Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > New Feature: View Similar Users      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 61
view profile
History
View Similar UsersPage 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
^^^ Now that post definately deserves a standing ovation...

Thank you.

A question to admin: If we're so similar to these woman.. then why are we not shown on their similar page?????
 Rainsands
Msg: 62
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/1/2008 12:37:26 PM
The "explanation" seems to be gone...for now at least.

and not a moment too soon !!!

My "similars" page has gone from bad to worse.... the age range span has increased from "only" 35 years to 39 years !!!!!!!!!!

Hell, maybe tomorrow I'll be able to boast of an age range span of over 50 years !!! This would enable some dude to view someone my age, my daughter's age AND my mother's age....
 WeAre1
Msg: 63
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/1/2008 3:09:59 PM
So those of us brave enough to post photos are now having to be part of this very unpopular 'feature', but if we choose not to post photos, then we don't? Plus I have no idea who's profiles might lead to me now.

Marcus, I ask again, please reconsider your decision with this. The majority of people here seem to feel it is either very demeaning (especially the women, including myself)....and several others say it really is not linking similar profiles at all.

For me, the real essence is no one is similar to anyone else here.

I also am wondering if you could please respond to some of the posts here expressing serious disturbance by this.

Are you not hearing us?
 ItsMargo
Msg: 64
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/1/2008 3:30:26 PM
*sigh* I don't like this feature at all... for the reasons already outlined. 'nuff said and I shall hope it goes away as a failed experiment.

On a personal note... I've been teasing my sweetie since forever about replacing him... and he always laughs and holds up two fingers... indicating "yeah, so TRY to find just one other guy like me"

Dang... I've got a page full of attractive women that HE could (presumably) replace me with... and when I click on HIS page? NOTHING... apparently there ISN'T another option. grrr

This lousy feature doesn't even give me good joke fodder.
 StarcityRomeo
Msg: 65
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/1/2008 6:32:13 PM
Who cares about these boobie beotches....me likes nerdy chunky redheads anyway.

;)
 anndramada
Msg: 66
New Feature: View Similar Users
Posted: 10/1/2008 6:50:24 PM
How about ask the users? Why not just post a poll? Yea or Nay.
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2008 7:33:10 PM
^^^ That makes me wonder how many complaint emails Admin has received from "The General POF Public" about the "Similar" page..
 Ferruginous
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/1/2008 9:06:09 PM

i've added a bit of an explanation to page.
Maybe I'm just stupid, but I can't find any explanation.
What page am I suppossed to be looking for it on?
 Ferruginous
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/1/2008 9:21:24 PM
^^^^
Thanks, I hadn't noticed that post earlier.

We attempt to detect a strong/appealing trait in a user and then find other users with that trait, this could be that all users on a list have a similar look, they could all attend events, they could all be hippies, they could all have long hair or similar breast sizes etc etc.
What the fukc???
Are we expected to believe that through some automated process , this site can automatically can tell what a person's look, or hair length, or tit size is? Or whether or not the person is a hippy?

As far as I am concerned, the owner of this site is not fvcking welcome to use a computer program to assume from my profile what my hair-length, look, **** size, etc may be. Nor is he welcome to make comparisions between me and other users based on those assumptions and then display them publicly.
I consider it an unwelcome intrussion, and if this feature's not gone tomorrow my profile will be.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 70
Posted: 10/1/2008 10:18:36 PM
As far as I am concerned, the owner of this site is not fvcking welcome to use a computer program to assume from my profile what my hair-length, look, **** size, etc may be. Nor is he welcome to make comparisions between me and other users based on those assumptions and then display them publicly.

Too much Nonsense concluded based on too many bogus Speculations. Suffice to say, when Answers are not forthcoming, People tend to fabricate all sorts of Stuff ... its a Way of playing/surveying People, kinda like throwing in the Cheese, see what the will Mice do. Provide no Answers, watch their Reactions while they go slightly Nuts. Just a Method, unless total Lack of Attention or Obliviousness is at work, to f*ck with People just as Wall Street does.

There is no such Software ...
 VainH
Msg: 71
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/1/2008 10:32:57 PM
I have posted before about the phenomena that I call "Internet Dating Attention Deficit Disorder"
Can we call it Heuristic Internet Dating Attention Deficit Disorder? Then it gets the great acronym HiDadd, and we can give it a theme song by Was (Not Was).

HiDadd, happy birthday, I'm in jail. I like it here.

Anyway, enough of that stream of consciousness for a moment. Feature sucks, kinda degrading, clearly not well implemented, but I suspect its more a coding exercise/work in progress rather than the final planned feature right now.

Are people seriously complaining that they're losing the opportunity to meet people who aren't interested enough in them to click "Contact User" rather than "See If I Can Contact Somebody Better?" Better a wandering mouse than a wandering eye.
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 72
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/1/2008 10:44:06 PM

Better a wandering mouse than a wandering eye.
You say that so I almost believe that one doesn't lead to the other

Can we call it Heuristic Internet Dating Attention Deficit Disorder? Then it gets the great acronym HiDadd
:0) Too funny!
 Ferruginous
Msg: 73
Posted: 10/2/2008 9:17:39 PM
Too much Nonsense concluded based on too many bogus Speculations. Suffice to say, when Answers are not forthcoming, People tend to fabricate all sorts of Stuff ... its a Way of playing/surveying People, kinda like throwing in the Cheese, see what the will Mice do. Provide no Answers, watch their Reactions while they go slightly Nuts. Just a Method, unless total Lack of Attention or Obliviousness is at work, to f*ck with People just as Wall Street does.

There is no such Software ...
Well, my "nonsense" conclussion was not fabricated by me. My conclussion was based on the explanation which the site's owner apparently provided.

Whatever the reason for this feature, I'd still like to opt out of it.
It certainly was nothing I agreed to when signing up to this site, and I doubt that I would have ever made a profile on this site if the feature, which I consider to be intrusive, had existed when I first found this site.

Seriously, can we have an OPT OUT of this feature?
I'm considering using the "delete profile" option to opt out of it.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/2/2008 11:54:47 PM
Call me stoopid, but I am still not getting how this is figured...especially automated. I know you explained it, then removed the explanation....but HOW can you know that any of these girls in my list, are similar to me, automatically? Is this really based on how often we visit the website, how much mail we receive, how many times our profiles are viewed, and other things as such?

Because those are the only things I can think of that would be "automated" and able to compare to me. The earlier mentioned breast size and hair and so on...impossible to "automate" such.

Please explain...without using a card game as an example. ;o)
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/3/2008 7:08:13 AM
Well, thanks for clarifying that, Trapped! I do not know Markus personally, and I do not know if he has a warped or morbid sense of humor...lol...was not sure how serious he was with the criteria of such! :)

As I have said...I can take it or leave it...makes no difference. I view all of the tools here, as just that...TOOLS which I can or cannot use to my advantage. :) My choice. What others do with them...makes no difference to me. It's really no different than the faves list...some love it, some hate it.

It would be nice to know WHO's lists I am on as "similar" to them, though! I have yet to see myself pop up on anyone's! LOL
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2008 7:13:29 AM

because you never know, someone may arrive at your profile through that same feature.
Question: Has anyone actually found their own profile on someone elses similar page? I know I haven't and I've clicked away until the Sign Up Page showed up again.. btw Why does that keep happening ~ I've cleared my cache over and over ?????
 VainH
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2008 9:57:13 PM
I think I figured it out. Probably not based on favourites, but photo views and/or profile views per session. Similarity is judged based on person A and person B being viewed by user C. The more visitors that see both A's & B's profile or photo during one sitting, the more similar they are. This would explain why regular forum users are shot, since people see our photos all the time, and often together.

The assumption is that if people look at your profile, then look at another, you have something in common. The flaw, as the ladies have been pointing out, is that some people are more visually driven, to put it delicately. Someone reads their interesting, well written, deep profile, then gets distracted by the girl with the big boobs and checks that out next. Now they're similar, though only because someone drooled over the chick with the huge honking hooters.
 *Eiledon*
Msg: 78
Posted: 10/4/2008 2:22:32 AM
Similar does not have to mean "physically" similar - it could be, as suggested, how much mail you receive, how much mail you write, how many emails you respond to, how many favourites lists you're on, the types of profile that you gravitate to through your views, any of the site quizzes that you answered, your demographics, they types of searches you perform - there could be hundreds of metrics on site interaction which could make you, in the absence of a defined criteria "similar".

I will be most interested if and when the selection criteria is ever revealed, Trapped.

I finally gave in and looked at my own 'similars' and find my winning "5 of a kind" poker hand from bigfish again, plus a highly regarded forum contributer from Montreal. (Who I recall has acted as a Mod in the past! - A 6 of a kind?! l.o.l.)

Illustrious company notwithstanding, that's more than HALF of my eleven 'similars' not even in Texas! Much less look like me, have a similar number of favs, email, etc.

What can possibly be the criteria?

As I said, I'm very curious to know.

How 'bout it, Marcus?
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 80
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/4/2008 10:44:03 AM
^^^
"Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
’relax,’ said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
But you can never leave!" Hotel California ~ The Eagles

*sighs*
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 81
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/4/2008 12:49:53 PM
^^^ So.. we're all sharing the same favourites .. lmao. . . I feel like I'm in a cult commune... where we all share each other *thinks about this* Ewwwww!

Edit:.. *Looks* The Feature seems to have disappeared.. at time of writing anyway.

Big Fish: I enjoy this site Big Time.. but the "similar feature".. uhm NOT so much! Thanks for everything else. *bows*
 texasbaby
Msg: 82
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/4/2008 1:43:58 PM
Well, this feature may have disappeared from your profile, but it's still on mine ~
There they are, with their hooters hanging out or piled up in the bed. Good Lord,,,, I must be doing this all wrong...
Now where did I put that white, bear skin rug,,, gotta find it for new photo session! Note to self,, remember,, push up the girls and pull down the neckline of my shirt,, as far as it will stretch.

tb
 Ticketoride
Msg: 83
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/4/2008 2:56:22 PM
Jeez ... who trashed my "Weak Competitors" Page? ...

Ok Folks, Game over.

Those without at least 5 WildCards, pay the Cashier on the Way out the Door.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 84
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/4/2008 3:07:35 PM
Mine is gone, so I am happy.

See »» The following users are similar to RedCassandra

Only visible when E-Mail Logged in now.
Your own Profile will not show the Link in either Case.
Now you can't see your own Competition to compare yourself to.
I guess the "Final Solution" is to stop the Forum Complaints.
So now we just send Links to each other about our Competition.

Brilliant Scheme, eh?

What now? "Curiosity" tempting the Creation of Multiple Profiles to check out your other Profile's "Competitors"? Enjoy the Workload of yet more Reports or artificially inflate the User Base on Site? New Users coming here into the Forums asking us about the Existence of some "Mystery" Page of "Similar Users" they can't see?

No need to thank anyone, its on the House.
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 85
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/4/2008 3:36:56 PM

Your own Profile will not show the Link in either Case above.
How utterly "Canadian" to hide what the masses dissapprove of so that we won't feel bad. *looks for mountie icon*

(Mandrake: I love your profile bi-line *claps*)
 Ticketoride
Msg: 86
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/4/2008 3:49:34 PM
Breast Enlargement Advertising on "Similar Page to:" to follow shortly ...
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > New Feature: View Similar Users