Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 motownmaniax
Msg: 951
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah PalinPage 39 of 104    (25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65)
Gloria is always straight to the point and fervent in her beliefs. I applaud her passion.

The problem with the above is her views are not simple common sense and no-brainers to millions of conservative voters (men and women alike) that hold the same ideals as Palin. There is still a huge swath of middle America that does NOT agree with the values Steinem and the Feminist Movement espouse, and might very well make their voices known come Election Day.

No one should take an Obama win as automatic.

Obama/Biden in 2008!
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 952
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 9/4/2008 3:48:26 PM
Um, the thing is, women who have even once in a freshmen survey course ever in their life thought about any of those ideas and do support them, no matter how casually, who rarely give the issue any thought, IMMEADIATELY had this "uh-uh, no way" reaction to Palin. If they didn't, it's because they are ambivolent about the abortion issue, but not because they can be swayed by Palin's stance.

I'm willing to say though, she delivered her speech well... But I just donated 100 bucks to Obama. Apparently, I'm not the only one. He's raised 8 mil since her speech.
 exodusi1
Msg: 953
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 3:55:00 PM
I have to wait until the weekend, but I think I'll match that effort!

Obama/Biden 08
Yes WE can!
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 954
Posted: 9/4/2008 3:57:18 PM
Slowride,

It's cheaper than moving to Canada.

(nothing against you guys up north, but this is where I get my mail)
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 955
Factcheck..It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 9/4/2008 4:09:00 PM
Frankly, I'm baffled by her. And it's turning into a bizarre fascination. I mean, what was her strategy? To announce her intention to seek the number 2 position in the world, make only 2 public speechs that contain hardly a single line that isn't a complete, easy to refute lie or exaggeration and then hide from the press and let that GIANT LIAR impression sink in while all of moderate america then learns in horror that all of her stands on the issues are too far right for anyone's taste but a select group?

I mean, is John McCain doing some weird experiment or something?
 exodusi1
Msg: 956
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 4:12:07 PM
Have you ever seen Trading Places?

I think dubya was a joke, someone won a dollar!

Now, it looks like double or nothing!

Next well have the Orangatan from Any Which Way But Loose with Reagan's corpse and the 23% will STILL FREAKING VOTE FOR THEM!
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 957
Posted: 9/4/2008 4:15:17 PM
I'm starting to think John McCain is a maverick genius. By throwing out a completely indefensible candidate and then forcing everyone to defend it, he's essentially exposing everyone who steps forward to do it and the entire filthy machine, from the pundits to the press, to Benedict Lieberman and Rudy G. How can anyone take them seriously now?

And he's managed to expose alot of entrenched, thoughtless voters in america, too.

I'm not going to vote for John McCain, but I'm always going to remember him fondly.
 o4
Msg: 958
Posted: 9/4/2008 4:22:06 PM
I mean, is John McCain doing some weird experiment or something?

I mean this post not as a pro or con, right or left....

This whole week, since last Friday when McCain announced Sarah as his running mate, has just completely cracked me up on the terms of what makes each of us creatures what we are.

From where I am at, Sarah Palin is just so OBVIOUSLY right for the job that it stuns me! How John found her, I'm not really certain. But the pick is just so absolutely right, that there's no arguing it to me or probably others who see this.

On the other hand too though, there are several out there in these threads that JUST DON'T GET HER, AND NEVER WILL! And that's not necessarily anybody's "fault", but rather more probably just a sign of how different we ALL are. Nobody is perfect to all people.

The part that cracks me up? ......That all of us actually think that we can debate this to a conclusion? No. We can all vent or show elation to each other.......but let's all keep some basics in perspective too and just know that a bunch of what we've seen in these threads this week says more about human nature more than anything else.
 Barredbard
Msg: 959
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 4:26:44 PM
Doubtlessly, the truth had stretch marks when she was done with her speech yesterday. Although she came dangerously close to telling outright fibs, I will not fault a politican for stretching the truth. As Caesar said to his cohorts "give the people what they want." He may have regretted his indulgence while he lay unmourned on the senate floor dying from multiple stab wounds, but it is far too soon to predict that end for the comely Ms. Palin. A certain amount of puffing and inflating is rather the norm with politicians, and the fault is rather with the audience than it is with the man or woman at the podium. Oh, how an audience loves a puppeteer and a consumate magician. With the flick of a wand he is supposed to dispel the worries and fears of the gathered faithful. The audience is rather aware that they are being unscrupulously wooed, but they'd rather have that than a chastisement. This is arguably why Jesus was not overly popular with the Pharisees and the Sadducees; he promised damnation and a scourge, rather than the usual profuse but empty assurances of bountiful harvests....
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 960
Posted: 9/4/2008 4:38:37 PM
o4,

I voted for john mccain, and I don't get what HE sees in her. Maybe I just don't get him and never did.
 Simlasa
Msg: 961
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 4:43:29 PM
On the other hand too though, there are several out there in these threads that JUST DON'T GET HER, AND NEVER WILL!

Oh, I think we get her... that's why we are so outraged against her...
From where I stand she is a fundamentalist nutjob who wants to impose her will on other people (trying to ban books, make abortion illegal, get creationism taught in schools).
She's got a fairly basic education (BA in journalism) and has up until now shown no real interest in the world outside of Alaska.

It's nice that she is an 'ordinary' person... not third in line of some presidential lineage... not coming from old money or deep inside the circles of Washington politics... but those are all things I get with Obama too... in addition to a first rate mind, a stellar academic background, and a proven record of being interested in stuff outside of his own backyard... plus, he doesn't want to sell me any crap about 'christian' values.
 Simlasa
Msg: 962
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 4:52:19 PM
Yes, but he's not pushing to make other people live by fundamentalist dogma.
I haven't seen him supporting creationism or an across the board ban on abortion... he doesn't talk about the Iraq war being 'Gods plan'.
 mungojoe
Msg: 963
Posted: 9/4/2008 5:24:33 PM

Double-Standard Bearers on Parade.
I love it when they trip over themselves. Take any thread, in another era, flip the words. and voila'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/04/jon-stewart-hits-karl-rov_n_123852.html

Hard to make this stuff up.

I always get a kick out of watching the Republicans trying to co-opt the language of gender/race equality based on their distorted perceptions of what it actualy means.

It's like watching the little ones playing "dress up", they try so hard but can't ever get it quite right. Rather than appearing as grown-ups, they still come across as children playing pretend.
 exodusi1
Msg: 964
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 5:27:32 PM
The ONLY thing I am hopeful of is that the little one with Downs inspires those on the right to ACTUALLY be a little more compassionate in REAL life.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 965
Posted: 9/4/2008 5:31:14 PM
Hardly. she cut spending in AK by 65% for special needs kids.

She's also ardent NRA, but one of the gripes of her aide, who was trying to get her brother in law canned was, he had all this bad behavior, and he threatened sara's sister, but is still allowed to walk around with a gun.

Really?

She wants a dangerous guy's gun taken away but not so long as he's just going to shoot his own wife with it and just so long as she's not related to the governor?
 ________
Msg: 966
Posted: 9/4/2008 5:39:11 PM
Well -- if I lived in the US -- which I don't -- I would have a very hard time voting for the Democrats on this one. Anyone that has wanted to be President since learning to walk, but has never had an executive post, never operated a business, never administered a town, city, county or a state -- has already written his memoirs twice and he hasn't even done much except make inspirational speeches sets off some serious alarms for me.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 967
Posted: 9/4/2008 5:54:22 PM
Meanwhile, Palin made her first post RNC appearance today, she read from some cards and her spokeswoman hurled a few accusations that there's a nasty story about Sarah on daily kos, which liberal don't even take seriously. I'd get my news from perez hilton before the daily kos.

So I'm seriously just thinking of voting for her spokeswoman as a write-in, cause she showing far more courage and preparedness.
 Barredbard
Msg: 968
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 5:58:54 PM
'Well -- if I lived in the US -- which I don't -- I would have a very hard time voting for the Democrats on this one. Anyone that has wanted to be President since learning to walk, but has never had an executive post, never operated a business, never administered a town, city, county or a state -- has already written his memoirs twice and he hasn't even done much except make inspirational speeches sets off some serious alarms for me'

Interesting. But since you don't live in the US, I take it that you don't feel threatened by the thought of someone with all those anger management issues, possible senility and with no evidence of an intellect, becoming the president of the US? If you are not, you ought to be. Remember that the US has the most advanced weaponry in the world. We are not exactly hoping to strap nuclear war heads to the back of a shaggy goat and direct it to find our enemies; our delivery system is very precise. If that doesn't bother you as a member of the international community, I envy your fortitude. Mistaken though it might be. McCain is more of a warrior than Bush ever was. The lizards bob their heads in homage at his passage. They realize what danger he represents. You ought to be quaking in your boots, moccasins or slippers or whatever your preferred footwear is.

To say nothing of Obama, who has a law degree from one of the most prestigious universities in the US and by extension, the world. Who is familiar with legislatures and how they operate. Who engenders good will, wherever he goes. You ought to set up an image of him in your parlor and pray every morning that he ascends to the oval office in lieu of McCain. That would be prudent. And I d rather have a man who has been coveting the presidency for some time. He probably has some well laid out plans. As opposed to some other person who might have been having her morning coffee when she was informed that she was a prime candidate for the executive office....
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 969
Posted: 9/4/2008 6:00:52 PM

Interesting. But since you don't live in the US, I take it that you don't feel threatened by the thought of someone with all those anger management issues, possible senility and with no evidence of an intellect, becoming the president of the US?

for a minute, I thought you meant Palin.
 Barredbard
Msg: 970
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 6:05:49 PM
'for a minute, I thought you meant Palin.'

Never mind. I thought you said you thought I was Palin..
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 971
Posted: 9/4/2008 6:18:13 PM
huh?

no, just saying both Palin and McCain seem to act rather impulsively (based on Palin's firing rumors and all her tiny little violations like looking at confidential files and what not)
 Barredbard
Msg: 972
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 6:19:57 PM
Right. Long day. I totally misread your statement. I wonder where that gentleman was from and how much he knows of US politics...
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 973
Posted: 9/4/2008 6:38:05 PM
Just saw a video at the RNC on Cindy McCain... McCain should've chosen HER as his VP, she is waaaayyyy more qualified than Sarah Palin.
 Simlasa
Msg: 974
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 6:40:29 PM
McCain is his own man

McCain WAS his own man... at some point... in the past.
I remember rooting for him when he decried the Religious Right trying to bluster their way into politics. I remember rooting for him when he recognized the issue of climate change. I remember rooting for him when he was pushing his campaign finance bill. I rooted for him when he opposed GW Bushes tax cuts. I rooted for him when he shut down Mitt Romney over the U.S. promoting torture.
But that was then... and this is now... and McCain's surrounded himself with a lot of the usual suspects (and toadies who front for them)... he's backed off of just about all the 'maverick' stances he once had. He's got his nose so far up the butt of the 'christian' fundamentalists that he must be breathing out the back of his head...
Where is that man that McCain WAS?... I wish he'd come back.
 jelunc
Msg: 975
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 6:53:27 PM
Damn, you sure look like Palin.
Are you wearing those heels that man liked so much?
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]