Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 exodusi1
Msg: 901
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah PalinPage 37 of 104    (23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63)
Stranger;

Please don't jinx us!

We thought it couldn't get any worse than an over-rated actor. . .

In the immortal words of Ron White. . .

We Were WRONG!!!!
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 902
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 9/3/2008 7:11:41 PM

Flyonthewall!, the scenario you bring up is not only hypothetical, it is a historical and current political reality. Current examples would be the California budget mess and the continual Bush vetoes of Iraq spending bills. This, from McCain's site:

Yep, neither of them are going to be able to do anything about it. I wasn't suggesting that only Obama would have that difficulty.
 exodusi1
Msg: 903
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 7:11:49 PM
It will be 56-44 when we jettison Benedict Lieberman!

As much as it pains me to say, , , she is correct on that one. . .

A line Item veto is a change to the powers of the president and a shift from the legislative branch. . . Such a change requires a Constitutional Amendment. The same is true of term limits, Term Limits on Federal representatives requires a Constitutional Amenedment as well.

Though, the current administration and their signing statements prove they don't really care about the Constitution!
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 904
Posted: 9/3/2008 9:58:45 PM
BTW, my Democrat hat is an American hat. Those Republican hats are what? Made in China?

Yeah, along with their purple Nikes.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 905
Posted: 9/3/2008 10:01:00 PM
All we know about her record is the bad stuff the press has dug up, because she has been in hiding for 3 days. It created this information vaccum and the press did a pretty good job of filing it, so far.

There are a bunch of "good things" out there too about her record, but they've all come from hastily rehearsed talking point memos, delivered by spokesmen who have never met her and are making themselves look silly defending this woman, as she claims to be a washington outsider (apparaently one with many loyal insider friends overnight).

Furthermore, she doesn't seem to want to address any of these bad things, except the pregnancy rumor (that Trigg was Palin's baby). She made a press release about that, and about how she intends to cooperate in troopergate (though it doesn't look like she is) and most of the other stuff is taking on the ring of truth, mainly, because it's been out there on the huffington post for 3 days and NO response for Sarah Palin about censoring books and trying to fire librarians, loyalty pledges, firing cops who donate to opposing campaigns, etc.
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 906
Posted: 9/3/2008 10:11:15 PM
INTERESTING READ.... GOP IS FRACTURED and the Palin pick doesn't help.

The Battle Between McCain and Bush: The Cancelled First Night, The "Furious" President and the Palin Gambit

The cancellation of the first night of the Republican National Convention marks the renewal of the rivalry between George W. Bush and John McCain. Since their bitter contest over the Republican nomination in 2000, they have taken years to make peace. But now McCain's last chance has collided with Bush's legacy.

Hurricane Gustav was "a big blessing," according to a source close to the McCain campaign. Facing a Katrina level wipeout--the landfall in St. Paul of both President Bush and Vice President Cheney--McCain felt trapped. How could he prevent the President and Vice President from appearing at the convention? Only an act of God could intervene. Suddenly, a hurricane whipped up in the Gulf and looked headed for New Orleans. Like a divinely inspired miracle, a storm to blow away Bush and Cheney had been conjured.

The McCain campaign and the Bush White House negotiated terms that unfolded as a script over the past several days, several sources told me. First, Bush announced he must oversee the preparations for dealing with the hurricane. He would not be able to attend the convention. Cheney, too, would drop out. In order that Bush and Cheney not seem to have been humiliated, McCain cancelled the entire proceedings for the first evening.

Almost certainly, Bush had to cancel his planned speech while Gustav loomed. But the sources say he didn't like the idea and felt pushed. Bush is described by sources as "furious" at McCain for being deprived of his last appearance before his party, which nominated him twice, as a sitting president. He believes he is being treated disrespectfully.

Shuttering the convention for a night was probably inevitable given the hurricane, but to provide a cover-up for scratching Bush and Cheney it became absolutely necessary. But once the hurricane passed, Bush asserted his primacy as president and forced his way back on the schedule to deliver a satellite speech to the convention.

McCain is desperately seeking ways to pivot from Bush, whose in-person appearance on the first night of the convention threatened to obliterate his message as a "maverick" and "reformer." Even though McCain himself would not be onstage, Bush and Cheney would have dominated the opening and underlined continuity between their administration and McCain. The cancellation of the first night of the convention is a small price to pay for their absence.

McCain's campaign is perfectly aware of the mortal danger of Bush's embrace. He has needed the president to rally the Republican base. But once he has the nomination his imperative is to project himself as an antidote to what has gone wrong with Republicanism.

McCain's political quandary is paradoxical. Bush has broken all parts of the Republican Party, as I document in my book, The Strange Death of Republican America. McCain's emergence as the party's nominee has been made possible by its crackup, which he must transcend. The primary field fractured the conservatives, none of whom were able to isolate the others and unite the whole movement. None could do what Bush achieved in 2000, running at the same time as the candidate of the party establishment and the conservative movement. McCain historically has represented neither.

McCain's selection of Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska reflected his impulse to reject Bush. As I explained in a previous article in the Huffington Post, he really wanted to name Senator Joe Lieberman as his running mate, but that option was a political impossibility that would have provoked an open revolt at the convention. Karl Rove tried to manipulate McCain into choosing Mitt Romney, endorsed by almost all members of the Bush family (except the president who had to remain above the fray). Rove organized a campaign against Lieberman and other potential choices. There could be little doubt that Rove was doing Bush's bidding. But McCain, resentful of Rove's maneuvering, outflanked him with Palin.

Bush is said to be dismissive of McCain's pick of Palin, according to the sources. Ironically, he is said to believe that now he will bear no responsibility if McCain loses. The old rivalry, supposedly buried, has come back to life.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 907
Posted: 9/3/2008 11:37:13 PM

she intends to cooperate in troopergate

Doesn't seem very cooperative given the fact that her lawyers are fighting like hell to keep from having her deposition taken. More lies. That's the trouble with the GOP. They lie a lot and have far too many hats. Bush's legacy is a dirt road littered with the trash of one American failure after another under his watch. And the delusional part is that I think he actually believes history will vindicate him. How crazy is that?

He believes he is being treated disrespectfully.

Disrespectfully? He's damned lucky he's not been impeached. Good grief.

McCain is desperately seeking ways to pivot

That will require surgery.
http://www.mypagehome.com/bushhug.jpg

he is said to believe that now he will bear no responsibility if McCain loses

That's rich considering Bush is completely to blame for everything his administration has done thus far.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 908
Posted: 9/4/2008 5:04:02 AM
Now that the conventions are almost over, the REAL fight for the White House begins -- The Debates. They've been finalized by both candidates, here's the rundown....

2008 Debates

September 26, 2008: Presidential debate with domestic policy focus, University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS
October 2, 2008: Vice Presidential debate, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
October 7, 2008: Presidential debate in a town hall format, Belmont University, Nashville, TN
October 15, 2008: Presidential debate with foreign policy focus, Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a break down of what each debate will consist of:

1. First Presidential Debate: – Date: September 26 – Site: University of Mississippi – Topic: Foreign Policy & National Security – Moderator: Jim Lehrer – Staging: Podium debate – Answer Format: The debate will be broken into nine, 9-minute segments. The moderator will introduce a topic and allow each candidate 2 minutes to comment. After these initial answers, the moderator will facilitate an open discussion of the topic for the remaining 5 minutes, ensuring that both candidates receive an equal amount of time to comment

2. Vice Presidential Debate – Date: October 2nd – Site: Washington University (St. Louis) – Moderator: Gwen Ifill – Staging/Answer Format: To be resolved after both parties’ Vice Presidential nominees are selected.

3. Second Presidential Debate – Date: October 7 – Site: Belmont University – Moderator: Tom Brokaw – Staging: Town Hall debate – Format: The moderator will call on members of the audience (and draw questions from the internet). Each candidate will have 2 minutes to respond to each question. Following those initial answers, the moderator will invite the candidates to respond to the previous answers, for a total of 1 minute, ensuring that both candidates receive an equal amount of time to comment. In the spirit of the Town Hall, all questions will come from the audience (or internet), and not the moderator.

4. Third Presidential Debate – Date: October 15 – Site: Hofstra University – Topic: Domestic and Economic policy – Moderator: Bob Schieffer – Staging: Candidates will be seated at a table – Answer Format: Same as First Presidential Debate – Closing Statements: At the end of this debate (only) each candidate shall have the opportunity for a 90 second closing statement.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All four debates will begin at 9pm ET, and last for 90 minutes. Both campaigns also agreed to accept the CPD’s participation rules for third-party candidate participation.

All 4 debates will be broadcast on the major broadcast networks, including CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX. They will also be aired on cable news channels such as CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, and C-SPAN.

Full videos of each debate uploaded once they air and can be seen at http://www.youdecide2008.com

Montreal_Guy
Msg: 909
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 7:39:23 AM

I think fair or unfair, and I do think it is a more concentrated criticism that Hillary gets on so many fronts. That’s unfortunate, but fair or unfair I think she does herself a disservice to even mention it. You got to plow through that. You have to know what your getting into. Which I say this with all due respect to Hillary Clinton and to her experience and to her passion for changing the status quo, but when I hear a statement like that coming from any woman candidate with any kind of a perceived whine about that excess criticism or a sharper microscope put on her that doesn’t do us any good.

Women in politics, women in general wanting to progress this country. I don’t think it bodes well for her because a statement like that, again fair or unfair it is a reality, and I think it’s a given. I think people just accept that she is going to be under that sharper microscope. So be it, you have to work harder. Prove yourself to an even greater degree that you’re capable, that you’re going to be the best candidate and that of course is what she wants us to believe at this point. It bothers me a little bit to hear of her bringing that attention to herself.”

I recognize that Hillary seems to be trying real hard to be tough. But..I say more power to her, I think she had to do that! Unfortunate that she’s had to do that. But, she comes across to me as tough, capable, I can respect that in her that she is this tough, capable, and experienced. You wonder though if there is another side to her that is I don’t know softer, softer isn’t the right word. You wonder about the personality. You know what’s the other side like? What I have perceived from watching Main Stream media is she’s trying really hard to be tough and to show that resume and to prove she’s got the experience. That’s been the latest round of everything last week, experience.As you’ve said it’s gone round and round as to what the message has been in the campaign, but it does come back to the experience. I recognize that’s what she’s trying to do and that it’s unfortunate again that maybe a woman candidate feels that they have to go there…(question did you ever feel like you had to go there?)no you know and back to Hillary again.

- Sarah Palin,
Spring 08
(commenting on Hillary Clinton)

http://edgeoforever.wordpress.com/2008/08/30/the-whining-talking-point/

Sarah Palin - change you can believe in.
 Kaos86
Msg: 910
Posted: 9/4/2008 8:21:10 AM
Governor/VP Palin gave a good accounting of her self last night.
She proved that if her time in politics has been short, her approach to it and her conviction and purpose are not to be underestimated.

That was the best Republicans could hope for, given the pounding Palin has taken (some of it unfair, but much of it grounded in the lack of experience) since her candidacy was announced.

She showed a firm grasp of key domestic issues, including energy independence and tax policy.
Perhaps most important, she related strongly to working-class families, often with an easy humor that almost certainly connected with key demographics.

According to most polls Obama leads McCain by 4 to 5 points. The Rasmussen poll shows that, among unaffiliated voters, just 42% believe Obama has better experience than Palin to be President.
Thirty-seven percent (37%) say Palin has the edge on experience but the response was measured prior to her speach last night.
Surprisingly close!
 exodusi1
Msg: 911
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 8:28:31 AM
Yeah, she touted the Obama Energy Policy. . . I thought that was a stroke of genius!

Also, Obama leads the latest nationwide poll 50-43.

However, MN has turned a darker shade of blue, Obama now has a 12% lead there and Ohio shifted to a slight adv for Obama, from a slight adv for McCain. . . The electoral map looks grimm for the Dark Side!
 PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 912
Posted: 9/4/2008 8:55:10 AM
Sarah Palin talked about her energy policy she has already implemented. Obama is running in her shadow. Maybe he didn't know it prior to last night. Maybe he had already examined her policy... and tried to present the concept as his own. He got handed his head on a platter last night on energy...by Palin who practices what she preaches.

The Polls will show her effect in the coming days. The last poll I saw, which was taken prior to her speech, is Obama 49 and McCain 45... Watch what happens in the coming days.

The electoral map is looking better and better for McCain/Palin.
 exodusi1
Msg: 913
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 8:56:45 AM
I agree, the blue of Ohio and darker Blue in MN look great!
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 914
Posted: 9/4/2008 9:01:36 AM

The Polls will show her effect in the coming days. The last poll I saw, which was taken prior to her speech, is Obama 49 and McCain 45... Watch what happens in the coming days.
Watch what happens in the poll in November.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 915
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 9:15:20 AM
"The difference between a hockey Mom and a pit bull is lipstick."

?????
 exodusi1
Msg: 916
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 9:27:12 AM
Yeah, the difference between Palin and Biden?

Brains, experience, character, integrity. . . And, apparently lipstick!
 PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 917
Posted: 9/4/2008 9:35:14 AM

Watch what happens in the poll in November.

I assume you mean the actual voting totals...the electoral votes... not the 'polls' since exit polling can be misleading.

I agree..let's watch and see. I anticipate a McCain/Palin majority in popular and electoral votes.
 Kaos86
Msg: 918
Posted: 9/4/2008 9:39:03 AM
The Rasmussen Reports Balance of Power Calculator currently shows Obama leading in states with 193 Electoral College votes while McCain leads in states with 183 votes.
When leaners are included, it’s Obama 264, McCain 247 .

Obama leads with women by 14 points.
While McCain leads with men by 4 points.
The battleground is with the female vote.
It will be interesting, over the next couple of weeks to see if Governor/VP Palin can narrow the gap amongst women.
Her speach last night was a start but it is a long way to go.
 Kaos86
Msg: 919
Posted: 9/4/2008 9:44:04 AM

Brains, experience, character, integrity. . . And, apparently lipstick!

Nothing like another sexist remark to kick things off.
By the way...
What shade of lipstick goes with the Biden hairplugs?
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 920
Posted: 9/4/2008 9:44:44 AM
INTERESTING OBSERVATION about the GOP.... watch if you dare. Enjoy!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/04/daily-show-takes-on-the-s_n_123908.html

jelunc
Msg: 921
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 9:45:29 AM

"The difference between a hockey Mom and a pit bull is lipstick."

?????

translation: I am a ****, too, my lips are red, though.
 exodusi1
Msg: 922
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 9:52:31 AM
My comment WASN'T Sexist. . . I drew the comparrison SHE MADE!

She isn't as bright, nothing to do with her gender.

She isn't as experienced, nothing to do with her gender.

She doesn't have his integrity, nothing to do with her gender.

She is running for VP. If she can't stand the fire, get the hell out of the race!
 Kaos86
Msg: 923
Posted: 9/4/2008 10:23:20 AM
Her comment was equating a hockey mom to a bull dog.
Hockey moms are very protective of their children.
Your comment belittled women when compared to men.

"For a season, a gifted speaker can inspire with his words. For a lifetime, John McCain has inspired with his deeds."
Governor/VP Palin

A great line !
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 924
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 10:39:18 AM
Re Palin's speech :

As for my running mate, you can be certain that wherever he goes and whoever is listening John McCain is the same man.

That does seem to be the main problem, all right.

But -- now, here's a little newsflash. Here's a little newsflash for those reporters and commentators: I'm not going to Washington to seek their good opinion.

Why do I think, if elected, this will indeed be the case ?

Politics isn't just a game of clashing parties and competing interests.

It seems, as per the Republicans, that this seems to have been lost in the shuffle.

The right reason is to challenge the status quo, to serve the common good, and to leave this nation better than we found it.

2000-2008 - This score just in ...... Republican party 0 - Reality 230 points. They've had the White House for eight years, and they need four more to "finish the job" ?

Suddenly, I realized that sudden and relentless reform never sits well with entrenched interests and power-brokers. That's why true reform is so hard to achieve.

Especially when your campaign is filled with lobbyists, and neo cons, and Bush people.....who strike me as being the ones who would be most worried about "relentless reform".

Think they are going to bite the hand that feeds them ?

Our state budget is under control. We have a surplus.

Thanks to high oil prices, brought to you by the Republicans, their war, and people like Phil Gramm who opened up the oil markets for speculation. Lucky it worked out for them so well, isn't it ?

I told the Congress, "Thanks, but no thanks," on that Bridge to Nowhere.

But not initially, only when it was a political nightmare.....

When oil and gas prices went up dramatically and filled up the state treasury, I sent a large share of that revenue back where it belonged: directly to the people of Alaska.

I thought it was the cost cutting that did that, Sarah ?

As governor, I insisted on competition and basic fairness to end their control of our state and return it to the people.

I fought to bring about the largest private-sector infrastructure project in North American history. And when that deal was struck, we began a nearly $40 billion natural gas pipeline to help lead America to energy independence.

That pipeline, when the last section is laid and its valves are open, will lead America one step farther away from dependence on dangerous foreign powers that do not have our interests at heart.

And that pipeline deal was struck, it was with a Canadian company.

To confront the threat that Iran might seek to cut off nearly a fifth of the world's energy supplies....

A fifth.....OK Sarah, that's 20 percent, right ?

Record Iranian output belies oil sector travails
Oxford Analytica, Globe and Mail
EVENT: Oil output is officially said to be running at 4.2 million barrels per day, a post-revolutionary record.

SIGNIFICANCE: This disguises the fact that there are major problems in the Iranian oil sector which if not addressed soon will have very serious implications for the broader economy.

ANALYSIS: Iran is struggling to maintain oil exports despite the claimed record production levels. The official target is to produce 4.3 million barrels per day (b/d) during the current fiscal year (which began in March).
(22 July 2008)

Total worldwide production per day ?

Global oil production fell by 126 thousand barrels per day in 2007, dropping to 81.5 million barrels per day, according to a report from BP.

http://energy.ihs.com/news/markets/2008/bp-global-oil-production-2007.htm

So Irans's current 4 million b/d is twenty percent of the 80 million a day produced worldwide ?

I thought oil and energy was her STRONG point ?

.... or that terrorists might strike again at the Abqaiq facility in Saudi Arabia, or that Venezuela might shut off its oil discoveries and its deliveries of that source, Americans, we need to produce more of our own oil and gas. And...

And take it from a gal who knows the North Slope of Alaska: We've got lots of both.

Really ?

n 1998, the USGS estimated that between 5.7 and 16.0 billion barrels of technically recoverable crude oil and natural gas liquids are in the coastal plain area of ANWR, with a mean estimate of 10.4 billion barrels , of which 7.7 billion barrels lie within the Federal portion of the ANWR 1002 Area.[

In comparison, the estimated volume of undiscovered, technically recoverable oil in the rest of the United States is about 120 billion barrels .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Refuge_drilling_controversy

So how long is that oil going to take to come "online" ?

The opening of the ANWR 1002 Area to oil and natural gas development is projected to increase domestic crude oil production starting in 2018.

In the mean ANWR oil resource case, additional oil production resulting from the opening of ANWR reaches 780,000 barrels per day in 2027 and then declines to 710,000 barrels per day in 2030. In the low and high ANWR oil resource cases, additional oil production resulting from the opening of ANWR peaks in 2028 at 510,000 and 1.45 million barrels per day , respectively.

- Ibid

In eleven years......

How much does the US use/produce/import a day now ?

U.S. Crude Oil Production 5,064,000 barrels/day
State Ranking of Crude Oil Production Texas - 1,087,000 barrels/day
U.S. Crude Oil Imports 10,031,000 barrels/day

United States Oil consumption daily 20,680 bbls/day

http://www.eia.doe.gov/basics/quickoil.html

The amount of oil from Alaska as a share of US needs per day, when it all arrives online ?

A drop in the bucket.

( On the other hand, reducing consumption, using alternate energy sources, and making more efficient cars would dwarf any Alaskan oil. )

Approximately 300 million tires get tossed out every year in America and each tire contains about 10 gallons of oil, according to Patrick George, CFO of new age rubber recycler Lehigh Technologies.

Recycling 30 million tires means 300 million gallons not consumed, which can also be viewed as 300 million gallons taken out of the ground.

http://greenlight.greentechmedia.com/2008/08/19/how-much-oil-is-there-in-old-tires-481/

If every household in the United States lowered its average heating temperature 6 degrees over a 24-hour period, we would save the equivalent of more than 570,000 barrels of oil per day.

If every household in the United States raised air-conditioning temperatures 6 degrees, we'd save the equivalent of 190,000 barrels of oil every day.

Increasing mass transit ridership by 10 percent in the five largest metropolitan areas would save 135 million gallons of gasoline a year, while also reducing emissions of air pollutants.

One gallon of used motor oil when recycled yields the same amount of refined lubricating oil--2.5 quarts-- as 42 gallons of crude oil. Recycle your used motor oil!!!

Trains are among the most energy-efficient mode of transport. In the United States, trucks use more than eight times as much energy to transport freight between cities as trains.

Replacing an incandescent bulb with a compact fluorescent will save the energy equivalent of 46 gallons of oil as well as one-half ton of carbon dioxide emissions over the lifetime of the bulb.

The average U.S. home uses the energy equivalent of 1,253 gallons of oil every year.

If all the cars in the United States were equipped with the most efficient tires possible, the fuel savings would equal 400,000 barrels of oil per day.

Adding low-emissivity (low-E) coatings to all windows in the United States would save the equivalent of 500,000 barrels of oil per day--one-third the amount of oil we import from the Persian Gulf.

http://www.merchantcircle.com/blogs/Summit.Oil.Recycling.713-502-8681/2008/3/Recycling-Did-You-Know-/68704

Many of these things ( and many others) could start to pay off rather quickly, and produce far more oil than Alaska ever could - and faster.

Too bad the oil companies and Alaskans want you to buy oil, instead of saving it. I wonder why that is ?

Back to you, Sarah :

Our opponents say again and again that drilling will not solve all of America's energy problems, as if we didn't know that already.

But the fact that drilling, though, won't solve every problem is no excuse to do nothing at all.

Starting in January, in a McCain-Palin administration, we're going to lay more pipelines, and build more nuclear plants, and create jobs with clean coal, and move forward on solar, wind, geothermal, and other alternative sources.

Wait, I heard you say "clean coal" , right ?

It is has been estimated that it will be 2020 to 2025 before commercial-scale clean coal power stations (coal-burning power stations with carbon capture and sequestration) are commercially viable and widely adopted.

A clean coal carbon dioxide sequestering plant called Futuregen was planned to be built in Mattoon, Illinois to go online by 2013 as a demonstration and to add to United States energy production. However, after the Illinois site was announced, Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman reversed the decision and US Federal government withdrew funding.[12] The project is now in doubt although there is still support for it by industry backers and members of Congress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_coal_technology

Since there's no current "clean coal" plants , where will those jobs come from, Sarah ?

Ever see "clean" coal ? Strip mines, the energy needed to extract it and transport it ?

Build nuclear plants ? How long will that take ?

Back to Sarah :

But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or even a reform, not even in the State Senate.

Really , Sarah ?

Much to the displeasure of his colleagues, Obama promoted an outside commission to handle Senate ethics complaints. He co-authored the lobbying reform bill awaiting President Bush’s signature and pushed — again to the dismay of some colleagues — to include a provision requiring lawmakers to report the names of their lobbyist-bundlers.

http://thinkonthesethings.wordpress.com/2007/08/22/washington-post-on-ethics-reform-obama-leads-the-pack/

At last count, sponsorship of 820 laws in Illinois, and authorship of 152 bills and co-sponsorship of 427 in Washington. The 2007 Ethics Reform bill alone cannot be dismissed as simply non-existent.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/09/palin-on-obama.html

Obama Was A Key Player In Assembling And Passing The 2007 Ethics Reform Law, Which Curbed The Influence Of Lobbyists And Was Described As The "Most Sweeping Since Watergate."

Obama Passed A Bill Creating A "Google-like" Database For The Public To Search Details About Federal Funding Awards.

Obama Passed Into Law Legislation Requiring Lobbyists To Disclose Their Bundling Activity, Making Him Unpopular Even Among Other Democrats.

Obama Passed Illinois Campaign Finance Reform, "Heralded As the Most Sweeping Good-Government Legislation in Decades.

Illinois Campaign for Political Reform: Sponsors Of Ethics Legislation "To Be Strongly Commended" For "Landmark Legislation."

FOREIGN POLICY

Obama Passed Law Requiring Comprehensive Nuclear Threat Reduction Strategy To Secure Weapons And Usable Nuclear Material. "

Obama Passed Bipartisan Legislation That Expanded Health Care Coverage To 154,000 Residents, Including 70,000 Children.

Obama Passed A Bill To Create Hospital Report Cards To Assist Consumers; The Bill Was Sponsored By Members Of Both Parties.

Obama Passed An Amendment Into Law That Pressured The EPA to Comply With New Lead-Paint Regulations After Seven Years of Delay.

EPA Finally Published Nine-Years-Overdue Proposal For Lead Paint Regulations Four Months After Obama Passed Legislation And Held Up EPA Nominations.

Obama Passed A Law Requiring The Defense Secretary To Report On The Pentagon's Efforts To Prepare For Military And Civilian Personnel For A Possible Influenza Outbreak

Obama Passed Health Care Justice Act; IL's Largest Health Care Coalition Applauded Obama's Leadership In Passing the Bill.

Obama Passed Legislation Creating A Tax Credit For The Installation Of E-85 Fuel Pumps.

Obama Passed An Amendment Into Law To Fund Research For Hybrid/Flex Fuel Vehicles.

Obama Passed An Amendment, Which Became Law, Preventing The VA From Conducting A Review Of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Cases Aimed At Reducing Benefits

Obama Passed Legislation, Which Became Law, Improving And Increasing Services For Homeless Veterans.

Obama Passed Law Creating $100 Million Earned Income Tax Credit, Formed A Political Alliance Of Republicans And Democrats To Pass The EITC.

There's many, many, more there to look at....

http://factcheck.barackobama.com/factcheck/2008/01/14/obamas_strong_record_of_accomp.php

And here:
http://www.statesurge.com/members/923-barack-obama-federal

Sarah ? You lied.

This is a man who can give an entire speech about the wars America is fighting and never use the word "victory," except when he's talking about his own campaign.

And no Republican has defined what victory in Iraq means, and when it will occur.

Taxes are too high, and he wants to raise them. His tax increases are the fine print in his economic plan.

My sister, Heather, and her husband, they just built a service station that's now open for business, like millions of others who run small businesses. How are they...

How are they going to be better off if taxes go up? Or maybe you are trying to keep your job at a plant in Michigan or in Ohio...

Or you're trying -- you're trying to create jobs from clean coal, from Pennsylvania or West Virginia.

You're trying to keep a small farm in the family right here in Minnesota.

How are you -- how are you going to be better off if our opponent adds a massive tax burden to the American economy?

On the rich, and on corporations ..... everyone else ?

No. ( Hey, clean coal exists ? )

I think Sarah needs new reading glasses - and an asbestos wardrobe.

Senator McCain's record of actual achievements and reform helps explain why so many special interests, and lobbyists, and comfortable committee chairmen in Congress have fought the prospect of a McCain presidency from the primary election of 2000 to this very day.

And a lot of those lobbyists decided to fight.....from the inside of McCain's offices in 2007-2008.

You're lying , Sarah.

If character is the measure in this election, and hope the theme, and change the goal we share, then I ask you to join our cause.

And from lies comes character ?

If you people actually think that speech was worth the paper it was written on, and you haven't verified what she said in it ( as many seem to have done) , then you will deserve what you will get when you elect them to office.
 Kaos86
Msg: 925
Posted: 9/4/2008 10:46:50 AM
You know she didn't write her speech, don't you?

vulf of course, none of them do.. you do no that ...don't you?

Thanks for pointing out the ignorance of me and everyone else who share a differing opinion from yours.
Every one else is ignorant and stupid.
I know it comes up in all of your posts.
No one is your equal.

The defining characteristic of ignorance is untroubled certainty.

I understand and accept that you are quite certain and most untroubled of your point!
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]