Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 3N0
Msg: 34
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?Page 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I can tell you one thing- it's not from a lack of hot women and lulu lemon!

Eno
 Kazimierz
Msg: 36
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?
Posted: 10/29/2008 7:18:16 AM
I can't speak for other guys but I love doing yoga. I've been practicing for over a year (mostly ashtanga style) and it's great as a physical activity. Plus it lets you tap into your spiritual side if you so choose.

When I first started out I was hesitant because I viewed it as mostly a women's activity. I didnt' know much about it and I didn't want to seem like I was doing it to pick up women. Then I came in contact with some great instructors (both male and female) and showed me what yoga is really about. Once I started doing it and noticing improvements then I really got into it.

One should point out there are a lot of different styles of yoga which range from meditation focused to more vigorous physical workouts. Also, finding a studio with great instructors will affect your perception of it.

For guys who are thinking of trying it, I suggest to go to an intro ashtanga class. This style of yoga is more physical and can be great just as a fitness workout. However, if you do it more often you will realize it's more than just a fitness class.
 justlooken01
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/31/2008 8:03:25 AM
I can only speak for myself but here’s how I came to include Yoga and Pilates as an integral part of my workout regime.

Like a lot of guys, I used to focus on programs that involved weights with some sort of cardio thrown in. After years of doing what I thought was a good thing, I tore some muscles in my shoulder. While troubleshooting what had happened, I discovered that my routine was severely lacking in the area of addressing my core muscles. After the surgeon reattached my infra-spanatus and supra-spanatus and I completed the physical therapy, I was of course intent on not having a recurrence. My troubleshooting had led me to recognize that I was focusing too much on the mirror muscles and neglecting my core muscles. To fix that I started doing Pilates that led to doing Yoga as well. Now I do Pilates, Yoga, weights and all the other outdoor activities I’ve always enjoyed. Personally, I find the mix to be the best solution for me. Too much of any one thing is usually not a good thing.

That’s how I came to recognize the benefits of Yoga and Pilates. Had I known what I know now, I would have mixed it up from the start. I think our education in the area of diet and exercise is sorely lacking, or it was in my case.

So now I take my mat to the Yoga/Pilates class and yes, I’m typically the token male. Doesn’t bother me though. It’s fun to hear some of the conversations that take place when the class forgets that there’s a guy in the back of the room.
 Shibui_Man
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/31/2008 10:14:49 AM
i must be in the minority....

it's a perception thing, i think. people gravitate towards what they are comfortable with. i have a yoga routine that is a very tough workout, for sure! even knowing the benefits, i still avoid it. the same holds true for those pesky isometric squats!
 smileee4u
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/1/2008 6:32:57 PM
The only man I know who does yoga is a Catholic Priest.
 beachboi!
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/2/2008 8:12:00 PM
Why do so few women do weights? Resistance exercise is the best way to firm up, tone and condition your body. I see a lot of women in the gym caught in the vicious circle of over cardio and over dieting which can actually have adverse effects -- a loss of muscle tissue, turning you into what is known as a fat skinny. A body which is thin but flabby .
 beachboi!
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/3/2008 10:37:24 PM
i would give it a try just for a laugh, but the yoga room at fitness first smells.
 David_10019
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2008 7:56:40 PM
I would do Yoga... but I would feel very out of place.

I find it somewhat easier to focus on what I'm doing when I'm not surrounded by athletic women in crazy poses (maybe its just me).
 HotSurfer3
Msg: 48
Posted: 11/5/2008 10:24:10 PM
I always thought yoga was just for women. I am a runner, surfer, and do a couple triathlons a year. Last year I damaged my back working as bussr to food runner for two years. It put a halt on all my sports activities that I love to do, and also had to quit my job. I had no insurance ( mistakenly), didnt really want to spend the money to see a doctor , since all i would get is pain killers, which I won't put in my mouth. A friend recomended yoga, and I decided to give it a try. I bought a few surf yoga movies. I did not feel comfortable going to a classes surrounded with women not feeling welcomed. Its been a year and I still do it 3-4 times a week and worked wonders on my back. It strengthened my back in a painless way, and helped my physical ability tremendously.My surfing improved more in one year than all 7 years I been surfing.But I do yoga on my own personal time at home, and my tv is my instructor. I'm not sure if i should attend to a class being a lone man akwardly, but again I could be surrounded by beautiful women, single hopefully!
 HotSurfer3
Msg: 49
Posted: 11/5/2008 10:29:18 PM
I always thought yoga was just for women. I am a runner, surfer, and do a couple triathlons a year. Last year I damaged my back working as bussr to food runner for two years. It put a halt on all my sports activities that I love to do, and also had to quit my job. I had no insurance ( mistakenly), didnt really want to spend the money to see a doctor , since all i would get is pain killers, which I won't put in my mouth. A friend recomended yoga, and I decided to give it a try. I bought a few surf yoga movies. I did not feel comfortable going to a classes surrounded with women not feeling welcomed. Its been a year and I still do it 3-4 times a week and worked wonders on my back. It strengthened my back in a painless way, and helped my physical ability tremendously.Even made me mentally stronger in running longer and faster.My surfing improved more in one year than all 7 years I been surfing.But I do yoga on my own personal time at home, and my tv is my instructor. I'm not sure if i should attend to a class being a lone man akwardly, but again I could be surrounded by beautiful women, single hopefully!
 Infinity Mine
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/12/2009 10:43:08 PM
Well...following the trend here...I guess it's because men who need some physical therapy are the minority....I use it to replace a BORING stretching regime that I really should do every day....

With yoga I get the stretch and increased balance...and don't kid yourself...some poses are damn challenging and require LOTS of core strength....

...then there's increased energy factor...I don't know for sure....but I think that some poses really help to restore your subtle energies....

...and for any guy who thinks it's not "manly" enough...try incorporating it in your strength training....here's how....go on youtube to find out how to do a proper yoga handstand against the wall....when you finally have the proper core strength to get up there gracefully....hold it for a while then see how many pushups you can do.....

....that's REAL strength training....half the guys in the gym who do strength training are really just there to make their muscles look pretty....get off the benches and pulleys and start swinging from the bars....your core will thank you.....
 kpooks
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2009 8:22:04 PM
I've done yoga, and it felt fantastic. The instructor couldn't believe I was so flexible at age 42. Yeah, it LOOKS gay, but the stretching and controlled breathing are incredibly relaxing. And I get to look at women's butts when they're not aware LOL...
 Edsta
Msg: 52
Posted: 1/13/2009 9:22:16 PM

Don't fool yourself. There are just as many stupid yoga enthusiasts as there are stupid weightlifters.

Not so sure about this.

One of my yoga teachers did once joke that many of his students do yoga just so they can wear sexy tight clothing that costs an arm and a leg (God bless those LuluLemon pants!), but I've known a lot more ditsy gym bunnies (=hardcore female lifters, the bottle blondes with the permanently overcooked tans and blatantly fake boobs) than ditsy yoga women.
 Edsta
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/13/2009 9:26:30 PM

For me it's the price, it's just so expensive to take it around where I live. My gym membership is HALF the price of an equivalent yoga class membership. I stretch enough on my own to hopefully maintain my flexibility.

Excellent point. Most yoga studios will charge $120-150 for an unlimited monthly pass. As opposed to a gym like 24HourFitness which usually costs around $30/month. It's the economy of scale thing I guess.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2009 5:59:28 PM

One of my yoga teachers did once joke that many of his students do yoga just so they can wear sexy tight clothing that costs an arm and a leg (God bless those LuluLemon pants!), but I've known a lot more ditsy gym bunnies (=hardcore female lifters, the bottle blondes with the permanently overcooked tans and blatantly fake boobs) than ditsy yoga women.

Ah well then, my experience has been radically different than yours. I would reckon there are more coiffed, botoxed, implanted princesses in the yoga room than in the lifting room. You know, the ones who tell me they refused to lift more than 5lb dumbells because they "will get bulky!" Overnight, even!!!!

The ones who avoid the weight room because sometimes the men smell sweaty.
The ones who tell me they're taking yoga/pilates because they want to get "long, lean muscles"

or maybe our definition of "intelligence" is just different.
 Edsta
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/14/2009 6:39:22 PM
^^^^ Oh, wow. I do notice a definite bias against weightlifting or even running among many yoga folks, but I haven't heard the kind of comments you have.

So no, I think we have similar definitions of "intelligent."

We just go to very different yoga studios, apparently.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2009 8:06:55 PM
Oh, and the old "I want to get a dancer's body!"

To be fair, I have nothing against yoga, as long as the practitioners are realistic about what they are actually getting out of it.
 Edsta
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/14/2009 8:35:21 PM
I think I may be biased because the retreat center where I lived for a year often hosted yoga TEACHER TRAINING workshops---so these were not the average ditsy trophy-wife types (well ok, I admit there were a FEW of those too...hmm, wonder why I didn't seem to mind too much) but dedicated and serious long-time practioners...smart, sensitive, women of substance who were just a pleasure to be around.

The fact that they were mostly VERY attractive and incredibly fit, while spending most of their waking hours in these jaw-dropping yoga pants, didn't hurt either of course.
 Studblac
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 12:37:36 PM
I do pilates and now I am going to start with HATHA YOGA-believe you me I am all man! I just want to connect with all of my mental -spirtual-& physical self.
 flawedbutfun
Msg: 59
Posted: 1/16/2009 5:52:15 AM

For me it's the price, it's just so expensive to take it around where I live. My gym membership is HALF the price of an equivalent yoga class membership. I stretch enough on my own to hopefully maintain my flexibility.

Excellent point. Most yoga studios will charge $120-150 for an unlimited monthly pass. As opposed to a gym like 24HourFitness which usually costs around $30/month. It's the economy of scale thing I guess.

I agree with the above posters. If my gym offered yoga as one of it's FREE classes I would take it. I participate in the Stretching and Core Exercise classes, and those are 90% women. I am a strong strong believer in cross training/flexibiltiy, came to that because of injury...too bad we are not taught that early in our life (benefits of cross training/flexibility)

I don't think it's about masculinity, more about how we learned to exercise growing up. Guys always used weight training, or running, or swimming. I know women that were competitive swimmers growing up that shun Yoga for weight training and they are far from masculine. They too grew up using the pool and weight room for exercise.
 ironangel13
Msg: 60
Posted: 1/16/2009 10:48:56 AM
Well honestly, it could be the mats...I think the mats make them feel girlie or they are afraid to admit they need to use the bricks or strap to assist them with any pose. Similar to the concept of them never asking for directions if they are lost. That's why God created the GPS... okay, enough bashing on the guys...LOL!

Seriously, I have taken yoga and it is not my bag and I am a girl. I do not think it has to do with the difference in sexes. Just simple likes and dislikes. There is one guy at my gym, and all he does is sit in the middle of the floor and gladly does his "Warrior", "Triangle" and "Downward Facing Dog".
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2009 10:43:46 PM
Well, I can say that I tried yoga and didn't particularly care for it. I did, however, start taking a turbo kickboxing class, which is another "girly" class, and I happen to like that a lot.
 Edsta
Msg: 62
Posted: 1/16/2009 11:42:55 PM

I did, however, start taking a turbo kickboxing class, which is another "girly" class, and I happen to like that a lot.

If you get a chance, try a kickboxing class where they have you strike against resistance (hanging bags not those ridiculous Wavemasters that Ballys has, and partners holding Thai pads)...even more fun, cathartic, and calorie-intensive! Also more useful for pragmatic self-defense because you'll get instant painful corrective feedback if you do something like punch with a bent wrist.
 MrSideFace
Msg: 64
Posted: 1/17/2009 8:02:50 AM
I do plan to take a yoga class, & the yoga instructor is male. I hear it's good for concentration which is what I lack.
 geekybroad
Msg: 65
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:47:13 AM
Quote:
Ironically, I know more men involved in yoga than women. Admittedly, one of them is gay, but I'm the one who talked him into it.

I hope you're talking about yoga.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >