Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 scorpiomover
Msg: 196
view profile
History
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?Page 10 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
RE Msg: 196 by Edsta:
You make a very compelling case, and I'd be curious to check out your yoga class...it sounds like Iyengar yoga, which emphasizes alignment and holding poses much longer than other schools.
I didn't do it in a class at all. I got a book on Sivananda Yoga. I used to do it with my flat-mate, and we'd give each other tips. My ideas about Yoga were a combination of what I read, and what felt right by experience.

I've mostly done Ashtanga and Hatha yoga, wherein the poses are held for 3-5 breaths tops.
If that's all you were doing, you'd easily get more of a workout with weights. The body just isn't being taxed enough at all during any one pose to make any real impact.

I was intrigued by your account of how different your body now looks and how women respond to it, so out of curiousity I looked at your profile pics...and was very surprised. Are those old, pre-yoga photos?
I did it when I was 26. I didn't keep it up, and it shows. A lot. I'm still not that out of shape. But I know what I was like.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?
Posted: 12/5/2009 6:40:26 PM
RE Msg: 198 by Edsta:
One last question: how'd you know how long to hold each pose? Were you using a clock/timer, just counting your breaths, or just going by how your body felt each time?
It's in the book. Some were counts of breaths, like the breathing exercises. Some were rounds, like the Sun Salutation. Some were time-based, like the major poses.

But the key with all of them, is to tailor it to you. If you push too far, you do yourself an injury, and then it takes days to heal, and the whole incremental low-impact doesn't work.

I found for myself there are 2 biting points, like in a stick-shift. There is about as far as you can go without any effort, then there is a little bit farther, when you use a tiny bit of effort, and then there is when it starts to hurt. I found that after a while, I could feel when I was at each boundary, like a biting-point, because I had to make more effort, to get over the boundary. I found that in the zero-effort zone, you didn't get much improvement. In the pain-zone, you got improvement, but you overdid it, and so you had to give yourself time to heal every week. The best improvement I had, by far, was when I stayed in the middle zone, a bit of effort, but no real pain, like when you do a stretch, and you know you're stretching a bit, but it's still quite comfortable to hold it for a few minutes.

The same is true of how long to stay in it. Only stay in the pose as long as you are comfortable. In the beginning, you may find that 10 seconds in the shoulderstand is a lot. Doesn't matter. Take your time. If you do, then you build up really quickly. But if you try to do too much too soon, you'll pull a muscle, or overstretch, and then the time healing will take a lot more time to do it slow but steady.

But this requires paying attention to your body. Think of it like a well-oiled machine. It already runs damn well. You're trying to give it a tune-up, not replace the cylinders. So treat it the same. If it's a little out of notch, give it a tweak. If it screams, stop.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2013 2:34:54 AM

Its hard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pIgs03TYo4

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Whoaaaaa He is something.

I would think that took some extraordinary discipline and time to be able to do.
Inspiring.

Notice how there's not one quiver or shake during that whole sequence... tremendous muscular endurance!

^^^^^^^^^^^
That is absolutely amazing..
 UPTOYOU65
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2013 4:40:26 AM
I don't know why unless they think it's not a good workout. I have done yoga in the past and if you keep your form and hold your poses correctly it is without a doubt a good workout.
 Chipsss
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2013 1:09:48 PM
I do Yoga sometimes. According to Geoffrey Devereux it also makes you physically stronger in such a way that does not involve muscle size.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 212
Posted: 1/21/2013 8:56:38 PM
Most men do not like to stretch.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 223
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2013 3:43:34 PM
That lead singer from Maroon Five..He can bring on the YOGA.

I think it's hot when a man does it and does it well.
 billingsmason
Msg: 226
Posted: 1/26/2013 5:31:07 PM
Yep it's a philosophy too....
occultism= the hidden/secret stuff

I do both physical and mental yoga often.
What real man doesn't own a pair of yoga pants?

Anyone else get this weird not so good feeling after doing it? Lasts about a half hour...
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >