Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 obeythepug
Msg: 12
view profile
History
vegan hell did I even spell it rightPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)

I don't eat any red meat,no dairy,no sugar(except what's naturally in fruits and veggies)no soy,no white flour,no white rice.What does that make me?I do eat eggs,seafood and chicken.No caffiene either!

I guess that would make you a guy who doesn't eat eat any red meat,no dairy,no sugar(except what's naturally in fruits and veggies)no soy,no white flour,no white rice and no caffeine.
 techgirl27
Msg: 15
view profile
History
vegan hell did I even spell it right
Posted: 12/27/2008 10:40:08 PM
Just have whoever is catering to have some vegan items available, and if there's a buffet, a little "vegan" sign in front of those ones. Its cheaper for them to make anyway, since no meat or animal products (eggs, gelatin, whatever).
 lorelei540
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/28/2008 4:44:13 AM

Vegans for example are not even allowed to eat jelly/jello as it contains gelatin which is an animal product.

Vegetarians don't eat gelatin either. And obeythepug is correct about fish --- vegetarians don't eat that either.

Vegetarian = no food made from dead animals.
Vegan = no animal products whatsoever, from animals living or dead.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2008 10:26:51 AM
Since the thread was put up in September, are they married already?

From the repost it sounds as if the bride and groom were planning to force their eating habits on others, and I don't think that is right just as it is probably difficult for people that are vegans to go to a reception that has not provided some non-meat selections or entrees for guests that do not eat meat.

If the wedding has not already happened, I would suggest what others have, the "normal" menu with vegan options for those that choose them. Also, the suggestion of having the favorite restaurant handle a portion of the catering is also good.

My kids stayed with a family for a month two years ago when I was too sick to take care of them. It was horrible, she was vegetarian and consequently there were few meal options that appealed to everyone and she did not know how to cook anything with meat in it. The upside was they couldn't wait to get home if for nothing else but the food.
 kbodley
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2008 10:30:19 AM
This is where you turn to your caterer for their input. To try to adhere to a vegan diet on a daily basis is somewhat challenging to learn to put together the correct combination of foods to insure that you get all of the amino acids, etc, in your diet necessary to stay healthy - but you don't have to worry about a daily adherence to a vegan diet - you only have to serve one reception.

If you have a caterer worth their salt they should be able to accommodate a vegan reception with no problem. There are numerous cake recipes that easily accommodate the vegan diet - they were actually very popular during WWII when egg, sugar, and butter were hard to come by! Or - possibly offer cupcakes on tiers - with some being vegan and the remainder of the tiers non-vegan!

Invite your daughter to explain to you why she has adopted this veganism, and remember that this is her day! It is an opportunity for you to extend your love in a very special way. You never know, in a couple years she may abandon this lifestyle and your willingness to accommodate her wishes will become part of the story of the day. Better it be a story of love and support rather than one of anger and regret!

One positive factor may be that vegans tend to avoid silks, satins, and expensive natural fabrics - cotton and linen are usually the fabrics of choice, which tend to be less expensive!
 packagedealx3
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2008 11:41:40 AM
^^^^^But he wants the dress to be expensive because his ex is paying for it.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2008 1:06:08 PM
Pisces, as usual, you don't know what the hell you are talking about. First of all, a wedding is for the bride and groom but it is a family/friends celebration which also means that you try to create an atmosphere that allows everyone to be comfortable. People that aren't vegetarian expect an entree that is either meat or chicken. I encounter few vegetarians in my daily life consequently most people do not think about it unless they are aware that guests need that special attention. Perhaps this thread can be illuminating to people that are throwing parties to also include in the RSVP if vegetarian food is required.

I was very grateful to the family for taking my children as were my children who never said one negative word while they were there but after watching me almost die in a coma, the lack of edible food made it more difficult for them to be separated from me for another month until I got the oxygen out of the house so they could return home.

When you are 7, 11 and 14 and almost lose your mother, the foods you find comforting would be, well, comforting. When my children were reminded that they should be thankful they had something to eat and people to take care of them they said that they were, and were also happy to be home. I felt sorry for them because it made the situation even more frustrating and it was particularly difficult for me because I am not usually helpless but they were not ungrateful for the time, attention and least of all money for food, gas, etc. that these people expended on them. Interesting how you twist honesty into something negative.

Some people can't cook with or without meat but I think most of us would rather have food that is palatable. My mother's food started tasting horrible when she started cooking for my father's heart condition; apparently she forgot that spices aren't chock full of cholesterol. I am sure that vegetarian dishes can be tasty if prepared properly.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/7/2011 5:58:47 PM
justadad01- Congrats on your daughter's wedding.
No need to pull out your hair, call a caterer and ask them to prepare vegan dishes and dishes for the non vegans attending. Put them on two different tables and make sure the guests know which table is vegan and which is not.
Then, sit back and enjoy your daughters wedding.
 ShadowschildA
Msg: 27
Posted: 12/9/2011 8:08:15 AM
slightly off topic here - I attended a wedding this year & the food was just awful, but nobody wanted to show it out of fear of insulting the PARENTS of the couple - because they are the ones paying for all this. So yeah - who really cares what the bride & groom eat???
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >