Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 876
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah PalinPage 36 of 104    (22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62)
I'm sorry Red. The GOP made a major mistake with Sarah. He should've gone with his first choice, Lieberman. But he caved into the pressures of the party. Now, poor Sarah is going to be the scape goat. I do think that tonight she's going to do well. And the GOP will get a bump but they have a long road ahead of them on the campaign trail. I still don't think she'll make it to the election.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 877
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 9/3/2008 4:55:47 PM
"Sarah campaigned in Wasilla as a "fiscal conservative". During her 6
years as Mayor, she increased general government expenditures by over
33%. During those same 6 years the amount of taxes collected by the
City increased by 38%. This was during a period of low inflation
(1996-2002). She reduced progressive property taxes and increased a
regressive sales tax which taxed even food. The tax cuts that she
promoted benefited large corporate property owners way more than they
benefited residents. "

Setting aside the percentages, herein lies the problem I have with "fiscal conservatism" as applied today in the Republican party ... which aligns with what Palin has done as a mayor - experience she claims is representative of her qualifications, so I let them stand as representative.

Taxation is a social engineering system. Those with the right to change the tax structure increase taxes to those they feel should shoulder more of the burden of the expenses and reduce them for those they feel should shoulder less of the burden.

Property tax is more significantly oriented to those who can afford to own property. The higher the value of the property the larger the share of the burden. It is typically not passed on to renters because the supply/demand for rentals sets the rental prices, not the costs. Cutting property tax doesn't lower rental prices, either.

Shifting the tax to sales tax by raising the sales tax shifts more of the tax burden to those who cannot afford to own property. Many of these are people who didn't have any "discretionary income." They were barely making it at the old tax rate. Now they have to do without so that the wealthy landowners pay less taxes.

This is a redistribution which benefits the wealthy at the expense of the middle class.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 878
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 5:01:44 PM
"* Close Special Interest Corporate Loopholes: Obama will level the
playing field for all businesses by eliminating special-interest loopholes and deductions,
such as those for the oil and gas industry.

Sure, go on ahead. But realize that the $4 gas you are buying now will quickly go up to
$12 a gallon as they pay in the UK. And there goes those tax cuts !!"

Nope. Doesn't work that way. Notice how the decrease in driving is the acknowledged cause of the drop in gas prices this month. It is the supply/demand curve. Oil companies managed to hit the price that causes Americans to get out of their cars ... EU and Asian too. Watch the news reports on all the broadcast channels this week.

What closing the loopholes does is end the immorally high profits of the American gasoline distributors. Since the Bible calls out that such profiteering is sinful I have been very surprised that real Christian Republican (not the phoneys) have not strongly objected to. sigh. Greed and Christianity really do not go together even when you hide them in the euphamism of "prosperity."
 exodusi1
Msg: 879
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 5:41:42 PM
No one is saying it will happen overnight, DUH!!!!

It didn't happen overnight for Clinton either. . .

It takes several years to overcome the corruption and greed of Republicans, but by the end of his first term, a pay as you go prospect might be in order. . . It is going to take a lot of sacrifice to get rid of the national debt.
 itechman63
Msg: 880
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 5:56:53 PM
I'm interested in Palin but let's get real... someone stating that a man who has served in state legislature for 7 years and 4 years in the US Senate has less experience than one who was the mayor of the town of 'Northern Exposure' and a Governor for less than 2 years is just whack.
 Barredbard
Msg: 881
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:09:13 PM
Oh, I don't doubt that Obama may not be able to achieve some of the lofty ideals he has espoused, as alluring as they are. At least at the beginning. Politics by its very nature involves a series of compromises that might confound the illustrous James Bond himself, and gaining the White House is but one step in many. Well, its the biggest step actually. But after the angels set down their trumpets and the smog generated from the campaign trail dissipates, the president can then assess the situation and weigh the vying interests. It would take someone with both an advanced intellect and a backbone to push through all the mandates that he set for himself before being ushered into the White House. Despite the 'clear' delineation of the powers, an astute president can find creative ways of pushing through his agenda regardless of any opposition he may encounter from our distinguished Congress. Roosevelt was especially adept at this during the Great Depression. Obama seems to be possessed of the intellect to seek those loopholes out. You see, he was a lawyer, and a better breed of ferrets would be hard to find in the length and breadth of our land. Any land, actually. George Bush, great wizard that he is, used signing statements to defy congress. It appears that he was rather befuddled by the division of powers as set forth in the Constitution, and saw it as his Christian duty to inform Congress of his prerogative to ignore those laws which he felt were unconstitutional. It was the best he could do, poor soul, in light of his deficiencies. It would be tragic to burden McCain in the same manner, which is why I propose the Obama/Biden ticket with unbridled enthusiasm
 flyguy51
Msg: 882
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:12:43 PM
My prediction: Palin will resign as VP candidate in order to make time for familial concerns. It's win/win for the Reps. Palin will no longer be in over her head politically, and she will be seen as a mother willing to sacrifice a huge national political career for her children's needs. McCain will be able to choose a much more viable VP without being dogged for incompletely vetting and then "firing" Palin. The masterstroke: the Dems will be villified for their sexism (again!) and lack of class with their rumors and attacks, and Palin will be seen as the innocent victim of it all.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 883
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:17:53 PM

your bantor back and forth may make you THINK that she's an awful choice
but you guys on this forum are singing to the choir (each other)

Let's see......

Palin is pro life, thinks global warming is bogus, thinks it's great her 17 year old is marrying the "father", she's a member of the NRA, she hunts...

she is everything I detest, but with that said, she is a perfect match for McCain and WILL be on the ticket,, and though you would hope that others see the hypocracy of SOME of her statements, the majority of Americans will only watch the RNC or DNC and base their opinion on the talking heads of their political choice- both democrat AND republican

I personally don't relate to her at all.......

I think that you are in the majority, in regards to female voters in the USA, for those reasons, and many more.

....but I am proud that a woman has been picked for the VP slot, she is intelligent, politically savy and ambitious, she may not be what the democrats want in a VP, but she wasn't picked with you in mind...

Nor with the majority of Americans in mind, overall.

The fact that she's such an unknown, with so many questions about her past coming up (and this late in the election cycle) is not good for McCain's campaign. It may be good for his base, but not for those who are "leaners" or true independents. Those are the people he needs to sign up to have any chance at all of winning - his base won't win him this election.

This one decision blasted the "experience card" out of the game, which (used properly) could have worked to gain him voters.

It also reflects back to how McCain makes decisions.

"Being proud" that a woman is on the ticket makes little difference, if that woman loses you the election - as Palin well might.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 884
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:19:46 PM

Obama will have a clear majority in both houses. I line item veto is not out of the question.

This is not something that's up to Congress. The Supreme Court struck down the line item veto as unconstitutional in 1998.

The only way that can be changed is by constitutional amendment, or reconsideration by the Supreme Court.

Edit: Fly, the one thing you are missing in your post is the realization that this won't be a divided Congress and Senate. It's a given, even by the Republicans, that they are gonna get their butts kicked on the legislative elections.

LOL. No I'm not missing the point. But unless it is a HUGE majority it is difficult to get legislation passed. More conservative Democrats will not automatically pass left wing bills.
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 885
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:26:03 PM

I personally don't relate to her at all, but I am proud that a woman has been picked for the VP slot, she is intelligent, politically savy and ambitious, she may not be what the democrats want in a VP, but she wasn't picked with you in mind.

Well she effing should have been, we are Americans. And this choice was supposed to be for the Vice President of America, not Vice President of Republicans.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 886
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:34:05 PM
The fact that she's such an unknown, with so many questions about her past coming up (and this late in the election cycle) is not good for McCain's campaign. It may be good for his base, but not for those who are "leaners" or true independents. Those are the people he needs to sign up to have any chance at all of winning - his base won't win him this election.

Exactly. And while Palin is prepping for her speach and staying away from the press, John is starting to loose his cool. I have no doubt that she can deliver on a 20 minute speach brilliantly and fire up the base. She might even be able to get through a couple interviews if she can keep coming back to some pre-prepared talking points.

...but the real problem is that all these stories in the news are not really tarnishing Palin, but they are a referendum on McCain. He is the one running who has to win the election. There are numerous meltdowns by him on youtube already. Does he really need a fresh one so close to election day?

Also, Rove seems to be at odds with him on his pick of Palin and so the party is eating itself a little because of it. There's desention in the ranks. Rove was talking to newsweek reporters and said Palin was purely a political pick. Schmit (mccain adviser) had to come out and contradict Rove in the press strongly (and Schmit is a disciple of Rove!). So, not only are they fighting attacks from the "liberal" media, they are wasting their time responding to their own guys. Peggy Noonan got caught talking into a hot mic about how Palin was political bullshit and because McCain went for this "political narrative" he's over. The senator (r) of alaska said Palin was unprepared. ect. These are not attacks from the "left" or the "liberals" or the "media" and they're not questioning Palin so much as they are MCCAIN.
 flyguy51
Msg: 887
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:34:30 PM

But unless it is a HUGE majority it is difficult to get legislation passed. More conservative Democrats will not automatically pass left wing bills.

Why do you say that? The issues that you claim will be blocked, such as pork barrel spending and earmarks, are the same things that McCain is running on.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 888
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:34:44 PM

She
inherited a city with zero debt, but left it with
indebtedness of over $22 million.

She went to the George Bush school of economics (except his numbers were far larger). Remember Clinton left the country to Bush with billions in surplus and Bush left us trillions in the red. So much for fiscal conservatism. That's that good old voodoo economics that Reagan touted. Trickle-down indeed. And they named an airport after him? Amazing. Reagan (wonderful president that he was who singlehandedly smote the Russian empire [if you believe that crap]) marched the country down the long road of dergulation of damned near everything leading to the crisis we have today in the mortgage lending industry which has had ripple/catastrophic effects on our entire economy and a huge number of current bank failures. Yes indeed. Thanks republicans. 'Ya done good.

You cant tell me your parents knew what you were doing every minute of the day.

And, are you telling us they could stop you from having sex?

My parents didn't have to know everything I was doing because they instilled good values that were always at work when they weren't around. That's the big difference. That's where Palin failed. She set a poor example for her daughter. She conceived HER child out of wedlock. How could she possibly criticize her daughter for doing the same thing?
 exodusi1
Msg: 889
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:40:47 PM
I thought they already had. . .
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 890
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:44:32 PM

republicans and democrats are all Americans, but to expect that McCain would pick a VP that YOU would be happy with is ludicrous, to republicans, Biden may have nothing in common with THEIR political views, but he is still as American as Palin-

why do we have to view opposing views as un American

Because he should have been picking someone that would serve the country the best, not someone who would shock the party into voting for him. "Country first"? I don't think so. I think it's "win at all costs first, sort the rest out later".
 exodusi1
Msg: 891
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:45:21 PM
Sure, ask Bluesman for sex before marriage, then stick your tongue out at me. . .

Why am I always the one being teased?
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 892
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:46:02 PM
Why do you say that? The issues that you claim will be blocked, such as pork barrel spending and earmarks, are the same things that McCain is running on.

It would be easy if pork was contained in individual bills, but it isn't. So let's say Senator Scumbucket wants $100 million to study the effect of red beans and rice on beef cattle (I think we know the effect would be diarrhea) Senator Sleazebucket wants $200 million for a 4 lane highway that connects his country house, city house and his office.

These and other tasty pork morsels are put into an appropriations budget for federal government employees. If the bill isn't passed, the government shuts down because there is no money to pay the workers.

The President can't pick the pork out, because as we just discussed, the line item veto is unconstitutional. So the President has two choices:

1) Pass the bill and the pork;

2) Veto the bill and the pork, but the government shuts down.

See the predicament?
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 893
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:47:21 PM

Bluesman, did you have sex before marriage?

Yes and I also had sex education. Something Palin doesn't believe in along with contraceptives. Your point?
 exodusi1
Msg: 894
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:50:16 PM
RW, we really need to talk. . . .

OK, we have Birds and Bees, you see they . . .

Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 895
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:52:11 PM

aaahahahaaaaaa now THAT was funny...I dont care what side youre on

Great. I make a joke, people tell me I am not funny. I say something serious, and you laugh. Life in bizzaro world.

Of course he was trying to shock the party into voting for him. They don't like him. This convention probably should have had a bigger arena. That way the people would have room to stretch out on rugs like we did in Kindergarten to take their nap. If this is the Republican's idea of a party, I'll stick with the godless liberals. Now THAT was a party.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 896
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:58:55 PM

so.. sex before marriage is different for a man?

Jesus where are you coming up with this? I had PROTECTED SEX GET IT? Palin doesn't believe in sex education OR prevention. Get it? Man oh man. Let's stay on topic shall we instead of making it up as you go along.
 flyguy51
Msg: 897
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:59:48 PM
Flyonthewall!, the scenario you bring up is not only hypothetical, it is a historical and current political reality. Current examples would be the California budget mess and the continual Bush vetoes of Iraq spending bills. This, from McCain's site:

As President, John McCain would shine the disinfecting light of public scrutiny on those who abuse the public purse, use the power of the presidency to restore fiscal responsibility, and exercise the veto pen to enforce it.

He may meet the same dead end as Obama in this regard, but you can't blame the two for trying!
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 898
Posted: 9/3/2008 7:01:03 PM
..... Me~ow ....

Yeah....that's right...you got nothin.

"Let's see if turning back around on her and making her look like she's a beotch will diffuse my non-argument". Girl let some air out of that hair.
 StrangerInTheHouse
Msg: 899
Posted: 9/3/2008 7:01:56 PM
Relax. If McCain is elected and kicks the bucket, Palin could not be any worse than George Bush
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 900
Posted: 9/3/2008 7:03:56 PM
why do we have to view opposing views as un American

Because when you don't have a rational logical argument, you name call. You accuse people of being un American or lefty or some other rubbish. There's an old legal maxim that says "if you can't beat 'em with facts, try dazzling 'em with bullshit". That's what this neocon regime has been doing blatantly for the last 8 years and Americans are fed up to the eyeballs with it. Because that's all it is - bullshit. And more importantly, it's bullshit that has cost us over 5,000 American LIVES. It's cost us our global reputation. It's cost us our economy which is circling the drain. It has created more divisiveness than I can ever remember in my lifetime. The neocons pitted one American against another ("you're either with us or against us"). Well, this country has had quite enough.

Palin could not be any worse than George Bush

I wouldn't bet on that.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]