Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kpooks
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?Page 8 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I was just going to say that...a tendency for the twig and berries to fall out when doing those splits. Plus an obnoxious tendency to not hold back the farts...
 Vanders Mark
Msg: 193
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?
Posted: 12/4/2009 10:42:05 PM

That's why it's often not a good idea to do Yoga just before bed, but at least a couple of hours before going to sleep.

When I first started doing yoga, I noticed that shift in my energy level. Now I do my full session almost every night before bed, and I find I sleep better when I do yoga. You know why? I've really been working on calming the mind in my savasana.

A lot of what you're saying makes sense, but it sounds like you're trying too hard to convince me that yoga is better. It's not better or worse than pull ups and pushups, it's just different. Yes, the tortoise gains a lot more ground but sometimes, in the real world we need short bursts of explosive strength. The tortoise never conditions his body for that. Just like when I go to a class and we do a pose I don't regularily do, I find it hard to hold for very long, I recognize I need to work more on my endurance.

the challenges of keeping the crotchal region modest when the legs go their separate ways.

I've never heard of any man inadvertantly creating the upward facing snake pose
 Edsta
Msg: 194
Posted: 12/5/2009 5:41:49 AM

Part of it has to be the clothing involved and the challenges of keeping the crotchal region modest when the legs go their separate ways.

Yes, this is why it's best for guys to wear running shorts because they usually come with a built-in liner to keep your goods securely tucked away no matter what...
 Edsta
Msg: 195
Posted: 12/5/2009 5:52:26 AM
Scorpiomover,

You make a very compelling case, and I'd be curious to check out your yoga class...it sounds like Iyengar yoga, which emphasizes alignment and holding poses much longer than other schools. I've mostly done Ashtanga and Hatha yoga, wherein the poses are held for 3-5 breaths tops.

I was intrigued by your account of how different your body now looks and how women respond to it, so out of curiousity I looked at your profile pics...and was very surprised. Are those old, pre-yoga photos?
 scorpiomover
Msg: 196
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2009 11:38:08 AM
RE Msg: 196 by Edsta:
You make a very compelling case, and I'd be curious to check out your yoga class...it sounds like Iyengar yoga, which emphasizes alignment and holding poses much longer than other schools.
I didn't do it in a class at all. I got a book on Sivananda Yoga. I used to do it with my flat-mate, and we'd give each other tips. My ideas about Yoga were a combination of what I read, and what felt right by experience.

I've mostly done Ashtanga and Hatha yoga, wherein the poses are held for 3-5 breaths tops.
If that's all you were doing, you'd easily get more of a workout with weights. The body just isn't being taxed enough at all during any one pose to make any real impact.

I was intrigued by your account of how different your body now looks and how women respond to it, so out of curiousity I looked at your profile pics...and was very surprised. Are those old, pre-yoga photos?
I did it when I was 26. I didn't keep it up, and it shows. A lot. I'm still not that out of shape. But I know what I was like.
 Edsta
Msg: 197
Posted: 12/5/2009 11:52:33 AM
^^^ Ah, now it's all starting to make much more sense. I'll look into Sivananda yoga, thanks.

One last question: how'd you know how long to hold each pose? Were you using a clock/timer, just counting your breaths, or just going by how your body felt each time?
 scorpiomover
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2009 6:40:26 PM
RE Msg: 198 by Edsta:
One last question: how'd you know how long to hold each pose? Were you using a clock/timer, just counting your breaths, or just going by how your body felt each time?
It's in the book. Some were counts of breaths, like the breathing exercises. Some were rounds, like the Sun Salutation. Some were time-based, like the major poses.

But the key with all of them, is to tailor it to you. If you push too far, you do yourself an injury, and then it takes days to heal, and the whole incremental low-impact doesn't work.

I found for myself there are 2 biting points, like in a stick-shift. There is about as far as you can go without any effort, then there is a little bit farther, when you use a tiny bit of effort, and then there is when it starts to hurt. I found that after a while, I could feel when I was at each boundary, like a biting-point, because I had to make more effort, to get over the boundary. I found that in the zero-effort zone, you didn't get much improvement. In the pain-zone, you got improvement, but you overdid it, and so you had to give yourself time to heal every week. The best improvement I had, by far, was when I stayed in the middle zone, a bit of effort, but no real pain, like when you do a stretch, and you know you're stretching a bit, but it's still quite comfortable to hold it for a few minutes.

The same is true of how long to stay in it. Only stay in the pose as long as you are comfortable. In the beginning, you may find that 10 seconds in the shoulderstand is a lot. Doesn't matter. Take your time. If you do, then you build up really quickly. But if you try to do too much too soon, you'll pull a muscle, or overstretch, and then the time healing will take a lot more time to do it slow but steady.

But this requires paying attention to your body. Think of it like a well-oiled machine. It already runs damn well. You're trying to give it a tune-up, not replace the cylinders. So treat it the same. If it's a little out of notch, give it a tweak. If it screams, stop.
 scubadiver6911
Msg: 199
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2009 7:04:10 PM
I attend pilates, yoga and power flex classes in the mornings and it is true there are more women in these classes but I think it is because most men are working during the day then these women. Power flex is lifting weights and cardio, how to you explain that there were only 2 men including myself and about 30 women in the class this morning!
 ungadoodled
Msg: 200
Posted: 12/8/2009 5:38:08 AM
I took a yoga class about 3 years ago, and i was in the back, and the teacher (male) said i would like to see one of those big muscly bodybuilders do a pose like this, im not a bodybuilder but i do alot of powerlifting. I yelled from the back, id like to see anyone here squat 700 lbs. LOL

Yoga - is a great. But you can suppliment yoga with stretching. Which should always be done before bed. Do not wake to yoga, the stretches will reduce power and elasticity in your muscle groups for the day. If its done before bed, you will recover and be fresh for the next morning.
 IdiotLuckBox
Msg: 201
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2009 4:49:12 PM

i'm going on tuesday, hot yoga, morning (yuck), will report back on the good and bad and if i will return or not

was a great workout, has some good practical appliactions for the sports i like, hot chicks in the class certainly don't hurt either, would buy again, 10/10
 P-Willikers
Msg: 202
Posted: 1/19/2013 11:32:49 PM
Think yoga's not "manly" enough? Check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pIgs03TYo4

....the "good" stuff starts around the 50 second mark....
Guruji had rediculous flexibility AND STRENGTH! Those backbends work the paraspinal muscles like nothing else!
Notice how there's not one quiver or shake during that whole sequence... tremendous muscular endurance!
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2013 2:34:54 AM

Its hard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pIgs03TYo4

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Whoaaaaa He is something.

I would think that took some extraordinary discipline and time to be able to do.
Inspiring.

Notice how there's not one quiver or shake during that whole sequence... tremendous muscular endurance!

^^^^^^^^^^^
That is absolutely amazing..
 UPTOYOU65
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2013 4:40:26 AM
I don't know why unless they think it's not a good workout. I have done yoga in the past and if you keep your form and hold your poses correctly it is without a doubt a good workout.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 205
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2013 8:41:17 AM

don't think it will take long for the men in the west to catch up to the men in the east once they see what it can do for them on a very personal level.

Actually, it was like this since I started going to gyms in the early 1970's. Yoga was actually more popular then.

I've always worked out but no yoga for me but each totheir own. I get my 'clear mind', thoughts on track , etc, via physical activity...expecially running and hiking. As for stress relief,,,I don't have much stress, but feel better after a tough game of soccer or tennis....or great sex. Men are full of testosterone. I'm guessing a release of aggression in some form (no, not violence) probably soothes the beast. If I was sitting in a room full of yoga performing females, my thoughts would be focused on which ones I want to do the deed with.
 Midwest_Southwest
Msg: 206
Posted: 1/20/2013 9:16:47 AM
The guys I dated over age 45 resisted doing yoga, but it wasn’t because it wasn’t a good enough physical workout- it was resistance to the centering and mind/body element. That said, when I lived in a college town there were athletes from the university who went regularly, including some football linemen types. Pretty neat.
 sunriseguy5
Msg: 207
Posted: 1/20/2013 9:55:12 AM
i do yoga and i know some guys that do yoga too. I also do cardio via elliptical machine and body sculpting with free weights and circuit machines 5 times a week and yoga about once or twice a week. i am more of an intermediate beginner yoga practitioner. Yoga is great for the back and spine, and it improves my joint health and helps in my body sculpting and maintaining a athletic physique. who says yoga isn't manly? yoga aid in manliness because i get compliments from women about my athletic physique quite often. A nd more guys are doing yoga at my gym these days.
 Chipsss
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2013 1:09:48 PM
I do Yoga sometimes. According to Geoffrey Devereux it also makes you physically stronger in such a way that does not involve muscle size.
 oldmannewlove
Msg: 209
Posted: 1/20/2013 4:09:59 PM
Well if I wouldn't have to be in public to do it I would probably try it, are there any books out there about men doing Yoga, can it be done in private. I need some form of exercise that is easy on me. I have known a lot of women who do yoga, I have never even heard of men doing it.
 sunriseguy5
Msg: 210
Posted: 1/20/2013 4:28:48 PM
dude, a lot of guys do yoga these days! in my gym, there are at least 10 guys on any given day. There nothing unmanly about yoga. the original yogis were dudes, dude. If you are self conscious, you could buy yoga dvds and do them at home. Rodney Yee is a famous yoga instructor and has dvds under Gaiam. Today i did yoga at home from a dvd, Tummy toners yoga with Rodney Yee and Cameron Shayne, both guy instructors, and this yoga workout is good for toning and sculpting the mid-section. That dvd runs for 45 mins if you do both Rodney and Cameron's workout back to back.

the thing about yoga, you got to take your time and don't push your yoga poses too hard or you could injure yourself. watch your pace and work within your limits because your flexibility and endurance will increase overtime.

namaste!
 Blueberryeggos
Msg: 211
Posted: 1/20/2013 9:33:11 PM
Tried a few classes. I just prefer intensity and impact. When my body is done with how I train I'll probably put more yoga in.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 212
Posted: 1/21/2013 8:56:38 PM
Most men do not like to stretch.
 sunriseguy5
Msg: 213
Posted: 1/21/2013 9:17:03 PM
people usually have to stretch out before any workout or they may pull something or injure themselves. Most guys and gals at the gym stretch out for a few minutes before working out (me included)
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 214
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2013 8:34:37 AM
I never pull any muscles when running or doing weights. I never stretch. What I do is start out with moderate weights or just jog slowly then pick up the pace. Done this for decades.

The controversy on 'stretching' has been going on forever. Fewer athletes today stretch than in the past. Most today 'warm up'.

Keeping active gives us all the flexibility we need in life unless one has a medical issue. Extra flexibility is more of a performance variable neded in a specific sport, dance, etc. Even then, it can have a negtive impact on out structure in the long term.
 P-Willikers
Msg: 215
Posted: 1/22/2013 10:41:30 AM

Most men do not like to stretch.

Proper yoga is more about stability and alignment than it is about stretching. I've been in workshops where the teacher constantly points out the ex-ballerina's poses as an example of how they can be improved, because these women are TOO flexible....

Proper yoga works the deep stabilizing muscles like nothing else... and can make you exceptionally strong. In case you missed it... check out the you tube vid I posted a few posts back... if that's not inspiring to someone building their strength... that someone is f*cked up... just sayin'.

Oh and btw, "proper" yoga to me would be any studio that teaches the Iyengar method exclusively. These teachers are the best. An Iyengar studio would probably be the best choice for a man who is interested, but still might be bound by the bullshit cultural idea that "yoga's for girls"
 mikecheck44
Msg: 216
Posted: 1/22/2013 11:10:43 AM
I am more of the type inclined to be spirtually enlightened due to having some issues with separating my ego from my true inner self. Yoga and meditation is helpful for this. And I agree with the poster who says don't do it in the morning. I find myself wanting to sleep after a yoga session because I feel too relaxed to do much else.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >