Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 1026
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah PalinPage 42 of 104    (28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68)
Whatever, crayon. If you keep insisting on voting republican no matter how bad they treat you and how much they steal from our treasury, then you'll totally deserve it when Cheney steals your last drop of social security money and spends it on his own private turbo batchelor nuclear sub with plush leopard skin velvet seats and blue neon tube lighting surrounding his full bar. If you donate to the campaign on top of all the dough you're letting them steal, maybe he'll even take you for a spin in it! (Though I doubt it).
 Barredbard
Msg: 1027
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 9/14/2008 3:19:40 AM
Obama is a multi tasker's dream come true; he surpasses even Palin in this regard. Its amazing he's had all these unsavory friends. He is friends with Timothy McVeigh. Oh, I know the man's dead, but Obama's friendship transcends even death. He was friends with Hitler, although the man is/was - oh, I don't know - about 50 years his senior. He was friends with Mohammed Ali, the errant boxer and counselled him not to participate in the Vietnam war. He is also friends with Ossama Bin Laden; apparently the man saw the similarities between the names as being so striking that he declared his undying loyalty to Obama. Obama even found time to befriend Saddam Hussein - the friendly tyrant - before he was executed. He had looked into his eyes - like Bush did with Putin - and saw a kindred soul. During the Cold War, Obama dined regularly with the Politburo, and Gobarchev was his bosom friend, calling him 'a brother from another mother.' In honor of him, the Politburo proposed concocting a drink called the 'Black Russian,' to counterbalance the already existing 'White Russian.' In fact every 'merchant of evil' regardless of how highly or lowly placed, has found a friend in Obama, prince of thieves.

It is always dreadful to watch a republican eat, swallow and digest his own party's propaganda, with no research done about where the food came from. (It could have come from the unhygienic plantations of a swineherd, or from orchards adjoining a garbage disposal). Kind of like a canine eating its own excretion (i.e. shit). Show me any proof that these were ALL Obama's friends, and I will crown McCain the emperor of the contemporary continental US. You kind of owe it to yourself, if not to your nation, not to be a pawn in someone else's game. I research everything Obama says; I take nothing for granted. I also research McCain's utterances, to give him his due. Same for Madame Palin, and the results have not been palatable. You, on the other hand, are content to sit and eat scraps handed out under the table. If the best you can do is spout groundless contentions, surmise and conjecture, then I recommend exiting the forum and appropriating a bull horn on your way out. A bullhorn is far more effective when talking to a cowed audience...
 Barredbard
Msg: 1028
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 5:44:51 AM
Certain republicans - not all of them - had already engendered rumors that he was a Muslim. Fact Check: You can't simultaenously be a Christian and a Muslim. One religion necessarily contradicts the other, and even a world class juggler could scarcely hope to espouse the doctrines propagated by both. That being the case, a republican must choose which controversy delights him the most. Similarly, to be a man is the same as not being a woman, just as to be black cannot be the same same as being white. A republican must either choose to talk about Reverend Wright - and denounce Obama as a Christian schmuck who had the temerity to sit in the congregation at church and listen to his minister malign the US - or he could choose instead to allege that Obama is a rabid Muslim who owes his allegiance to the Middle East or Farrakhan. One accusation/theory/conclusion necessarily consumes the other. So choose, and choose wisely...
 Eric2008
Msg: 1029
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 6:10:39 AM
Mccain will cut taxes to individuals a little, but to corporations A LOT.

Obama will cut taxes to individuals making less than 227k almost equal to mccain. He will cut taxes almost 800 a year more than mccain from people making between 66k-122k. He will cut them even more significantly for people making less than 66K

However, obama will make up the difference to the budget by putting a windfall tax on oil companies, who have had a record profit year.

