Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What defines a straight mans view of homosexuals?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 26
What defines a straight mans view of homosexuals?Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

Still, the result, as near as I can tell, is that I certainly have absolutely no sexual attraction to other males. So I won't deny that there is a cultural bias at work on a global scale, I can definitely say that for me, there's no dilemna. If people say it's alright for others to be homosexuals, I can't disagree with that. I won't be brow-beaten into accepting it as a potential lifestyle for myself though , nor will I apologize for my own inate revulsion to the idea of being homosexual myself.

This is my position also. I accept people are all different in this world, that's cool, but I am happily heterosexual.
 Thunderstruck29
Msg: 27
view profile
History
What defines a straight mans view of homosexuals?
Posted: 1/15/2010 6:10:14 AM
The reason Appalachian Hillbilly Religion has a problem with homosexuality is becuase most followers of that malarky have never read the Bible, don't know anything about history and tend to beleive what helmet haired polyster clad charlatans tell them to think.....

The reality is that Jesus lived at a time when the Romans ruled the world....and the Romans were notoriously gay.
Yet nowhere in Matthew, Mark, Luke or John does Jesus say anything about gay people one way or the other.

Jesus does talk about tolerance though. There are two different parables about Samaritans, for example.
Most people only know about the one as they have never read the Bible.

As for the fundamentalists that holler "Well, the Bible says this" I have to point out the same book of the same Bible also says you can't eat pork. Yet I don't see these people dropping the Bacon Double Cheeseburger from their Diet.

And Jesus says to follow him you have to sell everything you have and give it to the poor, not once but twice.
Other than Mother Theresa, honestly, how many alleged Christians do you know who have done that?
Fundamentalists like to abuse scriptures to pick and choose what they want to obey and usualy ignore anything and everything said by Jesus.
Most of them don't even know the Christian Religion was only organized some 300 years after the crucifixion by the Roman Government. And the Roman Government did not organize it for the benefit of Christ or His follower, but to benefit themselves.
Organized religion is a form of political control and has nothing to do with faith or spirituality.
Next time some Wolf in Polyester Clothing is abusing religion to preach hate, you need to remember what Jesus told His followers about such individuals.
 Thunderstruck29
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2010 6:11:50 AM
Something else for heterosexual guys to keep in mind....

Gay dudes will never marry our mothers, sleep with our daughters or run away with our wives and get them pregnant.
Plus, the more gay dudes there are, that just means more chicks left over for me.
 want to travel
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2010 1:01:18 PM
we can all agree that western civilization is based in ancient greece, same sex love was a way of life for these people,and is found to be perfectly normal in all parts and cultures on earth, the only religions to not tolerate it is the jedeo-christian religions, but real persecution of gay people did not start until the reformation, it should be noted that women lost there status as persons,slavery, and ultra nationalism, got its start as well, america which dominates most of western thinking was built on protestant ... so called values, sofor the first time in human history homosexuality was and is considered deviant
 insert user name
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/15/2010 4:58:40 PM
If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that the religious/moral influences on humanity has had a major influence regarding an individuals approach to homosexuality. In western religions, sex is pretty much taboo. Even heterosexual interactions are considered "unclean" and "disgusting", so when something completely self serving in a sexual sense comes along, it MUST be down right immoral and wrong. The same thing can be said about sex toys.

In addition to this, straight guys have to deal with the concept of unwanted sexual advances. I am not saying that a gay man will come on to any straight man, but inside the straight mans mind it is a possibility and it is an unwanted advance. So he prepares a defense against it. The straight man might say that "whatever floats your boat" in terms of sex is the persons own prerogative, and honestly mean it, however this doesn't mean he will be comfortable with a gay man making advances on him.
 marmagna
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/15/2010 9:32:18 PM
There is quite abit of research on homosexuality in human males. That proves a predisposition for homosexuality, however, not definitively. It's actually the mother's own immune system that causes this predisposition in MALES. I can go over the details and the research that went into this if you'd like but I prefer to keep it short. It is hardly unnatural for an immune system to want to keep foreign "substances" from invading the body. In this case it would be the male hormones. As a mother is incubating a male, those male hormones do cross over the placenta. As you can well imagine male hormones being present in a female body is quite abit of a disruption to her body. So her own immune system creates antibodies to counter said hormones. Which then cross over through the placenta to the male child.

As a matter of fact homosexuality has been observed in many species not just Homo sapien sapien. From birds, other mammals, cetaceans (whales and the like), and the list goes on. I would argue in this case that it is not unnatural, rather, a natural occurrence.
 marmagna
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/15/2010 9:40:32 PM
But this issue at hand is not that of a biological rather a social nature. The truth is the more educated an individual is the more tolerant they are of homosexuality.
 Verzen
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/15/2010 10:28:15 PM
Yes yes, we know. Rococo is against education of any sort. Same with the majority of Christians out there.
 Island home
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/15/2010 10:34:39 PM

A-hem, educated or er, ummm... indoctrinated?

Educated ideally has all sides

Indoctrinated has only some of the points of view available
 Island home
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/16/2010 7:42:47 PM
mmmmm
Does the majority always fear the minority becoming the majority????????

mmmmm
Are the girls any less so inclined???????
 stargazer1000
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/16/2010 9:00:17 PM
Rococco's word of the day: narcissism. Very good. Gold star for you.

So gay people who make up an exceedingly small percentage of the population are given the same rights to marriage, inheritance, adoption as everyone else and...what? Get over it already. You're not going to see armies of the gay walking down the streets, forcing people to be gay.

If you're straight, you're straight. Good for you. If you're gay, good for you too. Who cares. If it weren't for the self-righteous indignation of the religious right, this wouldn't even be an "issue."
 stargazer1000
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/16/2010 9:24:37 PM
"Strait" men? Are these men who live on a narrow navigable body of water between two larger navigable bodies of water? Or do you mean straight men?

Ah, rococco...speaking as a straight man, I could care less whether gays want to marry or not. Of course, of the attempts at emotional pleas, deception and propaganda and indoctrination, none have been better than the Christian anti-everything not them.

my answer is that respect for nature's reproductive brilliance defines (or strongly influences) a strait man's view of homosexuals (consciously or unconsciously).

No, I think that's being used conveniently as an excuse for narrow-minded bigotry. So yeah, I repeat: get over it.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/16/2010 9:36:38 PM

Resort to spelling error to validate your premise.

No, just trying to be helpful. I happen to believe that poor spelling diminishes one's credibility.

Nature will never validate homosexuals building families. So, its actually a battle between being gay and nature and the laws it inspires

And what laws does "nature" inspire? After all, for the longest time, environmental protection laws were heavily resisted for the benefit of business and progress. As for gays...well, since there is every indication that this is as "natural" as any other aspect of the human condition, then what are you talking about? Or are you presupposing that you are speaking for Nature or "God" now?

It's amazing how, despite admonitions to the contrary, conservative "Christians" like yourself seem to feel free to speak for God.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/16/2010 10:04:19 PM
Rococco, I have to say I'm impressed...and I thought I'd seen hyperbole and rhetorical tripe before. Not to mention xenophobia and paranoia. But wow! Good job. You've reached a new low.

Let's tackle first the original premise. Again, speaking as a straight man, I don't really care one way or another what motivates homosexuals. The actions of consenting adults is, quite frankly, none of my business. As a wise leader of ours once stated, the state has no place in the bedrooms of the people.

But since you brought it up...

So, undo, marriage, undo family...by way of lawmaking.

Really? So this is the biggest threat to "the family?" How about the over 50 per cent divorce rate? If you can give me one concrete and provable example of the way gay marriage threatens the "traditional" marriage - especially since gays only represent less than 5 per cent of the overall population - well then, I may actually have some respect for you.

We are the leader of the free world.

Not too high on ourselves now, are we. Well, you certainly led the world into one of the worst recessions ever. Good job. Way to go. Why? Lax financial laws.

Now, if you hate America so much that you wish for its demise, then keep on battling from Canada to hurt us.

Almost goes without saying.

This is their choice, and they are not to answer to anyone but God for this.

And what will "Christian" fundamentalists and their quick-to-judge, easy-to-condemn attitudes have to answer for? You see, I put "Christian" in quotes because, if you actually ever read the important parts of the bible, then you might actually understand that condemnation and bigotry aren't yours to have. Better hope the atheists are right.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/16/2010 10:08:40 PM

Your indoctrination (programming) consists of fancy new vocabulary words to justify your attack against any sense of natural order in the world. This will bring about chaos and a loss of freedom. Take my warning or leave it--but at least you have some food for thought to better understand what this fight is really all about.

So then, your answer is "no" to my challenge. You don't actually have any concrete and provable examples to offer.

Didn't think so.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/17/2010 2:19:37 PM

BTW, you still haven't answered my question.

Nor will she. The (religious) indoctrinated never do.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/17/2010 6:02:52 PM
Seriously rococco, what is the issue here, really? Without the same old tired rhetoric, just what real threat do gay people getting married really pose to concept of marriage?

The issue is not about who people have sex with. It's about who they form a long-term, consensual and conjugal relationship with. We have no problem giving rights, including the right to spousal benefits, inheritance, etc., to man/woman couples either married or 'common law.' Why should same-sex couples really be any different?

You're too focused on the bedroom. But that's only one room in the house.
 Super_Eve
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/17/2010 6:08:42 PM

--mom and dad will always make baby--the existence of orphans has nothing to do with natural laws related to marriage and family

So, define marriage...leaving out gender. I dare you.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/17/2010 6:29:14 PM

The issue? A structural collapse of my beloved country.

And yet, you have still not offered any concrete examples of just how this "collapse" is initiated or how, indeed, anything about your "beloved country" is threatened by allowing less than 5 per cent of the population the same rights as shared by the other 95 per cent.

Sexual identity starts and ends in the bedroom

Oh, so you've never kissed a lover on the cheek in public or held their hand or hugged them, etc.? I certainly don't see these expressions of affection among gay people in public often.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/17/2010 6:41:46 PM
Which totally avoided the question, rococco, which is how yours or any democracy is threatened by giving gays the right to marry. So can you actually answer that one, now?
 Super_Eve
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/17/2010 6:46:12 PM
First, define marriage...leaving out gender. Because, that is the core issue...
 Super_Eve
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/17/2010 7:09:41 PM
Roll your eyes, all you want to...

Avoid the question, all you want to...

It still.

Doesn't.

Make you.

Right.

Can't do it, can you?
 Super_Eve
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/17/2010 7:27:14 PM
Roco...

Still.

Can't.

Do it.

Can you.

You all have been indoctrinated into a communist mentality, buying into with a dose of honey, mmm...tastes good, sounds fair...but you either don't realize where this road goes or you do not care. However, I will not have reality dictated to me by any government--state or federal.

The bold, will reveal, the heart of a true anarchist!

Tell me about, how marriage law should work, again?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/17/2010 7:30:35 PM
To get back to the OP:

<div class="quote">My question is, which one of these is the automatic response and which is the learned response?

In the two 'cases,' the OP refers to 'men.' But, by the time we reach adulthood, we already have our cultural "norms" and biases in place. That includes religious views, societal views, world views, etc.

I'm personally of the view that children are generally tabula rasa when it comes to societal "norms." They learn from their parents, whether it is social acceptance or bigotry. Of course, a reversal of views can occur. Bigots can become more accepting of difference and the accepting can become bigoted.

It's about life experience.

Now, before someone jumps on it, some things are "hardwired." Sexuality, for instance, is hardwired. IMO, it results from the development of the brain, as evidenced by the cases of male children who received a genital injury and so were raised as "girls." However, many experienced serious emotional problems through puberty as they began to feel that something was "wrong."

A case in point: http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/reimer/

Edit: To respond to this:

You all have been indoctrinated into a communist mentality, buying into with a dose of honey, mmm.

Wow! I thought this anti-communism nonsense died with the cold war.

Your answers are non-answers rococco. The only one who seems to miss that point is you. Oh well.
 Super_Eve
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/17/2010 7:33:30 PM
My idea of a "fair" law, is contained, in your idea of a, "no law"!

Get it?

Now, by all means backpedal, and explain to us, why we need laws...

Laws should not contradict nature--essential human nature--and what brings about a healthy and comfortable common community. The gay rights movement is selfish and narcissistic. They are civil rights parasites.

Par-asites? Now who is par-roting now? Either, cite your source, or provide experiential evidence to support your claim...and let it be up to par...
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What defines a straight mans view of homosexuals?