Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > The Myth of Los Angeles      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Itsascandal
Msg: 7
The Myth of Los AngelesPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Dear,

It's absolutely easier in less expensive areas (as long as you have a job). I know of people back in FL who are waitresses and bartenders and own thier own homes. It's a salary vs. cost of living comparison. You can live in Austin Texas and make $50k per year and afford a nice brand new home in the burbs. You can't beat that. I'm this close to shutting down my business and going home. If your not rich (or a spoiled heir at least) then what kind of future is there in LA, or So-Cal for that matter? How do you build an asset base for stabilty and furture retirement and build equity and wealth here given the sheer costs? And goodness forbid if you have kids. I mean what kind of environment are they going to grow up in here? It is just impossible .
 TheLimey
Msg: 8
view profile
History
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 9/27/2008 12:14:59 AM
The rich own everything in Los Angeles. According to statistics 65% of the population rents. The high taxes. The traffic tickets. The smog. The absence of nature. The COL index. I ask you. Why even live here?

You moved to the wrong part of LA. No smog here, most homes are owned, not rented, my property tax is $1400/year, more nature than I need & this part of the county has 50mph speed limits on most of the streets, a couple are even 60mph... 2 acre horse properties are about $150k right now...
More fool you for "living down the hill"
 horses44
Msg: 9
view profile
History
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 9/27/2008 7:39:59 AM
Scandal - I can't give both sides, as I was born here, and if there were circumstances I would leave, but they would drag me kicking and screaming to the border.....

This is a self absorbed city, as we know, this is where "dreams happen" becoming an oscar nominated actor/actress, a rock star, model......and we know where 99.9% of those dreams end up - circling the drain.

There are a lot of phoney people here, more than other cities? Probably - but frankly it is one of the things I love about it

I will re-interate what has been said here, culture, great food, museums, enough silicone to form a hazardous waste site.

And you do live in some pricey real estate, I lived in the valley for many years and LOVED it, now live in Glendora, cute town, but lacks sophistication - now I hope my neighbors don't start bashing me - it just a matter of taste. I would move back if I could afford it in a red hot second, but my income won't allow it.

Perhaps it has been mentioned, but you are a young gentleman, if you are living in West LA you could probably live in another city without the hassle and cost - and maybe it is something you should consider - you may move and say "Whew, glad to be out of that rat race" OR "When can I move back to that self absorbed city?"

Good luck to you
 Itsascandal
Msg: 10
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 9/27/2008 11:48:47 PM

You moved to the wrong part of LA. No smog here, most homes are owned, not rented, my property tax is $1400/year, more nature than I need & this part of the county has 50mph speed limits on most of the streets, a couple are even 60mph... 2 acre horse properties are about $150k right now...
More fool you for "living down the hill.

Where is this? How far is it from West Los Angeles ? Everything I saw east of the 405 was awful. It's so bad I will pay outrageous rent to live in West Los Angeles rather than live over there. And most people reading this know what I'm talking about.

Properties for 150k? WHERE ? Please name a specific town. Something less than a 2 hour drive on the 105 East?

TheLimey
Msg: 11
view profile
History
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 9/28/2008 7:08:56 PM
Where is this? How far is it from West Los Angeles ? Everything I saw east of the 405 was awful. It's so bad I will pay outrageous rent to live in West Los Angeles rather than live over there. And most people reading this know what I'm talking about.

Properties for 150k? WHERE ? Please name a specific town. Something less than a 2 hour drive on the 105 East?

Antelope Valley :)

& utility bills were mentioned:
No A/C here, I just run the swamp cooler 24/7 from March until Decemeber, That raises my electric bill from $60/month to $80.... gas bills average around $20/month

1 hour north of LAX...
 Itsascandal
Msg: 12
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 9/28/2008 8:24:21 PM

Antelope Valley :) & utility bills were mentioned: No A/C here, I just run the swamp cooler 24/7 from March until December, That raises my electric bill from $60/month to $80.... gas bills average around $20/month 1 hour north of LAX...

Wow Thanks. Never even heard of it. I'm checking the Real Estate listings on this area right now. Does the 1 hour include traffic? Or is it more like 2 hours with traffic?
 cosmopolitician
Msg: 13
view profile
History
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 9/30/2008 10:59:39 AM
I think in general people move out to SoCal for job opportunities, weather, the beach, the diversity.

We moved here ages ago, because my dad started a new job. So, yeah job opportunities & weather.

The myth that everyone here looks like they popped out of a fashion magazine doesn't help either, I mean what you forget is how many plastic surgeons are located in SoCal, LOL!

Especially here in Orange County there's a handful of reality shows now that portray the OC as being super glamorous, one big party, most of that is probably deserved & contributes to the appeal I would say.
 TheLimey
Msg: 14
view profile
History
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 9/30/2008 9:32:28 PM
I've noticed one thing about living in the only part of LA with NO smog:
When I'm down the hill I don't wear sunglasses because the amount of light filtered out by all the crap in the air makes them obsolete, up here I can barely walk to my mailbox without them....
I usually take them off when I get down to Santa Clarita...
 TheLimey
Msg: 15
view profile
History
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 10/1/2008 1:55:24 PM

This forum is depressing me. I just moved here and am thinking I made a big mistake. My profile is kind of based on the fact that I am really weirded out by Californians.

Don't judge California by what/who you see within 35-40 miles of the coast..
 cosmopolitician
Msg: 16
view profile
History
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 10/1/2008 3:04:07 PM

I live in Hollywood. Maybe I'll go a little more south

Well, to be honest, OC is the same way...at least where live, near Newport Beach it is. Huntington Beach is a nice area, and actually San Clemente is also pretty mellow. South OC in general is just as materialistic, with just as rude/fake people as Holloywood if not more. I think the reality shows help to drive that.
 TheLimey
Msg: 17
view profile
History
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 10/2/2008 10:53:05 PM
Homeless people have enough sense to stay away from this end of the county. In Winter they'd freeze to death & the Summer is so hot they wouldn't make it thru a day. We've had people die up here just walking a couple of miles from their broken down cars...
Can't say I've seen any graffiti around this part of town either .. or abandonded shopping carts..
& we don't have any problem with traffic, can drive across town in ajust a few minutes...

With that said, you couldn't pay me enough to move back down the hill ....
 TheLimey
Msg: 18
view profile
History
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 10/7/2008 10:51:49 PM
As far as owning property there I agree that you need to be very rich to live even close to the comfort that I have in England.

Thats only true if you absolutely MUST live within a few miles of the beach. The property I have at the Northern end of LA county would have cost about 5x what I paid for it if it was in the UK....

The funny part is that all those people who have to live close to the coast don't get anywhere near the amount of sunshine we get on this side of the mountains. I frequently leave home in blazing sunshine only to drive into fog & drizzle down the the hill.... & then drive back into the sunshine when I drive back up the hill. Last Saturday was a perfect example: Pissing down rain in the SFV, Blazing sunshine in the AV.. :) No Smog AND no Marine layer
 New*Tattoo
Msg: 19
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 10/8/2008 11:20:58 AM
Bein 35 years old & having been everywhere from Halifax, NS to Tierra Del Fuego, Redondo Beach is sincerely, my favorite place on the planet. Sure, I pay about 2k a month for rent, BUT, im less than 100 yards from the beach & for me atleast, there is no price tag for the inner peace that brings me. Redondo is just the ultimate, quiet lil surfbum town & its beautiful here.

As far as Hollywood goes...ehhh. I moved to West Hollywood when I was 17 & back then, West Holly / Sunset Strip ( Evrything from Vine St. & west) still had an identity & it was CRAZY. Back then, it was use your wildest imagination/ multiply by 10 & put a condom on it. THAT West Hollywood, is no more. Now, its a faceless, tourist trap & beyond lame. I Still head up there 2 check out some bands & hang at The Rainbow & The Viper Room, but, itll never be how it once was. Its a shame, coz, that 3/4 mile section of Sunset Strip was THE place to be.
 TheLimey
Msg: 20
view profile
History
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 10/8/2008 12:43:35 PM

I am just saying that after living all over the country and traveling internationally for years, I have for the first time had trouble finding good warm genuine people.

Part of the problem may be the fact that males on here are blocked from contacting you...
 TheLimey
Msg: 21
view profile
History
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 10/8/2008 12:54:46 PM
I was going to pass along details of a couple of places you'd meet ppl. but the 2 times I mentioned bars by name in these forums the posts have been deleted....

& btw the way, your msg blocking refers to gender..

no matter :)
 TheLimey
Msg: 22
view profile
History
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 10/8/2008 1:27:05 PM
I wasn't the last time I checked :)

Your profile filters says:

msdenissen3 is not accepting messages from someone of your age or gender.

As for museums: give the Peterson a miss. Takes 45 minutes to go thru the place, twice.
I was told yesterday that "bug week" at the Natural History Museum is worth going to. Possibly the first week of April.
 TheLimey
Msg: 23
view profile
History
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 10/8/2008 10:09:37 PM
Was with a group of friends the other week & noticed an odd accent among the group, asked the guy where he was originally from & he replied "here" LOL!
 Sirens Call
Msg: 24
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 10/9/2008 9:03:27 PM
I met Myth Los Angelth once. She was both beautiful and sunny. Her mountainous curves and coastal trails called to me. Her enticing melange of racially diverse oral pleasures were a feast to my taste buds. The Sound of her, waves crashing just as they reach their peak...

Wait. Does this make me a Cali-esbian?
 oceangirlnla1
Msg: 25
view profile
History
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 10/9/2008 10:04:48 PM
I moved to California 2 1/2 years ago from Nebraska. I've wanted to move here for over 10 years but love and relationships kept me in Nebraska for most of my life. I finally found my freedom and came to California looking to find my creative side. Plus get away from the cold Nebraska winters. I wanted to live near the ocean but ended up in the Inland Empire/Rancho Cucamonga area. It's absolutely beautiful there. The first sales job I found was in Rancho C. I changed jobs and asked to be transfered to the Glendale area about a year later. I commuted from Rancho C to Glendale for 3 months (104 miles round trip). I found an apartment in the Hollywood area with everything I wanted. A pool, secured off street parking, ground floor apartment and they accept pets. The deposits were very low and rent is of course much higher than Nebraska. But a home is where you choose to make no matter what the cost.

As far as homeownership goes, it was a total pain in the @$$ in Nebraska. Even though, houses cost a 1/3 or maybe 1/4 of what they cost in LA, I hated forking out money every time something broken down. Maybe it's a girl or woman thing. I'd rather live in an apartment and have maintenance fix things (for free!). Plus you never really "own" a house. Unless you pay cash or pay off the mortagae. The bank owns it and you're renting from them...

If your dreams are to own a house, its really a great time to buy right now (if the banks have money to lend). You can drive up north or east of here and find a really beautiful home for 1/2 off of what it was 2 years ago.

I make the same money here as I would in Nebraska. What brings me to LA from the Nebraska...the ocean, mountains, weather, quirky, creative people, things to do and see, tales to tell and hear, music, Vegas hours away...the list goes on and on...is truly what brought me here and I plan on staying here for the rest of my life. I don't need to own a house or live in one to be happy.
 inetuse
Msg: 26
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 11/8/2008 12:16:52 AM
I too don't understand the appeal. I've only been here for a few months and I'm already not too fond of it. Previously, I only lived a couple of hours down South and I can already smell and feel the difference in air pollution. Of course things like congestion, increased costs also turn me off. I guess if you like the urban life, partying, cities and buildings then Los Angeles is for you. Otherwise, anywhere else would be better for someone that prefers a more conservative life style.
Msg: 27
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 11/8/2008 12:53:10 AM
I have lived in LA for about 25 years and find that I can be in the most beautiful parts of the US with just a four or five hour drive...NOT flight! I can escape to the middle of the desert in just an hour and a half, I CAN buy a duplex in Hollywood for 500K and have someone ELSE pay the mortgage(or close to it).

If you want a three bedroom house by the beach then you had better be a millionaire, don't be silly! Most of us aren't millionaires but think of the poor saps in the rest of the country that CAN'T get a good enchilada, a GOOD Pad Thai, the BEST tamales, SEE every movie that there ever has been..... Go downtown to the Disney Hall or to the bowl and HEAR the best musicians in the world play for US!!! California is a PREMIUM state, we pay extra to live here because it ISN'T like all the other lousy crappy places in the rest of the US. We pay extra because there is MORE to do!!! CA has the best of everything, a farily OK baseball team or two, a couple of hockey teams but best of all we have the best restaurants that if they were transplanted to NY would triple or quadruple their prices.

Each day you live in CA you are enjoying and most of all taking for granted things that other states would kill for. One trip to Utah will clear your head of any notion that CA is a wasteland!!!(except for the lower corner at Moab(which ought to ask to be a separate state in itself!!!).
 Mr. Tonino
Msg: 28
view profile
History
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 12/20/2008 12:30:10 PM
LA is what you make of it. But it's over crowded with too many "guests" from over of the border. A day in LA is better than a day in colder latitudes.
 matchlight
Msg: 29
view profile
History
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 6/25/2009 6:44:39 PM
I was born and raised in L.A. I'm not sure what "the L.A. myth" means, or why deciding to live here would mean I was hanging onto it. If people who were raised in Chicago decide to live there, does it mean they're hanging onto some "Chicago myth?"
Msg: 30
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 7/1/2009 11:55:56 PM
I was at a party in Arizona few years ago and as soon as someone knew I was from LA the whole room started bagging on the town...it was kinda annoying and I had never felt a need to defend LA ever...till then. It was the usual crap about the town shutting down at 9pm(NOT unless you know where a dozen fantastic eateries/bars are that is...) and how LA is sooo fake, please don't even get me started on that one!

The kicker was that a woman who had been busting my chops for half an hour came up to me and complimented me on how good my English was.......I'M FROM SCOTLAND!!!!!

I thanked her and downed another ten beers to make the night go away ;-)
 forumschick
Msg: 31
view profile
History
The Myth of Los Angeles
Posted: 7/3/2009 8:26:16 AM
There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is California.

I lived there for fourteen years, moved to PA and I cannot believe I waited that long; that place can drive you to insanity, well okay, maybe I was insane before CA but still...

There is more to the United States than CA, that is all I am going to leave you with...
Show ALL Forums  > California  > The Myth of Los Angeles