Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > EZ BBQ ribs falling off the bone      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 joeytbare
Msg: 22
EZ BBQ ribs falling off the bonePage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Ahh, but you are not to eat the fat,,,, :)
 mik1950
Msg: 23
EZ BBQ ribs falling off the bone
Posted: 4/8/2009 6:05:11 PM
ribs are very versatile...i'm sure everyone that has cooked ribs has their own unique way...all good...
i parboil mine first...with S&P, garlic, celery,onions, bay leaves, a little chick soup base...whatever else tickles your fancy...
boil til tender then do them either on the q or in the oven
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 24
view profile
History
RIBS Cooked in Myer's Rum
Posted: 4/13/2009 4:10:18 PM
..I like Liquid Smoke ..but be careful with it. It is extremely concentrated, and I have been known to just dip a spoon in it and then stir whatever I'm flavoring until I get it "smoky" enough. Measuring it is easy enough if you're making a very large dish....but take your time, and mix it to taste.
 Rod489
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/29/2009 12:35:09 PM
This is the best way to cook your ribs! I have done this method around 8 times and even have friends making them the same way. quick and easy. thanks
 supersnuggle
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2009 1:27:04 PM
I have used the OP method many times, except without the Coke, and my ribs are always moist and falling off the bone, so I don't see why the Coke is necessary at all.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 27
Posted: 5/6/2009 5:25:21 AM
You dont NEED coke...cooking covered in the oven guaranties soft ribs...

some folk like using Coke cuz they believe the acid in the soda tenderises the meat and the caramel in the drink gives a good flavor.

I like getting my flavor from heat and hardwood...
 tollgatefarm
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/7/2009 1:08:08 PM
This is a good way to make tender ribs. I brown my ribs (either cut them apart or whole) on both sides on the grill. After I put them in the oven at 350 for 60 minutes . I usually cover them with sauce before going into the oven. Its hard to pick up a rib by the bone without the meat falling off.
 joeytbare
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/23/2009 9:42:44 PM
glad to hear some people like this easy method, never intended to try and replace the "good ole boy" method of cooking ribs, sometimes there isn't all the available time or equipment needed to make ribs the traditional way. Have never had a complaint from these yet, enjoy, and doctor them to your liking.
 joeytbare
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/14/2009 9:45:45 PM
I have a on going competition with my brothers with cooking ribs, if time is not a issue and you want to "work" to make something to eat then theirs is the way to go. I prefer to do things easier, maybe not better, but good none the less.

There will always be the "purists" out there, god bless em. ;)
 joeytbare
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/27/2009 10:13:58 PM
never ceases to amaze me how ribs can affect the population of the "southern" way of life...gotta love it!
 JcFlame
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2009 4:32:22 PM
Do about the same but use differant flavors of juices apple,orange etc. instead of coke at times. Also do it on a charcoal pit using wood chips. Like yours I wrap in foil and cook for about 2 hrs. After that I open the foil on top and add the wood chips for the remaining time to get a smoked flavor. Use a spray bottle with what ever I using 1/2 and 1/2 with water to spray over ribs to keep them moist.
 JcFlame
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2009 3:19:33 PM
What ever you use if ribs are not slow cooked on a pit with charcoal and wood chips for that down home smoke flavor your missing out
 SAguy_06
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/12/2009 4:01:48 PM
I doesnt get all that cold here, but if I want cooked ribs i can drive in any direction from the house and hit a BBQ shack within 5 miles and have 3 shops witin 1 mile of the house.

take a look and eat your hearts out...

Snoga's cafetria-http://www.5dollardining.com/gen/tx/sanantonio/Restaurants/snogas/snogas.html

Bill Miller's BBQ
http://www.billmillerbbq.com/2/lp_105/pg_generichtml.html

The Smoke house...Was the old Bob's Barbeque.
http://www.thesmokehousesa.com/menu.nxg
 mechele99
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/5/2009 11:06:18 AM
Sounds great, I will definitely try this. Thanks fore sharing. :)
 joeytbare
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/17/2009 9:56:35 PM
football season is here,,,,who has time to make ribs and watch the game? try this and start at half time, will be done by the end of the game!
 kayakgal49
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/19/2009 1:34:23 AM
Thankyou!!! One of the best rib Recipes yet! I drained the liquid, then rubbed with brown sugar, put a light glazing of bq sauce on and baked for 30 more minutes....OUTSTANDING!!!,,,,,,,,,,,, DUDE..........you ROCK!!!!!!
 joeytbare
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/19/2009 11:02:31 PM
a great side dish to this is cole slaw, if you like "sweet" dressing, try this,,,,Miracle Whip, 4 heaping tablespoons, thin with milk (not too thin) sweeten with plain sugar, mix into the slaw and serve. Make a great addition and not too heavy, made this meal this past Sunday for my future in-laws and all you heard was the smackin' of lips!!!
 joeytbare
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/22/2009 6:26:18 PM
just movin it to the front,,,,someone asked me about this.
 Liz463
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2010 7:00:21 AM
The easiest way to cook them (especially in the winter when I can't get to the grill) is to crockpot them.

I use a rack of spareribs, season with salt and pepper, roll up and put in crockpot so bones are standing on end. Drizzle with barbeque sauce, add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water, turn the pot on low and go off to work.

When I get home they are super done and then I take a cookie sheet and cover it with foil, turn on the broiler. I use heavy duty tongs to lift out the ribs (they are fall apart tender at this point) and place on the cookie sheet, smother with barbeque sauce and pop under the broiler until the sauce is browned and bubbly and the ribs have crisped up.

So easy, so yummy and clean up is easy too. Toss the foil and wash out the crockpot. No babysitting the ribs while cooking. Try it you'll be surprised!
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2010 8:51:24 AM
Holy Moly Batman!!... I would love these if I wasn't on a restrictive diet right now...but...I am going to make this tommorow for the kids!

sooooooooo after you do the oven and Coke thing.....and drain off the liquid....what type of BBQ sauce do you recommend?...please..that seems to be the one thing you didn't give us.

I have some Jack Daniels BBQ sauce I picked up and it tastes lovely on everything it touches....lol.

but what do you use....please share
 joeytbare
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/3/2010 9:36:24 PM
l like sweet sauce so the one l use is "Sweet Baby Ray's" and after slathering the ribs with sauce, sprinkle some dark brown sugar (lightly) and return to the oven for 15 minutes.

l did find a "Sweet Baby Ray's" with Chipotale flavor and a little heat to it,,,,mmmmm good stuff.

Hope this helps!
 FloridaLady46
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/11/2012 3:03:28 PM
Old post, but I'm going to try this!
 caddyman101
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 6:16:28 PM
I'm smokin baby backs right now. Dry rub in whatever you like and smoke 2 1/2 hrs. If you have to finish in the oven at 375 for 30 min to tender them up if you like.
 ShawnP1120
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2018 1:21:43 PM
As far as the texture of the ribs, and everyone has their own preferences, but imo, a rib should be firm but tender. It should stay on the bone when a bite is taken and be firm enough to hod the bite mark, while tender enough that it's an easy bite. When they're "falling off the bone" they're over-cooked as a rib and have moved into the realm of pulled/shredded beef or pork dishes, which are also delicious no doubt :)

Sodas work well because they combine several different features, you get the tenderizing from the acidity and the caramelization from the sugars.

Other things that work well and even better, esp. if you make you're own sauce:

Vinegar
Beer
Lemon-Lime-Orange Juices
Tomato Sauce/Juice

Basically acids - If you marinade with a straight acid only do so for a couple of hours otherwise the tenderizing reverses and they can actually toughen the meat. If you're going to marinate overnight you want to add an oil

Strongly brewed tea or coffee has both acids and tannins. They both give a flavor that can be accented well with a home-made sauce

Fruits that have Papain
Pineapple
Papaya
Figs
Kiwis

Papains are used in commercial meat tenderizers. You have to careful when using these things esp. with softer meats like fish or chicken as if you leave them to long the enzymes will turn the meat to mush.

As I said these things go really well if you also make your own sauces and slaw dressings to match and accompany different flavors.

One of the easiest change-ups is to make your ribs either spicy or sweet with an opposite slaw dressing. Then the next time you do them reverse it. Another favorite is to switch up, vinegar based and mustard based flavors sometimes.

Happy Cooking all!
 NewYorker58
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2018 9:18:52 AM
Shawn, I had ribs like that during a trip to Texas. I still think about them! Even though I'm not a big meat eater, I'd like to have a smoker.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > EZ BBQ ribs falling off the bone