Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 surreygal
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Sarah's Law Gives Mothers Right To Make 'Sex Checks' !!Page 5 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I totally agree with you Macforty as i would feel the same way if it was the other way round. I am very funny about people being around my son as you hear so many horror stories. Its difficult to find a balance as it makes you wonder how far you should go in order to protect your kids. I can see the pros and cons on both sides to be honest.
 yorkiebar
Msg: 18
Sarah's Law Gives Mothers Right To Make 'Sex Checks' !!
Posted: 9/15/2008 4:34:00 AM
MACFORTY i think ppl with kids would go to any lengths to keep there kids safe and if i ment loseing a man because he felt violated and hurt that his new woman wanted to do a check on him then thats his loss.
 yorkiebar
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/15/2008 4:44:00 AM
i think there are pros and cons to this and things will need to be monitered so as not to cause unessesary upset to many ppl.
 bexonlegs
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 3:22:33 AM
I think this a fantastic idea!!!
Any man who came into my life and felt cheated/upset that id done a check on him musn't love me enough to understand why i'd done it in the first place. So many stories ive read of men KILLING babies by shaking them etc and or ABUSING them and the "mother" standing back and letting it happen or turning a blind eye.
Some people get blinded by love and bad people play on these feelings.
I dont think its political correctness gone mad or big brother syndrome-i think we ought to know who we are getting involved with and i personally believe this shouldnt just be for paedophiles, it should be wide spread and used to ensure we know if any man/women in contact with our kids has a criminal conviction for something which can put them in harms way.
Schools have to have people CRB checked as do many other organisations, so it makes sense that it should be more available to all.
 pantsonfire
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 9:34:42 AM
I was wondering how to word how I felt.... ^^^ Put it perfectly ....

How would you feel if you got it wrong and caused an innocent man(or woman) to lose his job, family, home, because of you?

What if they became depressed and committed suicide or died at the hands of a vigilante? Is it acceptable 'collateral damage' just because it's not your child? It's still someones child that might die through this law and no one single innocent is less important than another ....
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 10:18:15 AM
I wonder why the simple option of tagging convicted child sexual offenders for life can't be used. For life may seem extreme but their actions will live with the child forever, a constant reminder of what some sicko has done to them.

The tags would have to be different from standard 'minor' offence tagging but would be visible for anyone to see. Maybe it should be a collar - treat them like the uncontrollable animals they are. I think that everyone has a right to know if a child abuser is in their community. Do I care what happens to them, no sorry I don't. I do care about innocent people being caught up. I do care about other children being at risk.

So what if child abusers get hounded out of town (sorry but I just can't have any sympathy for people as depraved as these) - with a tag they should find it difficult to 'go underground', they will also not be able to hide their past and even children could be educated to avoid tagged people in the same way as they are educated to avoid running into busy roads. Tags would avoid innocent people being victims - if you are not tagged, you have committed no crime.

I will not think of Child molesters as human - they are worse than animals. The thought of what they do to little innocent children makes me sick to my stomach.

I am so thankful my daughter is now an adult but one day she will no doubt have children of her own and we will protect them in every possible way we can.

I'm sure my view is far too simplistic and wouldn't work for one reason or another, mainly because the perpetrators of these crimes would never be 'free' to get on with their lives. Oh, just like the thousands of adult's who try to live with the after effects of being abused as children. The effects of abuse do not go away as kids grow into adulthood - it is with them for life, and often prevents them from living a 'normal' life.
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 12:11:25 PM
recall some article on the news, plod said they know where 99.7% of all registered paedophiles are in this country, in america it is less than 75% as due to the disclosure law, many people who the police would like to know their whereabouts have vanished due to local vigilantes taking the law into their own hands......

crime stoppers is great for the serious people, but not everyone goes onto it and who admits to trawling the net for pictures of people wanted by the plod ?

maybe it will work, only time will tell :)
 bexonlegs
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2008 4:03:51 AM
Keefys
I agree with what your saying but to be honest,any women with kids, if she were a decent mum, would not move a guy in she did not know for their relationship to only break down within a few weeks. Its not fair on anyone, let alone the kids.( trust me, i know what I'm talking about) And if in this instance his job/personal life was affected by a backlash then yes i completely agree this is not acceptable and the perportraters should be dealt with.
However, i think we should have the right to know who we are getting involved with, and rightly or wrongly, when men reach a certain age (40ish) and have never been married and/or are living with parents it does send alarm bells ringing!
 oggers
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2008 5:26:53 AM
Whilst I am in no doubt that this scheme will find out ex offenders (and therefore potential future offenders..?), I can see several pitfalls ... not least:

1) potential for identity fraud , offenders getting through the system
2) false accusation / police errors leading to innocent guys being wrongly accused either by the authorities or by a vindictive ex partner.

Also, does this law give the same right of checking to be given to single fathers ..??

I can promise you one thing however - If in the unlikely event that I am wrongly accused of being a sex offender by the old bill or a pissed off mother, I shall sue their asses for as much as possible !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 leeparsons
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2008 3:59:00 PM
LoL! I think its right for a person to know who they are getting involved with. Thou, I don't think will strength the relationship and ultimately cause it to demize. My question is, will this work the other way around. Men checking on womens background?
One thinks this could be a slight baisied law, which would only cater one sex. This has been proven to be similar in other laws as well!
Lee
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2008 4:26:48 PM
Someone asked about women pedos....

Myra Hyndley ? or whatever she is called ?

Recall single dads can do the checks, the interesting bit comes when they tell their friends and they start gossiping down the pub, soon enough will have a mob going after people who put paediatrician as their job title, sort of close and who cares when drunk.....
 electric-gypsy
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2008 6:29:04 AM
I totally agree with Sarah's Law. Put children's needs first. Everyone else's interest should come second.

One thinks this could be a slight baisied law, which would only cater one sex.

The overwhelming majority of child sex offenders are men, so it makes sense that we (mothers) should have the right to vet potential partners.

If men are worried about being victimised by the new system, they should stop assaulting children. If you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to moan about.
 electric-gypsy
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2008 6:35:27 AM

Apart from the point that it actully puts children in more danger...

How does it do that?
 electric-gypsy
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2008 12:57:27 AM
Having something to hide is neither illegal or morally objectionable. You have absolutely no right to pry into my life, and nor does the government. When I am convicted of a crime I shall expect to be punished for it. But as I have not yet been convicted of any crime all you "If you have nothing to hide" bunch can kindly bugger off and mind your own ****ing business!

Sarah's Law discloses ONLY whether the man in question is a convicted child sex offender, which, as a matter of fact, IS our business.

Now, I've read some other 'anti' arguments on this thread that have some validity... such as, he could use a fake ID, etc. So it seems a paedophile could find ways around this scheme.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has come up with any better ideas?
 try1more
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2008 3:07:59 AM
i'm quite surprised that even mac has missed the implications of this.
which of course is that if this law is considered satisfactory there will be more offenders on the streets (save filling up the prisons) let the parents keep a check on them. as for alma you are looking at lots of pictures but don't seem able to put them together. first you say there are many intelligent people in high places, but go on to question the ability of peads to obtain fake id. given the way the government is currently distributing personal data, i dont imagine that should be much of a problem anyway.
wake up people this is looking for a cheap alternative to locking them up.
care in the community never done anyone any good and nor will this!
 leeparsons
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2008 6:38:40 PM
Yes I agree with this comment is true. Thou then, why dont we just label every criminal with a big steak tattoo into there head? Because its unethical! Im sorry but its not necessary men that do these crimes, which has been reflected in past history of accounts of incidences. I agree a larger proportion, are that of men.
Thou, we could take this law, and fit it to other circumstances where we could see fit! Its a close one to call, and I aint making my judgment just yet!
 aquaplane
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2008 4:20:08 PM
It's all bollocks, just use reasonable prudence and you will be OK.

There is no bogey man.
Use yer fecking common sense.

Fer gawds sake, what's the fecking chances? Do you buy a lottery ticket? You are more likely to win so stop buying a ticket if you are that gullible.
 try1more
Msg: 194
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2008 9:39:04 AM
ok lets set the scene.
it's a town there are a few mothers that have had checks on guys that turned up positive so of course they have steered clear of them.
one day a mother (doesn't have to be one who has had checks made) reports a missing child understandably she is very upset.
now i'll hand over to you to continue the story!
 try1more
Msg: 195
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2008 10:08:08 AM
as far as misstaken identity is concerned.
i have been recognised? on 3 occasions that come to mind.
the first was by my mother. she told me that she saw a guy on the dock, she was on the ferry to bute (scottish island) that if she didn't know i was over 300 miles away she could have been convinced it was me!
the second i was on a train heading south in germany, a guy sat opposite me and started chatting like he knew me. it turned out i was the spitting image of someone he had worked with.
the third my wife (at the time) went to the doctors and saw someone she said looked dressed and acted like me.
two of them were no strangers to me the other one was no stranger to who he thought i was.
sh!t i hope the last one's not on the register! he's local!
 Loose_end
Msg: 197
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2008 6:42:04 AM

ok lets set the scene.
it's a town there are a few mothers that have had checks on guys that turned up positive so of course they have steered clear of them.
one day a mother (doesn't have to be one who has had checks made) reports a missing child understandably she is very upset.
now i'll hand over to you to continue the story!

And there's so many other possibilities to boot!

And Women are to be trusted with this information are they? Not that i'm saying Women cant keep secrets , but thats a heck of a secret to keep!

Keep them locked up, exterminate them, i'd go there before suggesting a scheme such as this
 Loose_end
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2008 4:20:25 AM

but it is too many of them to keep them locked up .. and the prisons are already full up.

this is why the government is coming with the solutions like this. It is cheaper for them.

I would never claim to know all the answers, neither do i know the 'golden' answer. But i do believe the answer of allowing single Mums access will create many more problems than it could ever hope to solve.

A rope, a beam, a chair.........Thats cheap enough, even adding in the expense of 'one last meal' But that opens a whole new can of worms, the death penalty, wrongful convictions etc

But then again, sometimes evidence is conclusive.

Interesting footnote, good to hear Dennis Nilson may be back on our streets this year! You want to ease the burden on the prisons, kill scum like him......
 *Sedusme*
Msg: 201
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2008 12:43:14 PM
I started reading this thread, but afraid Ive skipped right to the end as I'm running out of time.
So hope I'm not wasting yr time & repeating something.
Why do there have to be checks?
Why cant there be a public record of convicted paedophiles, stating their actual crime & punishment...
So the drunken boy of 17 with his also drunken girlfriend of 15, wont be accused of paedophilia if he touches her the wrong way, with her consent...
Or the daft kid who thinks its funny to 'moon ' from a car or train...Or so-called 'crimes' of that nature.
There are exceptions to every rule but if the details were spelled out, it would be common knowledge what level of child-abuse or paedophilia was involved.
Adults who commit these terrible crimes against innocent young children should be in a different category to criminals who commit other crimes.
They should know from the beginning that being publicly exposed would be one of their punishments...
Surely that would deter most but the demented people who are truly out of control & should be locked up forever...
Just my thoughts on this subject...
 *Sedusme*
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2008 1:43:40 AM
I had no idea that there were so many people with the same name & date of birth!
A photo & description should be published & a location..These details should be made public knowledge. This should be one of the prices to pay for these terrible crimes.
Surely with a photo, description, DOB & current location, there could be no mistake.
I dont believe for one second that coincidence can place two people with the same name, DOB & general appearance in the same localised area, ie road or block of flats.
These people should not be allowed to slip through the net...I know it happens, but controls should be put in place so that it in future it can't.
The laws should be far stricter concerning child abuse of any sort, sex offenders & paedophiles.
Obviously I'm not just talking about male sex offenders, as some of the worst in history have been women, just a very much smaller number.
These people, who in lots of cases hate what they've done but know they'll go on to do it again, need to be protected from themselves, with whatever methods work best.
Thats the only way to make our children safe.
Just wish I had the answer....Maybe subcutaneous ID tagging would work, with regular checking on tags remaining in place etc...All costs money, but money well spent .
If they go AWOL, their photos & descriptions should be printed on milk cartons etc., like they do for missing & lost children in the USA. & Canada.
A scheme that should be adopted here, Ive always thought, as well as finger printing or tissue typing for children....I know it's very big brother, but surely if it helps protect our children, its a sacrifice in liberty worth making.
While subcutaneous tagging, if thats the correct term, may sound a bit drastic, its apparently painless, & I'm sure if I was one of these sick, child abusers etc., (who wasnt a totally lost cause, & should be restrained indefinitely), I'd welcome all the help I could get to control my perversion.
Let some of the white collar criminals go home & pay for their crimes in other ways, to make room (if this is an issue) for the REAL criminals in our society to be incarcerated.
Re yr comment about 'innocent blokes' Shopoholic, I know exactly what u mean...
I have two sons, now grown up (Ssssshhhhh....!) and used to worry about how easy it would be for a spurned girlfriend to cry 'Rape' in a fit of pique.
Then worry myself sick if my teenage daughter was late home, in case she'd been a victim of rape, date or otherwise...
Then feeling a little relieved when they were grown up physically, knowing they at least had a fighting chance against attack, rape , abduction etc..
Being a mother is tough...Learning how best to protect your children, without falling victim to paranoia, yet allowing them the freedom they need to develop & enjoy their lives.
You have a few almost worry-free years, but then your children have children & the cycle begins all over again!
But its all part of life, which can be very tough indeed for some.
Sorry...I digress!!!
Soapbox now away.
Have a nice day everyone!
 *Sedusme*
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2008 1:45:37 PM
I understand what yr saying, Shopoholic, but to be honest, what's a bit of spray paint, and some hurled insults if hundreds, if not thousands, of childrens health, sanity & lives are saved?
I know I'd face a mob for that....
The good & bad have to be seriously considered...
And not blind judgements made on a few isolated cases blown out of proportion by the media.
I dont know nearly enough about the subject, but do know that peer pressure is one of the biggest stimuli there is in modern society...
If people know they wont remain anonymous after committing serious crimes of this nature, surely the statistics will drop dramatically....Only the seriously mentally disturbed carrying on with these crimes....The ones who need heavy restrictions put on their lives.
Or we could always bring back the village stocks!!!!!!!
Anyway, as I stated above, I really dont know that much about the subject, especially various laws, so am not exactly qualified to comment....Just writing my thoughts down off the top of my head.
Hoping something useful, somewhere may be triggered.
As Chairman Mao said, (or was he quoting Confucious? !)
'A journey of one thousand miles, begins with one step'.

We just have to make sure its a step in the right direction.
Goodnight.
 Ceiligirl23
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Wisconsin already has a registry and it's a good thing...
Posted: 12/31/2009 8:46:19 AM
In my state, Wisconsin, we have a sex offenders' registry. It's computerized and accessible to the public. It's not perfect. Yes, there are those who don't keep their addresses current. Yes, there are those who were prosecuted because having turned 18 or 19 they ticked of their younger girlfriend's dad or whatever (I disagree that that type of youthful indescretion is equivalent to rape of a minor, and I *was* a child who was raped at 10 years old by a teenager, so don't try to run me up a flagpole here). (P.S. if you have suffered similar trauma, do seek help and look for someone who is knowledgeable about PTSD and light therapy (google it).)

I think it is the best thing to do in an imperfect world. Anyone with small children especially - why would you NOT want to know?

And as far as all the "What if's" - you have apparently lived an untouched life or have your head in the sand or are an offender. No one with half a brain would argue against something like this.

And frankly, I don't see any problem in ANYONE having access to this data. I was an electrician's helper once upon a time. A coworker creeped me out continually. Turned out he was listed as a sexual offender. If I were the owner of a small company, like my boss (the electrician), and I was sending my workers into peoples' homes, wouldn't I need to know as much as possible about my employees, for the protection of my customers and for my own legal liability for their safety?

It is not a perfect system. There is no perfect system. But pedophiles (sorry, American spelling - but I do spell grey properly!) and their ilk are PREDATORS and the best way to stay safe from them is to steer clear of them. But if you don't know who they are, how can you do that except by finding out the hard way? So I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Skewer me if you'd like, this is one thing I'm not afraid to stand up for.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >