Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 75
ABC's Charles Gibson lands First interview with Sarah PalinPage 2 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
This interview has been painful so far...but if you must look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuIag1agN2A
 geeleebee
Msg: 80
ABC's Charles Gibson lands First interview with Sarah Palin
Posted: 9/11/2008 8:42:01 PM
She didn't have to go into a tirade, but she sure should have gone into the interview better prepared. Deer in headlights...yikes.
Can't blame her, really--she simply isn't prepared to be where she is, right now.
McCain & Co. should have known better.
This isn't going to be good for the Mc/Palin ticket.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 8:59:50 PM
She seemed nervous and rightfully so. I mean, she went from being the gov of Alaska that has a total population of less then most moderately sized U.S. cities to being thrust in to the national spotlight.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 9:38:51 PM
I do not envy her. It's risky but she needs to accept her "current" limitation and that means fess up that she doesn't have international experience.

Obama and Palin are two peas in a pod on that. They both have avoided some tough international foreign conflict questions that they wouldn't engage in with a clear cut answer in. Obama did that in the 3rd interview with O'reilly and Palin did it with Gibson, which truly shows both of their inexperience on these issues. At least Biden and McCain will give you a clear cut answer and a strategy on these issues, but that comes with experience.

I never said anything about who predicted what.

Well that's what it sounded like at first, thanks for clearing that up.

Experience is only as good as your track record. If you have a history of an up and down record the experience factor goes right out the door and that's would killed John Kerry in the 2004 election.

I disagree, because even though McCain has a strong foreign policy his economic policy for years has always been weak, and this is one of the main reasons why Obama is still in the game. If McCain was less Bush on the ecomonic policy and more Reagan, then it would have prob been an easy win for McCain come election time, but MCain is no Reagan.

SteelCity1981
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 10:36:47 PM
Here I thought Obama has been on the froeign relations committe in the United States Senate for the past few years. I didn't realize this committe was so ignorant when it comes to foreign relations. Who currently chairs the United States Sentate's Foreign Relations Committe? Joe Biden? Well if the Senate's Foreign Relations Committe can't see Russia from their viewpoint, then they must not know anything about what's going on in the world. Palin is definitely the best foreign relations guru for us.

So when you are in a senate for just a few years and the majority of your votes are present (130 times), that classifies you as being experienced? I mean is being a senator for just a few years and being a gov for 2 years in a state that's population is lower then most moderate U.S. cities, passes for experience now of days????????

You can't compare Biden's and McCain’s' record to foreign policies vs. Obama's. For one Biden and McCain have been In the senate a hell of a lot long then Obama and for two, most of Biden's and McCains votes were actually yes or no votes and not just present. Big diff. You are comparing Apples to Oranges.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 88
Posted: 9/11/2008 10:49:59 PM
Ummm, did you see her interview yet? You'll be horrified!
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 10:55:51 PM
Yeah I did see her interview and neither Obama or Palin are truly ready to be presidant or VP for that matter and this is why i'm prob going to vote indy again this election and may cast my vote for Ron Paul if he gets in the race.
 Simlasa
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 11:00:27 PM
I think she came across as having been coached on certain questions/answers...
The bit about Israel, where she just keeps repeating herself... and the bit about quoting 'Lincoln' felt particularly canned... pre-digested... regurgitated.
She tried a bit of dodge on the 'Bush Doctrine' question... but it seemed obvious she didn't know what he was asking her about.
It seems to me that she had been put on the short leash... like this wasn't even really her... and that she would have come across better if she hadn't been trying to hard to stick to the shtick that had been drilled into her head.

I'm sure she isn't stupid... but at some points she came off as kind of naive... or underinformed. Hopefully she will get a chance to display her talents in a more candid setting.

On the other hand, I think McCain came off very strong in the discussions on national service tonight... and Obama did too... of course.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 91
Posted: 9/11/2008 11:30:07 PM
I agree. I don't think she's stupid at all, but I clicked on an old youtube interview of her right after the gibson interview, and the difference in her style was remarkable. She was definately coached to slip in that speech about energy whenever she could (it didn't really address the question, to me) and it seems like she learned several "safe" statements, like "israel must be allowed to defend it's borders" "bush is trying to keep us safe from muslim extremists" but, other than these talking points, she hadn't thought very deeply on these issues or had any exposure, whatsoever. That has nothing to do with being stupid, but it has everything to do with having only extremely regional experience, in a not terribly internationally relevant city or state (even though its "close" to russia) and on top of that, her education does not help her compensate for a lack of exposure to these issues. The fact is, alaska, though kind of exotic and fascinating from a wilderness point of view is highly isolated, not only from international concerns, but from most of the rest of americas domestic issues. They just have their own very specific challenges, and I'm sure palin feels comfortable and informed talking about any of those issues.

She is obviously in over her head, and I am amazed that her conscience hasn't yet overcome her ambition and caused her to admit this to herself, and then maybe mention it to mccain, too.
 Simlasa
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 11:39:38 PM

I clicked on an old youtube interview of her right after the gibson interview, and the difference in her style was remarkable.

Yes, if you go on YouTube and watch her old interview with Charlie Rose it's like a totally different person... there she's talking about Alaska... something she knows about and has her own REAL opinions about... rather than a bunch of coached stances and talking points.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 11:45:12 PM
"So when you are in a senate for just a few years and the majority of your votes are present (130 times),"

The vote of "present" refers to Illinois not Federal. In Illinois it is a strategic tool used by very savvy Congress people. It is the same kind of strategic tool as a presidential "pocket veto." Barack will have the experience of using a tool similar to a pocket veto when he is president. Alaska doesn't have a pocket veto for the Governor, so she would not have that needed experience. McCain doesn't directly have it, but he has at least had to work with someone who does. Obama is the only one who has had it and worked with those who have it.

Check your facts, please.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 96
Posted: 9/11/2008 11:59:36 PM
Slowride,

Well said. No candidate will ever have perfect experience for everything, but trying to compare palin and obama is laughable. It a campaign technique on the part of mccain, to try and minimize the acheivements obama DOES have. And with biden as a close advisor, I feel much more comfortable about his weeknesses.

Steel,

Sorry, but ron paul is dropping out today or tomorrow. He's throwing his support to four indy candidates, all of whom stand for the fiscal conservative principles the repubs USED to stand for, with their own cultural issues thrown in.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2008 12:02:43 AM
Slowride what is ridiculous is the fact that you think you can't compare Obama to Palin on anything. You can easily compare both of them on foreign policy inexperience. Going to Harvard law, working for a civil rights law firm, being a city counsel men and then spending a few years in the senate voting 130 times present has nothing to do with foreign policy experience. There were much more qualified candidates like Clinton and Biden that have great foreign policy experience under their belt. Palin and Obama are both greatly inexperience on foreign policy, because neither of them has worked one single term dealing with foreign policy relations and that's why I stated that neither of them is ready to be prez or VP.

thatswhatshesaid, i was hoping that wasn't true when i first heard it, but it looks to be that way now. Damn shame, Paul wouldn't have came close to winning the election but he gave guys like me some hope.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2008 12:03:02 AM
"i do know one thing. a vote for B.O. is a vote for higher taxes,"

Higher for whom? Not for me! Not for any one of my sisters or neices or nephews or children or cousins. Not even those in the family who have middle management positions. Go check the facts. Obama's plan reduces taxes for working class Americans. While McCain has promised to make the tax cuts for the wealthy that are about to exprie permanent, Obama would allow them to expire. Those are taxes on the wealthy .... over $250,000 taxable income.

McCain plans on funding his pre-emptive attacks with more debt. More debt reduces the buying power of the money earned. So, he might not tax you, but your money will be worth so much less that you still won't be able to buy gas or groceries ... unless you are amongst the wealthy whose tax cut he is making permanent.

I am sooooooooo tired of Republican misinformation on this point. The facts are out there. The proof has been calculated and shown. Both tax plans have been simulated for several different family structures even by Republican friendly sources ... except for the wealthy, Obama's plan is better for Americans.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2008 12:11:32 AM
"And you have absolute faith in Obama's "community organizing" abilities and law professor stints instead,"

I must say it was really fun watching McCain eat his own words (during the 9/11 celebrations today ) for his demeaning remarks about Obama's Community Organizer experience . Suddenly he realized how many people he had insulted.

Alas, the above quote continues to misrepresent Obama's background and disparage it by only listing some of it and doing so in a disparaging tone. This is done even though the much more extensive experience has been provided. Denial of reality doesn't make the reality of Obama's experience any less real. It just attempts to decieve those who haven't read all the facts and posts with the full extent of his experience listed.

In reality, Obama's experience is much more extensive and his proven skill set for diplomacy much greater than McCain or Palin.
 london150
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2008 2:10:54 AM
Sarah Palin demonstrated that she is made of the stuff to be VP!

She's going to do great for the rest of the campaign!

First her intro with McCain
The speech during the RNC
Being scrutinized under a microscope
Being torn to shreds by the Liberal media and Obama lapdogs
The first installment of this interview

Sarah Palin is showing day by day, hour by hour that she is ready to lead if she had to right now

IF ANYONE IS A LAPDOG IT IS YOU TRYING TO CONVINCE US THAT THIS WOMAN IS THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR VP. YOUR COMMENTS MAKE ME
 angelsands
Msg: 103
Posted: 9/12/2008 2:55:36 AM
Before the interview, I ACTUALLY GAVE HER THE BENEFFIT OF THE DOUBT!!!! YES>>!!! ME!!!.... UNVELIEVER.. JADED....CYNICAL ME!!... I though, "well... maybe. Yeah, maybe she can do the job....." ..... But after the interview, all I can think is.. WITH PERSONS LIKE HER IN THE WHITE HOUSE, WHO THE HELL NEEDS OSAMA BIN LADEN!!!!!!
 MacKevinized
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2008 4:15:25 AM
She learned what the bush doctrine was AFTER Gibson explained it to her and AFTER she answered twice with rhetorical BS.
Yea she's ready!

She ready for foreign policy because she's worked on alaska energy policy
Yea she's ready!

She's ready to lie better than bush ever could.

Bush had his dad to help him out with a map of the world and Palin's dad has a huge pile of bones in his front yard.
Palin might be able to use those big bones and a Ouija board to get the big picture.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2008 4:25:43 AM
She learned what the bush doctrine was AFTER Gibson explained it to her and AFTER she answered twice with rhetorical BS.

Well do you blame her for not really understanding what it was?

And furthermore who the hell does????????

She was better off to not understand what it means, because it made her look better. Trust me, trying to understand that garbage will do you no good.
 MacKevinized
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2008 4:44:01 AM
Well do you blame her for not really understanding what it was?

Being that it is the most significant change in US military policy EVER, I accused (not blame) her of being an ignorant egomaniac.

And furthermore who the hell wants to????????

If you knew what it was, you wouldn't ask this question.

The bush doctrine was copied from the Osama Bin Laden doctrine.

She was better not to understand what it means, because it made her look better. Trust me, understanding that garbage will do you no good.

Sure, and the republican kool-aid is in the punch bowl for ya too.
When asked what's in it, just tell everybody it's purple and have faith in the lord.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2008 5:13:15 AM
If you knew what it was, you wouldn't ask this question.

The bush doctrine was copied from the Osama Bin Laden doctrine.

You do realize that I was being sarcastic don't you? I know what it is, but I guess that one just zoomed over your head.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2008 5:37:57 AM
Palin did not only not understand it, she did not know what it was.
The people who do understand what it means get it that the Bush administration believes that if the POTUS believes that Poland has mysteriously recruited a navy of 63,000 battleships and may attack US we can preemptively go after them.

You do remember that Bush took us to war, caused (very conservative here) tens of thousands of deaths, took us into massive debt to The People's Republic of China's banks,deepened the risk in the middle east... ?all on the supposition of the existence of WMD and Hussein's plan to use them; proving once again that we should not assume.

Did you miss the sarcasm too? I guess so. Anyways there it goes bye. bye.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2008 6:03:36 AM
Who said anything about being ****y?

The real question is why should i care?

Did you catch the sarcasim in that this time or should i do one of these numbers... did that help out any?
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 117
Posted: 9/12/2008 6:15:44 AM
Jenny anne,

She didn't know what the heck she was talking about, how does that make gibson rude?

You realize she's clearly been tutored to take a "hard-line" with russia and basically, get us into another war. How can you worry whether gibson was rude, when all the completely tutored drone of the bush administration wants to do is attack more countries and get us deeper in debt?
 gentalltheway
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2008 7:59:38 AM

Questions about Palin's knowledge of foreign policy dominated the interview with ABC's Charles Gibson. Palin repeated her earlier assertions that she's ready to be president if called upon, yet she sidestepped questions on whether she had the national security credentials needed to be commander in chief.
Republican presidential candidate John McCain has defended his running mate's qualifications, citing her command of the Alaska National Guard and Alaska's proximity to Russia.

It’s difficult not to laugh when you read the above quote. McCain defends her qualifications citing that Alaska is near Russia??? And to think people actually buy that like a hot bake apple pie.

Pressed about what insights into recent Russian actions she gained by living in Alaska, Palin told Gibson, "They're our next-door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

Please stop!

Pressed repeatedly on whether the United States could attack terrorist hideouts in Pakistan without the country's permission, she said: "If there is legitimate and enough intelligence that tells us that a strike is imminent against American people, we have every right to defend our country. In fact, the president has the obligation, the duty to defend."

So, according to Palin, it’s ok to plan attacks in any countries if the US believes that terrorists are in them. How about in England? Canada? Better yet...Russia or China??? What a nutcase!

Asked three times what her position would be if Israel felt threatened enough to attack Iranian nuclear facilities, Palin repeatedly said the United States shouldn't "second guess" Israel's steps to secure itself.

Riiiiiiiiiiight! Although I certainly do not approve, it’s well known that the US backed atrocities committed by Israel and vetoed most UN resolutions critical to them. Well trained Palin. Can she sit and beg as well?

Called for Georgia and the Ukraine to be included in NATO, a treaty that requires the U.S. to defend them militarily. She also said Russia's attack into Georgia last month was "unprovoked." Asked to clarify that she'd support going to war over Georgia, she said: "Perhaps so."

“Unprovoked”??? Don’t they have cable in Alaska???

Going to war with Russia over Georgia? “Perhaps so” ??? WOW! Yeahhh she’s the one alright!
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >