Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SueCat51
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Can Liberals be Conservative?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
What does one mean by liberal or conservative? Is it financial? Is it moral? Is it more government or less government? I am fiscally conservative, but at the same token, I think government needs to stay out of people's bedrooms and sex lives. Also, government needs to stay out of how people observe their own religion. It's unfortunate that in today's world, we have a small minority (religious right wingers)that are trying to run the whole country and force their views on others. A society can have a difference of viewpoint and co-mingle in a peaceful and civilized manner. I think at the end of the day, each and every one of us wants to have a good job, good health care, good educational system, peace in the world, and be free of relying on foreign countries for energy resources. We can't achieve this when we are constantly fighting each other, hence that is why things don't get done and politics remains status quo.
 h0ldfast
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Can Liberals be Conservative?
Posted: 9/8/2008 7:34:31 PM
From an ideological standpoint, you can believe anything you want. Politics, however, is a collective effort. You have to pick sides, stand with your team and toe the party line. In the United States, politically, you have the choice of Democrat or Republican. Whichever way you go, you buy the whole enchilada. In for a penny, in for a pound.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2008 7:44:16 PM
I'm a registered independent with moderate conservative beliefs, myself. I really don't take side to any party per-say, but more or less on what they have done and or what they are going to do which will determine who I’m going to vote for in each election.
 designingwoman
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2008 9:45:11 PM
I am very liberal on most issues, and moderate on a few. Clinton's fiscal approach may be what one would call true fiscal conservatism--such as balancing the budget and paying down the national debt. I am disgusted by Bush's reversal of what Clinton had done for us financially. It isn't unusual to find social liberals who could be called fiscally conservative.

I wouldn't go to the extremes of repealing the inheritance tax (what alot of lying kooks call the "death tax" to scare people), nor would I ever support tax breaks for the rich. I do believe that the rich should pay their fair share. But I did like how Al Gore worked on reducing government waste during his time as VP. (I voted for Clinton out of support for Al Gore--I originally was a Perot supporter).

I am not sure I would go so far as to call myself a fiscal conservative because it's hard to tell what is genuinely conservative vs. the neocon BS that has been inflicted on our country the last 8 years. I am so disgusted with what the GOP has become that I oftentimes like to say that I don't have a conservative bone in my body!!

I would say that I am socially very liberal, and guess that I am fiscally moderate. I am moderate on some of the more contentious issues such as abortion and guns. I support the basic right to own a gun, but at the same time see the need for some regulations to support safe gun usage.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/10/2008 11:33:55 AM

One of the things I find frustrating about Partisan Politics is the constant reference to "THE RELIGIOUS RIGHT." There are Religious People on both sides of the Political Spectrum and even in the middle. You can't just lump a whole People Group and put them nice and neatly into one side of an already shakey linear political line. I, for example, am a Christian who is supporting Obama. Therefore, I'm not part of "The Religious Right." Anyone else find this term inappropriate, unwarranted, and divisive?

Actually, I think the term is used to differentiate this group from Christians like you. You know, Christians that have actually read some of Jesus' teachings.
 RSwindol
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2008 5:10:24 PM
One of the things I find frustrating about Partisan Politics is the constant reference to "THE RELIGIOUS RIGHT."

It doesn't mean that there are not religious people in other parties. It simply means that the "right wing" conservatives tend to try to bring their religious doctrines into politics more than the other parties. It's mostly republicans who say "We need prayer in school", "Abortion is wrong because it's against God's will", and "This country was founded on Christianity and should stay that way". But the fact is, this country wasn't founded on Christianity, but instead by a bunch of liberals who knew that any and all religion needed to be kept out of government. It was founded on religious tolerance. But the "religious right", as they are often called, fail to understand this. Their minds are too often closed by religion to accept that someone else's views are just as important and/or valid as theirs. They are too eager to use government as a vehicle to instill religious practices on the rest of the population.

One is either progressive or conservative, in my opinion.
"Liberal" is a term for conservatives in disguise. Liberals are conservatives.

I do hope you are kidding.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >