Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Eric2008
Msg: 1122
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah PalinPage 44 of 104    (30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70)
edit: You sir, are INCREDIBLY feeble-minded!

This is an example according to one of our moderators of flame-baiting and one of the reasons we have lost the current events and politics forums.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 1123
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 9/18/2008 11:33:29 PM
Please, regardless of how strongly your feel, please don't do this.

One poster was just saying that he felt Palin didn't do well in the interview. That's all. Different people can see the same thing and come away with different conclusions.

I never saw it; I haven't seen it on YouTube. I have no idea how she did. But please don't name call because you disagree.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 1124
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2008 11:39:48 PM
Anyone who looks at my posting history would see that I originally thought Sarah would be a good addition to the Republican ticket. Many people had an open mind about her based on her biography and her achievements. That positive opinion of her is quickly evaporating. I watched the Gibson interview; the speech at the Republican convention; and the Hannity interview, and gave her every opportunity to demonstrate that she has a mastery of the economy, foreign policy, and other issues. She does not.

Sarah has performed poorly at every venue.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 1125
Posted: 9/18/2008 11:46:53 PM
On the first page (I think) of this, I also commented that I thought she was a good pick.

I think I said McCain had hit a home run.

But the more we learn about her, the less and less she seems like a wise choice. And the poll numbers are bearing that out - her approval ratings fell by 10% in a week.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 1126
Posted: 9/19/2008 8:08:22 AM
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ That doesn't work too well anymore. Most cars have daylights now, so the headlights are on 24 hours a day. I know it's a joke, but just saying . . .
 spitfire6844
Msg: 1127
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2008 8:14:51 AM

I want to give her a chance to prove herself. You have to remember only half of what "they" say about her is true, the other half are hoaxes.

She's had chances to prove herself through her own interviews with Gibson and Hannity. Sean Hannity is as sympathetic an interviewer as Sarah is ever going to have, and she still fumbled and bumbled her way through some unprofessional-sounding answers. She is not a star (at least on the national scene), and she's not going to make it.

Sarah Palin deserves respect for what she has done in Wasilla and for being able to get elected Governor of Alaska; but she has reached the limit of her political acumen.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 1128
Posted: 9/19/2008 8:28:39 AM

I want to give her a chance to prove herself.

The thing is, she not taking the chance to prove herself.

If she were up to the job, she'd be out talking to the press. If Larry King scares you, you're not really ready to be a heartbeat away from the Presidency. She doesn't even go back and chat with the press on her campaign jet - they're keeping her in a bubble.

One interview with a journalist and one infomercial with Sean Hannity ain't gonna cut it.
 zabet
Msg: 1129
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2008 9:50:30 AM
I think you may have missed halftime's point which is that Palin has not been taking every opportunity she could to do interviews. If she really wanted to prove herself she'd be talking way more to the press than she is. Maybe she had two off days, maybe if she'd done dozens of interviews in the last few weeks we would find out that she's very knowledgeable and competent. (Personally, I tend to doubt it, but hey, that's just my opinion.) Why isn't she doing more interviews?
 spitfire6844
Msg: 1130
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2008 10:03:12 AM

So, she only gets two short interviews and THEN shes burned at the stake..

No one wants to burn her at the stake. People are saying that she shouldn't be Vice President of the United States. The interviews weren't short. They were comprehensive. The one with Hannity lasted close to an hour, spread over two nights. Both interviewers bent over backwards to give Sarah the chance to define herself, her goals, and her positions. By most accounts, both conservative and liberal, she came off very poorly.

It's pointless to support someone who is obviously not up to the task. The McCain campaign shielding her does her no favors, and the road will get harder for Palin here on out, not easier. What the McCain campaign ought to do (and I'm dead serious about this), is to advise Sarah to pull out of the race, citing the impending investigations in Alaska and personal issues. Then, McCain can replace her with a running mate who will be an asset to that campaign. It's not too late.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 1131
Posted: 9/19/2008 10:56:03 AM

I wonder where I'll be typing this stuff, now that POF wants us to leave.

I think they're leaving this alone if you can get to it. it means nobody new is going to get in.

They also seem to be leaving it unmoderated, so it's actually kind of good that everyone is staying civil since we don't want to lose this access. Kind of a "If you don't stop your bickering I'm turning this car around."

That never worked for me or my dad, but it seems to be working here.
 Eric2008
Msg: 1132
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2008 1:10:38 PM
If she wanted to prove herself, innocent she would cooperate with those investigating "troopergate" instead of appointing new investigators of her choosing. She was a piss poor choice for VP.

You wouldn't cooperate with an investigator who has already implied that he is going to find against you Would you?I mean he has already said to reporters that she better get ready for her October surprise.And he has made no secret of the fact that he is a BIG Obama supporter.So if we dunk you in the water Mrs. Palin and you float you must be guilty but if you sink you're innocent.

Give me a break the investigation is simply an Obama commercial.The guy she fired tried to go behind her back and get the legislature to re-instate the budget he wanted over the one she approved.He needed to be fired because he was insubordinate.Now her brother-in-law admitted to using the taser on his 10 year-old step-son.Now he needs to be in jail.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 1133
Posted: 9/19/2008 1:47:15 PM
Actually, I'm also thinking that most of the really virulent posters were hit and runners - they had no info about themselves on their profiles; just wanted to come in and scream at someone.

So it's just people who disagree here now, but not who want to insult others needlessly. A little taunting is only to be expected.
 angelsands
Msg: 1134
Posted: 9/19/2008 1:53:44 PM
Just wondering why is most of You wasting Your timetalking about someone that is NOT going to be at the position for long. That is, if Mr. McCain wins. Because if you people that back Mr. McCain, thinks that she is going to be in the job for a WHOLE TERM.. uhh..I have my doubts.. IF... and I repeat, IF Mr. McCain wins, she would not be in the VP slot more than a year. She is being use and she doesn't even realize it..!! She is nothing but a dispossable "item" for the guys in Washington that are really worried that they will lose power.. No, I am not talking about Mr. Bush. He is another puppet...

faith2565
Msg: 1135
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2008 2:14:22 PM
My father called me to tell me last night on MSNBC they continued to report that she is calling it the Palin/McCain ticket.

Now who is the real rock star?
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 1136
Posted: 9/19/2008 4:46:25 PM
McCain supports stem cell research, not the Republican party.

And why do you think you can't start another thread?

Just click on "Politics" above and then on "start a new thread".
 spitfire6844
Msg: 1137
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2008 12:51:00 PM
^^No. But Todd Palin does want to turn 650,000 Alaskans into non-U.S. citizens, and I've never heard where Sarah ever voiced an objection to that.
 jelunc
Msg: 1138
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2008 9:11:33 AM
"Jeeze ShieldVulf....Honestly I dont get you sometimes.....She made a joke....even refered to it before hand as comic relief .."

Yup, she did.
Trouble is it was neither.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 1139
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2008 10:13:10 AM

I will be worried about Mr. Palin when he runs for vice president and his opinion matters.

Even though Todd was the one involved with the secession movement, Sarah could have been more resolute in her disavowal of Alaskan secession. She issued a very weak denial and then dropped the issue like a hot potato.
 Barredbard
Msg: 1140
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2008 6:53:22 PM
Yup. And I seem to recall that the media drove itself into a frenzy when Michelle Obama inartfully said that for the first time in her life, she was proud of her country. Course, she meant it as gratitude, but republicans saw it as a window of opportunity, and leapt in with both feet. Boy, did the media have a field day. Republicans were quick on the pounce. Radio shows notably in Tennessee had people calling in to castigate Obama and his wife. I remember one particular raspy, heavily accented voice saying "Oh, she is only proud now because her husband is running for president. Because they have a stake. Well, let me tell ya, I've always been proud of my country; from day one." I had no doubt that 'country' for that particular tobacco-chewing gentleman meant a verdant meadow, with two donkeys cropping grass and a hunk o' meat dangling over a merry fire. Nor was there any evidence that our country was particularly as 'proud' of him as he was of it. His meagre understanding of Washington politics would leave him in support of McCain merely because he looks like him, even if McCain is somewhat richer and somewhat inaccessible...

Notice that the media seems far more quiescent about madame Palin's spouse's possible involvement in the secession movement. Never mind that such a movement is of far more potency than Michelle Obama's spontaneous, off-the-cuff words. One was a poor choice of words, the other is an ideology. The 'liberal' media seems to enjoy far more access to liberal politicians than it does to our sanctimonious ones, rather like a fire that burns that which is in the closest proximity...
 gentalltheway
Msg: 1142
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2008 9:58:28 AM
Be careful for what you wish for...

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/09/23/palin/index.html
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/09/15/bess/index.html
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/09/19/palin/index.html
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/09/17/palin_mayor/index.html
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/09/12/palin/index.html

This woman is scary as hell!

No wonder why McCain keeps her as far as possible from reporters.

Well, this was fun while it lasted. Adios plentyoffish forums!
 spitfire6844
Msg: 1143
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2008 5:18:34 PM
It's true that both Palin and Obama have much less experience when contrasted with McCain or Biden. However, one of the differences between Palin and Obama is that Obama is willing to face the glaring spotlight of the media. He answers questions and does interviews. Palin, even though she is a V.P. candidate rather than a Presidential candidate, still needs to show that she can handle herself in public. Sarah still needs to be out there speaking in a variety of public situations. The Vice Presidency is a public office, not a mere staff position.

Palin is not being made accessible because everyone (including the McCain strategists) knows she wouldn't handle herself well. That isn't going to change in 43 days or by next January, either. She would perform just as poorly after the inauguration as she is performing now.
 designingwoman
Msg: 1144
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2008 5:30:47 PM
AMEN, spitfire! Palin actually has LESS overall experience than Obama does. Obama served eight years as a legislator, and has been in the Senate for two. Palin was mayor for six years, and has only been governor for two. Before that she didn't do much of anything while Obama led a community organization and grew it from one person to a staff of 17 or so. Obama has more executive experience as a community organizer than Palin does as governor Palin is a laughingstock and an embarrassment. No wonder the McCain/Palin ticket is not talking to the media.

Obama is the man for the job! He's not afraid of the media, as the above poster said.

McCain may technically have more experience than Obama, but his judgement is very poor and that to me is very scary indeed.

Obama may have less experience than McCain, but he has excellent judgement and chose wisely when he chose Joe Biden as his running mate.

Look at it like this: Would you rather have a pilot who flew for ten years but has really bad judgement, flies drunk and puts his passengers at risk, or would you rather have a man who has been flying for two years but has better judgement, and puts safety first? Experience isn't everything! Judgement, character, integrity and willingness to deal with the REAL issues of the day are far more important. McCain did crash five aircraft while he was in the military!

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008
 spitfire6844
Msg: 1145
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2008 6:58:41 PM

Yet, on Obama's first trip to meet heads of state, he did the same thing. But not a peep from the media. Can you say bias? You don't need to, it's blatantly apparent.

Actually, Obama took a number of nationally-known reporters with him on his trip, and he has always been available for extensive Q&A with reporters. He gives access, while McCain won't let Sarah do the same.

No one can be faulted for liking Sarah or for identifying with Sarah if that is their choice. That's fine. However, she has no experience on the national stage, and the small amount of executive experience she has in Alaska won't prepare her for the V.P. role. In addition to that, she is poorly educated and relatively ignorant when compared with any other Vice Presidential candidate in recent history. It's hard to defend her when even the McCain campaign knows full well that she's not ready.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 1146
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2008 9:19:11 PM
The V.P.-on-Training-Wheels Express rolls on for Sarah Palin:

www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/us/politics/21debate.html

From the article:

McCain advisers said they had been concerned that a loose format could leave Ms. Palin, a relatively inexperienced debater, at a disadvantage and largely on the defensive.

Special debate rules for a "special" candidate!
 komodo
Msg: 1147
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2008 5:17:46 AM
Politically, I'd say McCain chose her as running mate because he wanted to look progressive to the voters and prove his, so called, maverick status. It wasn't because she has bags of experience in any thing resembling foreign policy or anything else - you don't get much being the gov. of a state known for ?? Being president of a country doesn't lend itself to "on the job training". McCain's health problems are documented, so she could become president in heart beat.

She only got her passport a short time ago and she has only recently started meet 'n greets with forign leaders. Political Handlers trying to get her up to speed? Her first reaction (and possibly the most honest one) to the state trooper thing was not to co-operate with the investigation. She only got involved after her political handlers got her involved and because it turned out to be a political black eye.

She's probably a a smart woman. Some people like Carly Fiorina might disagree (the former head of HP said Pailin could not run Hewlett-Packard. That was her opinion. Fiorina has actually run HP herself, so she would know). Pailin's a wild card and posibly irrelevant.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]