Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > New Feature: View Similar Users      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 acitalriwt sixela
Msg: 99
View Similar UsersPage 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

when I could see my similars, I went through to see if I was on any of theirs (and there were 18 there, so, yes, rainsands, it is not the same at all from one to another) and, nope, I was not on any of theirs, but they are all on each other's.....so now I'm really confused.... perhaps I've snuck through the system and am not showing up on anybody's.....that would be wonderful.

I just check mine. Seems they are similar to me but I am similar to only one of them. Is confuseing. lol
 WeAre1
Msg: 100
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/7/2008 5:43:44 AM
message 166 - don't know how you checked yours, for the link disappeared from my profile the other day, when they changed it....and I thought it disappeared from everybody's.....

but now I realize I have another issue with this 'feature' that's really annoying....

until this started, I could use my 'viewed me' page to see who viewed my profile and I could check them out and most of them were somewhere in my preferences group or a fellow forum'ite....with the occasional person too young or too old or too far away from me....but mostly they were local and in my age range.

but now, forget it. now there are two pages of viewed me pages and the last two times I checked them, there is no point. they are no where near me anymore and the age range also is ridiciulously huge.

basically, marcus, your new 'feature' is doing the opposite of what you thought it would do - for now the 'viewed me' pages are useless to me completely and I honestly really feel very uncomfortable with even more people viewing my profile that have absolutely nothing in common with my preferences.....just a huge waste of time and space and, as I've been saying from the beginning - you are misrepresenting me by saying I have anything in common with all those ladies you've linked my profile to.

and the forum pages are running consistently slow now and I have a brand new laptop with loads of memory and broadband, so it's not a problem at this end.

I would really appreciate if you'd respond to all the negative reactions you are receiving here now. where are you? probably lost in the maze of problems this latest 'game' of yours has created.

QUESTION: IF I HIDE MY PROFILE...does that mean I am removed from this feature and from everybody else's links to me???

Edit to below - thanks alexy- it sounded so complicated and i doubt anything has changed since the other day, but i appreciate your telling me how to again in case i get curious in the future.
 acitalriwt sixela
Msg: 101
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/7/2008 5:51:28 AM

message 166 - don't know how you checked yours, for the link disappeared from my profile the other day, when they changed it....and I thought it disappeared from everybody's.....

Msg 151

To see your own, the url is
http://www.plentyoffish.com/socialgraph.aspx?profile_id=#####

where ##### is the numeric part of your profile address, for example,

My profile:
http://www.plentyoffish.com/member1428598.htm

My similar page:
http://www.plentyoffish.com/socialgraph.aspx?profile_id=1428598
 WeAre1
Msg: 102
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/7/2008 6:17:24 AM
Gosh - seem to be stuck on this issue for now...one more question - I've noticed some profiles don't have this evil 'feature' and say, instead of the similars link in large red print, have this in smaller bright pink letters...

*** NEW Click to Match xxxxx with one of your friends***

so why do these users have this instead of the similars link that says this:

*** NEW VIEW SIMILAR USERS TO xxxxx.
...never mind notice the capital letters used in the link....something we're not allowed to do on the forums for it implies we're shouting....hmm
 Rainsands
Msg: 103
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/7/2008 6:47:06 AM

Ok this is what I think...

The Similar View is based of how many hits we get. It has nothing to do with physical similarities. This is why it will not work for Forum regulars because we get a higher amount of hits then others.

I don't think it is based on number of hits.... I have a male friend on here who is a prolific poster - hundreds (probably thousands) of posts and on his similars page there is only one entry....

when I could see my similars, I went through to see if I was on any of theirs (and there were 18 there, so, yes, rainsands, it is not the same at all from one to another) and, nope, I was not on any of theirs, but they are all on each other's.....so now I'm really confused.... perhaps I've snuck through the system and am not showing up on anybody's.....that would be wonderful.

I believe the code prevents us from seeing ourselves on our "similars" profiles' similars. As you have noticed, they are all on each other's so that leads me to believe that we have to unfortunately assume that we are on theirs as well....

I have changed my tag line (beside my username) to read "^^^^No they're not ~ trust me..." so that this will appear directly below the hidden red line that invites people to view users "supposedly similar" to me.

I am also working on some ASCII art but for now I have posted this at the bottom of the "About Me"

For All The Female POF Fishies ~ Please Feel Free To Put This On Your Profile If This Illustrates What The Hell, If Anything, You Have In Common With Your "Supposedly Similars"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ME~~~~~~~~~~~~~~( XX CHROMOSOMES )~~~~~~~~~~~~~~THEM~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rainsands
Msg: 104
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/7/2008 7:39:10 AM

I can live with "Naked Teddy Bear Girl"... The bear is kinda cute...

Hey I want a teddy bear too; you're right, it's adorable !

I'll trade ya ~ "Naked Teddy Bear Girl" for "Mrs. Santa Claus Wearing a Gymnastics Leotard That Shows Low Hangin' Cleavage and Open Legs"....

Please say yes....
 WeAre1
Msg: 105
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 10/7/2008 8:55:00 AM
^^^thank you two so much!! laughing.....just what the doctor ordered to break up taking this all way too seriously.
actually, have hidden my profile now and will unhide it perhaps another day....this way the ones who find me are coming from you know where and not some distant profile in some distant galaxy somewhere...
 silibus
Msg: 106
New Feature: View Similar Users
Posted: 10/30/2008 8:31:34 PM
I looked all over my profile page and can not find this 'View Similar Users' anywhere. Do I actually have a profile on POF still? Have I been banned yet? Am I on one of the modersator's "ignore" list. Hello? Do I still exist even? I just pinched myself and I felt it so I Must be alive.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 107
New Feature: View Similar Users
Posted: 10/30/2008 9:30:49 PM
I looked all over my profile page and can not find this 'View Similar Users' anywhere.

Still there ...

Related Links:Can't view your own "Similar Users to" Page
 BigFish
Msg: 108
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 12/3/2008 9:30:54 PM
For users with over 300 favorites the similar feature works a lot different now. For users with that many favorites I append &refine=1 to the end of the socialgraph URL.
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 109
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 12/3/2008 10:11:24 PM
^^^^ well, that makes it much more awesome
saaaaay waaahhhht? *looks for IT guy's phone number*
 JonInTampa
Msg: 110
View Similar Users
Posted: 11/10/2009 7:35:11 PM
URL seems to be located on the bottom of a viewed profile. Wow, that is actually treating people almost like customers rather than google adwords meat. Did Marcus actually grow a conscious?

Nah, more likely the metrics indicated that user discontent was worthy of trying a less offensive approach.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > New Feature: View Similar Users