Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 scorpiomover
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Marriage - A Commitment to God or your Partner?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Why not both?

One aspect of marriage is a commitment to your partner.

Another aspect is a commitment to keeping in touch with nature, and not being selfish and hurting your partner, or too submissive and so hurting yourself and in the process, weakening your relationship. Another aspect is that the way we act towards our nearest and dearest reflects on you, and affects how you act towards everyone else. So keeping a happy marriage, that is happy for you, and for your partner, is something that G-d wants too.

Frankly, G-d wants you to make a good job of your marriage. If you are in Church, but have no intention of keeping your other half happy, you really think G-d will be happy if you make vows to that effect, knowing they are vows you will never keep?

On the other hand, you really think that G-d isn't going to be ecstatic that you spread love and happiness in the world by keeping each other happy?

G-d is found not just in G-d's house, but also in the Registry Office of 2 people who are truly in love.
 sydneyleigh
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Marriage - A Commitment to God or your Partner?
Posted: 9/9/2008 11:37:29 AM
^^^^^^^ agree completely.
the marriage, or ceremony is a celebration of the existence of the commitment, not the beginning of it.
 forumschick
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2008 8:37:30 PM

During family dinner yesterday, our family had a debate over the issue of marriage.
One person said, "marriage is very religious, it's should be about your commitment to God and should be held in a church."
My argument was that marriage is about making a commitment to your partner. Weddings can be spiritual, but I don't believe they need to be held in a church.
So my question is - is marriage a commitment to God, or commitment to your partner?

Both.
As I understand it from the Bible, it is a commitment to one's spouse and to The Almighty since in all of the gospels and The old Testament there are several "warnings" concerning divorce.

As for the actual ritual or ceremony; there is no particular reference regarding it.
That being said, we do live in a society which is governed by laws and the bible does say that we must obey the laws of men, therefore, you need nothing more than a piece of paper saying that you are legally married.

All else, is just man made tradition...

Ferruginous
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/10/2008 7:36:50 PM
Personally, I feel that marriage is primarilly a commitment to your partner, not to God.

However, if 2 people share similar religous beliefs, they may feel it's important to them to profess that commitment to each other, "in God's presence". Hence the reason they may want to be married in a church, or by a minister.
 forumschick
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2009 1:10:51 PM

it does say in the bible that god wishes us to marry to show others what he wants relationships to be.marriage was concieved from the sins of the time.people were so far from god that he wanted those who were followers to express his intent through marriage.

Excuse me? Where exactly in the bible did you see that?

UnzippedPassion
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2009 3:13:53 PM
Ephesians 5: 25: "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her" (NIV).

Our priorities are first to God, to love Him with all our heart, soul, mind and strength; second to our spouse, our present and eternal valentine; and next are the children and other members of the family and then our ministry to the world.

Both partners must be spiritually minded, and both must seek the will of the Lord and with the help of the Holy Spirit should seek first the kingdom of God and each invite the Lord Jesus to direct their lives and their marriage.

He is the one who has preserved us through the years and will continue to do so as we walk in the Spirit and invite His control of our thoughts, attitudes, actions, motives, desires and words. Without total commitment to HIM, there would be no guidance or direction to insure a happy healthy long lasting marraige. Everything is deeper and more meaningful when we give ourselves to God first to take control and lead us and with both partners doing the same thing, they truly become one.

My opinion....and belief! Too bad it took so many years for me to understand it. Oyyyy
 UnzippedPassion
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2009 3:14:14 PM
WhOoOPs...sorry, somehow double posted when I tried to fix the mad face that showed up from the 5: 25: lol
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 26
Marriage - A commitment to your god or your partner?
Posted: 2/9/2009 2:03:24 AM
I've always thought it to be a commitment you made to yourself.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 28
Marriage - A commitment to your god or your partner?
Posted: 2/16/2009 11:34:07 PM

So my question is - is marriage a commitment to God, or commitment to your partner?

My husband was Muslim, I'm a naturalist. Our commitment was to one another.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2009 5:26:27 AM
A: God
B: Partner
C: Other

You did not give the C pick, but C is the winner. Marriage is a man made contract and like all contracts is subject to change modification and termination. Since there is no god the A pick is a none started. The commitment to ones partner might work for some, but for others it will not and we go back to C for them, in fact most marriages end with C.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >