Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 vanamal
Msg: 115
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?Page 5 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
To say we do not appreciate the benefits is not fair, nor is it fair for you to say it takes a bit of INTELLIGENCE and willingness to engage in subtle beneficial acts... Some of us realize weightlifting is only one dimension to achieving our goals, but then we have to think that yoga is similar by nature... you must be connected with your-self to go to the gym, take a class (yoga/cycling/circuit training) or play a sport day or in and out. Your comment definitely opens up the battle ground...

It's not as if men simply go to the gym to grunt and leave haha.... we go to the gym and lift weights because, to attain the goals we desire, lifting weights gets us there faster. As a side note, stretching (or yoga) is often neglected by both genders entirely, while it is highly beneficial for everyone... why do so many people choose not to stretch? Convenience maybe, who knows... Each person is going to have a different answer to/not to stretch, do yoga or anything for that matter. For some yoga is silly, others feel their sexuality is challenged, some see no benefits in taking yoga at all or the benefits of yoga are not relative. Others who take part in yoga feel the benefits are absolute so they take it... IMO this is an impossible question to answer because the root of it is subjective... as time progresses, you will notice a trend that more males are taking yoga classes, even if it is to just meet women haha.
 koolfundad
Msg: 116
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?
Posted: 5/16/2009 8:35:59 AM
Could be that most of us men think that Yoga is for woman and that is easy and then when you actually take a class it kicks their butts. LOL

I know cause thats what I used to think until I did the P90X workout and it has an hour and a 20 minutes of Yoga and it kicked my soory ass....
 TallDarkPassionate
Msg: 117
Posted: 5/16/2009 4:07:38 PM
I've been doing yoga 3 - 4 times a week for over a year now.

Now, I will admit I was very reluctant at first, and only tried it because a woman friend of mine had tried a power spin class that I suggested.

I ended up getting into it though, however often times out of a class of 30 or so, I am the only straight man there. As far as why I think this is, some of it has been pointed out by others:

1. I go to the gym to workout, if I wanted a spiritual experience I'd go to church or a brewery. So, it is a turn off for me when the instructors start bringing a lot of the spiritual side of yoga into class. I can respect the history and heritage of yoga, but most guys aren't going to want the whole mind / body / spirit package deal, and would rather just focus on the fitness benefits that a practice has to offer. Luckily, however, there are plenty of instructors who focus on a more fitness focused workout, and I often work up a good sweat during class.

2. It can be too easy, depending on the instructor. When the class focuses too much on calm breathing, and stretching your neck while seated, it can feel like a waste of time. Once again, just figure out which instructors teach a class geared more towards your style and goals, and you can achieve a good workout doing yoga.

3. It can raise questions about your masculinity. As silly as this sounds, it is true. Like I said, often times I find that I am the only straight guy in the class, however maybe I am just perceiving some of the other guys as gay because they are in a yoga class? Perhaps they perceive me the same way? And who knows what the women in class think? For the most part guys are working out to enhance their masculinity, and maybe they see practicing yoga as counter to this goal.

4. While there may a certain benefit to being one of a few guys in a class full of lithe, toned, fitness oriented women, you have to remember that these are yoga girls, and perceptions run both ways. Guys may avoid yoga because they see the women that practice it as the granola munching, crystal healing, hippie drum circle type, and that may not be their cup of tea. Now, I have met and dated aa few women from my yoga classes, and there is some truth to this stereotype, but of course not all the people in the class are going to fit into this mold, myself included.

I would recommend giving yoga a try in addition to a resistance training and cardio based routine as part of a general fitness regimen, for guys and girls. My only additional advice would to be to try out several different instructors, because the practice can vary wildly depending on who is leading it.
 Edsta
Msg: 118
Posted: 5/17/2009 4:24:57 AM
My only additional advice would to be to try out several different instructors, because the practice can vary wildly depending on who is leading it.

Absolutely true.

The "yoga" taught in most health clubs, esp. the national chain clubs like Ballys and 24HR-Fitness, is a sad sad joke.

If you want to experience REAL yoga, go to a dedicated yoga studio where yoga is their bread and butter, you'll have a much better chance of finding decent instructors.

The most obvious and critical sign of a good yoga instructor: they have you do the same poses over and over, with each pose held for a decent length of time (at least 5 full breaths), and constantly walk around the class to individually correct students' posture.

The lazy/ incompetent teachers will just stay at the front of the room doing ten dozen different poses for ten seconds each while babbling incoherent, woo-woo instructions. It's like they're having their own personal stretching session, and the students are just along for the ride.

And whatever you do, beware of "Flow" yoga classes, where you fly through one pose to another while listening to some hideous New Age or (if you're TRULY unlucky) dance music...if you don't hurt yourself, you'll end up never learning how to do any of the poses with correct form, which means you'll only get a fraction of the potential benefits.
 Vanders Mark
Msg: 119
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:25:48 PM

But it was developing my weak core strength.

When I wasn't "in the know" I would have never guessed in a million years that yoga would reveal major strength inadequacies....found out just how pathetic my core strength was when I attempted a proper hand stand...

Preventing injury isn't on the top of most guys lists when it comes to working out...I tried it out mainly as an alternative therapy for a disability...I'll never go back to passive stretching again....

If you want to experience REAL yoga, go to a dedicated yoga studio where yoga is their bread and butter

I would add that it's also good to look for certifications. The instructors at the studio I go to are certified in the Iyengar method, and I've had a very positive experience there.
 Edsta
Msg: 121
Posted: 5/23/2009 2:23:56 AM
In fact, I'm surprised women do it at all, being so girly!

Men who aren't willing to do it are that way because they don't understand it.

All true.

Yoga began and continues in India as a male-dominated practice.

It's female-dominated in the West (though most of the top yoga instructors are males, interestingly enough) only because the average mainstream-brainwashed Western male is too ignorant and/or insecure to do it.

That sounds harsh, but is simply true.
 crepit
Msg: 122
Posted: 5/23/2009 2:53:09 PM
I like hanging out in the back row taking in the scenery. J/K
 ByronKH
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2009 7:02:30 AM
I did it because of an injury I suffered on the soccer field. It works wonders for strengthening and helping your body as you get older.

Someone mentioned the Power 90x DVDs. I did the yoga DVD but didn't enjoy it much as it seemed a bit to testosterone driven! Tony was a bit too "gung ho" for my liking. However, it was a heck of a good workout.
 jumpingonleaves
Msg: 124
Posted: 5/26/2009 1:46:22 PM
I agree with the "manly" attitude towards yoga. I incorporate yoga into my workout regiment for the flexibility. I've been a bit intimidated by hot yoga because regular yoga is hard enough but it's something I plan on trying soon.
 Sound_Girl
Msg: 126
Posted: 5/27/2009 9:57:16 PM
I do some yoga and pilates on my own at home. I got a few minutes preview of a class at a gym I used to be a part of. It was steel yoga. You think you don't build muscle that way? You're a fool then, haha. I know plenty of people who can lift weights and do reps, but how many of those same people can get in a yoga stance and hold the weights completely steady for 3-5 minutes at a time? It was a lot harder than it looked. I wish the classes at the school gym were free for students like they were originally advertised because I'm poor haha.

Just saying though, it's a misconception that you won't see results, if you stick with it long enough, just like any other form of working out, you will.
 Vanders Mark
Msg: 127
Posted: 5/28/2009 12:48:54 AM

Guys see it rationally and don't like it because it's easier than a real workout and gives less results.

Guys with no control over their ego's don't like it....go ahead...pump up that upper body...lie back on those benches...push them dumbells...one day you'll injure yourself something fierce cause you never work your core....and no....sit ups aren't the best core exercises.....

hehehehehe "REAL" workout... 75% of the guys in the gym have no clue what a real workout is...just a bunch of inflated egos making themselves look pretty....
 agent_ozzy
Msg: 130
Posted: 5/28/2009 9:41:42 AM
I would do yoga but I dont really have the time, and I wouldnt want to do it alone. I never really thought of how many of what sex did yoga.
 JustAManWithAPlan
Msg: 131
Posted: 5/28/2009 12:22:12 PM

I would do yoga but I don't really have the time, and I wouldn't want to do it alone. I never really thought of how many of what sex did yoga.
Get a gym membership, many of them have Yoga and other classes you could take
 JWG86
Msg: 132
Posted: 6/11/2009 3:38:45 PM
I don't do Yoga, but I do Thai Chi. I find it very relaxing, and has a lot in common with several of the fighting styles I have studied, so it is familiar in some ways. It relaxes me and makes me feel calm after a stressful week. I also credit this to my instructor, who is extremely good at maintaining a friendly, calm atmosphere while pressing you to excell at the same time. In fact, I threw up my best 1RM bench-press yesterday after Thai Chi even though I have a cold this week. It helps center me. Although I don't do yoga, I think yoga would have the same result.
 Edsta
Msg: 133
Posted: 6/13/2009 2:25:52 AM

Get a gym membership, many of them have Yoga and other classes you could take

Actually no. The yoga offered at gyms almost always SUCKS. They're over-glorified stretching classes, the teachers are under-qualified, under-motivated and under-trained. A tell-tale sign of an incompetent and/or lazy yoga teacher is that they never walk around to individually correct people's poses...they stay in front of the class the whole time doing their own thing while giving flowery instructions and chanting. Not just useless but DANGEROUS...newbies can easily hurt themselves this way by overstretching or doing poses incorrectly. The "power yoga" or "flow" classes are the worst, you just fly through a bunch of poses half-@ssedly.
 thenextcharlesdera
Msg: 134
Posted: 6/17/2009 1:57:15 PM
yoga is more for toning up which is what most women want to achieve, most of us guys are trying to build mass so we pump iron but yoga isnt bad for adding separation
 JustAManWithAPlan
Msg: 135
Posted: 6/25/2009 8:11:58 PM
Well the instructor of my class never chants and is constantly moving around correcting peoples posture I can't quantify the last part because I have only taken two different yoga classes at the same gym but with different instructors so I can't do any compare and contrast dedicated yoga studio to what's in the average gym or what I have been exposed too but my balance and flexibility have improved greatly by being consistent with the heated power yoga class I take. YMMV I guess
 wl425
Msg: 136
Posted: 6/25/2009 8:57:21 PM
Learn to relax, breathe correctly, and stretch gently. Think of it as more of a recovery session than a workout.

Just remember the whole joint stability-mobility. The more mobile the joint is, the less stability it has. Balance strength and flexibility work, and get the best of both worlds. Using a full range of motion when lifting alone helps with overall flexibility. Find something you like, concentrate heavily on one thing while practicing others lightly, and the gains will come.
 Finallyfeelgood
Msg: 137
Posted: 7/10/2009 2:17:23 PM
I have really enjoyed watching yoga shows and reading books on yoga. Then I find a series of postures that feel right for me & then in a comfortable space at a comfortable pace, breath through the series. During a five week stint I participated in a phsyio strength training workshop to rehabilitate my right rotator cuff & some. So this has been my approach to yoga, moderate, building on the last accomplishment, not chancing incurring any injuries. I have vivid memories of learning some yoga from my Mom when I was three or so back in the seventies when everything was transcendental. ''
 MissaInVA
Msg: 139
Posted: 8/1/2009 4:12:07 AM
There's a yoga class at my gym and about half of them are guys. I've heard a few of them comment about how they always feel like they did a really hard work out afterwards.

*I* don't go to the Yoga class because I'm already doing a different class, and I don't want to spend all my gym time doing classes.
 Vanders Mark
Msg: 141
Posted: 8/1/2009 9:34:19 AM

I've heard a few of them comment about how they always feel like they did a really hard work out afterwards.

Occasionally...the day after a yoga class...my legs will feel just as sore as they would after doing heavy sets of lunges...I guess it helps to have the instructors break out the whip and really push you.....

I credit yoga for giving me the motivation to start strengthening my core properly....
 Some random name
Msg: 142
Posted: 8/1/2009 3:23:03 PM
Alot of the instructors around here are male. Ive tried and just cant get into it, I prefer high intensity/high impact workouts...the kind alot of "experts" recommend against
 winteragain
Msg: 143
Posted: 8/1/2009 7:56:14 PM
Pretty simple. Yoga stretches your muscles out and that's bad news if your goal is strength. This blunts the actin-myosin crossbridge action when a muscle contracts. Your motor neurons also take a hit as well as fiber recruitment so basically yoga makes a man weaker and no one wants to be weaker. It's great for girls because what else would be they doing besides long walks in the park and laundry.
 Vanders Mark
Msg: 144
Posted: 8/2/2009 3:02:56 PM

so basically yoga makes a man weaker and no one wants to be weaker.

So how do you explain the fact that I've added at least 40 lbs to my weighted lunges in the past year...just about as long as I've been doing yoga 3-4 times a week and mainly focus on poses that target the hips and legs.....
 sugania
Msg: 145
Posted: 8/2/2009 8:39:53 PM
We have only three regular participants to the gym yoga classes mind two of them r professional hockey players ...not weak men extremely strong and powerful men actually...mind it always depends on the type of yoga ur practicing and of course whos teaching the class. My teacher is a maniac(i love that) ive actually had sessions where my yoga class was harder to complete than my kung fu session..
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >