Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Why do so few men take part in yoga.?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sound_Girl
Msg: 126
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?Page 6 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I do some yoga and pilates on my own at home. I got a few minutes preview of a class at a gym I used to be a part of. It was steel yoga. You think you don't build muscle that way? You're a fool then, haha. I know plenty of people who can lift weights and do reps, but how many of those same people can get in a yoga stance and hold the weights completely steady for 3-5 minutes at a time? It was a lot harder than it looked. I wish the classes at the school gym were free for students like they were originally advertised because I'm poor haha.

Just saying though, it's a misconception that you won't see results, if you stick with it long enough, just like any other form of working out, you will.
 Vanders Mark
Msg: 127
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?
Posted: 5/28/2009 12:48:54 AM

Guys see it rationally and don't like it because it's easier than a real workout and gives less results.

Guys with no control over their ego's don't like it....go ahead...pump up that upper body...lie back on those benches...push them dumbells...one day you'll injure yourself something fierce cause you never work your core....and no....sit ups aren't the best core exercises.....

hehehehehe "REAL" workout... 75% of the guys in the gym have no clue what a real workout is...just a bunch of inflated egos making themselves look pretty....
 carrickknot
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 6:57:51 AM

Guys see it rationally and don't like it because it's easier than a real workout and gives less results.

A session in yoga is as difficult as the degree of effort you put in.

What is a "real" workout?
And what "results" are you expecting?

Yoga gives the results of yoga. Weights give the results of weights. Running gives the results of running. No, you can't expect a great degree of size change with yoga if you train with heavy resistance. But you can certainly get more tone, balance, and innervation of entire groups through yoga.

And if you don't find it difficult, you're probably going to where you sorta feel stretched, but just stop and sit there staring at some babe. There is no end point in perfecting each asana. If you truly ARE so advanced that you're a master in every posture and can transcend, then please, Yogi, teach me!
 carrickknot
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 8:35:39 AM
Okay, here's a comparison to consider...

Finding a yoga session easy means you aren't working to your own potential, just like if you train in the gym, but use weight lighter than makes you put in the effort. So it's like if I go to the gym and press 150 for 5 reps, when I'm actually able to press 225 for 5, then coming out and saying resistance training with weights is too easy and "for girls." I recommend guys focus on the physical part of yoga and see if they can master it. At some point along the way, if it's a little bit funny - that feeling inside - then maybe your Spirit is awakening as well. If not, so what?...

But I'd challenge ANY guy who has never been to yoga before. You think it's easy? Let's meet in L.A., and we're going to take a session with Bikram Choudry. 104F, 65%+ humidity, 90 minutes with one of the least sensitive Yogis you might ever meet, and we're gonna tell him that you think yoga is easy, and better for women.

If you make it through the session, and he's impressed by you, then I'll pay for your whole trip!
 agent_ozzy
Msg: 130
Posted: 5/28/2009 9:41:42 AM
I would do yoga but I dont really have the time, and I wouldnt want to do it alone. I never really thought of how many of what sex did yoga.
 JustAManWithAPlan
Msg: 131
Posted: 5/28/2009 12:22:12 PM

I would do yoga but I don't really have the time, and I wouldn't want to do it alone. I never really thought of how many of what sex did yoga.
Get a gym membership, many of them have Yoga and other classes you could take
 JWG86
Msg: 132
Posted: 6/11/2009 3:38:45 PM
I don't do Yoga, but I do Thai Chi. I find it very relaxing, and has a lot in common with several of the fighting styles I have studied, so it is familiar in some ways. It relaxes me and makes me feel calm after a stressful week. I also credit this to my instructor, who is extremely good at maintaining a friendly, calm atmosphere while pressing you to excell at the same time. In fact, I threw up my best 1RM bench-press yesterday after Thai Chi even though I have a cold this week. It helps center me. Although I don't do yoga, I think yoga would have the same result.
 Edsta
Msg: 133
Posted: 6/13/2009 2:25:52 AM

Get a gym membership, many of them have Yoga and other classes you could take

Actually no. The yoga offered at gyms almost always SUCKS. They're over-glorified stretching classes, the teachers are under-qualified, under-motivated and under-trained. A tell-tale sign of an incompetent and/or lazy yoga teacher is that they never walk around to individually correct people's poses...they stay in front of the class the whole time doing their own thing while giving flowery instructions and chanting. Not just useless but DANGEROUS...newbies can easily hurt themselves this way by overstretching or doing poses incorrectly. The "power yoga" or "flow" classes are the worst, you just fly through a bunch of poses half-@ssedly.
 thenextcharlesdera
Msg: 134
Posted: 6/17/2009 1:57:15 PM
yoga is more for toning up which is what most women want to achieve, most of us guys are trying to build mass so we pump iron but yoga isnt bad for adding separation
 chili68
Msg: 135
Posted: 6/17/2009 4:25:06 PM
I took yoga class for a while, but I kind of felt uncomfortable vibes from some of the women being the only man in the room.

I'm not interested in having HUGE muscles on my top half and skinny little legs like a lot of guys, so i practice yoga on my own now. it doesn't build you up as much as tone your muscles.
 JustAManWithAPlan
Msg: 136
Posted: 6/25/2009 8:11:58 PM
Well the instructor of my class never chants and is constantly moving around correcting peoples posture I can't quantify the last part because I have only taken two different yoga classes at the same gym but with different instructors so I can't do any compare and contrast dedicated yoga studio to what's in the average gym or what I have been exposed too but my balance and flexibility have improved greatly by being consistent with the heated power yoga class I take. YMMV I guess
 wl425
Msg: 137
Posted: 6/25/2009 8:57:21 PM
Learn to relax, breathe correctly, and stretch gently. Think of it as more of a recovery session than a workout.

Just remember the whole joint stability-mobility. The more mobile the joint is, the less stability it has. Balance strength and flexibility work, and get the best of both worlds. Using a full range of motion when lifting alone helps with overall flexibility. Find something you like, concentrate heavily on one thing while practicing others lightly, and the gains will come.
 Finallyfeelgood
Msg: 138
Posted: 7/10/2009 2:17:23 PM
I have really enjoyed watching yoga shows and reading books on yoga. Then I find a series of postures that feel right for me & then in a comfortable space at a comfortable pace, breath through the series. During a five week stint I participated in a phsyio strength training workshop to rehabilitate my right rotator cuff & some. So this has been my approach to yoga, moderate, building on the last accomplishment, not chancing incurring any injuries. I have vivid memories of learning some yoga from my Mom when I was three or so back in the seventies when everything was transcendental. ''
 trr10
Msg: 139
Posted: 8/1/2009 3:07:07 AM
I do yoga, I actually enjoy it. I keeps my flexible which I need for sport and is something I wouldn't do on my own.

Put it this way, my old university football (soccer) team thought they were real tough guys, then they were destroyed by a basic half hour yoga session. Most of them could barely walk out.

The only problem I get is people think I'm a homosexual.
 MissaInVA
Msg: 140
Posted: 8/1/2009 4:12:07 AM
There's a yoga class at my gym and about half of them are guys. I've heard a few of them comment about how they always feel like they did a really hard work out afterwards.

*I* don't go to the Yoga class because I'm already doing a different class, and I don't want to spend all my gym time doing classes.
 xzanthius
Msg: 141
Posted: 8/1/2009 7:07:30 AM
I was an instructor for 10 years. 75 to 85% of my students were women... but... almost without fail, everytime a guy joined the group he would come and tell me afterwards that he had no idea that Yoga could be so challenging.

The reason why most men shun Yoga is that most men do not get that exercise should work more than just the musculature. Women are more in touch with their bodies and recognize that beauty comes from health (shiny eyes, radiant skin...), not from big muscles.
 Vanders Mark
Msg: 142
Posted: 8/1/2009 9:34:19 AM

I've heard a few of them comment about how they always feel like they did a really hard work out afterwards.

Occasionally...the day after a yoga class...my legs will feel just as sore as they would after doing heavy sets of lunges...I guess it helps to have the instructors break out the whip and really push you.....

I credit yoga for giving me the motivation to start strengthening my core properly....
 Some random name
Msg: 143
Posted: 8/1/2009 3:23:03 PM
Alot of the instructors around here are male. Ive tried and just cant get into it, I prefer high intensity/high impact workouts...the kind alot of "experts" recommend against
 winteragain
Msg: 144
Posted: 8/1/2009 7:56:14 PM
Pretty simple. Yoga stretches your muscles out and that's bad news if your goal is strength. This blunts the actin-myosin crossbridge action when a muscle contracts. Your motor neurons also take a hit as well as fiber recruitment so basically yoga makes a man weaker and no one wants to be weaker. It's great for girls because what else would be they doing besides long walks in the park and laundry.
 Vanders Mark
Msg: 145
Posted: 8/2/2009 3:02:56 PM

so basically yoga makes a man weaker and no one wants to be weaker.

So how do you explain the fact that I've added at least 40 lbs to my weighted lunges in the past year...just about as long as I've been doing yoga 3-4 times a week and mainly focus on poses that target the hips and legs.....
 sugania
Msg: 146
Posted: 8/2/2009 8:39:53 PM
We have only three regular participants to the gym yoga classes mind two of them r professional hockey players ...not weak men extremely strong and powerful men actually...mind it always depends on the type of yoga ur practicing and of course whos teaching the class. My teacher is a maniac(i love that) ive actually had sessions where my yoga class was harder to complete than my kung fu session..
 MissaInVA
Msg: 147
Posted: 8/3/2009 6:34:55 AM

It's great for girls because what else would be they doing besides long walks in the park and laundry.

Do what? We need a middle finger icon because this guy has it coming.
 whothehellknows
Msg: 148
Posted: 8/3/2009 8:49:20 AM
Yoga is a bit like the cross trainer at the gym. A lot of guys think it's more of a woman's thing. A man doing a 'woman's thing' = gay. Basically.

I wouldn't say most men think it is gay, but just one of those feminine things. I don't know much about Yoga so take my comments in that perspective, but it seems to be more about just the exercise. Most guys just want to work out, not get in touch with our inner self, meditation, bonding., etc.

Kind of like the self help section at a book store.... There are aisles devoted to female self help topics, the male section takes up a bottom shelf somewhere. Does it mean guys can't benefit from it (Yoga & self help books)? No, just not something guys would normally do on their own.
 TheDao
Msg: 149
Posted: 8/5/2009 8:59:50 AM

Don't fool yourself. There are just as many stupid yoga enthusiasts as there are stupid weightlifters.

You shouldn't talk about yourself that way :P
 capegardengirl
Msg: 150
Posted: 8/5/2009 11:38:55 AM
freezabird illustrates how homophobia is really entrenched in the minds of many guys who wont look at yoga.
I see the same thing in my class...1 or 2 men surrounded by 15 women...my husband takes yoga, but then, he spent the first 11 years of his life in Israel and wasnt indoctrinated by the macho culture in the US....thank goodness.....the "wuss factor" is very strong among men here.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Why do so few men take part in yoga.?