So you get a little bigger tax cut, but if you buy anything that is shipped by freight you will have to pay more for it.You know like food,anything in the store,and gas.You'll have to pay more for heating your house because fuel oil will be higher because the oil company will pass Obama's tax on to you.The higher cost of diesel will be passed on to you because the freight company will charge more to deliver all items to the store because his fuel will cost more and the retailer will pass the high freight charges to you.Did you know that the profit margin that the oil companies make is smaller than McDonalds?Are we going to have a windfall tax on Big Macs?
Did you know that every major Economics Expert says that Obama's tax plan would send us into the biggest depression in the history of the world?
You know that raise you want? You will not get it if Obama gets elected.Your boss whether it is a small business or a large Corporation will pay your raise to the federal government to pay Obama's taxes.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 1030
Posted: 9/14/2008 6:10:58 AM
So, which is it neocons? Was obama a dutiful follower of rev. Wright, who is CHRISTIAN, or is he a muslim?

And why are you so afraid of either?

I mean, muslims hate pork right? And that is pretty much the only issue mccain/palin will bring up these days.

They love to talk about cutting spending, because all the simpletons won't go on the internet to find the budget numbers (only unprovable rumors about the guy who will really lower your taxes)

Here's the news, even if he cut all the earmark spending completely, it only amounts to 19 billion, not enough to cover the 600 billion tax cut stimulus he proposes.

Not to mention, now, palin is running around changing her story that not ALL earmarks are bad (especially the ones she took)

I think you should all keep a better eye on your own candidate. They talk out both sides of their mouths every day, but they know you don't care about these contradictions. That's why the campaign can make you believe obama is both a radical christian and a muslim at the same time.

By all means, vote for the man who will steal america from your children, by borrowing 600 billion a year and using that money to give corporations a tax cut and prop up their already high bottom lines.

And rather than speculate about obamas relationship with these people who you suspect must have arab ties, or teerrorist motives, think about the 7 lobbyists openly and notoriously working on mccains campaign. The nature of their influence on mccain doesn't require any speculation; they RUN HIS CAMPAIGN.

Check on your own guy, please. Obama supporters have heard about those other guys for 19 months, and it doesn't matter, his economic and foreign policy positions are good.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 1031
Posted: 9/14/2008 6:20:53 AM
Actually eric, I will get that raise I want, because I have an advanced degree. That will always be the case in life, when times get tough, people in the professions will still earn more, and average joes will get screwed. I'm voting for obama anyway, because I'm tired of hearing about how poor the dirt farmers in the midwest are and how schools in georgia are losing their accredidation. I truly hope the next generation has the opportunity to go to law school or business school, and not get screwed over every time republicans steal all the money in their clever little ways.

I don't know which experts YOU follow, I imagine you meet them at church, but consider alan greenspan's opinion on mccain's tax plan, even though greenspan is jewish. I know that probably means what he says means nothing to you, and you probably read on the internet that he associates with militants, however, he was head of the fed when the country was prosperous and probably know more about it than your pastor.
 faith2565
Msg: 1032
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 6:32:07 AM
Please get off of religion. Huckabee is the religous one.
 jelunc
Msg: 1033
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 7:00:32 AM

How does one take into account the slip of the tongue during an interview where Mr. Obama's is talking about religion and he says something to the affect that "McCain hasn't brought up my Muslim faith..."

The interviewer corrected him by saying "You mean your Christian faith?"

Mr. Obama simply said "Oh... Yeah." and continued on without even a thought to what he had said. There was no clarification or addressing of that afterward. Makes you wonder.

If it makes you wonder you have probably never had many things on your mind at once while trying to make a point.
If it makes you wonder you have probably never been in a position in which you know that certain people are going to believe whatever the hell they want to believe no matter what the truth is.
If it makes you wonder you have way too much time on your hands.
 Eric2008
Msg: 1034
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 7:09:03 AM
Alan Greenspan says the country can't afford tax cuts of the magnitude proposed by Republican presidential contender John McCain — at least not without a corresponding reduction in government spending.

"Unless we cut spending, no," the former Federal Reserve chairman said Friday when asked McCain's proposed tax cuts, pegged in some estimates at $3.3 trillion.

I'm voting for obama anyway, because I'm tired of hearing about how poor the dirt farmers in the midwest are and how schools in georgia are losing their accredidation. I truly hope the next generation has the opportunity to go to law school or business school, and not get screwed over every time republicans steal all the money in their clever little ways.

The only schools in Ga losing accreditation are run by a exclusively democrat school board that spent the districts money on board perks and not the children.If you don't care about the dirt poor farmers in the mid-west you must not want to eat.

Actually eric, I will get that raise I want, because I have an advanced degree. That will always be the case in life, when times get tough, people in the professions will still earn more, and average joes will get screwed.

Your quote above shows that maybe you need to review what your candidate says who he wants to help.....the Average joe.You also must want to ride your bicycle to work because the windfall oil profit taxes will make gas $9.00 a gallon next year because the Oil Companies will still make the same percentage profit without a constitutional amendment determining the percentage profit any company can make.I want the Average Joe to get something also.
 Barredbard
Msg: 1035
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 7:09:23 AM
'Because experience is important. Duh.'

Uhm. Here we go again. I thought I had already squared this issue away. W. Bush was the governor of Texas before he ascended to the White House. His father - a more astute man - had been president before him. His brother was also the governor of Florida. He had so much experience the lizards bobbed their heads in homage at his passing. He had more experience than a London prostitute. Yet that did not stop him from sodomizing the nation during his reign.

'I compare Obama to Bush. An overrated neophyte running a campaign as a Washington outsider, looking to mix things up.'

This one is puzzling, if not downright asinine. Bush was never a neophyte or a fledgling. He is the nearest thing we have to the royal family in England. He had the very same experience Madame Palen brags about as the ex-governor of Texas. He was very experienced in imposing capital punishment. Even more so if one throws in the nuclear family. And maybe things do need to be mixed up this time around.

'Biden has been in the Senate longer. So much for Obama's "change".'

Biden has little hopes of becoming the President with Obama in office, unless one of our more pious, gun-toting republican assasinates him. Obama does represent change, and Biden will merely be the Vice President. A vice president does not usually have much of an influence over the President. Bush is the rare exception, since Cheney is wearing the trousers in that relationship when he isn't out hunting. This is why the thought of McCain becoming the next President is so blood curdling. He might just croak, and we will find ourselves at the tender mercies of a vengeful hockey mum. Among other things, the Vice President's role would include 'presiding' over the senate. Ordinarily.

'That's a ludicrous argument. You cannot be seriously comparing leading a handful of children to managing the resources of the state with the largest land area.'

Oh, but I am. Those capricious children are more of a challenge than the redoubtable Palin ever faced as a governor. Being the governor of one of our more isolated states hardly qualifies any individual, man or woman, for the intricacies of Washington politics and the day to day grind of the nation's affairs.

'Democrats fumbled this one big time. They could have nominated BOTH experience and intellect: Hillary Clinton. They chose to go with the slick-talking charismatic orator instead. Big error.'

Now this is downright laughable. For years the republicans have disdained Clinton and the Clinton legacy. Mention Clinton anywhere and they started literally foaming at the mouth. The ones living in the rural areas would go for their guns. Never a good word had emerged from any stalwart republican about the Clintons, even during the campaign between Hillary and Obama. Now all of a sudden, after she was defeated by Obama, they have gained a new-found respect and admiration for her. This subterfuge - and make no mistake, it is definitely a subterfuge - is a very tranparent one. You want Hillary because you think that McCain would have made mince meat of her. In any case, she'd be a better candidate than Obama, with his questionable heritage and ethnicity. Ha! In a land founded on republican principles, charisma is now a bad thing? Popularity is now a thing to be scorned? I am not buying.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 1036
Posted: 9/14/2008 8:11:31 AM
Eric,

In fact I do ride my bike to work. Many people do. Because these are tough times and it saves money/conserves oil.

The fact is, there must be a tax somewhere, and obamas tax plan makes sure that the lowest income brackets will get a rebate precisely because the cost of living is rising. We have been at war for 7 years. Someone has to pay that bill. There are many men who left for combat young and are still there, or injured or dead, and they have given up more than a few thousand in disposable income. I am in a higher bracket, but I am voting for obama because it is good for everybody. Yes, I DO care that dirt farmers are so poor that they can't raise their kids, and because I have a law degree, you can bet there will be plenty of work for me when financial industries buy each other out, the government takes over fannie mae. Do you have any idea how much money big law firms make off of those transactions?

So anyone with any conscience and any patriotism in those industries (new york, boston) are voting democrat, because the tax plan is fair, because they will stop creating wars that make the military industrial complex rich, and the dirt farmers and their injured soldier sons even more poor.

There has to be a tax to pay the bill on this war. We'll all pay a little through higher prices, perhaps, but its crazy to think we can all live the good life and keep borrowing on top of the national debt so that we back home don't have to cut our consumption of pinky sparkly phones and 300 dollar sneakers.

Just suck it up and pay for that war you were pumping your fists about and screaming USA USA about at your rally.
 packleader
Msg: 1037
Posted: 9/14/2008 8:19:33 AM
Who Am I?

I am under 45 years old, I love the outdoors, I hunt, I am a
Republican
reformer, I have taken on the Republica n Party establishment, I have
many
children, I have a spot on the national ticket as vice president with
less
than two years in the governor's office.

Did you guess?

I am Teddy Roosevelt in 1900
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 1038
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 8:47:25 AM
I am 43 years old.
I hunt, I am a Republican reformer.
I was selected by the neocons,
I looked into banning books from a library,
I can see England, I can see France,
I can see Russia and that's my foreign policy stance,
I change my speeches when I visit different towns.

Did you guess ?

Right....how obvious.

CARSON CITY, Nevada (CNN) — Sarah Palin's reputation for rarely deviating from a scripted stump speech as she travels from city to city is not entirely accurate.

She’s open to changing a few lines here and there — depending on the audience.

Consider her speech Saturday in Nevada, site of the proposed Yucca Mountain Repository, a controversial project that would store radioactive waste in Nevadans’ backyard. At nearly every campaign stop over the last two weeks, Palin has touted McCain’s plan to expand nuclear energy, including storage and reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel.

“In a McCain-Palin administration, we’re going to expand nuclear energy, expand our use of alternative fuels, and drill now to make this nation energy independent,” she said to cheers last week in Lee’s Summit, Missouri.

But in Carson City, where the Yucca issue hits closer to home, that remark about expanding nuclear energy disappeared.

Palin also gave a pair of modified stump speeches during her recent Welcome Home tour in Alaska that did not mention the notorious Gravina Island Bridge, subject of her usual applause line on the campaign trail that “I told the Congress ‘thanks but no thanks’ for that Bridge to Nowhere."

The Alaska governor routinely cites her opposition to the bridge on the trail to reinforce her reformer reputation, but fact-check groups and the Obama campaign have noted out that Palin supported building the bridge before she came out against it.

At rallies last week in Fairbanks and Anchorage, where Palin's original position in favor of the bridge is well-known, her “thanks but no thanks” was left behind in the Lower 48.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

"Ladies and Gentlemen of Fairbanks ......I say thanks, but no thanks.....to the truth. "
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 1039
Posted: 9/14/2008 9:14:22 AM
In all honesty, McCain doesn't have the "experience" that people are talking about.

How's that? Barack Obama was in college when McCain won his first term in the House of Representatives.

Don't you think that Obama has learned what the job of a Senator entails in his 8 years just as McCain has?

Eight years doing what? Obama hasn't been in the Senate 8 years. He will be in 4 years next January. He started running for office 2 years ago, and has done precious little in his time in the Senate.

What would the other 16 years add to Obama's experience that would qualify him as fully and finally experienced enough for you?

Now you've really lost me. Obama was in the Illinois Senate from 1997 - 2004, or 7 years. So if you combine all of his years in any kind of public office, that is 11 years.

McCain learned his job as a Senator after 8 years as well...he's been on cruise control for the last 16. I mean really, if you elect a senator or governor and they do a horrid job their first term, they usually get voted out. That would mean they didn't learn....but Obama was reelected.

HUH????

Obama has served less than one term in the US Senate, he won't be up for reelection for 2 years.

I'm beginning to wonder if you support Obama because you don't understand how little time in public office he has.

Now Palin, with her 20 months of experience as governor, is another story. They are trying to say she was the head of the National Guard in Alaska, but has she made one decision or one executive action as such? I'd like to see one. And to think that she'd possibly be in command of our military, especially in these critical times, is very scary.

You may think that, and you are not entirely without a point. However, I find it much less frightening to have a VP admittedly lacking in experience than a PRESIDENT equally lacking in experience.

She is just a campaign trick, a slight of hand they are using. She has little self respect if you ask me, to be propped up like the cute little puppet they are using her as. The speech she gave at the convention really disgusted me. Not only the words she used, because we know that speech was written long before McCain actually made his choice,

And your basis for making that statement is????

If the CEO of the hospital my boss is affiliated with saw me once at a meeting, heard some good things about me called me up one day and said--hey Kiss My Karma--how'd you like to be head of the finance committee--I heard you're a really good biller and liked the money saving idea you sent to us about how to reduce toilet paper costs??

Uh, no. Being a billing clerk in a hospital is not a management job. Supposing that you were just the best billing clerk the CEO had ever seen, he'd promote you to a management position supervising billing clerks. Then when he saw that you did a great job there, he'd suggest that you study for the CPA, and give you financial help in doing that. And, you'd rise up the ranks accordingly.

Any person who was not a narcissist would be the same if you ask me. She's clearly not ready for the job they are putting her up for. And the sad thing is that she probably doesn't see that she is a campaign tool in an attempt to win the election.

Presidents and VPs commonly come from the ranks for federal legislators and governors, and being a state governor Sarah Palin is qualified. A comparable rise from billing clerk to CEO of a hospital, would be if Sarah Palin was a secretary in the Governors office, and then nominated VP because she had some great ideas.

Sarah Palin is the equivalent of the CEO, not the billing clerk.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 1040
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 10:19:39 AM
The Road To The Bridge To Nowhere....

Last night, C-SPAN re-aired the 2006 Alaska gubernatorial debate, in which Sarah Palin expressed her support for an earmark related to the famed “Bridge to Nowhere.”

Congress had already removed earmarked-funding for the Bridge to Nowhere in Ketchikan, Alaska. Despite the fact that the bridge was not going to be built, then-Gov. Frank Murkowski approved the construction of a $24 million gravel “access” road (the Gravina Island Access Highway) that would lead to a nonexistent bridge.

In the 2006 debate, Palin was asked whether she supported this earmark, or whether she would pledge to cancel it as governor. Rather than responding with “thanks but no thanks” to federal funding for this “access” road, Palin said:

I wouldn’t [cancel the project]. I’m not going to stand in the way of progress that our congressional delegation — in the position of strength that they have right now — they’re making those efforts for the state of Alaska to build up our infrastructure. I would not get in the way of progress.

Independent candidate Andrew Halcro responded that he would cancel the project, explaining “this isn’t progress. This is a road to a bridge that will never be built.” Watch it:

In June 2007, Ronald Utt, a fellow at the conservative Heritiage Foundation, offered this recommendation for what Palin should do with the funds:

Gov. Palin could return the money for the gravel “access” road to Washington, perhaps even with a request that the money go to rebuild hurricane-ravaged Louisiana and Mississippi. While Alaska, or any state for that matter, naturally is reluctant to return money to the federal government, doing so is the responsible and ethical thing to do and likely would benefit Alaska in the long run.

Palin did no such thing. To this day, the state of Alaska “is continuing to build a road on Gravina Island to an empty beach where the bridge would have gone — because federal money for the access road, unlike the bridge money, would have otherwise been returned to the federal government.”

Also, CQ notes that there is “a second bridge, more than twice as expensive and just as controversial” as the canceled Bridge to Nowhere in Katchikan. Palin has expressed concern about the project “but hasn’t tried to kill [it] off.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/09/08/palin-bridge-access-road/

The Alaska governor campaigned in 2006 on a build-the-bridge platform, telling Ketchikan residents she felt their pain when politicians called them "nowhere." They're still feeling pain today in Ketchikan, over Palin's subsequent decision to use the bridge funds for other projects -- and over the timing of her announcement, which they say came in a pre-dawn press release that seemed aimed at national news deadlines.

"I think that's when the campaign for national office began," said Ketchikan Mayor Bob Weinstein on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Weinstein noted, the state is continuing to build a road on Gravina Island to an empty beach where the bridge would have gone -- because federal money for the access road, unlike the bridge money, would have otherwise been returned to the federal government.

http://www.adn.com/sarahpalin/story/511471.html
 geeleebee
Msg: 1041
Posted: 9/14/2008 11:29:22 AM
This is such a non-issue.
Obviously, Obama was talking about McCain not raising doubts about him being a Muslim.

"Well, what I'm saying is that he hasn't suggested that I'm a Muslim. And I think that his campaign's upper echelons have not, either."

Know why McCain hasn't raised this issue? Cuz there isn't one. Period.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 1042
Posted: 9/14/2008 12:18:29 PM

What's he governed? What executive decisions has he made? What's he been the leader of other than a squadron more than 30 years ago? That's "how's that".

No one on the two tickets has executive experience EXCEPT for Sarah Palin. However, 21 years in the Senate is a whole lot more than 3 years 9 months in the Senate, especially when you've been running for President for two of them.

Which is it....4, 7, or 11? When I said eight, I was referring to the 7 he's been been in the Senate, which I think is close to 8 now, is it not?

Reading is fundamental.

I said above that Obama will be in the US SENATE 4 years this coming January. He HAS NOT been in the Senate 8 years. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama

He was in the ILLINOIS Senate for 7 years.

So 4 years US SENATE plus 7 years ILLINOIS SENATE = 11 years TOTAL EXPERIENCE

Obama has learned his job sufficiently in the amount of time he's been a Senator, and I would guess that after the same amount of time McCain would have learned his job as well. If they hadn't learned their jobs, they'd be out on their behinds.

How's that? The Senate was in session for 143 days before Obama cast his hat in the ring for the Presidency. So in reality Obama has 143 days of Senate experience.

McCain will be lacking in the same experience that Obama is lacking, as neither one has done the job before. Why do people not see that.

I've never argued that point. Experience in the Senate DOES NOT equal experience as a state governor. There are some issues on which we do agree.

However, in the case of Joe Biden he is completely making up for Obama's lack of experience. The only place in which I see Obama adding something is in better public speaking abilities, at least when he has prepared text.

On the other hand, Sarah Palin's experience as a governor is ADDITIVE to McCains, the two together are a better ticket than the one alone.

I believe it was on the CNN convention coverage, and I've read it in an article since then as well.

Well, I'll hold you to the same standard that others have held me. Show me something in writing, and that something in writing should not be a left wing site like the Huffington Post. (Hey if FOX isn't a credible source for the right . . . then)

Ok, let's go with your CEO idea. She is the CEO of Aunt Fannies Candies that are displayed in shoe boxes on the counter at your local mom and pop gas station....and they are asking her to become the CEO of Google.

Um, ok. Alaska has the 30th biggest operating budget among US states at $11.2 billion, Arkansas operating budget is $4.3 billion. So by that rationale, Bill Clinton was the CEO of a paper route.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 1043
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 12:39:11 PM

Well, I'll hold you to the same standard that others have held me. Show me something in writing, and that something in writing should not be a left wing site like the Huffington Post.

OK.

The clues are in the text itself. Scully started working on the vice-presidential speech a week ago, before he or anyone else knew who the nominee would be, and it's not hard to pick out the parts that would have been the same regardless of who delivered it. Scully unspooled two centrist themes via Palin that have been key to the McCain message: the idea that the Republican nominee puts service to country ahead of career and the notion that he's the true representative of Middle America. Both themes implicitly push Obama and Biden to the left, and Scully made them explicit with lines accusing the Democrats of élitism and talking down to working-class voters.

Once Palin was chosen, Scully tailored the speech to the Alaska governor, highlighting her biography and using her PTA background and local political experience (contrasted so memorably with Obama's work as a community organizer) to bolster his two themes. Where much media attention in the wake of her surprise naming has focused on Palin's views on cultural issues like abortion, the speech carefully steered away from ideological touchstones. Palin was shown as an average mainstream American looking to bring change to Washington, further bolstering McCain's overarching message of reforming the wasteful Federal Government.

Scully was a good choice to help moderate Palin's right-wing image. A veteran of the early Bush White House, his specialty was crafting Bush's pro-life message in a way that would not offend soccer moms or mainstream Catholics who get nervous around some of the more extreme Evangelical rhetoric. A former protégé of the late pro-life Democratic governor of Pennsylvania, Bob Casey, Scully has a history of finding rhetorical unity for voters on the right and in the center.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1838808,00.html

Time Magazine good enough for you, or too left wing ?

Wednesday's speech is being written by Matthew Scully, a former George W. Bush speechwriter. He first met Gov. Palin Thursday night at a hotel in Middleton, Ohio, where she was in seclusion until last Friday's announcement. The pair spent several hours working on her remarks for that day, an adviser said, and they hit it off. As soon as that was done, Mr. Scully turned his attention to the convention address.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122039868736392867.html

Wall Street Journal ?

It was comforting to learn that Sarah Palin has entrusted her first make-or-break speech to my friend Matthew Scully, the former Bush speechwriter (maybe he can slip in a line vowing to take on the factory farms!) What are the key goals for the Palin address tonight?

http://blog.beliefnet.com/crunchycon/2008/09/sarah-palins-big-speech.html

Republican blogger ?

Consider that the man who wrote Palin’s speech, Matthew Scully, also wrote speeches for Vice President Dan Quayle (as did I), Vice President****Cheney, and President George W. Bush. Scully has produced many excellent speeches over the years.

http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2075079/posts

Free Republic ?
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 1044
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 1:00:59 PM
If "experience" meant so much for CEO's, then your business markets should not be in the state they are in right now. Highly educated men, with years of experience, ran those companies into the ground.

The same thing happened when the US went to war with Iraq. Highly educated and trained professionals screwed up that war from the start.

Experience counts, but only when one has the ability and judgment to use it.

Obama's record has shown (over and over again) that he has exactly those qualities.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 1045
Posted: 9/14/2008 2:35:16 PM
Should "experience" as a Governor automatically trump other attributes such as insight and vision in making our nation a better country for our citizens and also as a major force in the leadership of the world in which we live?

You need BOTH. The Governor of Texas is largely a ceremonial position. The Lt. Governor is the one who deals with the legislature. So Bush did not have the experience nor, as we found out, the insight.

Obama's record has shown (over and over again) that he has exactly those qualities.

I haven't seen any evidence of this. Voting PRESENT sure doesn't convince me, nor does running for your next office the minute you step into your current one.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 1046
Posted: 9/14/2008 2:45:49 PM
In Alaska the responsibility of running the government rests in the Governor, like it does in most states. Texas is an exception. I don't know the responsibilities of EVERY governor in the US, so I can't tell you if there are other states in which this is also the case.

v v v v v v He was playing politics, just like BOTH McCain and Obama are doing now. However, McCain is making Palin part of a ticket. She's not running for President.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 1047
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 2:53:08 PM
McCain thought being a governor of a state didn't count for very much against Romney, back in January '08 at the Republican debate in the Reagan library. fly.

COOPER: I'm going to ask you all for follow-ups on this, but, Senator McCain, I just want to give you an opportunity to follow up on that. Is Governor Romney ready to be a military commander?

MCCAIN: Oh, I'm sure that, as I say, he's a fine man. And I think he managed companies, and he bought, and he sold, and sometimes people lost their jobs. That's the nature of that business.

But the fact is -- but the fact is we're at a time in our history -- we're in a time in our history where you can't afford any on-the- job training. And I believe that my experience and background qualifies me to lead.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/30/GOPdebate.transcript/

And Romney had TWICE as much experience as governor as Palin has, in a much larger state, and that still wasn't enough.

Willard Mitt Romney (born March 12, 1947) is an American businessman and former Governor of Massachusetts. Romney is also a former candidate for the Republican nomination in the 2008 United States presidential election.

Romney was CEO of Bain & Company, a management consulting firm, and co-founder of Bain Capital, a private equity investment firm. After his business career and serving as CEO of the 2002 Winter Olympics, Romney was elected as the 70th Governor of Massachusetts in 2002. Romney served one term and did not seek re-election in 2006; his term expired January 4, 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitt_Romney

FAR more experience than Palin, across the board.

And McCain said the job of President in this time in your country's history was no place for "on the job training" .

So fly, was he lying then....or is he lying now ?
 designingwoman
Msg: 1048
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 4:48:33 PM
McCain and Palin are not the people who would address a problem that is being currently ignored: our soaring deficits and the national debt.

Obama and Biden are more realistic when it comes to this issue: They will let Bush's stupid tax cuts for the rich(which put us in this situation in the first place!! ) expire. They have also mentioned closing corporate loopholes, raising taxes for companies that outsource (About d*** time!!) and eliminating the ceiling for Social Security/Medicare payroll taxes (again about d*** time!!). Also, Obama is good friends with our governor in Massachusetts. Gov. Patrick has been working hard to deal with the financial mess left by Mitt the (unprintable) Romney. He has been working to restore financial stability to the state, and I know that Gov. Patrick will give excellent fiscal advice to President Obama!!

I agree with the poster who compared Palin and Biden: Biden is Ghandi while Palin was compared to some doofus. Biden is brilliant, capable, and the kind of guy who can do so much for President Obama and our country.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008!!!!!!!
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 1049
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 5:04:49 PM

.Sure hes fit to run the country ....oh hell go ahead and give him the nomination not me?

Well, I do believe politicians sometimes....uh....oh...."stretch" the truth a little when running for office. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as you don't turn the truth into
something resembling Stretch Armstrong. I mean even that toy could only stretch so far.

He could have said that a lot of governors have made it to be President, and Mr Romney certainly has the same background as they do.....but I've got far more experience, and I've served in the military for years, come from a military family , and ........I've been a POW. I know what war's like, and I know what commanding men is like, and Romney doesn't have ANY of that in his quite impressive list of accomplishments .

You know, like he'll probably say to Obama at least once in the debates.....

Now, all you have to do is run that film clip, or bring up that fact, and you instantly show he's flip flopped on a FAR less experienced Governor - and that reduces Mr Straight Talk's express to a toy choo choo train.
 Eric2008
Msg: 1050
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 5:11:03 PM
Which is it....4, 7, or 11? When I said eight, I was referring to the 7 he's been been in the Senate, which I think is close to 8 now, is it not?

McCain learned his job as a Senator after 8 years as well...he's been on cruise control for the last 16. I mean really, if you elect a senator or governor and they do a horrid job their first term, they usually get voted out. That would mean they didn't learn....but Obama was reelected.

HUH????

Sheesh...I guess that one didn't come out like I intended.....Obama has learned his job sufficiently in the amount of time he's been a Senator, and I would guess that after the same amount of time McCain would have learned his job as well. If they hadn't learned their jobs, they'd be out on their behinds.

Obama was elected in Nov. 2004 and took his position in Jan. 2005 in Jan 2009 he will have been in the Senate 4 years he has not even been up for re-election in his current position.If he had been re-elected in 2010 when he had been up for re-election and this was 2012 you might have a leg to stand on.Senators have 6 year terms and that is a 4th grade social studies lesson for you.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]