Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Battle of the Bulge.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Walts
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Battle of the Bulge.Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)

Keep picking up traffic cones at work every day

THAT alone Smylie is a workout if you are doing it as much as I know you have to with the drivers we have. Keep safe up there.
 XHTML
Msg: 27
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:13:49 AM
Another activity I endeavour to do more of is dancing, something I enjoy doing. In an evening I will burn lots of calories as well as have fun. The calories burned will far exceed the beverage calories consumed.

I expect that will be a welcome side benefit of hosting POF events... get fit while meeting and mingling with others.

OR
 flybyknight
Msg: 28
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 9/7/2008 7:29:41 AM
Hey Onchy, I was just wondering, as I read this thread, if you or anyone else has hosted outdoor calorie burning events like a mixed softball game??.....chances of a non-rainy day can be slim though i suppose...

i do gym/cardio 2-3 times a week but still have some belly bulge
 XHTML
Msg: 29
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 9/7/2008 7:53:48 AM
flybynight ^^^^

The event I am hosting later this month will be my first, so no I've not hosted any kind of events before, calorie-burning or otherwise.

I suggest you have a look (and keep an eye on in future) at the "British Columbia Singles Events" link near the top of the forums page (link is coloured red)
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/partythread78.aspx

There are some events I think you'd be interested in. ~fiery fury~ tends to organize many like this, Grouse Grind, Hiking the Stawamus Chief. Other events include caves and Zipline.

Have fun being and getting fit!

OR
 flybyknight
Msg: 30
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 9/7/2008 7:55:18 AM
oops, just read about the grind and chief climbs, although they are more than what i want.
 IncognitoGuido
Msg: 31
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 9/7/2008 7:55:30 AM
I think I can speak to this one. I was quite overweight about 10 years ago. Why was I fat? Pretty simple really, I drank too much, I ate crappy food, I didn't exercise, and I honestly cared little about my appearance. Whaa whaaa.....

After finally LOOKING in the mirror, I realized I needed to change my life. I started slowly by changing what I ate. I avoided fast food, watched the types of food I was eating and started exercising (nothing insane, just shooting hoops, and walking, low impact stuff). When I felt I had lost enough to not be too self conscious I joined a gym. I started on the cardio equipment and even started playing squash. That was 10 years ago and almost 80lbs. I lost the weight in the first two years and have kept 90-95% of it off since. I haven't done anything all that different, I still go to the gym about 5-6 times a week and I play squash twice a week. I still have a roll and when I do allow myself an indulgent weekend I can gain upwards of 5lbs. The key is that I like my routine and it allows me to be who I want to be physically.

One thing to note is that I noticed some major benefits in my thinking as I lost weight...
 XHTML
Msg: 32
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 9/7/2008 8:15:13 AM
flybynight ^^^^

How about you considering hosting an event of the type you'd like to participate in?
Unlike me you live in an urban area with high population density so you shouldn't have much difficulty finding enough people to make it work.

flybynight, there are lots of hosts in the lower mainland and if you asked for help I'm confident you'll get lots. I have received so much support and encouragement from the few hosts I approached asking for tips.

I have also received support and encouragement from hosts I hadn't written to. I had no idea so many people were watching over my shoulder and yeah, it was a wonderful discovery to make. My thanks and big hugs to all you kind people.

Of course I'll be glad to help you too, however I can.

So back on topic, if you have an idea for a fun calorie-burning event try and make it happen. Not only will you improve your fitness you will likely make some wonderful new friends and who knows, might even meet the love of your life.

Best wishes.

OR
 Entzauberung
Msg: 33
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 11/5/2009 12:35:28 PM
Continued changes in diet and lifestyle and dedication to exercise have proven for me to very successful in this struggle.

While the war may never be over, I've nearly won this battle.
 NewGuy2BC
Msg: 34
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 11/5/2009 2:08:25 PM
Lately I have been walking everywhere and I find that is a very good excersize for losing weight. I have lost some 20 lbs in the last 4 months just from walking everywhere and paying attention to what I eat. I am also carrying a 25lb backpack along with me, I try to find the local dishes that are healthy and not go overboard on the local alcoholic bevies. Lately I have been eating alot of Sushi, I love the stuff. I do not know what would be local to BC, perhaps seafood and angus meat. Its not hard to get fit and stay that way, I have travelled many places and can find healthy alternatives everywhere.
 whitetigeress
Msg: 35
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 11/5/2009 2:33:38 PM
^^
careful with the sushi
because of the white rice.. I personally tend to gain weight *cries*
brown rice is better for weight loss but where do we find sushi with brown rice? tsk .. just isn't the same taste

perhaps skip the rice and have sashimi .. yum!
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 11/5/2009 5:59:51 PM
^^^ careful with the sashimi
farm fish/ shellfish has incredibly high amounts of heavy metal

may not give you a bulge, but your scale may pop
 MediaNaranja
Msg: 37
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 11/5/2009 6:09:14 PM

I believe my daily consumption of a whole grapefruit has contributed to that.
Grapefruit is recognized for its benefits in weight reduction.

I've made steps to improve my sleep.
Sleeping disorders, including sleep apnea, contribute to weight gain.

I agree with both of the statements above.
I've had excellent results with grapefruit, both whole and juice.

People in general underestimate the value of a regular good night sleep.
It is a time when the body cleanses and repairs tissues in such a way that it cannot be performed at any other time. It is also the part of the circadian rhythm when nutrients, particularly minerals are appropriated.
An overweight body is a body overwhelmed by toxins it has had not time to slough off.
Sleep deprivation also creates a negative chain reaction: a tired body is desperate for energy to function and keep warm (I always feel cold when I am tired, do you?) will crave more sugar/simple carbohydrates, which of course add to the weight issue.
And, last but not least, a tired person suffers from a mild form of insanity where it is easy to make a mountain out of a mole hill, we get stressed easily and end up eating more for emotional reasons.

Adding good fats to the diet (good vegan sources: olive oil, coconut oil, grape-seed oil, hemp oil, flax seed oil, avocados, acai berries, etc.) does wonders for all the glands in the body. Once they are properly nourished and running smoothly, only then can we lose weight. And, as a bonus all the cravings for bad food/fat vanish!

I am a great advocate of the fact that a body that is properly rested and nourished actually WANTS to exercise. MMM-mmm looove that feeling!

MN
 van_boob_man
Msg: 38
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 11/6/2009 12:14:52 AM

brown rice is better for weight loss but where do we find sushi with brown rice? tsk .. just isn't the same taste

There's actualy a place in Coquitlam called Akari that has brown rice sushi as an option. They charge 50 cents more per roll but I don't care, I love it with brown rice.
 Island Raven
Msg: 39
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 11/6/2009 2:29:19 AM
I know I am heavier than I should be and I am working on it ...I agree that health will be greatly affected by extra weight ...however I get very annoyed when people put way to much emphasis on it . I have 5 children ( yes you heard it right ) married for 12 years.

I had 4 children in 6 years beginning when I was 20 ...flash forward 10 yrs and I am trimmed down and bouncing around divorced and excited because my kids are getting older and OOPS ......I find myself expecting baby number 5 at the age of 38. he is a blessing but I gained too much weight and now almost 4 yrs later it's hanging on ......BUT I have sons now who are 6'3 strong and amazing at 18 and 20 yrs old ...a son who is 16 who can make me laugh like no one else and a daughter who is 14 who could run the country ....and of course a little sweetheart boy who is almost 4 ...and I will tell you this..I carried them ...breastfed them ...and raised them ......they are the jewels in my crown

No One better diss my body !!!!!!
 Kindredspirit07
Msg: 40
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 11/6/2009 4:40:48 AM
You look beautiful Island Raven!

Simple changes in how you eat can make a world of difference. For example, stevia in your coffee instead of sugar and milk instead of cream. I also use coconut oil every day and have lost 10 lbs in a month just introducing 3 tbsp a day. It helps to rev up your metabolism.

Think of your metabolism as a fire that you need to keep burning throughout the day. Small meals will keep the fire going. If you let the fire go out, then your metabolism will slow. Example, skipping breakfast or only eating one meal a day.
 Joansie1122
Msg: 41
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 11/6/2009 7:10:56 PM
I have just lost 41 lbs. I feel great. It has been a slow process and I have more to go and it will take a while but I plan on sticking to it.
 Gourmand123
Msg: 42
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 11/6/2009 7:35:22 PM
^Wow..Awesome!! Congratulations
 gpunjab
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Battle of the Bulge. ---- MY OWN PERSONAL SECRET TO SUCCESS
Posted: 3/8/2010 9:11:58 AM
I have never been successful with weight loss - until this year. I'm seeing one of the "top" nutritionists in New York (a recommendation from my girlfriend). I'm 37, was 165 lbs, 5'6", and have just lost 20 lbs in 2.5 months with some very basic advice:

3 meals a day...no snacking!
If you need bread - only 2 slices a day (not more than 70 cals each slice) is allowed.
No carbonated drinks...only water, iced tea, hot tea or coffee (even cream and splenda is allowed!).
Focus on lean protein (any kind) with lots of vegetables and salad stuff -- this should be your main focus.
If you can eat fish once a day, it will accelerate the weight loss.
90% of weight loss for women is diet, 10% is exercise. I've stayed out of the gym for now, focused on the food and for the first time have lost a steady amount of fat and weight!

One more secret --- I just discovered an awesome product for looking amazing on a date. Hopefully I wont need it when I lose all this weight...but its called TapeShaper. I think you can buy it at www.tapeshaper.com. I still have a "muffin top" belly, but I just put a little strip over my bulge and I totally become flat. I love it. Just thought I'd share. - P
 gitty--UP
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 3/8/2010 9:33:55 AM
Its not hard to beat the buldge.

Eat Healthy
Work Out
Stay away from the unhealthy, fatty foods.
Walk instead of drive
Use the stairs instead of elevator

People are lazy, they would rather get that Big Mac for $1.49 from drive thru, then pick up an apple from CO-OP or choose a health store.
 beyondsexy
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 3/10/2010 1:00:39 AM
simple: commute by bicycle.
 ritawayward
Msg: 46
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 3/10/2010 8:30:33 AM

3 meals a day...no snacking!

For me it has always been 5 snacks a day no big meals!
Last one is at around 4 pm.
Lots o water.

When I want to play catch up and loose a bit of extra winter weight.
I cut down ( or out when I can) bread, juice, anything fried or with sugar.
No pop for years!

Big diff.
 R.V.LIFESTYLE
Msg: 47
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 3/10/2010 8:49:54 AM
Well you certainly cannot get wayward with this excellent advice Rita.
Personally I would add a favourite home cooked or restraunt meal once a month so you. feel like you are spoiling yourself once in a while.
There are many methods to lose or maintain an ideal weight but they are only effective if you stick to them,usually for the rest of your life. That is the difficult part.

If you can pre package your 5 small meals for each day I think it would make starting this program easier. I`m one to talk,both my dog and I have root beer bellies. hahaha.
 MsFreedomFinderrr
Msg: 48
Battle of the Bulge.
Posted: 3/10/2010 10:31:15 AM
I heard in the news that it is figured that 60-90 minutes a day is what we all need. I am not sure how they work out the numbers but I think it is coming from obese studies as well as cardiovascular disease studies. I suppose 30 minutes just isn't enough.

For me exercise:
Walking, Biking everyday to work, to appointments, errands, anything. My car is parked due to maintenance issues. My four year old can walk up to 5 km with me everyday (accumulative).
We swim three times a week, and I do many laps. There are so many I can't list. I am still a BBW but I don't mind, I am very confident and strong. I am actually staying the same weight, if I wanted to really mow down I would hire a trainer. I was a college volleyball player before so I have potential :)

Diets:

I have no discipline to follow a meal plan. I talk to my gluten-free friend and she gives me tips all the time.
I have taken table salt out of my diet since Oct. '09 because I couldn't eat anything without putting salt on it. Not sure if it has made any difference but my food tastes a lot better with natural flavours.
I used to be a junk food junkie. My daughter was losing her appetite for real food and I realized she was idling my food choices. This is definitely the hardest temptation to give up but it is getting easier the more I practice.
Best to eat at home and your lunches, not only do you save money but you are helping the environment too.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Battle of the Bulge.