Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do you help out people with signs at the end of EXIT RAMPS begging fo      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 shine1274
Msg: 95
Do you help out people with signs at the end of EXIT RAMPS begging for money?Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I volunteered at a soup kitchen for a while. I saw these people every day. While maybe half were substance abusers, the rest were mostly mentally ill and a small number were just down on their luck. But even having that experience, I still tend to assume the worst.

One day we were getting ready to leave to go shoot a documentary in Georgia, and we came across this guy with a sign up in front of a Wal Mart. He didnt look homeless. I said "Meth addict", my buddy pulls up and asks what the guys story was. The guy says "I am a roofer and couldn't find a job. So I ended up working with Mexicans off the books to make money to feed my family. I fell off a roof and there is no insurance for under the table labor." He lifts his shirt up and turns around and there were relatively fresh staples going up several inches along his spine. He broke his back. My buddy hands him two $20 bills and the guy starts crying and he says "I used to be good man". My buddy says, "You still are."

I felt like shit.
 Midwest_Southwest
Msg: 96
Do you help out people with signs at the end of EXIT RAMPS begging for money?
Posted: 4/9/2013 2:32:14 PM
Sure, when they are near and I have cash. Heck, I give money to all sorts of things, including organizations with huge overhead.
 moonshadow2010
Msg: 97
Posted: 4/10/2013 8:23:49 AM

OK people...a lot of the folks you see begging (although here I've never seen it at exit ramps, usually in front of convenience stores) are homeless, and a lot of the homeless are mentally ill and/or alcoholics or addicts. I work in the social service field in our county, so I'm somewhat familiar with these situations. If I see someone begging as I'm going into the store - on the way out I give them a sandwich and a drink. NOT the cash. I have also engaged some in conversation, and told them places they can go for help. If you really want to help someone - there are ways of doing it short of giving them the opportunity to get their next fix.

I agree Cookie... I have worked in the psychiatric and forensic psychiatric hospitals in my province and the best thing to do is to make eye contact, smile and engage them. You will be able to tell pretty quick who is suffering from a mental health issue and who is just begging.... I also agree with the food instead of the cash.

I rarely carry cash these days as in Canada, our 1 and 2 dollars are coins and they get heavy....:)
 SpringMataLeao
Msg: 98
Posted: 4/10/2013 10:27:15 AM
I no longer give anything to beggars.

The few ruined it for the many, but on at least 6 occasions, I have offered food and/or water to the beggars, and they have gotten an attitude. Many of these people are scam artists, and many are alcoholics or drug addicts.
 junipermoon
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2013 5:05:07 PM
anyone at the end of an exit ramp in pa will get plowed over in a matter of seconds.

between the 18-wheelers and the soccer moms and the cell phone freaks and the crack-smoking cabbies, no panhandler would stand a snowball's chance in hell.
 DevilfromToronto
Msg: 100
Posted: 4/10/2013 6:37:15 PM
I had struggles everytime I saw them, give or not give...
 cooldog65
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2013 4:53:43 AM
I got burned once in giving a young skinny pregnant girl $10 in the local mall parking lot. A week later I saw her in a Target parking lot. She had the same sob story as last time. I didn't fall for it a second time. Fool me once...

I was caught by surprise when I was pumping gas and a Cadillac Escalade SUV rolled up next to me. The lady in the passenger seat stepped out and tried to give me some BS story about needing some money. She appeared to be dressed expensively. I ignored her and she copped an attitude with me. Unbelievable.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do you help out people with signs at the end of EXIT RAMPS begging for money?