Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Le0
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Would you reject someone because of something in their profile?Page 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Yes, and here's just one example (first couple of lines in "About me" from a profile):

"I am a devoted Christian living my life for God. He has blessed me with each and every day and I am grateful to call Him my Father, my friend, and my Savior."

A bit much, no?
 Bettina88
Msg: 53
Would you reject someone because of something in their profile?
Posted: 9/25/2008 4:00:23 PM
NOT just one or two things on their profile, but the profile over all. I check their pic, if there is no pic on man's profile I go no further. Some have very little on theirs. I am afraid if the pic and profile DO NOT appeal, well that's it! I avoid any hint of possessiveness.In any case I will not date a man on a Date- line, I only chat. Which is just as well, because it does not take long to discover that some have not read or understood my profile and so many are very possessive, egotistical and I AM NOT MEANT FOR THEM
 Race25
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2008 5:44:45 AM
Wine gives me a headache too! My profile lists me a nondrinker and nonsmoker but you would be surprised at the number of people that want to meet in a bar.
 FierceAndGenerous
Msg: 60
Posted: 9/29/2008 11:08:53 AM
This is to the 'whoever' who answered Pagan...if you and your christian family even began to understand Paganism you'd realize how absolutely ridiculous that answer is, unless you do understand paganism and just let your family's misunderstandings rule your world..

How can understanding the energy and love within all things: elements, trees, your head, be EVIL!!!!!
 rdcnorm
Msg: 63
Posted: 9/29/2008 1:59:56 PM
Interesting question,, I wrote my profile so I would be rejected by the mass of women,, for the one who contacts me surely might be the right one,, sure saves on writing no thank you s.. with that idea,, its save me from weeding them out,, because most have already done that by reading my profile,, the power of rejection is on my side,,
 BlondePrincess04
Msg: 65
Posted: 9/29/2008 2:50:54 PM
I would not personally reject somebody who said they enjoyed people drinking a glass of wine. The greater question is, would people reject a person who drank socially consuming different types of alcohol (in a social setting, not an alcoholic) such as wine, beer, tequila, etc. Or would people reject a person who just enjoyed wine. I can understand people rejecting those who choose to drink, or not drink. To me it is the equivalent of rejecting people who choose to smoke. On the other question, I would not see a reason who chose to drink wine. I see no point in it, why reject somebody who has a distinct alcohol preference, but not reject people who choose different quantities of alcohol?
 *buzz*
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2008 1:52:34 AM

The profile is all we have to go on here.

I agree and the photos - if any - is another part of PoF package. Actually, forums' posts give some considerable inkling too
But I wanted to point out at pics. Sadly, just recently I rejected someone because of one distasteful pic of his modest selection of pics where the only body part was as if "for crying out loud" effect. Call it 'tongue in cheek' act, well "different strokes for different folks"
 4UMaybe
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2008 8:32:48 AM
I avoid the profiles that say Love the outdoors....I like being outdoors and love the beach or being on a boat but if love the outdoors means camping, hiking for days then I am not the woman for you...

Now if you mean the great outdoors with the grill going and having drinks in the backyard then I am right there with you!!

catman50
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/8/2008 5:29:50 AM
The only thing that turns me off is if a woman smokes . My mother smokes and NOW , a guy who came ALOT to my kaorake shows . came last weekend . He has throat cancer . I asked "did you smoke ever ? " he said no . " I got it from being at karoake shows where others smoke " This guy was 250 now is 200 and losing weight . lost all his hair .
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2008 1:10:00 AM
Yes, with the most simple things being the "do you smoke / do drugs" fields. There are also various things that would indicate that a long-term relationship would never work even if you could date for a little while, and I wouldn't bother in that case either.
 mortalez
Msg: 74
Posted: 11/9/2008 3:46:30 AM
outside of being married or living too far away I'm cool.
 horses44
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2008 7:30:48 AM
Always remember, what may be your dream boyfriend/girlfriend would be another person's nightmare. But here are a few phrases that cause a gag reflex for me:

Walking on the beach....(need I say more)
Curling up on the couch and watching a movie....(see above)
If you are "real" looking for someone who is "real" send me a message....what the hell does that mean?
NASCAR and monster trucks...just a personal preference, I love independent and foreign films, which may cause a gag reflex for some guys
I like to make people laugh...you probably do...at you
Tired of the drama....Really? Then we would never get along, I am looking for someone running from the law and involved in the sale of narcotics
Attractive inside and out...If you turned someone inside out it would be a little scary, kind of like a Halloween movie
Someone who is not flaky---again, another big problem for me, I really hope we meet and that your photos were taken 30 years ago when you could bend over and tie your shoes, that you blab on incessantly how you are an honest decent guy and that all women are whores, that you excuse yourself to use the restroom and do not come back, leaving me with a $50.00 restaurant tab, that would be sheer heaven for me...

I could come up with more, I guess my point is that these profiles are a b*(^h to write, and to try and stand out from the others can be tough, cause let's face it, we ALL want to meet someone to care about, and man oh man can that be elusive
 forforumfun
Msg: 76
Posted: 11/9/2008 2:32:32 PM
Like others have said, that's pretty much the point of a profile, so you can see if you're a match or not. I've rejected many in the past for horrendous grammar and spelling, which shows they are not educated to the extent that is right for me (I even see it a ton in titles of these threads). Also, it's just a pet peeve of mine too.
 WEK
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2008 6:23:26 PM
Hell yeah I would. If a woman is very overweight, I hit the reject button immediately.

I just met a female who had only head shots and said her body was average. Yeah, average for a sumo wrestler. I don't care if they are a little chubby, but 50 to 100 pounds just ain't gonna cut it........................
 bucsgirl
Msg: 79
Posted: 11/9/2008 6:32:03 PM

Isn't that what profiles are for? (?????)

Personally I'd say that response is...brilliant! Always has been for me, a "filtering" device.

Having reviewed far too many profiles....there are those that will date....well just anyone of the opposite sex. Or (probably more accurately) try to write a profile to convey that idea.

The word "rejection" is stark, harsh and negative. Noone seeks to or wants to be, yet it happens all the time. Why does it have to be called rejection, when following a logical extrapolation mixed in with a dose of reality, there will far more people that one wouldn't be a match with or compatible with then there would be those that are.

It's the delusion that any dating venue, online or not, is a smorgasboard of people of the opposite sex to just wade in on and an expectation that any person would be desirable to all of them.

Here's a pearl of wisdom from someone wanting to cash a reality check, every person that sparks an interest in you, it's not always or even often going to be mutual. Expect that, realize it's not rejection of you as a person, but as not a compatability for a partnership. There will be more "no's" than "yes's" and even getting a yes (response) doesn't mean that it will work out and be your dream man/woman.

Really now it would be scarier than heck to be the man/woman that every other man/woman on the face of the earth wants. As if...that man/woman doesn't exist, never has or never will. So if someone chooses that delusion, realize it's your own.
 forforumfun
Msg: 80
Posted: 11/9/2008 7:10:38 PM
Visions of "sugar baby's"? Sugar baby's what? Or do you mean "sugar babies". Ha! My annoyance at awful spelling and grammar means I couldn't resist pointing that out.
 Sweet J-me Baby
Msg: 82
Posted: 11/10/2008 6:52:05 AM
I definitely look at the content of a profile, look at what it written and not written. I find profiles with very little info can mean one of two things: they do not know what they want themselves or they are only here for fun and games.

I look for common interests and I have been contacted by men who I knew there was nothing in common and I chose not to pursue it. An example: My profile clearly shows that I am a huge sports enthusiast. I received an email from a man a while back who thought we would be a perfect match. I took a peek at his profile and did not understand how he would think that...there was not one bit that showed anything in common or anything that sparked any interest. After a few emails, he admitted he did not like sports at all and if I could explain to him the relevance of spectator sports. He truly did not see the hype in sports and I did not want to explain it to a 40-something year old male.

Rejecting over not liking wine, nah, I would not do that, but sports is a HUGE passion for me, so I let this guy know that things would not be progressing.
 barbee1970
Msg: 85
Posted: 5/19/2009 9:40:37 AM
Ok, sure why not? If someone is into drinking, drugs, gambling, not my style.

We want someone maybe with not the exact same, but similar interests. I would prefer a guy who doesn't drink.
 OutMind
Msg: 86
Posted: 5/19/2009 12:27:09 PM
Absolutely. Not about the drinking but about something in their profile. If I saw something I didn't like, no reason to go forward with. For instance, women who hid behind pictures of their dogs. Sorry, next.
 OutMind
Msg: 87
Posted: 8/4/2009 9:21:59 AM
Yes.

That would be the answer.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 88
Posted: 8/4/2009 9:48:15 AM
I agree with YorksLass - if they're separated and not divorced, that's pretty much a deal-breaker for me, as well.
 Jadd2767
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2009 5:17:32 PM
I agree if there was something that I am totally against I would....however.....most profiles I have read are remarkably similar, I'm a nice person, I like to...etc etc.....my feeling is you can only get a smidge off someones profile, I've dated people off of other sites and their profile and their actual personality weren't quite the same...I suppose sometimes how we see ourselves and how others see us might not totally jive, but I believe you can get a vibe (bad or good) from someones profile if they elaborate about themselves.....bottom line is you never really know someone until you sit down and have a conversation, and even then you still may not....just have to follow your instincts I would say......and its my belief that people look at the pics and read the profile, for me if its 1 outta 2 I won't contact that person...and if everyone was honest I'm sure the picture factor is a major element in this online dating thing..................
 startle
Msg: 94
Posted: 9/4/2009 7:57:48 AM
what someone writes says alot about what he will be like on a date...a guy who begins a profile with ...i like these outdoor things ..is too into his hobbies for a gf..also speaking of family can signal a man who is too wrapped up other things which are not bad but take up too much of a space in his heart to have room for you..if he discusses himself in relation to a female companion then he is truely looking and ready for love.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 95
Posted: 9/4/2009 12:27:22 PM
Of course we reject people because of what's in their profiles:

An atheist isn't going to date someone who references their Christian faith as central; who in turn isn't going to want to date a Wiccan; who isn't going to want to date a hunter; who isn't going to want to date a Vegan; who won't want to date.....
 whytwater
Msg: 96
Posted: 9/5/2009 5:26:01 AM
She can be beautiful and sound great until the mention of a Harley motorcycle. I've nothing to complain about the motorcycle itself. It's a fine piece of machinery.

Lol. I've had bikes off and on since college, and they're a kick. BUT-

Nascar. Or Jesus. If she's wearing those t-shirts, or shows them on her to-do list, I pass. I believe in informed choices, but this matching thing is difficult, and those two obstacles have just been insurmountable, ime. I could explain, but it'd be long. lol
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >