Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Why do so few men take part in yoga.?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 shurite48
Msg: 26
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?Page 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

They don't appreciate the benefits.

It takes a bit of intelligence and willingness to engage in things that are good for your body and mind which are more subtle in nature, than weightlifting.

Don't get me wrong, I think weight lifting is a super exercise.

But yoga is very concerned with the mind-body connection. And seems gentle. I'm sure there are men who feel it's not manly.

Don't fool yourself. There are just as many stupid yoga enthusiasts as there are stupid weightlifters.

haha QFT

I find most groups to be representative of the general population. 80% ***holes, 10% idiots, and 10% real people.
 Z2million
Msg: 27
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?
Posted: 10/12/2008 8:03:44 AM

Don't fool yourself. There are just as many stupid yoga enthusiasts as there are stupid weightlifters.

Good Point..............................

One reason is that yoga is not considered..............“Manly”

Personally I’m not into organized classes of any type......I exercise at my own time and pace, hmmmmmm but a room filled with ladies bend over and stretched out in different poses.................does sound appealing.

I have developed my own core stretching routine though the years that can be called yoga........I like to focus on stretching my spine and core body/back muscles.......great for for a healthy spine and great for eliminating any back problems.
 londons_finest
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/12/2008 11:07:13 AM
I would like to try yoga but I'm a little worried i might invent a new pose called pitching the tent ....lol
 sandyhook
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/13/2008 11:09:10 AM
I think one problem we have with yoga is that we're too competitive. It's hard in the beginning when you can't keep up with the women in the class! After 1-2 classes you feel the benfit and you envy and respect your more advanced yoga buddies. BTW, women in yoga classes are typically fit and look pretty damn good!
 EasyRidin
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/13/2008 11:31:05 AM

That had nothing to do with what I said. I meant intelligence as in not having these funny, sometimes macho little misconceptions about yoga.

Whether there are as many idiots in yoga classes as elsewhere is a different question.
 compleat_man
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/14/2008 2:52:58 PM
boys don't like to participate in activities where most of the girls/women are better than they are at it..

get "beaten" by a GIRL? Nooooooooooooooooooo...LOL :)
 crzydriver
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/14/2008 7:15:48 PM
For me it's the price, it's just so expensive to take it around where I live. My gym membership is HALF the price of an equivalent yoga class membership. I stretch enough on my own to hopefully maintain my flexibility.
 cavsoldier88
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/15/2008 7:56:13 PM
I do yoga and I don't find it boring.
 3N0
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/15/2008 8:41:27 PM
I can tell you one thing- it's not from a lack of hot women and lulu lemon!

Eno
 baultista
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2008 9:10:09 AM
Yoga is fine.... I just find yoga classes to be really annoying, so I do it at home in my makeshift gym room AKA the place where we store all of the gimmicky junk equipment my parents bought when I wasn't living here.
 Kazimierz
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/29/2008 7:18:16 AM
I can't speak for other guys but I love doing yoga. I've been practicing for over a year (mostly ashtanga style) and it's great as a physical activity. Plus it lets you tap into your spiritual side if you so choose.

When I first started out I was hesitant because I viewed it as mostly a women's activity. I didnt' know much about it and I didn't want to seem like I was doing it to pick up women. Then I came in contact with some great instructors (both male and female) and showed me what yoga is really about. Once I started doing it and noticing improvements then I really got into it.

One should point out there are a lot of different styles of yoga which range from meditation focused to more vigorous physical workouts. Also, finding a studio with great instructors will affect your perception of it.

For guys who are thinking of trying it, I suggest to go to an intro ashtanga class. This style of yoga is more physical and can be great just as a fitness workout. However, if you do it more often you will realize it's more than just a fitness class.
 Halberd1216
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/30/2008 6:31:55 PM
Time management and practical use is the reason why i would not entertain the idea of doing Yoga for me i suppose.

I do physical training that is of use in my proffession, this involves hill training/jogging/weights and a lot of cross training like circuts.Being able to place my feet behind my ears is of little benefit in my job.....being able to run while carrying weight is.
 justlooken01
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/31/2008 8:03:25 AM
I can only speak for myself but here’s how I came to include Yoga and Pilates as an integral part of my workout regime.

Like a lot of guys, I used to focus on programs that involved weights with some sort of cardio thrown in. After years of doing what I thought was a good thing, I tore some muscles in my shoulder. While troubleshooting what had happened, I discovered that my routine was severely lacking in the area of addressing my core muscles. After the surgeon reattached my infra-spanatus and supra-spanatus and I completed the physical therapy, I was of course intent on not having a recurrence. My troubleshooting had led me to recognize that I was focusing too much on the mirror muscles and neglecting my core muscles. To fix that I started doing Pilates that led to doing Yoga as well. Now I do Pilates, Yoga, weights and all the other outdoor activities I’ve always enjoyed. Personally, I find the mix to be the best solution for me. Too much of any one thing is usually not a good thing.

That’s how I came to recognize the benefits of Yoga and Pilates. Had I known what I know now, I would have mixed it up from the start. I think our education in the area of diet and exercise is sorely lacking, or it was in my case.

So now I take my mat to the Yoga/Pilates class and yes, I’m typically the token male. Doesn’t bother me though. It’s fun to hear some of the conversations that take place when the class forgets that there’s a guy in the back of the room.
 Shibui_Man
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/31/2008 10:14:49 AM
i must be in the minority....

it's a perception thing, i think. people gravitate towards what they are comfortable with. i have a yoga routine that is a very tough workout, for sure! even knowing the benefits, i still avoid it. the same holds true for those pesky isometric squats!
 tequillajim
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/31/2008 10:40:05 AM
I believe everyone needs a well balanced workout with a weight training Cardio as well as martial arts of some kind and yes Yoga . After all you have to train the mind to train your muscles , and Yoga is a great way to do this ;)

Have a great day ;)
 Jenp808
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2008 10:09:51 AM
i guess i'm a little conventional but i would really prefer my son stick with baseball, football, fishing and bow shooting. yoga is a little feminine. and yes, no matter how hard some feminist try and fight it we are still biologically hard wired to be male or female.

i think yoga may be too calm and serene for a lot of men. i noticed when i used to box and work out with all men that they hardly ever stretched. even my sons sports coaches do as brief a stretching session as possible. i think it may just bore a lot of guys. men (most anyway, but of course there are exceptions) are hardwired towards more aggresive, physically demanding and active sports.

afterall, why aren't there that many female football players? probably as many men doing yoga as there are women who play football.
 Jenp808
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2008 10:11:39 AM
:::londons finest said::: "I would like to try yoga but I'm a little worried i might invent a new pose called pitching the tent"

smileee4u
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/1/2008 6:32:57 PM
The only man I know who does yoga is a Catholic Priest.
 Barbe1963
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2008 4:01:37 PM
I take a yoga class every Saturday morning, and there are actually quite a few guys in the class. Not as many as there are women, but usually 6-7 every week. Yesterday, right in front of me, a very fine looking man was doing his yoga practice, and I had a hard time concentrating on my own practice every time he moved in to the Downward facing dog pose. Dammit!!!!
 beachboi!
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/2/2008 8:12:00 PM
Why do so few women do weights? Resistance exercise is the best way to firm up, tone and condition your body. I see a lot of women in the gym caught in the vicious circle of over cardio and over dieting which can actually have adverse effects -- a loss of muscle tissue, turning you into what is known as a fat skinny. A body which is thin but flabby .
 beachboi!
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/3/2008 10:37:24 PM
i would give it a try just for a laugh, but the yoga room at fitness first smells.
 David_10019
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2008 7:56:40 PM
I would do Yoga... but I would feel very out of place.

I find it somewhat easier to focus on what I'm doing when I'm not surrounded by athletic women in crazy poses (maybe its just me).
 HotSurfer3
Msg: 48
Posted: 11/5/2008 10:24:10 PM
I always thought yoga was just for women. I am a runner, surfer, and do a couple triathlons a year. Last year I damaged my back working as bussr to food runner for two years. It put a halt on all my sports activities that I love to do, and also had to quit my job. I had no insurance ( mistakenly), didnt really want to spend the money to see a doctor , since all i would get is pain killers, which I won't put in my mouth. A friend recomended yoga, and I decided to give it a try. I bought a few surf yoga movies. I did not feel comfortable going to a classes surrounded with women not feeling welcomed. Its been a year and I still do it 3-4 times a week and worked wonders on my back. It strengthened my back in a painless way, and helped my physical ability tremendously.My surfing improved more in one year than all 7 years I been surfing.But I do yoga on my own personal time at home, and my tv is my instructor. I'm not sure if i should attend to a class being a lone man akwardly, but again I could be surrounded by beautiful women, single hopefully!
 HotSurfer3
Msg: 49
Posted: 11/5/2008 10:29:18 PM
I always thought yoga was just for women. I am a runner, surfer, and do a couple triathlons a year. Last year I damaged my back working as bussr to food runner for two years. It put a halt on all my sports activities that I love to do, and also had to quit my job. I had no insurance ( mistakenly), didnt really want to spend the money to see a doctor , since all i would get is pain killers, which I won't put in my mouth. A friend recomended yoga, and I decided to give it a try. I bought a few surf yoga movies. I did not feel comfortable going to a classes surrounded with women not feeling welcomed. Its been a year and I still do it 3-4 times a week and worked wonders on my back. It strengthened my back in a painless way, and helped my physical ability tremendously.Even made me mentally stronger in running longer and faster.My surfing improved more in one year than all 7 years I been surfing.But I do yoga on my own personal time at home, and my tv is my instructor. I'm not sure if i should attend to a class being a lone man akwardly, but again I could be surrounded by beautiful women, single hopefully!
 Infinity Mine
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/12/2009 10:43:08 PM
Well...following the trend here...I guess it's because men who need some physical therapy are the minority....I use it to replace a BORING stretching regime that I really should do every day....

With yoga I get the stretch and increased balance...and don't kid yourself...some poses are damn challenging and require LOTS of core strength....

...then there's increased energy factor...I don't know for sure....but I think that some poses really help to restore your subtle energies....

...and for any guy who thinks it's not "manly" enough...try incorporating it in your strength training....here's how....go on youtube to find out how to do a proper yoga handstand against the wall....when you finally have the proper core strength to get up there gracefully....hold it for a while then see how many pushups you can do.....

....that's REAL strength training....half the guys in the gym who do strength training are really just there to make their muscles look pretty....get off the benches and pulleys and start swinging from the bars....your core will thank you.....
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Why do so few men take part in yoga.?