Kaos86
Msg: 857
Posted: 9/3/2008 3:25:44 PM
Women are obviously not allowed the privacy of their choice.
 mungojoe
Msg: 859
Posted: 9/3/2008 3:41:51 PM

You cant tell me your parents knew what you were doing every minute of the day.

And, are you telling us they could stop you from having sex?

Hence the reason Palin's "abstinence only/no abortions of any kind" stand is evidence of her inability to form rational positions on social policy issues.

You have offered some of the strongest proof yet as to why Palin is unqualified for ANY gov't position requiring sound policy decisions. She is simply unwilling to face the very facts which confront her or modify her policies in response to reality and fact (in other words, they are based on fantasy and self-delusion).

I'm glad at least one Republican supporter is able to see that failing in her.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 860
Posted: 9/3/2008 3:42:13 PM
Biden called Obama inexperienced when he was CAMPAIGNING against him. He never called him out in the ordinary course of business for some crappy, wasteful spending, then tried to sell him to the american public as the opposite.

Repubs and Democrats both do their fair share of "selling" for their party candidates as well as empty rhetoric about how the other side is bad for the country, but Palin's wasteful spending thoughout her tenure as mayor and gov. back up what mccain said about her in 2001, not what he says about her now.
 Kaos86
Msg: 861
Posted: 9/3/2008 3:47:44 PM

being willing to sacrifice her kid's wellbeing on the altar of her own ambition.

And just how did she do that?
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 862
Posted: 9/3/2008 3:51:22 PM

and where do you think Obama is going to get the billions he is promising to spend to save the world?

YOUR pocket.

Oh, I thought he'd just whip out a printing press and print money like our Fuhrer GW.
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 863
Posted: 9/3/2008 3:52:50 PM
REDDWINE.... in your reference to ME being stupid and LYING... I take no offense. Ma'am, I'm not prone to random lies on a message board. But come on, what does that say about you if your afraid of someone's middle name? And you try and justify it by saying "SO WHAT IF SHE CLAIMS THAT AS A REASON"
I'm not going to drudge through what I stated in an early part of this thread, but I will say this, just like I mentioned before, if your not voting for a person because of his middle name and that's the REASON your going to use, what else am I to think? Not only is that INSANELY racist it's out right ignorant and stupid. I mean, come on Redd, think about that for second. Thats like someone disqualifying you from social security because of YOUR MIDDLE NAME. You'd be outraged. Its a FREAKING NAME!! Damn.

And no I didn't pull that story out of my ass. A stupid ignorant racist woman did call in ON CSPAN YESTERDAY and say that. See, I've learned that if you have a critique of someone, give a valid reason why you have a critique. As I said before there are some on this board who don't like Obama and give a valid reason why. I don't have a problem with that. Say you don't like is stance, his views, his character. But if it's something as stupid as his middle name, or that you BELIEVE he's a muslim, or that he's a racist WITH A WHITE MOTHER (I hate white people! Except you mama, grandma, and grandpa.)
I'm going to call you out as being a BIGOT!! Every single time!! PERIOD!
 mungojoe
Msg: 864
Posted: 9/3/2008 3:53:27 PM
and where do you think Obama is going to get the billions he is promising to spend to save the world?

I would say that the TRILLIONS the Repubes have spent in Iraq alone would cover it with cash left to spare (after all it's not like THAT money is coming from YOUR pocket). Simply bring the troops home and redirect that funding to domestic issues (and have money left over).

Or, alternatively, roll-back the big business bail-outs. That should pay for it as well (after all, it's not like that money is coming out of YOUR pocket).

And there are the tax cuts for the "extra"-wealthy. That too would EASILY pay for Obama's policies (after all, it's not like that money is coming out of YOUR pocket).

Any way you look at it, the money is there ALREADY according to the Repubes.

We both know that a "fiscally responsible" party like the Republicans wouldn't be spending TRILLIONS of dollars the country doesn't have, don't we?
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 866
Posted: 9/3/2008 4:00:54 PM
Oh and regards to Palin... John McCains OWN campaign manager KARL ROVE said she didn't have enough experience in essence by his comment about Gov. Tim Kaine, who he THOUGHT Obama was going to chose as his VP. Here's a clip... (so I'm not accused of lying)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4qEynSx19E

Clearly another flip flop for the GOP and McCain campaign. The GOP wheels are coming off and it's getting worse and worse each day.
When Obama becomes President will you of the GOP support him? Or pack up and move away? Will you reject his giving you a better health plan? Will you disagree with him trying to bring our troops home?
 Lone_Stranger
Msg: 867
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 4:07:31 PM
Sarah has shown no interest in Washington,DC or for that matter the lower 48 states.
She is/was a strong supporter for Alaska separating from the U.S. and forming it's own country ........... which is why it makes perfect sense for her to insist on flying to Alaska after her water broke so her child is born in Alaska and not in the lower 48.
Even if it risk's her unborn child's life.

Up until very recently the farthest she traveled was what.....Seattle ?
A couple weeks ago she did'nt even know what the VP does and it sounds like she is even more a right wing christian conservative than the Bush administration.......where she may believe everything she does is God's will !
If McCain wins the election I think there's a 30% - 50% chance that he will not be able to complete his term in office which means Sarah Palin automatically becomes President of the United States.
She'll be making decisions concerning The Middle East, Russia, China and others.
She will also have her finger on the nuclear (doomsday) button.

Think about that for a minute.
 exodusi1
Msg: 868
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 4:08:19 PM
If she was really experienced, would there be 64 paged of thread trying to figure out who the hell she is?

Let's see, spend a few billion spreading peace, or a few trillion spreading war?

I choose peace!
 MacKevinized
Msg: 869
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 4:12:59 PM

What do you think of Abraham Lincoln as a President? Most historians (real historians, I mean) rate him in the top 3. Abraham Lincoln had a grammar school education.

What do you think of Harry Truman as a President? Truman had no college degree, although he did study law at what is now University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law later on (but he did not get a law degree).

What do you think of George W. Bush as a President? Bush has an undergraduate degree from Yale, and an MBA from Harvard. Of all the graduate schools at Harvard, the MBA program is the HARDEST to get into.

Education is by far NOT the determinent of whether or not a person is smart, or has leadership skills.

Smart people get educated and your examples of Truman and Lincoln demonstrate they did not earn degrees but they educated themselves.

My experience with intelligent people that can teach themselves are far more educated then those that must flaunt their academic ratings.

If he didn't he should have been fired. Palin's ex-brother-in-law drank in his police vehicle, admits firing a taser at his step-son, and had some other minor infractions like illegal hunting. What a scumbag. Here's an article about the allegations:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/259218/_Troopergate_Part_1_Sarah_Palin_and_Mike_Wooten

Here you can find an article that has the facts on file.

It's easy to tell from Palin's complicity in this affair, she manipulated her family and neighbors at her sister's house, used public agancies to harrass Mike Wooten with manufactured evidence.

Molly Wooten and Palin have been after Wooten for a long time and Palin sent many people to his boss to punish him.

With the dumb things Wooten did his boss, Monagan, gave him a 5 day suspension from duty.

Palin went way too far.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 870
Posted: 9/3/2008 4:13:29 PM
Oh and regards to Palin... John McCains OWN campaign manager KARL ROVE said
she didn't have enough experience in essence by his comment about Gov. Tim Kaine, who
he THOUGHT Obama was going to chose as his VP.

Um . . . I hate to burst your bubble here, but Karl Rove is not McCain's campaign manager.
His name is Rick Davis, and he's been operating in that capacity since July 2007.

Smart people get educated and your examples of Truman and Lincoln demonstrate
they did not earn degrees but they educated themselves.

My experience with intelligent people that can teach themselves are far more educated then
those that must flaunt their academic ratings.

Wonders will never cease! We agree on something.
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 871
Posted: 9/3/2008 4:15:31 PM
Um, not publicly. Still doesn't change the facts, he's assisting this campaign and if you believe he's doing it on a lower level your fooling yourself.
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 872
Posted: 9/3/2008 4:20:21 PM
Interesting. This just in.. TWO TOP GOP PUNDITS CAUGHT ON TAPE saying: Palin is political bullshit. It's over.
Here's the link. This was on MSNBC. Hilarious. Listen to it carefully. Funny.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/03/peggy-noonan-mike-murphy_n_123647.html

These guys are in MAJOR, MAJOR trouble.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 874
Posted: 9/3/2008 4:32:29 PM
* Reinstate PAYGO Rules: Obama believes that a critical step in restoring fiscal
discipline is enforcing pay-as-you-go (PAYGO) budgeting rules which require new
spending commitments or tax changes to be paid for by cuts to other programs or new
revenue.

Fair enough, but then where do you get the money when you don't have enough
for all the programs. The biggest budget hogs are Social Security,
Medicare/Medicaid, and the interest on the debt. Together they total almost 60 percent
of the budget.

So, shall we eliminate Social Security? That will give us a lot more money to work with.

* Reverse Bush Tax Cuts for the Wealthy: Obama will protect tax
cuts for poor and middle class families, but he will reverse most of the Bush tax cuts for
the wealthiest taxpayers.

If you remember Obama's speech, he said he was going to DECREASE taxes on 95
percent of taxpayers, and reverse the Bush tax cuts on the upper 5 percent of taxpayers.
Well the Bush tas cuts lowered the top tier from 39 percent to 35 percent. That's not
going to cover a tax decrease on the other 95 percent of taxpayers.

* Cut Pork Barrel Spending: Obama introduced and passed
bipartisan legislation that would require more disclosure and transparency for
special-interest earmarks. Obama believes that spending that cannot withstand public
scrutiny cannot be justified. Obama will slash earmarks to no greater than year 2001
levels and ensure all spending decisions are open to the public.

Good luck with that. The President does not have a line-item veto. Pork is packed into
legitimate bills. If Obama really tries to do this, he's going to find that the government
comes to a standstill.

Jimmy? Jimmy Carter? You still down there in that well?

* Make Government Spending More Accountable and Efficient:
Obama will ensure that federal contracts over $25,000 are competitively bid. Obama will
also increase the efficiency of government programs through better use of technology,
stronger management that demands accountability and by leveraging the government's
high-volume purchasing power to get lower prices.

Maybe down the road this can happen. However, Obama would be finished with his
first term by the time he got anything passed. Don't know that this can be done by
Executive Order.

* End Wasteful Government Spending: Obama will stop funding
wasteful, obsolete federal government programs that make no financial sense. Obama has
called for an end to subsidies for oil and gas companies that are enjoying record profits,
as well as the elimination of subsidies to the private student loan industry which has
repeatedly used unethical business practices. Obama will also tackle wasteful spending in
the Medicare program.

See my comments on pork above.

* End Tax Haven Abuse: Building on his bipartisan work in the
Senate, Obama will give the Treasury Department the tools it needs to stop the abuse of
tax shelters and offshore tax havens and help close the $350 billion tax gap between
taxes owed and taxes paid.

This will require a raft of legislation that Obama will probably not be able to get through
Congress. Right now tax shelters are legal, and some, like Treasury notes are necessary
to sustain the government.

Now it's entirely possible to go after individuals who are illegally sheltering income, but
one of the problems is hiring a sufficient number of auditors. Over the past 10 years or
so the number of auditors has drastically decreased. You can't go after scofflaws if you
don't have the resources.

* Close Special Interest Corporate Loopholes: Obama will level the
playing field for all businesses by eliminating special-interest loopholes and deductions,
such as those for the oil and gas industry.

Sure, go on ahead. But realize that the $4 gas you are buying now will quickly go up to
$12 a gallon as they pay in the UK. And there goes those tax cuts !!
 exodusi1
Msg: 875
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 4:33:14 PM
I'm not worried about her winning, I doubt she will be on the ticket anyway, nor do I think the repubs have any realistic chance of winning!
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]