Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > most unique bands/artist      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Indiegirl54
Msg: 51
most unique bands/artistPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
^^^^^^^^ I love David Bowie Im an 80's b!tch.

But I will definately agree with the girls that said The Blood Brothers.

And I will also throw in Ween, Primus, MGMT..... just a few that come to find with a different sound.
 ThatVibe
Msg: 52
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/22/2008 9:31:49 PM
Bands & musical artists most people would know ... now that makes it difficult. I suppose in England most people would know Scott Walker, but certainly not here in the states.

I gotta go way, way back for this one and say Roy Orbison.
 Irespire
Msg: 53
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/23/2008 12:03:33 AM
I'd say Ne Obliviscaris. They're black metal, but with fiddles and all kinds of unique instruments. The guy who sings can sound like a female at times, too.
 Eyehateyou
Msg: 54
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/24/2008 9:37:11 PM
Elliot Smith.................
 uthinkinboutit
Msg: 55
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/24/2008 11:26:20 PM
rolling stones, the who, led zep, ted nuegent, lots have 'a sound' all their own.
 zombie_geek
Msg: 56
view profile
History
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/27/2008 12:29:17 AM
Dayglo abortions.
 snowpeach06
Msg: 57
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/27/2008 10:00:10 AM
The Gaslight Anthem - A blend of blues and punk
Lucero - good country rock is pretty hard to find
Manchester Orchestra - The lyrics are just brilliant most of the time
Astronaughtalis - this is honestly the most interesting album I have heard in a while. It draws from probably every genre out there.
Mat Kearny - how many white guys do you know who can mix pop piano and rap?
 Eyehateyou
Msg: 58
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/27/2008 11:44:37 AM
Swans
Godflesh
Bjork
Whitehouse
Joy Division
Faith No More

And for the record, The Blood Brothers are about as "Unique" as Bring Me The Horizion......
 Infinity Mine
Msg: 59
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/27/2008 1:51:32 PM
Well...the MOST unique will never be THAT famous...

John Coltrane...nearing the end was pretty f*ckin' out there...apparently influenced by Albert Ayler...listen to Interstellar Space...if you can...

Anything John Zorn or Bill Laswell gets involved in is on the fringes...Massacre, Painkiller, Praxis...

Ken Vandermark is a f*cking genious

Hella, Don Cabalero, Battles....and most everyone reading this is sayin' "WHO????"
 Eyehateyou
Msg: 60
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/28/2008 4:56:44 AM
Hella are good...

Don Cab are good..

Battles are just over rated....

Very talented guys none the less...

Ive seen them live a few times. Was impressed, but still dont like them.

If you like Hella, Don Cabalero and Battles check out Oxes
 Lyliet
Msg: 61
view profile
History
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/28/2008 7:52:34 PM
(ok Zappa I do agree)

Waits
Cave
Rammstein
 katchit
Msg: 62
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 10/1/2008 7:54:55 AM
Quite a good few mentioned but in my eyes a few omissions

Sly and the Family Stone - One of the finest American bands and truly groundbreaking

The Specials - Fused cutting political thought and ska rhythms to brilliant effect

Tinariwen - African soul band who mix guitar solos and hypnotic chanting vocals

Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66 - Made Samba music a cultural phenomenon

All are trailblazers and ploughed the furrow for future styles of music and subsequent artists
 James_in_SD
Msg: 63
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 10/1/2008 9:12:18 AM
Tubeway Army. A three-piece band fronted by Gary Numan, pre-"Cars". Raw sound at first, bass, drums, guitar and Numan's distinctive vocals. Then they added keyboards and synth. Plus a couple of acoustic ballads. Their music was recorded in 1978-79. "Are You Real", "Down in the Park" and "My Shadow in Vain" are some of their many good songs.

Numan's solo work is quite good, too. Dark, chilling electronica ("Cars", long one of my favorites) and alternative metal. He also did some dance/club type music, which I wasn't as fond of, although it still netted some decent songs.

Numan's London accent is much more noticeable in the Tubeway Army songs.

Others:

Denny Zeitlin's rapid-fire cool jazz piece for the "1 to 10" animated segments from Sesame Street; remember those? (Racing cars, trenchcoats) Grace Slick did the vocals.

Lalo Schifrin, composer of the "Mission Impossible" theme and several movie soundtracks. His score for "Dirty Harry" is some of the darkest, coolest stuff I've heard.

Whoever wrote the early 1970's "Monday Night Football" theme.
 feeltobefree
Msg: 64
view profile
History
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 10/1/2008 12:11:16 PM
Hawksley Workman.. very Leonard Cohenesque..

What makes him unique is his versatility with instruments, songs, live performances (mixing music with poetry with talk) and his romantically infused lyrics and songs.

Recommend his second album, [Last Night We Were] The Delicious Wolves

Oh by the way one of the best voices, incredible range.
 Infinity Mine
Msg: 65
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 10/1/2008 10:08:49 PM
John Scofield really knows how to mix it up....
 seattlerain11
Msg: 66
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 10/3/2008 3:34:26 PM
Klaus Nomi and Bjork

Hands down.

I'll fight anyone who disagrees. :-)

James, Seattle, Washington, USA, Earth
 ibmax2008
Msg: 67
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 10/3/2008 8:19:01 PM
I think, as has been said above, that uniqueness is mostly transient. Maybe it is mostly about the many bands/artists that break the ground ahead of the followers. What is truly amazing is that even today, despite the millions of songs and tunes produced in our evolution, music is still coming out that is different for whatever time.
My current likes are
Kings of Leon, Beirut, Over the Rhine, Cold War Kids, Gillian Welsh, John Butler Trio (especially the alternative use of the double bass live!!), Eskimo Joe and some of our Kiwi live and local music.
Yes to Pink Floyd, Bowie, Yes, Queen, Jethro Tull, Jefferson Airplane, etc being ground breakers!
The Sex Pistols were the end of good music or so I thought at the time (read cr#p)...thank G#d for Talking Heads, Patti Smith, Blondie etc (maybe The Ramones for their place in history rather than my liking them!!).
 ibmax2008
Msg: 68
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 10/3/2008 8:23:21 PM
Kate Bush was mentioned...what about the more recent Alanis Mossisette (probably too many letters but what the hay)?
 elegant_commando
Msg: 69
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 10/3/2008 11:49:10 PM
i completely agree with

secret chiefs 3- i love it when they get electronic and run synths thru strange instruments , then all of a sudden epic mid east movie soundtrack sounding - unique stuff
http://www.imeem.com/people/uT82UT/music/HPP7Uo7q/secret_chiefs_3_the_end_times/

zappa-lol maybee as unique as it gets http://www.imeem.com/freedaweed/music/34R7vtEd/frank_zappa_05_gspot_tornado/

hip hop -madlib (madvillian) never ever will you hear such smooothed out hiphop perfect selections of funk breaks everything. best jazz hiphop hybrid. shades of blue (talking about album being all bluenote jazz hiphop renditions) . his horace silver remix of songs for my father goose bumped me the first time i heard it. perfect.

http://www.imeem.com/artists/madlib/playlist/d0HLf6J9/shades_of_blue_album/

some of my opinions

for hiphop i got to mention MF DOOM - the mans lyrics are lazer sharp - delivery sounds like a cross of somebody reading from a murder mystery and speaking in iambic pentameter
classic> http://www.imeem.com/rockmusic13/music/079t88q5/madvillain_madlib_accordian/
another good tune http://www.imeem.com/hubbay/music/mXbNJVXn/viktor_vaughn_saliva/

electronic - ewun pretty heavy duty ny born dnb .. altho his formula caught on still unique
http://www.imeem.com/drcarlisle/music/Ev_t6sUg/evol_intent_glock_party/
http://www.imeem.com/diego555/music/CXVi4ekp/ewun_phonetap/

reggae - i think slightly stoopid i like theyre take on acoustic dubby stuff http://www.imeem.com/slightlystoopid/music/M-nCxj97/slightly_stoopid_anywhere_i_go/

rnb - i rarely listen to id but i did this girl from london i think named estelle
http://www.imeem.com/ladylizd/music/blZEYe5s/hitek_life_to_me_ft_estelle/

hope i didnt break no rules posting links mods

Infinity Mine
Msg: 70
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 10/4/2008 12:27:22 AM
Mahogany Frog.

PERIOD. END OF STORY.

Just when I'm thinking I haven't been this excited about new music since the (King) Crimson Jazz Trio....these guys whip out a f*cking prog rock version of Dave Brubeck.....I damn near lost it....

Fans of the all the old prog...do yourself a f*cking favor and do whatever it takes to get yer hands on this music....
 backwarduck!
Msg: 71
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 10/4/2008 7:15:43 PM
Poi Dog Pondering

From folk to rap and a whole lotta dance... and great lyrics.

"we are space dust"
 lyingcheat
Msg: 72
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 10/7/2008 1:37:35 AM
Unique, as in strange or bizarre...

Nina Hagen was pretty cool, especially since she launched her career from inside East Germany, which surely meant she must have been blazing a trail in more ways than one.

Tiny Tim was kinda unique... thankfully. He did have one massive megakiller worldwide hit though and most people over a certain age would instantly recognise his voice.

The Residents! They got their name from junk mail sent to the house they lived in when they started out. Still completely anonymous, they often perform with paper bags on their heads, or giant eyeballs, or ridiculous masks etc etc
They haven't deviated (since the late seventies? Early eighties?) from their original musical 'idea'. Whatever it was.

Unique, as in innovative...

Roxy Music, not only an influential band but one that launched a couple of enduring careers as well... eg; Brian Ferry and Brian Eno.
Eno went on to work with Bowie, David Byrne (Talking Heads), Robert Fripp, and many others, while also putting out solo stuff. He was very very influential across a few different genres of music.

Robert Fripp..!! His solo stuff, the collaborations (and there are many) and going right back to The League of Gentleman and King Crimson. A pioneer of styles and effects that many have followed, imitated, and evolved.

A tip of the hat to a few that have already been mentioned too, like...

Laurie Anderson, Kraftwerk and Talking Heads. All innovators.
And the ONE who probably defines uniqueness, combined with great success?
VAN MORRISON!!! A great distinctive voice, great songwriting, and a versatile multi-instrumentalist who has never been emulated. Because he can't be! He is a genre of one. The definition of unique.
 pandamoose
Msg: 73
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 10/7/2008 8:43:09 PM
I absolutely love Jars of Clay, but only the older albums. Their lyrics are amazingly poetic in a very passionate way.
 1001001SOS
Msg: 74
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 10/7/2008 10:53:13 PM
Pet Shop Boys
Sparks
John Foxx
Dragonforce(definitely not the best power metal band,but probably the fastest)
Jethro Tull
Cocteau Twins
Philip Glass
Heaven 17
Killing Joke
Kraftwerk
 1001001SOS
Msg: 75
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 10/7/2008 10:55:43 PM
I have always liked Numan a lot,but I have kind of lost interest since he went in a darker"God does not exist"direction.
But TubeWay Army up to Berserker.....classic.Well,except for Dance..
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > most unique bands/artist