Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 musicianfriend
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah? Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
AS WRITTEN BY SIM:
Do you also have that respect for Obama for being the first African-American nominee for president by a major party?
C'mon... let us hear how much Obama has earned your respect by being the 'first' at what he's doing...

My answer is:

Id have more respect for Obama if he wasnt associated with a racist church...if he didnt talk so much about "globalism" and more about "Americanism"...if he would pledge allegience to the flag of the country he wants to run....if he didnt replace the American flag with his own egotistical symbol..

Just to name a few...

Dont want any part of the 'change' he has promised us...It will ruin this country..

NOBAMA
 Simlasa
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 10:34:45 PM

do I respect how the democrats have acted since the primary-
not that you asked, but the answer is NO!

I'd agree with you... except that from where I stand the majority of 'democrats' aren't freaking out about it and spreading rumours. It's just a vocal minority who are willing to get online and spread any bit of scandal/rumour they can dig out of the trash.
Except for one woman I know none of my other lefty friends have been drawn in by this Rush Limbaugh level of cretinous muckraking.
Even that one friend has stopped with the rumourmongering now.

I think there are people on both sides that seem more comfortable dealing with the filth... flinging the poo. When faced with opposition they go straight for name calling and inflation of salacious rumour.
Neither side has the corner on rude behavior.

if he didnt talk so much about "globalism" and more about "Americanism"

Some of us think that many of our problems with the rest of the world stem from too much "Americanism" and not enough "Globalism"
We aren't the only humans on this planet and we need to stop acting like we are.
Remember that space on your report card for 'plays well with others'?

if he would pledge allegience to the flag of the country he wants to run

Do you have proof of some sort that Obama has never said, or refuses to say, the 'Pledge of Allegiance'?

if he didn't replace the American flag with his own egotistical symbol

Are you talking about that bogus e'mail campaign about the Obama campaign plane?
The flag you refer to was the logo... that happened to resemble the U.S. flag... of the company who owned the plane the Obama campaign was using during the primary.
When they tied up the nomination and bought the plane... they removed that company's logo.
Then they put the Obama campaign logo on it... that logo having stylized elements of the U.S. flag.
The McCain campaign's plane doesn't have a big U.S. flag on it either (unless he's added one since this story initially was being spread).
Both planes have small U.S. flag emblems on them that are common to most all U.S. passenger planes.
 musicianfriend
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 11:35:30 PM
sim......concerning Americanism and Globalism....I believe with the test of time...we have already proven that we do a wonderful job just dealing with our own issues...keeping AMERICA FIRST. ..making sure THIS country is in good shape...Alot of the world depends on us being strong and finacially stable...they depend on the money and food we give them...freely...they depend on us when there are disasters such as sunamis ...earthquakes...

KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid) HAS ALWAYS BEEN A VERY GOOD MOTTO TO LIVE BY... How egotistical to think that mere man can rule the world...Wow...sounds like a sci fi movie...utterly foolish. There will be more human suffering that has ever been known to man if you put that much power in the hands of so few..So...what do you think? Just curious.

I do not believe we should EXPERIMENT with our country to appease people with big huge egos and big ideas...It will be the death of this country as we know it..Its like playing with fire in the hay barn.

I dont live in your house or drive your car....so I believe its o.k. to have my own house...car...country...Everyone else has a country too so I see no need to take that ridiculous road to destruction.. Can you PROVE it will work? Globalism?

I believe in nationalism..There are some things you just dont share...but sharing is good when you have the means to do so...and American has definately done her share of sharing with the world...Dont you think so too?

Obama and the pledge...You ask do I have proof he wont say the pledge? Well I ask you sir...do you have proof he does say the pledge? Cause I hear different.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/8/2008 12:05:03 AM
"making sure THIS country is in good shape..."

McCain plans to pre-emptively attack another country - Iran - and overthrow their government ... as Bush did Iraq and Afghanistan. That is not focusing on America. That is focusing on globalism ... imposing a representative republic (not democracy) on other countries.

The only way to really put America First (which is no longer the McCain campaign slogan) is to put Americans back to work instead of the current Republican Corporate Machine which has been sending jobs outside of america in the globalistic focus.

Obama is the candidate who is putting America First. McCain just promises to put more and more precious American lives on the altar of the Republican war machine.

Love America? Then stop killing our people in wars waged based upon lies and fear mongering. Stop making China and India rich by sending our jobs to them.

McCain is not America First ... he is all global war mongering and greed.
 Simlasa
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/8/2008 12:53:45 AM
Musicianfriend,
Since this is a thread about Oprah I don't think we should hijack it into a debate about 'Americanism and Globalism'... if you want to start a thread on that subject I'd participate in the discussion there.

As for Obama not saying the pledge... you made the initial accusation... so it would seem your responsibility to back up your claim.
What evidence do you have?
(I myself can't say when it was I last saw anyone say the pledge of allegiance... and even as a kid it seemed kind of odd... "why am I pledging allegiance to a flag?")
 london150
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/8/2008 6:37:28 AM
You are kidding right?
 london150
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/8/2008 6:49:41 AM
Did we keep America first when it came to Katrina? Those were Americans. The current president is not even thinking about the welfare of this country. How do you know BUsh says the pledge. Who says most AMericans say the pledge. I suppose you do every single day.
 jelunc
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/10/2008 8:14:27 PM
That's just the thing, though, KMK.
Folks don't seem to figure. they don't seem to question. They just jump in based on the last thing that someone wrote and formulate some statement. I don't think they do know what vetting is. I am not sure they know why it should be done.
I cannot think of a president in the past 30 years who has NOT had a free pass.
 faith2565
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/10/2008 8:21:03 PM
Who really cares?
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 57
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/10/2008 8:28:26 PM
LOL, wonders will never cease, we actually agree.

Oprah who? If it wasn't for the supermarket checkout line where this narcissist plasters her face on every cover of her magazine, I wouldn't know who she was.

You'd have to tie me down and gag me to get me to watch that show. So I guess I've always boycotted Oprah. Never seen her show; never plan to.
 faith2565
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/10/2008 8:39:42 PM
Well fly we do agree. I lost interest in her a long time ago. I still do not understand why she will not allow anyone else on the cover of her magazine.
 no1shero
Msg: 59
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/10/2008 8:56:53 PM
I have a simple question?

Who cares? Really? The housewives? Oh God! This is just as bad as the Disney Boycott by the Southern Baptists.

This election is getting ridiculous. I thought I left high school, why the hell do I feel like I am still in it?
 faith2565
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/10/2008 9:15:50 PM
I am with you. We went from Sarah's speech to a forum on CNN about 'pigs wearing lipstick'. WHO CARES! What are the issues?
 no1shero
Msg: 61
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/10/2008 9:18:42 PM
Can you imagine what the debates are going to be like?

"Well, my opponent wears heels."

"Yeah, well my opponent tried on lipstick"

"My opponent doesn't use toilet paper when he wipes."

"Well my opponent wears tightie whities."

So freaking childish. GIVE US WHAT WE WANT! Decent candidates!
 faith2565
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/10/2008 9:27:04 PM
Yeah, it is getting old. I love Obama, but if he reacts one more time to something stupid that McCain says I will scream. Just talk about the issues.

thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 63
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/10/2008 10:07:19 PM
Lookinatit,

That is exactly the reason I had in mind when I said there were better reasons not to watch oprah. A job. Exactly.

And faith, fly,

I didn't realize she the only one who gets to be on her own cover! I'm boycotting her magazine cover...and supermarkets too, for that matter.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/10/2008 10:13:08 PM
I'm getting to the point where I’m totally turned off from politics as of now. I mean this suppose to be about two politicians talking about the issues or is this The Real World on MTV?

It's getting that bad.
 dragonpat
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/10/2008 10:25:33 PM
Oprah doesnt want Palin, who cares. And that is only a rumor, i dont think either side really entertained the idea of her being on the show... Why would Palin want to go on that show anyway?
Instead of worrieing about Oprah lets see if we can get either of these groups of school children to really start laying out the issues, not the smear. Just the Facts, no hype no lies, tell us what you are going to try and do, what it will accomplish, give us the facts and figures and what real hope you have of getting any of it done.
End the school yard and start the election.
 dragonpat
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/10/2008 10:30:43 PM
The Republican's want free market capitalism... until they don't get their way.

Boycotts are part of the free market... just thought i would let you know that. It is how a group of people can influence the market to change. The difference is if all the republican's want to do is boycott then at least they are not being as bad as some democrats who want to shut down some republican radio shows. One is the market, the other is having the government shut down free speach, stupid though that speach may be to some people.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 67
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/11/2008 8:09:07 AM
I'm getting to the point where I’m totally turned off from politics as of now. I mean this suppose to be about two politicians talking about the issues or is this The Real World on MTV?

This is the dead zone where the candidates try and stay in the news by giving interviews. There's not a whole lot to talk about.

The first debate will be two weeks from tomorow. After that there will be something to discuss, since there will be a debate every couple of weeks or so until the election.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 68
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/11/2008 9:13:48 AM
Boycott Oprah?

Go ahead, and stop whining. It sure sounds a lot like envy.

I do not believe we should EXPERIMENT with our country to appease people with big huge egos and big ideas

Yeah, look at the mess we are in now with the experiments of the people with small little egos and small ideas!
 Imported_labor
Msg: 70
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/11/2008 9:45:13 AM
Boycotts are part of the free market... just thought i would let you know that. It is how a group of people can influence the market to change

Nothing wrong with a boycott to influence the market to change, as long as it doesn't degenerate and goes into criminal activity like the usual republican tactics of influencing markets to change, like overthrowing legitimate governments or invading other countries.

So, you can boycott Oprah if that makes you feel like a better person, but don't go into planning to burn her studio if the boycott makes her even more popular.
 dragonpat
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/11/2008 6:19:55 PM
Tranquilo, who said anything about bombing anything? And for the record are you saying democrats have never invaded other countries?
Personally i dont care if anyone wants to watch Oprah. I think it is a waste of space and mental power to do so, but that is my choice and if you disagree go ahead and watch her.
I wont support the boycott on this either... stupid reason for this one... that is how the market works.. if a person doesnt agree with the boycott then they dont have to follow it unless there is an element of force involved.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/11/2008 6:43:44 PM
Bill Gates has plenty of African charities...
Why don't the Oprah haters say he's shafting the good 'ol USA?
What they do with their money is their business. They are private individuals.
Let's face it: if Oprah endorsed McCain, all the anti-Oprah people would not be doing this.
Just a fact.
 faith2565
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/15/2008 9:03:02 PM
I do not watch the show, but we will see what happens.

------------------------------------------
GOP WOMEN’S GROUP BOYCOTTS ‘OPRAH’ FOR REFUSING TO BOOK PALIN
by FOXNews.com
Wednesday, September 10, 2008

facebook stumble upon digg email buzz up!

The Florida Federation of Republican Women has launched a boycott against Oprah Winfrey’s TV show and magazine because the talk queen has said she will not have Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin on her show until after the election.

Democrat Barack Obama — whom Winfrey is supporting for president — was on “Oprah” twice before he announced his run for president, in January 2005 and in October 2006. Winfrey has said she will have neither party’s candidates on her show while they are running for their respective offices.

But the 58-year-old federation, which has 4,500 members, says Winfrey should have Palin on her show now, given how important the Alaska governor’s run is for women.

“She is an icon, and set her herself up to be such a women’s rights and women’s issues person. To have the first vice president of our lifetime on the Republican ticket being a woman and to sit it out regardless of what her personal political beliefs were was disingenuous, we felt,” the group’s First Vice President Cindy Graves told “FOX & Friends” on Wednesday morning.

Graves, 50, says she used to watch “Oprah” and occasionally bought her magazine. She told FOXNews.com that the group has been joined by women all over the country since launching the boycott last Saturday.

“People from Southern California, Tennessee, Texas, Colorado, Rhode Island, just about every state in the union. We’ve also had a tremendous response from Democrats and Independents who are supporting McCain, and Hillary supporters,” she said.

Asked whether the boycott is affecting Oprah’s TV ratings and magazine subscriptions, Graves said Winfrey is “keeping that quiet.”
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >