Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Why do so few men take part in yoga.?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dr. Gazebo
Msg: 76
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?Page 4 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I think men are too stuck on being the fastest, the bestest, the strongest, the greatest.

Yoga isnt about that.

When men face a problem they apply more force.

Face it, most men are bears with furniture. And women love that in them. Until women let men be something other than a big rock creature who grunts and follows commands, it will be this way.

So go find your cave man and enjoy him dragging you around by your hair. First you insist men act like baboons to win your affections, then you wonder why they wont go to yoga?

Make up your minds gals. Do you want Fred Flintstone or Mahatma Ghandi?
 Indestructible23
Msg: 77
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?
Posted: 2/12/2009 1:47:48 PM
'bestest?' Wow.
 liftinand lovin
Msg: 78
Posted: 2/12/2009 2:18:13 PM
I don't do any classes don't have a set time I amke it into the gym. Depending on what movement not that flexable. I mostly lift hard heavy and intense hence yoga is not what I personally enjoy.
 hatemycelly
Msg: 79
Posted: 2/12/2009 3:06:51 PM
Well I enjoy the sun salutations. I started yoga to accent my fitness during winter months. No I dont go to classes because ya its a 'girl-thing' and being a guy that is single and looking for a woman. I dont really want to be painted with the gay brush.

j
 Infinity Mine
Msg: 80
Posted: 2/12/2009 5:06:47 PM

No I dont go to classes because ya its a 'girl-thing' and being a guy that is single and looking for a woman. I dont really want to be painted with the gay brush.

Holy smokes...that's some backwards logic...you're single and looking for a woman...but you don't want to put yourself in a room with a bunch of women that enjoy the same thing you do....

Women won't think you're gay....they'll think you're admirable for doing what you wanna do and not giving a f*ck what anyone else thinks....
 hatemycelly
Msg: 81
Posted: 2/12/2009 6:24:42 PM
well, I never said I was logical.

j
 Sultry11
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2009 11:37:01 PM
Have found that quite a few men participate in Bikram yoga but not other types.
 ZenBeth
Msg: 83
Posted: 4/14/2009 11:52:07 PM
Around here in Northern California where I live most yoga classes have men and some are taught by men. Perhaps its because the area is rich with college/university folk and thus better educated, well traveled populace. Which means they have been exposed to yoga in many countries and also appreciate eastern meets western medicine.

~Beth~
 itechman63
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2009 9:47:56 AM
Personally I'd enjoy taking a yoga class for it's benefits in balance, flexibility, and mental focus but I believe the nearest one to me is an hour away in a time zone an hour ahead. It just seems to me that with the physical and mental benefits of Yoga, that everything you do you would do better. Basically an overall foundation for everything that you do.
 DJKasper1981
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2009 2:47:21 PM
If you ever notice all the guys that do try yoga are usually older also. I for one never wanted to try yoga until I was around 26. Then it was just for something new to do. Although when I did try it I found it a very good workout. Even tho when I started I felt very weird about it. To me it a good warm up to wightlifting workout or good for after.

I'd recommend it for any guy who would like his stretching to be more intresting & tiring.
 Dr. Gazebo
Msg: 86
Posted: 4/15/2009 9:32:48 PM
Its the same with hip hop classes. One dude. 30 women.
 crazy4mars
Msg: 87
Posted: 4/15/2009 11:26:05 PM
It seems like we are unindated with a ton of yoga studios around here if your really serious you can go to a yoga boot camp. There are several different types of yoga and several modified versions of poses for every level. You can go expensive (private studios) or go cheap (community college, parks & rec. ctrs.) Yoga can change your body drastically. I have seen womens bodies thin out and elongate where they look taller and stronger. I work with athletes men/women who see the value of muscles support bones to create a strong flexible body. I know more men that do yoga than women. My women clients tend to move more towards pilates/ballet.
Men are always crabbing about not meeting women...well guys...go where the girls are...put on your t-shirt & sweats and take a yoga class.
 Sultry11
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2009 11:34:16 PM
"Yoga will NOT give you instant gratification, it takes a while. It does help with stretching, something we all need. It's not the answer to everything but it's an integral part of your well being. As a runner, I appreciate the benefit of many yoga poses and I recommend it to anyone who cares to listen lol"

I have found yoga harder than a lot of other "classes" I have taken. It doesn't just help with stretching but all over muscle strength, flexibility and if you do Bikram both physical and mental strength and stamina. The benefits of yoga are plenty not just "stretching".
 GottaDanse
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 1:06:50 AM
May be the same reason so many men refuse to dance.
 Peripheral Visionary
Msg: 90
Posted: 4/16/2009 2:35:47 AM
OK. So, a few weeks back I was wandering, and came upon a couple trying to manhandle a large box out of their car. Well, one was trying, the other was encouraging. I offered to help, and we took the thing to their to their yoga studio, and they told me they offer a free introductory class.

I replied that while I understood the benefits of yoga, and even do some exercises that are shamelessly stolen from it, I'd found the metaphysical aspect of it both unavoidable and unpalatable.

They laughed and laughed, and one of them said "Oh, don't worry, it's not like we're chanting chakras all night or anything. Come on down. We call it Karma Night."

And I said to her, I said "See? You lost me, right there."

I won't speak for men in general, because there's enough generalisations and cliches floating around, but for my part, that, in a nutshell is why I don't do yoga.
 OpenBSD
Msg: 91
Posted: 4/16/2009 3:41:16 AM
Qigong is better anyways you don't have those crazy posture that yoga. More like the lines of tai chi.
 ZenBeth
Msg: 92
Posted: 4/16/2009 12:58:00 PM
Statistically men who do yoga are better educated and better off financially, and as such very much manly me. But then they also know that the brain is the major sex organ. NY Giants , Benglas, 49ers, Denver Broncos have yoga classes and the Seattle Seahawks for hot yoga. Now there is a work out!

~Beth~
 Edsta
Msg: 93
Posted: 4/17/2009 8:47:33 AM

May be the same reason so many men refuse to dance.

I beg to differ: some of us are born with zero rhythm and find it impossible to acquire any...even with tangible and juicy sexual rewards thrown into the equation.

Yoga on the other hand, is something anyone can learn and improve at!

El_Mariachi
Msg: 94
Posted: 4/18/2009 9:07:41 PM
Because it looks freaking funny?

I only do it because it's insanely relaxing (even though it's hard - I'm a beginner) and because I think my posture blows, which leads me to some pain. The yoga seems to kill the pain.

I don't think men want to relax when exercising. Sometimes women do.
 my happiness
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2009 10:54:06 PM
Because its just stuff women do, like nitting and shopping for shoes
 Edsta
Msg: 96
Posted: 4/30/2009 4:14:52 PM
Several posters on this thread desperately need to read this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ed-and-deb-shapiro/why-is-yoga-so-misunderst_b_191698.html

DH Guy
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2009 10:34:14 PM
1. Same reason most men don't do ballet.

2. Antomically not as flexabale as females, so were unable to hold some of the poses. And yes, we can tell your snickering, although your holding a straight face!

3. We don't like the dirty looks, or the uncomfortable posturing that goes on when were positioned behind you. We can't help it if your hanging out of your clothes, or if you butt is in our line of vision. We don't intentionally look....at least not always.

4.We have more sensitive parts, that usually need repositioning for comfort, or from falling out of our shorts, and you girls get grossed out and offended when we do.

5. Men fart. We don't mind (isn't obvious by now). But we don't like the scowling, and dirty looks we get because of it.

6. Women fart. Women get embarrased, which makes us feel uncomfortable. Or sometimes well just snicker, but it's just out of nervousnous, well not always.

7. You have to get barefooted. Our feet stink! At least that what you always tell us.

8. Your feet stink, but were nice enough not to tell you.

9. Our shorts go up the crack of our b#tts during some of the posses. Were not to fond of the thong feeling, and again you girls get upset when we pick our shorts.

10. The poses are alot harder for men than for women. We don't mind being out done by a woman, we just don't like the hazing we get from our buddies (girl buddies as well. you know it happens!) for having been out done by a woman.

11. We don't like getting labelled as the creepy guy from yoga class. Unless the guy's gay, we always get the stank-eye because you girls think were looking at your butts, up you shorts, or up your shirts, ect. Or only taking the class to pick up women, which is generally true,...and every one knows it, because everyone knows GUYS DON"T DO YOGA!
 Lux Aeternum
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2009 12:26:26 AM
I will go to yoga if my girlfriend wants me to, mainly because it's something we can share. But I do my flexibility in karate class, my strength training in a gym, and my meditation alone.

I might go by myself if I needed to meet someone new...
 strawberry_jam
Msg: 99
Posted: 5/2/2009 4:32:57 AM
An interesting observation, OP.

One reason might be:

probably because of the usual reason so many men are afraid of 'new' or 'different' things, they are DEATHLY afraid it might look "gay"..or "someone" MIGHT 'accuse' them of not being 110% 'straight'..

EGADS! "someone" might question their masulinity/sexuality?

can't have that..must..eat.. raw meat torn off an animal while still alive..and..grunt.. and communicate through mono-syllables ..LOL

I know it's somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but it somehow just doesn't seem to be a guy thing. Sort of like dancing. Culturally, it's not something that we are used to. So if a guy were really clever, he could take up both yoga and ballroom dancing and be a very popular guy indeed.

Regards

M
 Motto_Bella
Msg: 100
Posted: 5/2/2009 4:33:49 AM
Some men think yoga is too feminine for their taste (ego). I had this discussion w/a few of my male friends. The ones who think it's *gay* have never participated (go figure). The others - well, I recruited them to *try it* - (think "child pose"). The good news: They haven't missed a class since! I say, don't knock it until you try it.. then, and only then may you have an opinion about yoga!
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Why do so few men take part in yoga.?