Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Seeing her name everywhere...Do you believe in signs?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OmyJ123
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Seeing her name everywhere...Do you believe in signs?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Lets suppose there is someone you are quite interested in, but for whatever reason you are hesitant about going for it. You don't believe you are obsessed with this person and there are times when you are not even thinking about her, but you keep on seeing or hearing her first name everywhere. Lets say her name is Josephine.

1. You happen to look up at the movie credits, as your leaving the theatre and see her name.

2. You find an interesting book of various writings and flipping through the table of contents, you see a chapter on loneliness written by a woman named Josephine.

3. Your talking to your buddy on the phone about her while you are playing poker online and someone named Josephine sits at the spot next to you.

4. You are watching TV and a character who happens to resemble that person is introduced as Josephine.

5. You get a phone call from a telemarketer who introduces herself as Josephine.

This kind of thing happens daily, almost twice a day for a month and you are perplexed as to why it is happening. This has happened to you before, with a different person. You go for it, and for a time have a wonderful relationship with that person who's name you kept on coming across.

Are these just odd coincidences or should you take it as a sign that you are meant to be with that person?
Any other thoughts?
Has this ever happened to you?
 SteveinHP
Msg: 2
Seeing her name everywhere...Do you believe in signs?
Posted: 9/21/2008 7:24:27 AM
Quick, go buy a lottery ticket while you are at it...

If you believe in fate and all that sure...I chalk it up to coincidence.
 ruckus123
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2008 7:42:41 AM
It worked in the movie Serendipity. He kept seeing/hearing her name everywhere. They got married at the end.
Posted: 9/21/2008 2:33:25 PM
Louis Pasteur said "Chance favors only the prepared mind."

Wiki - Apophenia is the experience of seeing patterns or connections in random or meaningless data. The term was coined in 1958 by Klaus Conrad, who defined it as the "unmotivated seeing of connections" accompanied by a "specific experience of an abnormal meaningfulness".

While observations of relevant work environments and human behaviors in these environments is a very important first step in coming to understand any new domain, this activity is in and of its self not sufficient to constitute scientific research. It is fraught with problems of subjective bias in the observer. We (like the experts we study) often see what we expect to see, we interpret the world through our own personal lens. Thus we are extraordinarily open to the trap of apophenia. — Klaus Conrad, A Cognitive Approach to Situation Awareness: Theory and Application

In statistics, apophenia would be classed as a Type I error (false positive, false alarm, caused by an excess in sensitivity). Apophenia is often used as an explanation of some paranormal and religious claims, and can also be used to explain the tendency of humans to believe pseudoscience. Apophenia may be linked to psychosis and creativity.

Conrad originally described this phenomenon in relation to the distortion of reality present in psychosis, but it has become more widely used to describe this tendency in healthy individuals without necessarily implying the presence of neurological or mental illness.
 Pokeysrevenge
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/21/2008 3:03:44 PM
When I was on my way to the dealership to get my car, I saw my car EVERYWHERE.

It's on your mind, your mind will notice it a lot more.
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/22/2008 7:05:06 AM
Personally I DO believe in signs.

I also think our subconscious CAN and WILL function to make us more aware of these things. Heightened awareness revealing your choice, before your brain knows your heart has made it.

Yes, it's happened in my life and yes, I have always listened to the leadings and followed.

And no, I have no regrets for having done so.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2008 7:43:57 AM
It could be a sign... of what you're thinking about. And perhaps that is an indication that we ought to follow that which has us occupied.

Ever notice the phenomenon of whenever you buy a car you suddenly see that exact model of car all over the place?
 thechefdnice
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/28/2008 3:43:48 PM
Its almost like it is reaffirming your inner most feelings. By nature we dont always believe or trust our instincts or feelings, so when you see the sign its like a relief , or an affermation of love. Very tingely in the stomach light in the head feeling you could say. Wow !! I have a very vivid imagination !
 Looking For......
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/28/2008 8:30:04 PM
i have to say i don't believe in coincidences much.
 kitkat855
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/2/2008 12:02:35 PM
Ahh I have often wondered this too.Carl Jung wrote a book about it.Sincronicity(sp).I can believe that you can see her name everywhere.That has happened to me with this one person.Very weird stuff.Seeing his name.Parking in an empty lot at the grocery store.And having his make model and colored car park right next to mine.I can remember running down the isle that night at the grocery store and seeing a new display for" Funtime Freddy snack cakes"You guessed thats his name.I go back a few nights later and that display is gone.I laugh come out of the store and his car is next to mine.Flipping channels and seeing his last name which isn't common on a town sign or a police car in a movie.I switched channels lol.I work in banking so I have had times where I add up a column of numbers and it's the first 3 digits of his phone number.Well this has happened all through dating this guy.10 years. He lived long distance was awful at calling.So no special time was planned to talk.He would go weeks without a call.These things would happen in a cluster.It would get funny it always happened I could put 50 bucks on a bet.This happened only 24 hours before a random call.I can agree that if your with someone alot maybe the name thing maybe see their kind of car.Maybe we are more aware of them somehow.But I too don't make theses events happen.I'm just minding my own biz.And it doesn't happen all the time as you might think if your dating someone.It only happens at random.Read this book called When God Winks on Love by Squire Rushnell.I believe in signs.
 kitkat855
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/2/2008 12:11:12 PM
Oh and the final coincidence.The author got married in his small upstate NY town.Very funny its at the end of this book that actually fell off the table at the book store and after putting it back 2x's and it fell again.I bought the book lol!!
 OutMind
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/2/2008 1:35:31 PM
Dude, there's a marketing name for what you are experiencing and it has nothing to do with serendipidy or fate or any other crap. It is called Cognitive Resonance. Yeap, big fvcking word. But that is what it is. It is the same principle that, let's say you buy a BMW, all of the sudden you see the car in movies, in the streets, everywhere, while before you didn't.
 LetusSee1
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2015 7:19:34 PM
Awww...how sweet. I came across this old post because I keep seeing Wayne everywhere....
Did you marry Josephine?
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/5/2015 7:50:20 PM

Do you believe in signs?

Yes.

My favorites are "Dangerous Curves Ahead" and "Slippery When Wet".

Not keen on "Dead End" and "No Outlet".
 dreamriding
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/5/2015 11:30:56 PM

No.

lol, personal branding is dangerous. lmfao.
Posted: 10/6/2015 4:03:42 AM
Long time ago, I worked at one of those jobs where everyone wears a nametag. Me and a female coworker conversated with each other a little bit. Then one day all of the females at the job started wearing nametags which had the name of this one coworker. It was an intentional conspiracy. That was crazy. And funny.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/6/2015 5:49:23 AM
Name tags. Out of boredom I filled in the Hello my name is
with Satan. Everyone called me Sateen for the day :)
 JoeBnD
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/6/2015 9:01:29 AM
My buddy wanted a stop sign for over his bed. I told him "no, yield."
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/6/2015 11:01:54 AM
In my early 20's I worked at a hospital just down the road.
My name pin was printed with my first initial and last name.
One day, one of the volunteer ladies, said as she pointed to my name.
"Oh how nice, you can't get lost. They have where you work, on your pin".
Glancing down I chuckled, "Actually that IS my name, but you are correct it is also where I work, and no I have not been lost yet"!
I see my name on signs often. Hmmm?
 chameleonf
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/6/2015 11:36:57 AM

This kind of thing happens daily, almost twice a day for a month and you are perplexed as to why it is happening. This has happened to you before, with a different person. You go for it, and for a time have a wonderful relationship with that person who's name you kept on coming across.

Are these just odd coincidences or should you take it as a sign that you are meant to be with that person?

lol...If it kept happening to the OP, maybe he should have taken it as a sign NOT to be with women who's names kept popping up, cuz he obviously wasn't meant to be with them - at least not as a forever item.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Seeing her name everywhere...Do you believe in signs?