Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 the7851
Msg: 127
Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone?Page 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
yes i think the same way and wounder if i will ever find the one 2 but you cant gave up hope ok . because you have to try not to think that way because it will only get you down . good luck ok
 xtratommy1952
Msg: 130
Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone?
Posted: 1/18/2009 6:06:04 PM
I don't worry about it.I worry more about growing old.My choice is to spend my years with someone
 JediLady
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2009 10:23:05 PM
When my ex first left me, I worried about that a lot. I'd always pictured us growing old together, traveling the world in our golden years.

I realize now that it'll be cheaper to go alone or with a friend who pays for themselves ;) Do I *want* to grow old alone? No. Am I afraid of it now? Not at all.
 Polarbear656
Msg: 133
Posted: 1/27/2009 7:34:24 PM

Unlike a lot of people on here, I am absolutely afraid of growing old alone...I'm a romantic and I live for love BUT I will not just settle for anyone because of that, oh no, I need that spark, continuous laughter, butterflies in my tummy kind of love. And some people don't need that because they just love being in love so they take whatever they can get but then later down the road they will realize that is not enough and they are not happy...oh well, too bad for them.

So although I'm afraid of aging alone I will not settle for second best even if that means I am alone til the day I die.

Hey you have your beliefs and there's nothing wrong with that. No one should ever have to settle, nothing wrong with going for what makes you happy.
 sara_nikki2406
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2009 11:40:20 PM
I don't. I would love to find that special person, but the more one searches...the more unlikely it will happen. I am a secure and independent woman. I enjoy being single...for now at least. I've been single for three years now. I know everything happens for a reason. When things in life are suppose to happen...it will happen in due time. My friends and family tease me and say I will be the old woman who lives alone except with 30 cats. LMAO. So many people are afraid to be single that they rush from one relationship to the next. I refuse to do that.
 sammylg
Msg: 138
Posted: 1/30/2009 5:18:45 AM
"I've been single for three years now."

Huh? How does that happen to a grrrl like u?
 sara_nikki2406
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2009 8:46:03 PM
Sammylg: Thanks! It's actually by choice. I haven't "found" that person yet. I've spent those years focusing on my children. A divorce is hard enough on them, and I felt they deserved my full attention. I also focused on my career. I didn't (and still don't) have much spare time to date. Some people don't understand or like that...which I completely understand.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 10:35:23 PM
Hi Michaela,

Yes, some worry about growing old alone.

But this is only as a result of personal choice. You can choose a life well lived with a circle of true friends (not just fair weather ones) and a true loving family.

Some set themselves up for the life of retirement home living where they pay total strangers to wipe their bottoms. They have unconsciously chosen a life of isolation by being by themselves. They are unfriendly and always view others with suspicion.

But why let that happen at all? If you lavish your love on your friends, neighbors and family, you will never grow alone. I know people who are fabulously wealthy, but when they have parties, they only have a dozen or so people attend. On the other hand, I know people who live in small homes, struggle with daily life but when they have parties, their guests spill into the streets and their parked cars line up both sides for blocks.

So it makes sense to be generous to people now while you are young instead of being forced to hire strangers later on to take care of you.
It's really as simple as that. The more open you are, the more you won't be alone.

The only thing a fat Merryl Lynch retirement account can get you in your old age is a hired nurse or an orderly. They are not your friends and once your money stops, they stop caring.

I know many people who had money during their lifetimes but have been generous with the people around them. When they retired, even though they retired penniless, they had the warmth and support of hundreds of people in their lives. I speak from experience and I know how a true, tightly knit community works.
This is the only investment that makes any sense to me.

Be kind and generous to everyone and you will not have to worry about growing old alone.
 minako79
Msg: 146
Posted: 6/12/2009 6:29:39 PM

Nobody knows what their future holds..so no point worrying about it.
So true, there's enough things to worry about in life.. And you know what, I have accepted the fact if I'm going to get married and have family so be it. If not, I'm happy to be alone for the rest of my life - take up nursing and go on missionary trips abroad and make my life more fulfilling. Funny, I was thinking of becoming a catholic nun but that's something I wasn't called for in this lifetime.
 zephyrmoon
Msg: 147
Posted: 6/12/2009 6:33:13 PM
I do worry about it, sometimes, sure. You never know what's going to happen, what twists and turns your life may take, what curve balls Fate may lob your way.

Most people probably don't spend as much time as I do worrying about ending up in a cardboard box in an alley, surrounded by feral cats, though. That could be more my fear of financial instability, though.

But this is only as a result of personal choice. You can choose a life well lived with a circle of true friends (not just fair weather ones) and a true loving family.

"Personal choice" doesn't have anything to do with your family members wiped out by a drunken driver or your friends dying of cancer. I wish I lived in your happy little hearts-and-flowers world.
 Rob_SA
Msg: 148
Posted: 6/13/2009 10:44:11 PM
I don't especially want to grow old alone, but I do accept that the chance of me finding a new partner isn't good, so my plan is to enjoy the company of friends and family and try to make a contribution there. When I was a kid my Dad spent most of his time immersed in seeking financial wealth. When I was a kid my Godfather, who was my Dad's best mate, became something of a mentor to me. I remember him as being the one who made the wise and memorable comments. I now have a perfect little grand-daughter, and my hope is that I can be a cool and wise influence on her life in the years that I have left, so my focus has changed.

As much as we all want to be loved, we have to have something to offer that makes us lovable first. I'm working on that. ;-)
 StevieCashmere
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2009 1:15:50 AM
I hope not! I avoid repsonding to people who are 'desperate' not to be alone - they seem to can't live with themsleves or engage life with a pinch of confidence
~sc~
 Blue sky lover
Msg: 150
Posted: 6/14/2009 9:57:30 PM
I do from time to time but here is some help i hope. Be happy wi8th who you are first and enjoy everything about being single. Right now i am very happy being single and have been so for a while by choice . I have been asked out and had a few dates but i want to make sure i find the right person vs the right Now person. Go out and enjoy everyday as it is a amazing blessing considering how well we live, to have food , water ,a place to live, internet lol. while so many people would do anything just to eat i try to never feel bad about being single when i have so many blessings in life. Live life just be . ! Peace and happiness to you as well.
 TallNiceGuy26
Msg: 151
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:35:19 PM
Scared to death of growing old alone / dieing alone / being alone period.
 shake_things_up
Msg: 152
Posted: 6/16/2009 10:30:43 AM
I already know that's probably the future for me ... as long as my friends don't leave me... hahah
 REDRAIN44
Msg: 156
Posted: 7/20/2009 3:03:21 AM
Awe HELL we try to find somone to spend the rest of our lives with,but require the stuff thats only found in fairy tails. Nobody wants to take any chances. people will jump off bridges,airplanes,biuldings. but when it comes to going through some rough times to make a relationship what it is in reality everyone want the fairy tail thats why you see some of them on this site for years, Shit when I die through my lonley ass out in the desert and let the buzzerds eat me. Im not scared to die alone, im scared to be alive alone. IM as ugly as the buzzerds that are going to eat me but when somone comes along that has a little guts and at least wants to try to avoid dieing alone, dosent matter what they have, how smart they are, how rich thet are , if they smoke, if they are willing to give LOVE a try im willing to jump!
 carolann0308
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2009 7:41:04 AM
I do not worry about it all the time. But after two long term relationships in my life I realize that I cannot make another person value my commitment or my feelings.
 Viperess
Msg: 159
Posted: 7/20/2009 9:16:17 AM
I just figure by the time I am a dead ringer for Yoda I will be living with about 500 cats who will be pissing all over my house, so TECHNICALLY I won't be alone. However, my mailbox will have the name CAT PISS LADY on it, so I am not sure how much human contact I will get. All in all, I do believe that I will meet the right person at the right time and the rest will remedy itself.
 mascot1
Msg: 162
Posted: 7/20/2009 9:27:34 PM
I worry about not being able to find someone like me or with all the qualities I want in a man, or be able to fit all his criteria, seems almost impossible. I don't worry about it as much as I will 10 years from now (I better find someone before that!!)

Otherwise, I'm sure I'll have just as much fun being here with all the fellow plentyoffishers that I enjoy reading their posts and will miss them if they leave! we all have a few, come on!!!
 kpooks
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2009 2:48:48 PM
I'm already growing oldER alone, and, yes--I fear the inevitable...that I'll die alone and no one will care until they notice the stink of my corpse ripening up the place after two weeks lol.

But I have family and friends, so I'm not THAT alone. While it'd be nice to be intimate with someone, friendship and family are more important. Trick is welcoming someone into my family who I can also explore sexual desires and fantasies with lol. Someone to bring home to Mom & Dad who's also a vixen in the sack...THAT's the trick.
 minako79
Msg: 170
Posted: 8/17/2009 7:52:06 AM
just like everyone else, i do worry... but there are other things in life, i should be focusing on...

heck if it happens, then yeah, i'll be willing to pursue a missionary work instead. :) I could meet more people this way.
 Vincent_1984
Msg: 171
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2009 12:49:46 PM
Yes, I have worried about this every single day for the past five years now. That doesn't mean that I am just looking to grab the first person that comes along, I am really looking for someone that is right for me, but it is something that I constantly think about.
 jsphn11
Msg: 172
Posted: 8/17/2009 1:47:52 PM
I don't anymore. The way the dating process goes for me that’s kind of a real possibility, and I’ve already adjusted to this idea.
 hyoid
Msg: 173
Posted: 8/17/2009 1:55:40 PM
I don't, mostly because my genetic heritage predicts I'll achieve "deadness" before I achieve "oldness".
 LOVESTRUCK_wannabe
Msg: 174
Posted: 8/17/2009 3:11:45 PM
Women tend to outlive men so I expect that I probably will grow old alone regardless of whether I spend time with someone in between now and my final days.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >