Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Only dating for attention, validation and free stuff?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lil_ladybug
Msg: 32
Only dating for attention, validation and free stuff?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Unfortunately, there are people who do date to get a free meal. I have heard some women say "I am not attracted him, but hey a free meal is a free meal!" There are also others who are online to get laid, or had nothing else better to do.

Myself, personally, my spare time is very precious and I would rather spend that little free time I do have with somebody I am interested in knowing rather then getting teh free meal out of it. Oh well, first dates for me are generally the coffee shop, book store types anyways and I buy my own coffee!! LOL
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Only dating for attention, validation and free stuff?
Posted: 9/27/2008 1:59:11 PM
I really don't think it's that common. I'm sure all those women who went out with you had at at least a small part of them hoping that things WOULD work out on dates and they would be thrilled to fall in love with a great guy. It's really not fun going on a bad date. It wouldn't be worth it for just dinner. If you're really serious, and want to avoid people who are just dating to have a good time, then just limit your search to women who put long term. There's still no guarantees that she'll want to see you again, of course. But by limiting your dates to those women, you'll know she's emotionally available and ready to go should it work out.

I think you're just hurt that more women aren't wanting to continue dating you, and it's easier to blame it on the women's attitude's rather than admitting they weren't interested in you once they met you. Dating is rough. But it's rough for both genders. Just in different ways.
 TheCreativeGuy
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2008 3:30:43 PM
I say relax and have a good time while you're out. As people have suggested, maybe spending less on the first outing may be a good idea if the prices matters.

I would take someone I just met to somewhere I would normally go, and let the chips fall where they may.

I also think it's better to leave the self-image at the door and go in with NO expectations. Life is so much better just enjoying the moment we are in. Sure, there are disappointments too as far as the heart and mind go, but the world still spins.

You can live to find your love another day, and without any worries, and you'll have less angst if you just enjoy the company you keep. There are so many fish in the sea, and you're sure to find one who really does want to be with you.
 novy 28
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2008 6:44:06 PM
I would have to say that you are offering them the world, so they are accepting it. I do not know what your 'date' consists of with these women, but for all of them telling you the same thing, maybe you think you need to praise them with expensive dinners and so forth. If you just be yourself and just tell them you want to go to the park or something with a prepared basket, you will get a different response. If they accept, they are interested in you. If they decline, you don't need them anyway.

Forget the dumb stuff, let some other jive turkey pick up the tab!
 CHAOTICBEAUTINESS
Msg: 36
Posted: 9/27/2008 7:04:29 PM
You sound exactly like the kind of man that only wants to find out about chemistry. Straight from email to come to my place to check out my set...chemistry set.

Is it working for you? I am guessing it isn't and that is why you are trying to put it off on women, sigh, that is another thread I read on here about men and women blaming each other.
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 37
Posted: 9/30/2008 8:54:00 PM

What is it with the large and growing number of women on dating sites who exist solely to go out on dates for attention, validation and "free stuff", but with no intention of actually having any interest or exploring chemistry?

I don't think this is happening only on dating sites.
I'm aware of it happening in REAL life as well.

I'd suggest men stop giving.
Until they find a woman worthy of receiving.
And vice versa.

Oh wow - and now I'll quote the Bible....

"Don't cast your pearls among the swine"

Take some message from that if you will, it's rare for me to make such a scriptural reference so possibly the sky is falling....

But the meaning should be the same.
If you give away the goods to some one undeserving, then you reap what you sow.

Oh.no!
More scripture.
I need to get some sleep.
 thegirliest
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/2/2008 7:00:22 AM
I don't believe you, I think you are stretching the truth when you say "dozens" of women. If that were so, ratios would dictate that some of my friends would feel that way and none of them/us do. You should just have a 'meeting' first and then a date if it seems in order. That might eliminate some of the junk.
 OutMind
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/2/2008 8:19:14 AM

100 emails a week and at least double that in profile views/winks is fairly common, and not a myth. This is why the women don't respond to emails or winks, because they're so inundated with them they just disregard most of them, unless someone is persistent or has all of the Tiffany qualities they're looking for.

From the women I have gone out with it was more like 100 a day. And the first day they had a profile up more than 500.
 INeed2FindU
Msg: 40
Free Stuff?`
Posted: 10/16/2008 11:05:00 PM
Testing...testing....Am I at the right place? I just have to add my two cents.

We are all products of the choices that we make.

Maybe I should change my PROFESSION from Self-Employed to CEO or CFO, Hell I'm both. Maybe I can get some FREE STUFF , this is just my opinion but maybe that is what he is looking for SOME FREE STUFF then got his ego smashed, when she said "NO" you're not really my type, but thanks for everything.
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/17/2008 7:13:17 PM
Um... We're ALL dating for attention. From the right person, anyway.

I dunno what a stranger can do to validate me in any way... nor do I really want stuff from strangers.

I'd really love to know how someone can know before meeting you that there'd be no chemistry.

I realize how attempting to make sure there's actual interest or the intention of it, at the least.. may come off sounding either paranoid or pathetic, but I think for guys, particularly... you should find a way to find out IF the interest is actually real as opposed to a ploy to get free meals, or whatever.

For every woman like me... who wants to find out if I'm a match to the guy I'm gonna meet (and him to me) for REAL... there's 2 or 3 who are just after a night out, free stuff, meals...
 GreenEyesGoldenLocks
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/19/2008 3:59:54 PM
so free stuff.. am wondering am I supposed to be taking the shampoo and soap if I stay the night? or is it like a conference where you get pens and chip clips with the logo on it. I personally havent been on any dates where there was any free stuff to take home.. wouldnt mind the attn and validation though.. oh I am sorry just cant take this one seriously.
 bobbycllhn
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/1/2016 5:24:12 PM
Women being women is all I see here.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2016 5:39:49 PM
I agree when there is a problem that is happening a lot, you need to look at yourself. You are the common denominator.
I find it hard to believe a woman would suffer through a free meal with a guy she had no real interest in. She would have be really bored or really broke. My guess is that you contacted really hot looking chicks and they are maybe online just to pass the time or play games. If you don't like it, then concentrate on real life meets. It is a free site and there are no guarantees.

You don't have to offer a meal on a first date after all. Just drinks and see how things go.
 gtomustang
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/1/2016 11:11:13 PM
based on posts here, i'd say a lady who takes a free meal from a creep, is learning a lesson she doesn't want to repeat, and from then on, doesn't let a restaurant date be the first date. she's sick of being stuck with a creep. HOWEVER, that said, she may find a guy she doesn't have a "real interest in" (ie, wants to sleep with), but hey, he's decent enough company, and well gosh, why not? I had a lady friend offer to take me to lunch today, and I know she's schtupping some guy once a week, and sometimes we run out of conversation and yet....I let her take me to lunch and talk about spending Christmas at Disneyworld.

It was a nice way to spend the afternoon, and I got a free meal out of it. Why say no, b/c I'm not going to get any "dessert" out of it ever? sometimes in life, you just get a platonic relationship. you have to be happy with the glass half full. sometimes in life, ya just don't get whatcha wa-aaant, and sometimes, Mick, you don't even get what you need. you just have some fun.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/1/2016 11:17:39 PM
Gtomustang,
Honestly, we live in one of the most affluent societies in the world. For those of us who have a job, buying a friend or a date something to eat/drink isn't a huge deal. Your friend felt like treating you to lunch - awesome. Treat her to the same another time. No, no dessert. :-) I sometimes pay for my friends when we go out, I'm sure you do the same. You shouldn't take her lunch offer as "she wants my body."
 ohenryx
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2016 5:16:01 PM

gtomustang
HOWEVER, that said, she may find a guy she doesn't have a "real interest in" (ie, wants to sleep with), but hey, he's decent enough company, and well gosh, why not?

I just posted this story in a different thread, but it bears repeating. This buying lunch business can get expensive!

Dating is expensive, I'll give you that. I had mid-day / afternoon date today.

Lunch at Pappadeux Seafood Kitchen (chain restaurant, sort of mid-scale like Olive Garden, which many here look down on).

$66 with tip.

Afternoon matinee at the movies, two tickets $18, and then $23 at snack bar. I always get a large popcorn and a bottled water and offer to share, but she wanted a bag of M&Ms and a Sprite.

Two drinks (one each) after the movie, $15 with tip.

$66 + 18 + 23 + 15 = $122, and I was at back at home by 5:30 p.m.

There's something wrong with this picture, I spent $122 on a date today, and I'm sitting at home alone on Saturday night. I may have to rethink this ...
 gtomustang
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/2/2016 7:24:24 PM
I hear ya, O, took a different friend to lunch b/c her cheap daughter is driving her nuts. Went to Chili's, the tab was $30 plus. no booze, no appetizer, which was good b/c we were pretty full. the waitress had a great ass but had a too-sunny disposition, kinda like a first grade teacher who talks to adults like she does children. We went to a consignment shop and she helped me pick out a few shirts/sweaters for winter now that its finally arrived. So, $80 for an afternoon, and we're both home alone and here online :)

"better ruck next time, Cholly", for both of us.
 LIWOMAN1952
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/3/2016 5:51:30 AM
We are suppose to get free stuff ? No one told me
 8inscrew
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/3/2016 8:36:10 AM
Pontiac, maybe she noticed you noticing the waitstaff's derriere.... which she undoubtedly noticed first anyway.

I don't see anything wrong with dating for these reasons. Just these reasons? Yuck.
Also, honesty is huge. Acting like things are more than they are is wrong.

Casual dating often becomes a competition between suitors.
What's wrong with that?

When I was dating, women often got me gifts or did things for me, took me on get a ways.
It was validating. The attention was nice. Flattering sometimes.
From rich Daddy's girls to more mature professional women... make no mistake.
Ladies are ruthless in their stalking of their pr... I mean competition for mates.

What I don't get, is showing an interest in a gal and making the effort of dinner, movies, ect...
then griping about how much you spent. When it's "my treat" I feel good about that.

I got stood up some years ago by a gorgeous blonde. Because she liked me too much..um?
But it was a very fancy place. I looked like an ass. So I said eff it, and had dinner anyways.
Full course meal.. beers while waiting, tapas, entrée, dessert, 2 bottles of wine, then I ordered for her.
And ate that too. After espresso the owner gave me the bill and a cigar.. along with a healthy discount.
It was still like $400 with tip. What a treat.

If you just want sex... tell her to come over in sweats for pizza and a movie.
And to pick a pizza and a movie on the way over...

If you want to get out on the town and show off your woman.. get clean, dress well, smell nice
and hit the atm. Don't begrudgingly part with your clams with the hopes of sex. That is dishonest.
Destined for disappointment, maybe?
 abc1129
Msg: 51
Posted: 1/3/2016 12:01:38 PM
Spend more time talking to them before going out on a date. If you feel there is no chemistry don't waste your time and money.
 gtomustang
Msg: 52
Posted: 1/3/2016 12:16:34 PM
well, insurance crew, she's a friend of 15+ yrs who prefers guys she can't have so she can win 'em over. Had she caught me checking out the waitstaff, she probably would have helped me try to get a date :) As for people who have what others want, and can get something out of that....why not? if they can live in that world, bully for them. not everyone dates to gain the same goal. For example, someone might want eyecandy, and it no longer costs a nickel.
 abc1129
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/3/2016 12:17:22 PM

what I'm saying is that there are just as many men who are looking for "free stuff" aka sex as there are women looking for free meals.

Well, sex is actually free as opposed to a meal at a restaurant.
 50ThousandAnd1
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/3/2016 12:46:49 PM
I'm not dating, but if I did you better bet I'd wanna clean up w/ all kinds of goodies until I met a man I fell in love with! Oh, that $20 lunch at a chain restaurant does not qualify a woman as a gold digger.

POF does not have men w/ gold, period!
 Anand_scientist
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/3/2016 1:26:02 PM

Spend more time talking to them before going out on a date. If you feel there is no chemistry don't waste your time and money.

I don't consider any of my dates a waste of time and money.
 Frank4575
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2016 1:53:10 PM
I would think you should be happy with so many responses,some of us don't get any.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Only dating for attention, validation and free stuff?