Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > New Feature: View Similar Users      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ticketoride
Msg: 33
View Similar UsersPage 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I find this very amusing and very confusing. Perhaps someone could just summarize what this new feature is in simple terms, really simple.

The ones on your Page seem to be local Users that have not logged in for a few Days (which only your local Guys can see).

Kinda like a My Matches Page for the opposite Sex of Users who haven't logged in for 1-3 few Days.

The Admin may still be working on this Feature. So do something positive and play "Who Pays" Poker Blackjack with them for now.

Since more Profiles are clicked on with a new Page, more Advertising is viewed too, so it might just be another Pocketliner.

If the My Matches Page had actual Matches, would you not only need to click on half the Profiles, viewing only half of the Ads? And now you can get Revenue off those not logged in as well.

And those who have not logged in may find quite the Roster of new Candidates on their Viewed Me Page when they come back, perhaps not the same "Old Faces" from the My Matches Pages.

Kinda like tilling the Flowerbed.
 Xavery
Msg: 34
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/29/2008 9:14:21 PM
^Thanks!

Well! I'm totally bummed out. Went to check out all the chicks I'm supposed to be similar too. Ones on my fav list, a couple I have communicated with via the forums. A couple I've never seen before.

But what really hurt my feelings?....I'm not on a single one of their "similar" lists...

Dont worry we will look like that after the surgery, too.

I have to say this - even though I shouldn't - but I never realized until this week it was possible to have such big ... I mean so much cleavage. It just knocks my socks off. Some women definitely use this or these as their best foot or feet to put forward. ......get me out of here before I say more.
 texasbaby
Msg: 35
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/29/2008 9:30:24 PM
X ~ those are definitely not feet..

tb
 Ticketoride
Msg: 36
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/29/2008 9:39:20 PM
Alrighty then ... Hooter Competition Page ... Maybe the Admin will code us a Voting Button ...
 Ferruginous
Msg: 37
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/29/2008 9:45:53 PM
I agree with Ferruginous, so can you please take it off my profile too if its so useless?
Even if it wasn't useless, I wouldn't want it on my profile.

I'm apparently similar to the generic forum moderator's account????
I doubt that is useful to any woman looking for people similar to me for the purpose of dating.

If this was fixed, and it actually did show user's who were similar to me, I may be a little pissed off.
If someone makes a profile on this site, chances are they are hoping to promote themselves to others for the purpose of dating. Why should their profile be used to promote others to the same target people?
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 38
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/29/2008 10:01:49 PM
^^^ Too true.. and pray tell, why is the same couple of women showing up on most everybodies "similar" page within 25 miles of me. Are these women paying for advertising space to promote themselves?
 VainH
Msg: 39
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/29/2008 11:45:16 PM
One of the criteria, unless I miss my guess, is who's favourite's list do they appear on, ie. the more times two people are on the same fav list, the more likely they are to come up as similar. Could it be that this is nothing more than a shakeout to see how many database queries the system can take?
 WeAre1
Msg: 40
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/30/2008 7:21:58 AM
Just checked something on my profile and saw this 'new phrase' just above my name all asterisked and in red that says,
*** NEW VIEW SIMILAR USERS TO WeAre1.

I read it and thought, what??? First of all I'm not similar to anyone I know and second, I'm not a user. I'd prefer not to have this on my profile and so request it be removed. You already show the thumbnails of others within 50 miles of me automatically, as you do with all these pages....so please reconsider having this almost insulting phrase showing more obviously than really anything else on our profiles. I'm not sure how long you have added this 'feature', but it is not something I am happy with. That's all.

EDIT to ADD: as I somehow missed this thread for the title did not compute in me it was about this issue, I started another thread I am trying to delete for being redundant and have now pasted my post here instead.

But now having read this thread, I can see the majority here, it seems, are not happy about this new feature, and the others are just using it as a joke, so with even more ammo this time, I ask you Marcus to get rid of it. Thank you.
 Merrylass
Msg: 41
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/30/2008 7:26:07 AM
What about 'view users who actually meet your criteria'?
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 42
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/30/2008 7:37:40 AM

Alrighty then ... Hooter Competition Page ... Maybe the Admin will code us a Voting Button ...
Well to keep it fair.. there should be a
"Package" Competition Page as well.. or perhaps "These Men Are Taller Than The User You Just Viewed Page...
 JonInTampa
Msg: 43
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/30/2008 7:48:50 AM

I'd prefer not to have this on my profile

When you don't understand or like something on POF, consider the old phrase "follow the money".

Admin makes money on webpage advertising. That occurs on the dating side of POF - (the profiles). So when you see new "features" that entice people to click on more profiles, it's just the admin trying to increase his revenue (IMO).

Remember the recent "age under thumbnails" experiment? Probably another attempt at more profile views (again, just my guess).

TickettoRide said:

The one Thing that would be next to impossible to beat are these Forums here. They are Second to none

I hope you mean that the quality of active and archived posts here are far superior to other dating websites. I'd agree with you there. And it's due to the aggressive work of the volunteer moderators.

The forum code itself is disappointing. Again, "follow the money". To be expected as there's no advertisement on the forums. So why do anything to increase their use? Few POF'ers use the forums. All forum "enhancements" that I've seen are to keep the forums under control, not to improve the user experience or increase forum usage.

Please don't take this as complaining or bashing. POF "is what it is", and free to use because of that.
 markus
Msg: 45
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/30/2008 8:14:15 AM

10,000,000 Users x 10 MBs + 50% Overhead (Max) = 150 MBs, what?

10 Million * 10 * 50% doesn't equal 150.

Thats 1.5 Billion MB. or 15,000 GB. Toss in Raid Controllers, Servers and 15k RPM drives you need to handle that and it ads up very very fast. Good luck being able to mount and search a 15TB mail database with any kind of speed. You probably need at least 40 or more servers for that.

The login issues are coming from the fact I can't write to disks and read fast enough. Yesterday we had over 1 Million logins in 3 hours pushing the system over the edge for a little while.

Viewing more profiles descreases revenue, because you get to many pageviews per user but it increases peoples ability to find someone.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 46
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/30/2008 8:33:37 AM
LOL...well, I am not on my lists, lists, either! (Did that make any sense!?) Yet when I look at those on mine...most are scattered throughout one anothers...minus ME. I guess I am just too original to be similar to others?
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 47
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/30/2008 9:50:17 AM

but it increases peoples ability to find someone.
How can it if the only algorithm used is apparently only having been placed in the same person's favourite's list? Afterall.. that person who has favoured us already knows of our existance.

How can someone who is looking for a long term relationship have a similarity to someone who is looking for intimate encounter or short term for example?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 48
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/30/2008 10:50:46 AM
We may need another Profile Section, the About Them Form Field where you can take up the Pros & Cons of similar Users in Respect to yourself.

Such as ...

If you want someone who is honest, loyal and down to Earth, contact me.

If you are looking for Big Hooters, contact Betty567, or Mary567 on my "Similar Page.

For good Teeth ... message Lynda478. A secure Job ... Susie123. One who easily puts out ... Debbie 490. No Baggage ... Lisa395. No Acne, extra Pounds or blonde Hair ... Sarah468 & Rosie572

WeAre1
Msg: 50
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/30/2008 10:55:38 AM

Viewing more profiles descreases revenue, because you get to(o) many pageviews per user but it increases peoples ability to find someone.

Ahhh- thank you 'admin' for explaining, I think, your reasons for this 'feature'. If you won't remove it, may I strongly request you put it, instead, at the BOTTOM of our PROFILES and NOT the TOP before anyone even gets to look or read our profiles, as it presently sits. That would appear to make much more sense, woudn't it? That is if it is true your belief it actually increases chances of people finding another.....which to me is really up to each individual person, isn't it?

Besides, the whole 'feature' as you can see from what looks like everyone's views here is it is really false advertising - for what? um, imo for comparing incorrectly one person to the next and saying they are similar when most obviously they are not.

FUNGIRLWANTED
Msg: 51
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/30/2008 11:00:43 AM
So I did a little experiment! I did a detailed search for as old and overweight woman as I could find! ( I am not interested in Old Overweight women, "Not that there is anything wrong with that" to steal a seinfeld quote LOL) . She was 63 and very overweight, so I then clicked her similar profiles found one that was semi thinner looking, and then clicker her profile and then similars, then did it once more. In theory you would think I would still be looking at a similar age range and body type. However after 3 clicks I was on a page of women in their late 20's with more cleavage than a busload of butchers on the way to a union meeting! So how in the world are they similar with the 63 year old BBW? Are some of them her grandchildren perhaps ? LOL
 Ticketoride
Msg: 52
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/30/2008 11:25:43 AM
Any of the Searches yield far more accurate similar Results than the "Similar" Page, which appears to have little in common with each other. Hence a Waste of anyone Time to even bother with it.

An IM Link or 'Profile Reviews' would be far more useful in its stead.
 Rainsands
Msg: 53
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/30/2008 12:56:53 PM
k, let's see here........

~ one of my buddies (dating) only has 2 other profiles on his "similars", one in the same state he lives in and the other one in ENGLAND........... boy, that would be convenient for dating purposes now wouldn't it ???

~ another friend who lives in Montreal (dating) has 14 "similars" - 2 in that same city, one in ONTARIO, one in ALBERTA, 2 in BRITISH COLUMBIA, one at the NORTH POLE (the mod mailbox), one in WYOMING, one in CALIFORNIA, one in TEXAS, one in ILLINOIS, one in MISSOURI, one in NEW YORK and one in FLORIDA................ so gee, I guess location can be ruled out as a factor or....... can it ???

~ my "similars" - out of 13, 8 live in my area, one in the same province, one in a city with the same name but located in NEWFOUNDLAND, 2 in MICHIGAN and 1 in INDIANA ........ seriously what the hell ???

I keep checking to see if by some miracle of thoughtful insight, this feature is trashed for the garbage it is............
 Miss W
Msg: 54
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/30/2008 1:19:49 PM

None of us is "similar" to the other. We're all unique, very special, different people. The idea that any of us would be a perfectly good "replacement" for the other is demeaning. It's like, "Well, if I can't have this one there are eighteen more that are similar to her."

I thought so too. The only thing we have in common are that most are blonde and on over 100 favs...big deal, its a good thing I'm not here to date. It makes you feel like its comparison shopping. I actually thought that posting the ages in search was useful, but now that's gone. Oh well.
 Xavery
Msg: 55
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/30/2008 9:15:14 PM
Well, whether you like it or not, you have to admit this new feature is very interesting. It is even more interesting when you consider the "similar" women have large cup sizes and the similar men are mods or former mods or event hosts. Correct me if I am wrong. In fact, I know you will.

For me the bottom line, and I am not referring to part of the human anatomy, is don't sweat the small stuff. This, too, will pass, or not, or morph into something else.
 markus
Msg: 56
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/1/2008 10:04:32 AM
i've added a bit of an explanation to page.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 58
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/1/2008 10:16:20 AM
So this is being done manually, I assume? Since we do not have breast size, hair length, etc...on our profiles? And as a hostess who attends the parties, mine would logically be the others who attend parties...or have long hair, bigger breasts?? LOL

Like most features here...I say it is a TOOL...use it or not. :) The more available, the better.
 markus
Msg: 59
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/1/2008 10:34:18 AM
definately not manually its all automated.
 FUNGIRLWANTED
Msg: 60
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/1/2008 10:47:29 AM
What I don't understand is that last week when the ages were posted, a few pe0ple complained and boom the feature was gone. This week this feature is getting a resounding thumbs down, and yet it still lives, why the stubborn nature on this one?
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > New Feature: View Similar Users