Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Vanders Mark
Msg: 141
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?Page 6 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

I've heard a few of them comment about how they always feel like they did a really hard work out afterwards.

Occasionally...the day after a yoga class...my legs will feel just as sore as they would after doing heavy sets of lunges...I guess it helps to have the instructors break out the whip and really push you.....

I credit yoga for giving me the motivation to start strengthening my core properly....
 Some random name
Msg: 142
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?
Posted: 8/1/2009 3:23:03 PM
Alot of the instructors around here are male. Ive tried and just cant get into it, I prefer high intensity/high impact workouts...the kind alot of "experts" recommend against
 winteragain
Msg: 143
Posted: 8/1/2009 7:56:14 PM
Pretty simple. Yoga stretches your muscles out and that's bad news if your goal is strength. This blunts the actin-myosin crossbridge action when a muscle contracts. Your motor neurons also take a hit as well as fiber recruitment so basically yoga makes a man weaker and no one wants to be weaker. It's great for girls because what else would be they doing besides long walks in the park and laundry.
 Vanders Mark
Msg: 144
Posted: 8/2/2009 3:02:56 PM

so basically yoga makes a man weaker and no one wants to be weaker.

So how do you explain the fact that I've added at least 40 lbs to my weighted lunges in the past year...just about as long as I've been doing yoga 3-4 times a week and mainly focus on poses that target the hips and legs.....
 sugania
Msg: 145
Posted: 8/2/2009 8:39:53 PM
We have only three regular participants to the gym yoga classes mind two of them r professional hockey players ...not weak men extremely strong and powerful men actually...mind it always depends on the type of yoga ur practicing and of course whos teaching the class. My teacher is a maniac(i love that) ive actually had sessions where my yoga class was harder to complete than my kung fu session..
 MissaInVA
Msg: 146
Posted: 8/3/2009 6:34:55 AM

It's great for girls because what else would be they doing besides long walks in the park and laundry.

Do what? We need a middle finger icon because this guy has it coming.
 whothehellknows
Msg: 147
Posted: 8/3/2009 8:49:20 AM
Yoga is a bit like the cross trainer at the gym. A lot of guys think it's more of a woman's thing. A man doing a 'woman's thing' = gay. Basically.

I wouldn't say most men think it is gay, but just one of those feminine things. I don't know much about Yoga so take my comments in that perspective, but it seems to be more about just the exercise. Most guys just want to work out, not get in touch with our inner self, meditation, bonding., etc.

Kind of like the self help section at a book store.... There are aisles devoted to female self help topics, the male section takes up a bottom shelf somewhere. Does it mean guys can't benefit from it (Yoga & self help books)? No, just not something guys would normally do on their own.
 TheDao
Msg: 148
Posted: 8/5/2009 8:59:50 AM

Don't fool yourself. There are just as many stupid yoga enthusiasts as there are stupid weightlifters.

You shouldn't talk about yourself that way :P
 capegardengirl
Msg: 149
Posted: 8/5/2009 11:38:55 AM
freezabird illustrates how homophobia is really entrenched in the minds of many guys who wont look at yoga.
I see the same thing in my class...1 or 2 men surrounded by 15 women...my husband takes yoga, but then, he spent the first 11 years of his life in Israel and wasnt indoctrinated by the macho culture in the US....thank goodness.....the "wuss factor" is very strong among men here.
 capegardengirl
Msg: 150
Posted: 8/5/2009 11:42:43 AM
winteragain...you are so off base regarding yoga not increasing ones strength.
Many, if not most stretches actually make one stronger....Ive been doing yoga for over 5 years and my strength and endurance have both been permanently increased.
Your comment indicates the need to get educated about what is...not by watching TV or popular Western culture about it or talking to your buddies about it who have never done it...
 capegardengirl
Msg: 151
Posted: 8/5/2009 11:49:20 AM
adistar...no competent yoga teachers asks you to hyper extend your muscles or spine...In fact, most tell you this is something you should NOT do.,,, My yoga teacher is constantly reminding us NOT to do this
Weight training for strength and flexibility is not any better for you and your joints than yoga.
In fact, weight training alone is more likely to cause injuries whereas a yoga teacher guilding you thru the moves and ensuring safety is actually much better for you and your joints and spine..
 dogle0072
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2009 12:27:49 PM
I'm from a community that must be the exception from the norm. I've seen many men taking yoga classes. I am a man and I teach Tai Chi classes. However, for the most part, women outnumber men in my classes. I don't think men see it as a viable form of exercise, meaning "no pain no gain" or you have to sweat or it doesn't count. I'm hear to tell you, we sweat in my classes.

Their is also the spiritual aspect of both yoga and Tai Chi. Men don't seem as anxious to explore there inner selves. They also debunk the theory that there is more to life than what you see.
 Edsta
Msg: 153
Posted: 8/5/2009 2:01:59 PM

he spent the first 11 years of his life in Israel and wasnt indoctrinated by the macho culture in the US

Interesting. During the six weeks I once spent in Israel, I thought Israeli guys were hugely macho. Part of the "warrior culture" of mandatory military service, being liable to die at any time...or so that's what a couple of them told me.

They certainly drive like maniacs. Though still not as bad as in Arab countries of course.
 wl425
Msg: 154
Posted: 8/5/2009 9:27:30 PM

Weight training for strength and flexibility is not any better for you and your joints than yoga.
In fact, weight training alone is more likely to cause injuries whereas a yoga teacher guilding you thru the moves and ensuring safety is actually much better for you and your joints and spine..

Any activity has the potential to cause injury, although the individual is highly the cause of this due to overloading, progressing too soon.

Nothing is the be all, end all of fitness. However, what makes you think someone skilled in yoga can do a one legged squat weighted? How about muscleups or handstand pushups performed in gymnastics? The list goes on. Most won't be able to unless they have weighttraining/bodyweight training experience under their belt. A joint without strength is useless. Planning on doing full splits without resistance training? Say hello to joint instability and mulitiple groin, hamstring, and hip flexor issues you will have.

The body needs a balance of strength and flexibility. Too much flexibility in a joint is just as bad as too little flexibility. The key is a happy medium. Strengthen what needs to be strengthened, stretch what needs to be stretched. Don't overdo things, and the gains in those ares will come!!!!
 Vanders Mark
Msg: 155
Posted: 8/5/2009 10:07:50 PM

The body needs a balance of strength and flexibility.

You know it...one day I might walk into a yoga class with a weight vest on...
 Ependa
Msg: 156
Posted: 8/6/2009 1:18:53 AM
where I go, Bikram Yoga, I'd say it's average 25% men...some classes are half men. In India, yoga is prescribed as preventative and corrective treament and it is far more common than the west.
Not to be mean, but often the 'macho men' are the ones that are curled up in a corner before class is half through...that's okay though..some of them stick with it.
 AznxWater
Msg: 157
Posted: 8/7/2009 6:42:10 PM
i take part in yoga. im horrible right now, but in a few months. i should be able to do it very well. only started like 3 weeks ago. only 2 sessions a week for an hour each session
 VakyxClone
Msg: 158
Posted: 8/9/2009 8:54:08 PM
Ive wrestled for as long ive done yoga. People see them as different. I see it as one. One is more active and one is passive, representing two sides of the same coin.

Yoga is relaxing and fighting is also relaxing. One harmonizes your body with gravity, the other adds the gravity of another individual. Through the same posture and transitions, you reach a level of maturity between your mind,body and the world.

People wont see it that way, they need to break apart concepts, and try to make it stand alone, making it lose its original intent. Let them live and learn.
 capegardengirl
Msg: 159
Posted: 8/10/2009 1:41:53 PM
"Do overdo things and the gains in those areas will come"
"The body needs a balance of strength and flexibility"
Exackly...Most yoga teachers say this all the time in classes and demonstrate how to do that...
Thats what I already said....A yoga teacher guiding one thru that and cautioning how to make that balance will say all that is the key and much better than simple weight lighting alone without that guidance.
 TheDao
Msg: 160
Posted: 8/10/2009 7:01:40 PM
I do falun gong so there's no point is doing yoga.
 thatnickguy
Msg: 161
Posted: 8/13/2009 7:53:28 AM
Personally, I love it. There's a DVD that I use at home that, by the end of the eighty minutes, I'm drenching in sweat. To say that this great exercise is for women only is ridiculous, because it's a great workout.
 chris0corp
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 3:25:32 PM
Stretching and yoga is good for you. The problem is most guys that are into fitness are into weight lifting. A male is genetically bigger in the chest area while women are bigger in the hips. I am into weight lifting and keeping shape. The problem is that I work 8 hours a day, take care of my house, go to the grocery, surf the internet, take care of my cats, etc. I do not have the time in the day to do stretches or yoga.

Chris
 Vanders Mark
Msg: 163
Posted: 11/12/2009 11:38:18 PM
One of the main goals of anybody who's halfway serious about yoga is to be unaffected by the fluctuations of the mind...in other words...mental & emotional stability & balance....

If you ask me...I'd say that's the pinnacle of masculinity
 Edsta
Msg: 164
Posted: 11/13/2009 3:27:12 AM

One of the main goals of anybody who's halfway serious about yoga is to be unaffected by the fluctuations of the mind..

Yes! It's commonly referred to as "equanimity" in the yogic and Buddhist traditions.

Basically the opposite of the drama queens that most yoga-disparaging, self-proclaimed "masculine" men actually are, LOL.

RickyGR
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2009 10:28:14 AM
I have a couple of yoga dvd's. The reason I don't do them is because it kicks my ass. Holding positions is just torture. I prefer Pilates where you are always moving. I'm sure if I worked at it a while I could get the yoga down. Nothing unmanly about having a strong core.

The reason I wouldn't do a class is because I know I'd suck at it.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >