Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Saver1
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Is America the BEST Country in the World?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
American is the best country in the world when it comes to how it treats its own people. I like American spirit that nothing can stop you to achieve your dream. In some countries it is a different story.

Foreign policy – yes it is the worst
 eeeo4U
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Is America the BEST Country in the World?
Posted: 9/13/2008 9:29:51 AM
Let's see...Korea, Japan, Panama, Honduras, Colombia, Germany, Austria, Italy.Switzerland, France, Egypt, Lebanon, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Iraq, Somalia, Bosnia, Macedonia, Grenada...and that was just under the "travel to exotic places, meet interesting people and shoot them!" plan...then Ireland and Scotland plus Mexico and the Bahamas as a tourist. I know being a GI does tend to let you see countries at their worst, but a lot of my service was peacetime and I was always grateful for being born an American, glad my Italian and Irish ancestors chose to settle here.
 itechman63
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 9:35:25 AM
We can love America and have our opinion the it is the best. Personally I think it might have been once, still might be, but we are way below our potential.

We don't have to typically be A-holes about it though.
 junipermoon
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 9:51:17 AM
the u.s. has the grand canyon, the poconos and cape cod. the u.s. produced fred astaire, georgia o'keefe and the blues. the u.s. invented the lobstah pot, corn bread and the mint julep.

yes, we also have to take responsibility for bush, leisure suits and rap music.

but, we have here one damn fine dancin'-in-the-streets-top-hat-crazy-sexy-cool nation.

go ahead and bash individuals. but the nation itself? love it or leave it.
 kabiosile
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 2:29:41 PM

I don't see it as though we are better than anybody else. Far from it.

I took the original question as not being about arrogance or narcissism but about pride and patriotism, and although it gets overshadowed quite often by poor choices in leaders, there is a lot of that here. I am indeed very proud to be American.

There is MUCH to be fixed here. We've made some HUGE mistakes politically.
But to assume 'Bush/Cheney = America', is just not accurate.

If there's one primary thing that's wrong with America and our system of government, it is that we don't seem to learn very well from the past.

-Suth'nBoy

I can agree with that.
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 40
Posted: 9/13/2008 2:44:43 PM
According to the United Nations Human Development Index rankings . . . no.
In 2007/2008 it was 12th in a field of 177 countries, and dropping.

According to most of the categories ranked in the Central Intelligence Agency's World Fact Book . . . no.

According to most of rankings in the compilations of confessed statistics nerd Photius Coutsoukis . . . no.

According to the Happy Planet Index, a ranking where each country’s HPI value is a function of its average subjective life satisfaction, life expectancy at birth, and ecological footprint per capita . . . no. In the most recent rankings, it was 150th out of 178 countries.

According to the World Happiness Database, a so-called 'register on scientific research on subjective appreciation of life' . . . no.
It ranked 17th out of 95 countries.

According to some of my American relatives . . . yes and no.

According to me . . . as neighbours go, I've had both better and worse.

-

Sources:
http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/docs/rankorderguide.html

http://www.photius.com/rankings

http://www.happyplanetindex.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Planet_Index

http://www1.eur.nl/fsw/happiness/hap_nat/nat_fp.htm

OneBlend
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 4:35:07 PM
America will be what you remembered it as and only that.
With the bail outs of Freddie and Fannie, we're headed for a depression - none the likes of which you and I have seen before. So once we come tumbling down, and it looks almost certain, you can rely on your good memories.

Keep voting for globalists who want to share your hard earned money with everyone else. Keep voting for candidates who support bailing out the corporations at your expense (and it will bankrupt us)! Keep voting for candidates who send your hard earned money to fund wars (for who really?). Keep voting for candidates who keep you fearful with shadow terrorism and who are one buy one, attacking the sovereignty of other countries.

THIS IS NOT AMERICA!
 EarlzP
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 6:34:02 PM
Unfortunately Bush/Cheney are now being replaced by their clones McCain/Parlin it's really hard to tell the four some apart, if you put them behind a curtain and questioned them you couldn't tell one from from another

How would you define best? What criteria would you use? Honesty? Wealth, Humanity? Education, Health Care, Employment,
 kabiosile
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 11:40:25 PM
USA is not the richest nation in 2008

U-S-A! We’re number one! Not really, according to PARADE magazine’s IntelligenceReport. From the August 17 issue:

Despite what the Presidential candidates are saying, America is not the world’s richest nation. If you run the numbers, Switzerland has a higher median household income ($62,000, compared with our $48,000). And, at $44,000, our per capita GDP (the amount of national income generated per citizen) has fallen to third: The tiny nation of Luxembourg leads the way, with $78,000; Norway is second, with $52,000. Last year, the number of millionaires in China, Russia, and India grew faster than in the U.S.

Income inequality also is greater in the U.S. than in other developed nations, and some economists believe that makes us more vulnerable to hitting the skids than the rest of the world. “Low-wealth children are unlikely to become high-wealth adults, while high-wealth children are very likely to become high-wealth adults,” says Dalton Conley of the Center for American Progress, a Washington think tank. “That should sound alarms for policymakers.”
 junipermoon
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 6:14:33 PM

Canadians don't have to shout how great we are from the rooftops

why not? canada gave us robert service, margaret atwood, peter jennings, stu elliott and northern dancer. plenty to brag about there!

i do wish canada would shut down the slaughterhouses where so many american horses end up. but other than that, canada seems a pretty awesome place!
 designingwoman
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 8:08:49 PM
There's alot of good about the US but we can learn from other countries. Universal health care is something our country sorely needs, for example. Ireland is kicking our collective butts with their universal college education program. Instead of wasting money on dumb wars like the war in Iraq, we could have spent the money educating Americans to make our country stronger, and making our people healthier. Progressive values need to be restored to bring America to her fullest glory!

Voting for Obama and Biden will give us the potential to be THE best because we were smart enough to vote in the BEST to fix up the mess that Bush created, bringing America down from what it could be. Optimism and hope for a better future has me ready to vote for Obama and Biden in November so that we can restore the many things that have made America great.
 dragonpat
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 12:15:56 AM
Is America the Best country in the world? First off like many have said this is an opinion, and like the people of many countries in the world Americans are proud of their nation and have many many reasons to be proud.
Is there really a way to measure best? nope. So we are in opinion land.
I love this nation, I have been to many other nations that i like a whole lot, respect and even a few I love. But this nation will always be my home.
As for the comment on Canada having all that america has to offer plus health care ect. Nope we still have a few things Canada doesnt have, but they may not want them any more than i want national health care.
Finally i want to say it is sad that once again some of the democrat mouth pieces here had to turn this into a bash bush and the republican post.
 427cammer
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 1:12:22 AM
It is somewhat amusing (but mostly just sad) to see how quick some people are so quick to say that educated is the same as intelligent. From looking at profiles it is often the posters who are purporting themselves as educated that are the most guilty of bashing and finger pointing.

And most often any message they are trying to convey is completely lost because of the snotty elitism dripping from every word. It is no wonder the republicans would be trying to portray these people as unlikeable... THEY ARE.
 427cammer
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 1:42:01 AM
I don't like pandering eiher, in most cases I'm pretty good at recognizing it so it really doesn't work on me. Maybe on others, who knows?

I have known a few educated, intelligent people who you can sit and have a beer with. Very often I disagree with them, but I try hard to listen when they speak. The quickest way to stop me from listening would be to tell me that because I'm poor and uneducated I must drink a flat of beer every night. I wonder if Americans even know what a flat is?
 tallskier
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 2:19:08 PM

Q. If america is 'the best' then why does the rest of the world despise it so much?

Where is the evidence that the rest of the world despises America so?
 Clandestiny
Msg: 65
Posted: 9/16/2008 3:06:11 PM
I can say this much. America has her flaws; what nation doesn't? And maybe it is true that America isn't the greatest country in the world. But being an American is the greatest feeling in the world.

If I were not an American, i'd want to become one in a big hurry.
 zabet
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 4:56:50 PM
We keep saying America as if the United States of America is the only country on this rather large continent known as America. What's up with that?
 flyguy51
Msg: 81
Posted: 9/20/2008 9:35:35 AM
It's the best country in the world for Americans, of which I am one.

Interesting notes: I wasn't actually born in the US, and when I was in Sydney, Australia, at least three people asked if I was Canadian. Things that make you go "Hmm..."
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 83
Posted: 9/20/2008 10:55:51 AM
90% of us live within 50 miles of the border. You'd be hard pressed to find a Canadian who hasn't been in the US pretty regularly.

As far as information about the rest of the US - yeah Canadians, and most Americans, get their info about that from the media.
 flyguy51
Msg: 84
Posted: 9/20/2008 11:08:49 AM

Well that would be their problem then wouldn't it ?

For the record, it is also ours.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2008 9:17:55 PM
Interesting.

It's late so I only read the first and last pages of this thread before posting this, so pardon me if my views have already been offered.

I couldn't help noting that what started as a fairly civil discussion seems to have digressed into a pissing contest.

But to the point, my first reaction when reading the OP's question is that the real issue is that planet Earth is the best planet we've got to work with, and the real goal ought to be how we can all live harmoniously on the only planet we've got to call home.

In that vein, is the U.S. the best country at promoting world peace, a healthy global economy, a healthy and thriving global citizenry, and wisely stewarding our natural resources? Those are the questions that would determine 'best' in my book, and after the last eight years, we've got a lot of room for improvement on all of those fronts.

I'm not one to rank countries, but think of some person you hold in very high regard. Is that person also the most domineering, self-centered, albeit richest and physically strongest person you know? If so then I suppose you might also think of the U.S. as the 'best' country. If not then perhaps we've got some work to do, and should think hard about how we vote as a result.

Dave
 dragonpat
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2008 7:28:56 PM
Sir, i served in the military and my father also served in the military. I am extreamly proud of my nation and will always love this country. Loving something doesnt make a person blind to its flaws. Loving something doesnt mean i will not say there are flaws with the system and what people have done to this nation. It is my pride in my country that motivates me to say this nation is in trouble and something must be done. It is pride in the whole nation that prompts me to plead with my fellow citizens to unite and help fix this country. TO end the party line and start with the American line.
 johnnyprice
Msg: 101
Posted: 9/26/2008 2:58:42 AM
I'm Canadian and I love Canada, but I do believe that America is the best country in the world, warts and all.
 geeleebee
Msg: 104
Posted: 11/1/2008 1:40:44 PM
To keep things honest, this wasn't written by an Australian dentist--it's been passed around the internet since 2001. While it does have something worth saying, in my opinion, it should be credited to the actual author.

From Snopes:

By Peter Ferrara, an associate professor of law at the George Mason University School of Law.
September 25, 2001 9:20 a.m.
 fridayboo
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2008 6:08:52 AM
Hell yeah it is!
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >