Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Padawan61
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Do you help out people with signs at the end of EXIT RAMPS begging for money?Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Speaking of cash....we keep giving them handouts, and one day they are going to be standing on the corner with a credit card machine

Or better yet, they would get themselves one of those cool wireless direct debit machines used by restaurants. That way, they'll get an immediate transfer from your lowly local bank account to their Swiss bank account.
 Padawan61
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Do you help out people with signs at the end of EXIT RAMPS begging for money?
Posted: 9/13/2008 7:43:36 AM
I was short on lunch money yesterday so I tried this routine at a traffic stop light near downtown ... and was able to mooch enough for a hearty meal with my work buddies.
 supernovastunnah
Msg: 27
Posted: 9/13/2008 3:41:00 PM
i usually do or try to the sad thing is i never have cash sometimes i give them 20 bucks just hoping that karma will do me some favors...yeah im that selfish.
 supernovastunnah
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/13/2008 3:42:13 PM
i think its great how people blanket all these beggars in the same category to be honest its just a way to help yourself sleep at night and hold on to your spare change.
 Padawan61
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2008 8:53:50 PM
i usually do or try to the sad thing is i never have cash sometimes i give them 20 bucks just hoping that karma will do me some favors...yeah im that selfish

Well ... is that karma working for ya??

i think its great how people blanket all these beggars in the same category to be honest its just a way to help yourself sleep at night and hold on to your spare change

A fool and her money will soon part.
 Jeff_corona
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/20/2008 6:05:17 PM
There was always guys by the off-ramp next to where I worked with signs asking for help.One day I asked 2 guys 1 older 1 young if they wanted to come work for 10$ a hr at my work.I un-load trucks & they were not too dirty.The older said" I'll get in trouble if I work cause I'm on SSI for disability" so I told him its cash under the table.Then he said "I got a bad back" The younger one just said "NO" His sign said"Will work for food or $" I guess it was B.S. There was another guy around who never asked for anything no sign or any of that,he would be by the gas station in front of my work,we all bought him coffee,food,gave him smokes,he never asked.He was so dirty it was scary I'm not even sure what color he was.He had that YELLOW POLICE TAPE the DO NOT CROSS kind as a belt.My girlfriend talked to him got his name, saw him on ThanksGiving day & told me "We should help him!" So we took him clothes & food & I told him he could come to my pad ( I lived across the street ) I would let him shower & give him more clothes in the morning then take him to work with me.I went back in the morning he had the clean clothes on over the dirty ones & refused the help.I got so upset after trying to convince him I wanted to kick him,but its his life.
 Jeff_corona
Msg: 33
Posted: 9/20/2008 6:18:08 PM
Pray with me or you get no help??? WOW that is awful.That sounds very inhumane & selfish on your part.A ultimatum is that what jesus would do."If you want to see again or walk again then pray with me or your out of luck?" GOD HELP YOU.You help cause its what is right not to recruit for a cause.That gives RELIGION a bad name.And its why I think RELIGION is not good.WHO NEEDS A BOOK TO TELL THEM HELPING IS RIGHT.Thats your idea of extending a had? It sounds like a hand out at best not a hand up.If you know what the diffrence.I'll pray for you & you can keep the money.
 supernovastunnah
Msg: 34
Posted: 9/21/2008 2:46:11 AM
i dont care if im parted from my money ...**** money.
ive seen people who have money and hold on to it
**** that noise.
 Jeff_corona
Msg: 36
Posted: 9/21/2008 11:40:06 AM
Some very bad stuff happens at shelters.Rape,Assult,Robberies.Most people feel safer on the street.Not to mention what do they do with their stuff? Some homeless have quite a bit of stuff & shelters don't let you move in a bunch of things.Alot of it may appear to be junk but its all they got.I've volunteered at shelters in Los Angeles they are scary.
 beehearnow
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/21/2008 1:10:54 PM
no. there are plenty of places to get a meal...if I want to gift , my time or items, that's the route I choose. Sheesh...i donate money to social programs every hour I work - its called income tax. I wish more of that donation went to the hungry/homeless in this country.

years and years ago, my roommates and I invited a panhandler to our house for a meal because he claimed he wanted the money for food. He responded that he really wanted to buy a bottle of white port and get drunk. I started looking around and realized he was not atypical.
 rockabillykitten
Msg: 41
Posted: 9/21/2008 10:28:04 PM
My late finace was homeless for a while in Arizona and he would always give them money. Before I met him I wouldn't give much thought to it and ignore them on the side of the road but after him explaining how he got there and how he tried to not be there it made me turn over a new leaf.

I still have the bumps in the road though where I offer to buy someone a kids lunch (this is true) at Subway and the guy was being picky about it and wanted this instead of that. Its like dude, you arent really hungry now are you? BUT on the other hand I bought a taco and some other things for this guy at a Del Taco and he couldnt beleive it- he became flushed and couldnt stop saying thank you.

My mum and I were walking into the store on a cold morning and offered a guy $5 for some coffee and he turned it down saying he had enough to get by...

The lesson- it all depends. You are going to find honest and dishonest people no matter where you look.... but always think- what if I was in that situation?
 mamsmaf
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2008 8:44:57 PM
I give them something, a chance to get some exercise. Some guys can jump clear over my car when I try to run them over.
 Rosalund
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2008 10:29:24 PM
It depends on the person and the feeling I get seeing them. I live in a on the coast and it rains a great deal here. Anyone who is out in pouring down rain....to me they are in need.
I know there are professional beggars doing this, and know the ones who do drugs do this for I have heard them talking on the city bus.
But one time I saw a man digging through a city garbage can, and when he found a glass of pop (there was just a tiny amount left) he started to drink it. This man was dressed in poor clothes but still has a style about him that told me he had know better times. I had never seen him around my town before. Its hard to explain....here...anyway I immediately told him to not drink the pop.....and gave him my lunch I had packed . When I ask him if he smoked...and gave him my cigarettes too. The look in his eyes of gratitude.
He immediately walk a small distance away and sat down and ate half the lunch and put the rest away and walked off.
I learned a lesson there...... I don't know the shoes they have walked in or where they go and why they are where they are. But a helping hand if I can and a smile does not harm. Now I don't always do this for I don't have the money.....but there are many who are homeless and unable to find work.
I do believe as time goes on this homelessness will just get worse. Someone reading this right now and ....could well be homeless and out of money in the future for none of us knows what the future holds so lets be kinder to our fellow man...and not let the ones who abuse hurt the ones who really need.
 Rosalund
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2008 1:26:44 AM
There are many who do use this for drugs and such. But there are also many who are in real need........and the times will get worse believe me for many more are homeless now than they were 20 years ago.

I let this be my motto
 Lynsteph74
Msg: 51
Posted: 10/18/2008 7:22:11 PM
When I think of it, I usually put a box of (non-chocolate!) granola bars in my car, just for this purpose.....that way, whether they are in need or not, I don't feel either 1-guilty for ignoring them, or 2-stupid for giving them money. The times I have handed them over, truthfully or not, the people were polite and said thank you, anyway.
 rustytimber
Msg: 52
Posted: 11/2/2008 6:08:39 PM
Next time you seem someone panhandling, look at their shoes. There's a guy that panhandles near our Walmart with $100 nikes, and theyre not thrift store nikes either, they're new. I had a guy want money for food outside a wendy's, so i offered to buy him a burger or whatever, but he replied "oh well, ummm, i can't eat that fast food" but he still wanted the cash....wearing brand new timberland boots.
 DoritoMuncher
Msg: 53
Posted: 4/8/2013 8:16:00 PM
A couple of years ago, I was riding my bike in downtown. There I saw an old man (looked like he was in his late 60's) sleeping under a bridge. His clothes were worn out, and he looked as if he didn't take a bath for a couple of months. It was summer so I wasn't too worry about him sleeping there. On the way back, I saw him waiting for a pedestrian light to turn green, and I tried to get his attention by saying, "Excuse me." As he was turning around to face me, he was already ready to receive changes from me by putting up his hands out towards me. In return, I offered him two oranges, and he waved me off.

About two months ago, at the end of an exit ramp, I saw a young woman (looked like she was in her early 20's) holding a sign (I will get back to this one in a sec) begging for money. Her clothes were clean, and in fact, she looked like any other 20 year olds. One thing that I thought out of place was the fact that she was wearing a yoga pants. It was well below -10 degree Celsius with the road covered in snow, yet she was wearing what appeared to be a thin yoga pants. Whether it was warm enough or not, I have just never seen any beggars with yoga pants on. Anyway, she was receiving changes from a lot of people. She was so busy collecting the money, she had a very little chance to actually holding up the sign so I couldn't see what she wrote on there. In fact, I was wondering what kind of beggars wear yoga pants.

It looked like the young lady was getting much more help from people than the old man although I would think the old man needed more help. At the same time, the old man could afford to reject my oranges so I assume he wasn't hungry, and the way he automatically assumed I would give him money shows that he was still getting enough help from people even though it seemed a lot less when compared to the young lady.

What do you base your decisions on when you hand out changes?
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/9/2013 4:30:22 AM
People with liver and kidney conditions and other digestive problems, not to mention dental issues, all common among homeless folk, often have strict dietary restrictions. Say someone has severe gingivitis, or an old filling recently fell out - he can't eat an orange, it would be agony. And of course they also have preferences, just like the rest of us. (There's no way I could choke down liver, even starving, it would just come right back.) So I would not expect everyone to automatically accept any sort of food, though I might ask if they wanted it depending upon circumstances.

Generally I just give everyone a dollar, or whatever coins I've got - but only if, when, and where I am sure it is safe to do so.

I wouldn't think anything of clothing and shoes, they might have got them from a donation box that morning. But then I'm from Boston, where donation boxes get stocked by Beacon Hill residents... our homeless were filthy as anywhere else, but sometimes surprisingly well dressed. Although they'd do odd things like put a new Lanvin dress over a rotted Fair Isle sweater. Whatever worked for the weather, I guess, and personal neuroses and superstitions.

Anyway, hair, skin, and nails are the real tells, for me, whether or not someone's the genuine article. They might have had a shower at the shelter that morning, but those features will still look weathered at the least, because they are, and nails usually have ground-in grime that won't come out if they've been on the street any length of time.
 shine1274
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/9/2013 9:43:40 AM
I volunteered at a soup kitchen for a while. I saw these people every day. While maybe half were substance abusers, the rest were mostly mentally ill and a small number were just down on their luck. But even having that experience, I still tend to assume the worst.

One day we were getting ready to leave to go shoot a documentary in Georgia, and we came across this guy with a sign up in front of a Wal Mart. He didnt look homeless. I said "Meth addict", my buddy pulls up and asks what the guys story was. The guy says "I am a roofer and couldn't find a job. So I ended up working with Mexicans off the books to make money to feed my family. I fell off a roof and there is no insurance for under the table labor." He lifts his shirt up and turns around and there were relatively fresh staples going up several inches along his spine. He broke his back. My buddy hands him two $20 bills and the guy starts crying and he says "I used to be good man". My buddy says, "You still are."

I felt like shit.
 Midwest_Southwest
Msg: 56
Posted: 4/9/2013 2:32:14 PM
Sure, when they are near and I have cash. Heck, I give money to all sorts of things, including organizations with huge overhead.
 moonshadow2010
Msg: 57
Posted: 4/10/2013 8:23:49 AM

OK people...a lot of the folks you see begging (although here I've never seen it at exit ramps, usually in front of convenience stores) are homeless, and a lot of the homeless are mentally ill and/or alcoholics or addicts. I work in the social service field in our county, so I'm somewhat familiar with these situations. If I see someone begging as I'm going into the store - on the way out I give them a sandwich and a drink. NOT the cash. I have also engaged some in conversation, and told them places they can go for help. If you really want to help someone - there are ways of doing it short of giving them the opportunity to get their next fix.

I agree Cookie... I have worked in the psychiatric and forensic psychiatric hospitals in my province and the best thing to do is to make eye contact, smile and engage them. You will be able to tell pretty quick who is suffering from a mental health issue and who is just begging.... I also agree with the food instead of the cash.

I rarely carry cash these days as in Canada, our 1 and 2 dollars are coins and they get heavy....:)
 SpringMataLeao
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/10/2013 10:27:15 AM
I no longer give anything to beggars.

The few ruined it for the many, but on at least 6 occasions, I have offered food and/or water to the beggars, and they have gotten an attitude. Many of these people are scam artists, and many are alcoholics or drug addicts.
 junipermoon
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2013 5:05:07 PM
anyone at the end of an exit ramp in pa will get plowed over in a matter of seconds.

between the 18-wheelers and the soccer moms and the cell phone freaks and the crack-smoking cabbies, no panhandler would stand a snowball's chance in hell.
 DevilfromToronto
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/10/2013 6:37:15 PM
I had struggles everytime I saw them, give or not give...
 cooldog65
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2013 4:53:43 AM
I got burned once in giving a young skinny pregnant girl $10 in the local mall parking lot. A week later I saw her in a Target parking lot. She had the same sob story as last time. I didn't fall for it a second time. Fool me once...

I was caught by surprise when I was pumping gas and a Cadillac Escalade SUV rolled up next to me. The lady in the passenger seat stepped out and tried to give me some BS story about needing some money. She appeared to be dressed expensively. I ignored her and she copped an attitude with me. Unbelievable.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >